No camo: CTS Coupe

HarleyEarl

The best I can say is BUTT UGLY. I do mean just the back of the car. The trunk is too high up into the rear window. Has anyone at GM seen a modern coupe recently???? This is looking as bad as the last failed GM coupe ( the G6). No wonder GM believes people don't want to buy coupes.

Something about it reminds me of the M Coupe of years past, but on a larger scale.

That said, I like it.

ETA: Did anyone notice the small "Cadillac" script on the back?

Edited by Lamar

Overall I loev it, but what a lost opportunity to take on

Mercedes' CLK class cars with their ultra-sexy hardtop

styling. GM is great at one thing: compromising. :(

Another chance to make a real, honest to goodness

World-class product that makes no apologies, & here

we are already looking at a ruined product before it

even hits the showrooms and the press have their

stabs at it.

More and more, GM sucks at life. <_<

stabs at it.

Would be nice, but Cadillac probably only has 1/100th of Mercedes development budget... :( A hardtop with a rear and greenhouse like the last Eldorado would be great, but not going to happen. (I thought the last Eldo would have made a great hardtop...)

Edited by moltar

stabs at it.

More and more, GM sucks at life. <_<

There's a post I never expected! :rolleyes:

It's so reliable, the Swiss could build watches from it.

I luv it, I luv it. It will be a stunner on the street. This will be a favorite for adding huge wheels and doing the blvd cruising thing.

It's sexy modern fresh. So glad they went with this fastback look. Man, I want one.

White is not it's color, though..it think it look much better in dark colors, like the sedan does, IMHO...

The back is too high giving it a hatch look, I agree with Moltar on that. The door looks like it doesn't fit the car, perhaps a test mule problem. The grille is what I have the most problem with, it is all gray plastic, it already looks faded and old, they can't come up with a painted or metal grille like every other luxury car has?

Fastback look from the profile or 3/4-view looks quite hot, but the rear bumper comes off as pretty squared off to my eye. I need to see a RP car. Doesn't give me the impression of a hatch; none I know of have that much rake & 'at-speed' attitude. Kudos for bringing back a Cadillac hallmark: thru the bumper exhaust, and not copying BMW by placing it maddeningly off center by 2 inches. Overall it will make a big mark in the lux coupe segment, IMO.

Very nice, but I like the wagon more. Since I will be turning 40 next year, I need a place to put the wheelchair. :smilewide:

Heh-heh... the coupe would be a nice 40th birthday gift to myself. Though a Camaro SS convertible would be awfully nice also. We will see come June 2010.

Eh, I like teh wagon and sedan but I'm ashamed to say I'm not really a fan of the Coupe... I'm also gonna echo 68s disappointment at it having a B-Pillar, I can understand such a decision on big volume like the Camaro but I think that like Benz they may have been able to pull it off. I was in a Pontiac showroom last night where I saw a White G6 Convertible with the top up and all four windows rolled down.... It was quite the statement.

I believe some of it visually is that little fender vent- makes the front clip seem even lower than it is.

Rear fascia really IS high on this car- it's '70s Challenger/Cuda high, but higher still. Bottom edge of rear bumper is almost at the top of the rear rim. Unprecedented.... but it still works. CTS sedan looks great & has attitude, but I've got to give Cadillac kudos here, they didn't merely make a 2-dr out of a 4-dr; this is bold and doesn't apologize for it. That by itself is fantastic.

All the pictures make it look like it is in an emergency braking situation. Why is the front end sinking so low?

WKA2008030553072_pv.jpg

Optical illusion of silver car on gray background. The front and middle portions of the car are level...the ass is just way up in the air.

Optical illusion of silver car on gray background. The front and middle portions of the car are level...the ass is just way up in the air.

And the beltine definitely is sloping downward from the rear to the front...it's a wedgy shape.

CTS sedan looks great & has attitude, but I've got to give Cadillac kudos here, they didn't merely make a 2-dr out of a 4-dr; this is bold and doesn't apologize for it. That by itself is fantastic.

Yes...I was shocked when I first saw the concept...I had assumed it would have the same trunklid, rear quarter shape, roofline, etc of the sedan, but noooo...they went bold. Can't wait to see it in person.

All the pictures make it look like it is in an emergency braking situation. Why is the front end sinking so low?

WKA2008030553072_pv.jpg

That's whats so hot about it.

The design conveys an energy and makes the car look like it's about to pounce.

Of course, I drive a Focus ZX3 (Which has a lot of the same design/stance qualities -- not saying the cars look alike, but the same feeling is there) so that might be one reason I like it.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

The grille is what I have the most problem with, it is all gray plastic, it already looks faded and old, they can't come up with a painted or metal grille like every other luxury car has?

Oh, snap. A client of mine has an '08 bmw 535xi (indifferent fit-n-finish on the exterior, BTW). I approached it with the above post in mind, fully expecting to find a metal grille. After all, {cue angels singing}; it's a bmw. As usual, bmw never fails to disappoint me. Nostrils are all vacuum plated plastic, vertical bars are plastic. I suspect every bmw is the same way. Bars were black with vacuum-chrome edges, but the black paint makes all their cars look like the grilles are missing on the road. Not a better treatment, to be sure. Not to mention, it's wretchedly tired.

BTW II : CTS-V and (previous gen) Sport models have stainless steel wire mesh grilles.

Edited by balthazar

I want to like it, but I still can't. The rear end is so huge it looks like has a full diaper. The profile almost reminds me of a J-body hatchbacks (which I liked), but it's too high for even that.

Hopefully my opinion will improve when I see it in person, as it did with the Malibu and G8.