Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Camino LS6

Ya know, sometimes

56 posts in this topic

... I just feel like driving nothing but some gigantic coupe from about 1970 with the biggest big block I can find just to spit in the face of current convention. This feeling tends to attack upon encountering a Smart on the street. The thought of some growling, monster engined, coupe that is longer than a new Silverado bearing down on one of these little jokemobiles while spewing raw hydrocarbons through dual exhaust leaving twin black deposits on the front bumper of the Camry hybrid behind me just makes me smile.

I happen to have one of those in convertible form, though it pre-dates the 70s. :smilewide:

Can I borrow it?

Actually your Pontiac is way too clean, I was thinking of something like a Chrysler 300 with chalky faded paint and rusty quarters flapping in the breeze generated by it's running rich 440.

...with the windows down and the AC blasting. :neenerneener:

... I just feel like driving nothing but some gigantic coupe from about 1970 with the biggest big block I can find just to spit in the face of current convention. This feeling tends to attack upon encountering a Smart on the street. The thought of some growling, monster engined, coupe that is longer than a new Silverado bearing down on one of these little jokemobiles while spewing raw hydrocarbons through dual exhaust leaving twin black deposits on the front bumper of the Camry hybrid behind me just makes me smile.

I hear you...sometimes, I'd love to have a '71 Ford LTD Brougham 2dr ht with a 429 to bomb around in...or a '71 Buick Riviera w/ 455. Or a '71 Chevy Impala sport coupe w/ a 454. Or a '71 Coupe De Ville. Or something from my birth year, 1970.. something restored and in polished, clean shape. I wouldn't want a rusty clunker, though. Something respectable.

When I go back to Ohio Labor Day weekend, I'll have to take my Mom's '68 Cougar for a spin..hardtop, manual steering, manual brakes, 3spd manual, 302 V8, no A/C, am radio, mint condition, 65k miles. A pain in the arse to drive, but fun.

Edited by moltar

I hear you...sometimes, I'd love to have a '71 Ford LTD Brougham 2dr ht with a 429 to bomb around in...or a '71 Buick Riviera w/ 455. Or a '71 Chevy Impala sport coupe w/ a 454. Or a '71 Coupe De Ville. Or something from my birth year, 1970.. something restored and in polished, clean shape. I wouldn't want a rusty clunker, though. Something respectable.

Oh, I know, but the vision of some nasty dirty old rust barge lends itself to the vision of terrifying some eco-weenie in a Smart.

I actually once owned a '71 Impala Sport Coupe (but with a 350 rather than a 454). The grille was broken out and the front bumper pushed up a bit from eating a Honda at a stoplight (previous owner did it, not me). Come to think of it, that car might be suitable for the job! :AH-HA_wink:

Oh, I know, but the vision of some nasty dirty old rust barge lends itself to the vision of terrifying some eco-weenie in a Smart.

I actually once owned a '71 Impala Sport Coupe (but with a 350 rather than a 454). The grille was broken out and the front bumper pushed up a bit from eating a Honda at a stoplight (previous owner did it, not me). Come to think of it, that car might be suitable for the job! :AH-HA_wink:

Yeah, something like the worn out green '71 Eldorado in the movie 'The Highwayman'... a serial killer went around running people off the road with it.

>>"the vision of some nasty dirty old rust barge lends itself to the vision of terrifying some eco-weenie in a Smart."<<

Wanna borrow this? It's 7.5 feet tall. Should do the job.

40-09W.jpg

Edited by balthazar

Shoulda bought that rusty, 7.8 mpg `71 Sedan Deville XP was selling for around $500 a while back :P

Wish I had the money to buy it at the time. :(

>>"the vision of some nasty dirty old rust barge lends itself to the vision of terrifying some eco-weenie in a Smart."<<

40-09W.jpg

Ah, the secret weapon!

40-09W.jpg

Oh yeah..that could be scary, like the old Peterbuilt in 'Duel'...

the novas prob gonna be in flat black primer in the future, so when it is, (after my new mighty cam is installed as well) i feel like doing just that, driving around in a &#036;h&#33;ty looking, loud (open headers!) gas guzzler to stick it to prius and smart drivers :P

That truck reminds me of the truck in the American classic horror movie Scarecrow, where Scarecrow tries to drive the teenage couple off the road that were driving the 59 Chevy. I think that movie was called Scarecrow.

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

That truck reminds me of the truck in the American classic horror movie Scarecrow, where Scarecrow tries to drive the teenage couple off the road that were driving the 59 Chevy. I think that movie was called Scarecrow.

It was Jeepers Creepers.

Can I borrow it?

Actually your Pontiac is way too clean, I was thinking of something like a Chrysler 300 with chalky faded paint and rusty quarters flapping in the breeze generated by it's running rich 440.

...with the windows down and the AC blasting. :neenerneener:

It wasn't always that clean! One day I will post some of the rebuilding in the project car section...it's really a street rod constructed into stock form. It scares commuters when I take it to work occasionally.

I had a 1970 Chrysler New Yorker 4 door hardtop in Avocado green with a black vinyl top and a 440/4bbl (and front disc brakes!). The front grille was steel. I loved that car!

It wasn't always that clean! One day I will post some of the rebuilding in the project car section...it's really a street rod constructed into stock form. It scares commuters when I take it to work occasionally.

I had a 1970 Chrysler New Yorker 4 door hardtop in Avocado green with a black vinyl top and a 440/4bbl (and front disc brakes!). The front grille was steel. I loved that car!

Yes please to the Pontiac pics/story!

Your New Yorker is pretty close to what I was picturing. A friend of mine had a '71 Chrysler 300 coupe with a 440 - the car was freakin' huge! The trunk could have held at least 8 bodies easy. Someone managed to jab a tire iron through the hood - it left a hole, but no dent. That car was made from some thick steel. It was so menacing coming toward you with its huge "full surround" bumper. That old Chrysler is the first car I think of when I want to scare commuters.

Yes please to the Pontiac pics/story!

Your New Yorker is pretty close to what I was picturing. A friend of mine had a '71 Chrysler 300 coupe with a 440 - the car was freakin' huge! The trunk could have held at least 8 bodies easy. Someone managed to jab a tire iron through the hood - it left a hole, but no dent. That car was made from some thick steel. It was so menacing coming toward you with its huge "full surround" bumper. That old Chrysler is the first car I think of when I want to scare commuters.

I think a Crown Vic PI would be nice to have for a commuter car..black w/ the push bars, spotlights...other drivers would wonder if it was a cop or not.

I like those C-body Chryslers....huge cars...so wide, so long..the roof looked tiny on the huge body, nearly symmetrical hood/deck lengths. The Imperials were even larger.

'Joy Ride' had one, a '71 Newport, IIRC.

Edited by moltar

The car was a battlewagon, you could stuff about 7 people into it. Such a weird dash - it had big toggle switches and a chrome wheel for the AC temp control.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room