Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
InvictaMan

Buick's Future May Be Chinese!

65 posts in this topic

Buick may be sold to Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation (SAIC). To get the details, read the article linked below.

The rapidly slimming General Motors might soon cast off another brand, according to a Chinese media report. General Motors is considering selling its Buick division to the Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation (SAIC), according to financial newspaper the Shanghai Securities News.

The deal could potentially involve a sale the Buick name only, or it could include the sale of plants, tooling, and designs to SAIC. Buick is extremely popular in China, despite its relatively limited success in America.

The Obama administration has apparently asked General Motors to slim to just three brands, the report says. With the Hummer brand up for sale, Saab’s future in question, Saturn likely to be spun-off or killed, Pontiac being phased out, and Opel potentially for sale, it’s easy to see how this might be achieved. In fact, wouldn’t be surprised if Chevrolet, Cadillac, and GMC are the only brands left standing when the dust settles.

General Motors is hoping to restructure to the satisfaction of the Obama administration by the end of May, in order to receive more government aid. If this fails, GM will be forced into Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings.

Although the sale of Buick is strictly a rumor at this time, it opens the door to a great deal of speculation. For example, what would happen to Buick’s stylish new U.S.-specific 2010 LaCrosse? We’re pretty sure GM would not scrap the model entirely. Could it become a Chevrolet? We wouldn’t rule that out.

Link to Leftlane article HERE.

Edited by Dodgefan

Interesting..well, Buick does currently does more sales volume in the China than the US, don't they?

Interesting..well, Buick does currently does more sales volume in the China than the US, don't they?

Yes, which is one reason this isn't good news. China is Buick's sole reason to be, and means major profits for GM in an expanding market.

At this point I hope Pontiac gets sold too. I even think Hyundai would manage the brand better than GM has.

Actually, I'm hoping GMNA goes under, Holden buys Pontiac, ships their cars here and rebrands them as Pontiacs.

Edited by CaddyXLR-V

Wouldn't doubt it, look at their Genesis Coupe. It's affordable performance. Wasn't that the idea behind Pontiac?

At this point I hope Pontiac gets sold too. I even think Hyundai would manage the brand better than GM has.

Actually, I'm hoping GMNA goes under, Holden buys Pontiac, ships their cars here and rebrands them as Pontiacs.

I'd sign up for the Holden thing Immediately.

But, losing Buick seals the fate of Pontiac and GMC - not good.

Problem is, the only thing Holden has of value are the Commodore and Caprice/Statesman lines...and Pontiac already has the G8. The rest of Holden's line are just Opel rebadges and generic Chevy/Daewoo FWD crap...

At first I thought, I don't buy it. There's no reason to. But then again everything is for sale at a price. The real question is what's Buick worth to the Chinese...$5B, $10B, 20B$? If it's closer to the upper end, I could see it happening. GM wouldn't leave China though - maybe GM gives up Buick and continues to grow Chev in China with the DAT stuff and puts Cadillac up against Buick?

The reference to "three brands" in the US makes sense if it's Chev, Cadillac and PBG. But then again, the only real winner Buick has in the US right now is the Enclave. Is there time to rebadge the LaCrosse as a Caprice? Or, maybe a Bonneville? I would hate to strand GMC dealers on their own in that it only sells trucks - so that can't be a serious option.

I'd sign up for the Holden thing Immediately.

But, losing Buick seals the fate of Pontiac and GMC - not good.

I don't know, I don't really see any upside in Buick. I don't see Buick catching on and taking the sales Pontiac loses. If Pontiac loses the G5, G6, Vibe, those sales will probably go to Chevy, not Buick. I think Pontiac could survive with GMC if given the right products, with or without Buick.

Problem is, the only thing Holden has of value are the Commodore and Caprice/Statesman lines...and Pontiac already has the G8. The rest of Holden's line are just Opel rebadges and generic Chevy/Daewoo FWD crap...

That's not a bad place to start, Holden regularly trounces BMW down under, it would be fun to watch them give it a try here.

And I'd help. :AH-HA_wink:

I don't think Holden would import into the US, they're not low enough on the cost side - the duties would kill them.

Well if Holden gets a piece of Alpha, and keeps Zeta, Pontiac could have a full line up of each. midsize coupe sedan and wagon/hatch, and fullsize sedan coupe ute and wagon.

I don't know, I don't really see any upside in Buick. I don't see Buick catching on and taking the sales Pontiac loses. If Pontiac loses the G5, G6, Vibe, those sales will probably go to Chevy, not Buick. I think Pontiac could survive with GMC if given the right products, with or without Buick.

I see only a tiny chance of that working, and you'd have to change Pontiac back into a full lineup to make it possible.

No, I think Pontiac and GMC would go away.

I don't think Holden would import into the US, they're not low enough on the cost side - the duties would kill them.

That all depends on the exchange rate - which is quite good at the moment.

And I think most (if not all) of the duties have been eliminated.

That all depends on the exchange rate - which is quite good at the moment.

And I think most (if not all) of the duties have been eliminated.

I'm not sure. I thought there was at least 2.5% from down under = $500 on $20k. Also, depends on where the Aussie dollar is in comparison.

Also made me wonder. If the Ute is classed as a truck, wouldn't the duty be a lot higher. Maybe that's what killed it from coming to the US.

Also made me wonder. If the Ute is classed as a truck, wouldn't the duty be a lot higher. Maybe that's what killed it from coming to the US.

Could be... it's too bad the wagon couldn't come to the US as a G8 sportwagon and the Caprice/Statesman as a Chevy Caprice or Lucerne replacement.

Not going to happen, now, so much Zeta potential and possibilities that have been lost--just water under the bridge, as the GM bridges over troubled water collapse........as the GM bus heads off the freeway onto the exit ramp to nowhere.. (yeah, all getting metaphorical..)

Edited by moltar

No.

Those were lifted or it would not have been planned for our market at all.

Yes, because that would make too much sense. I don't actually think it will happen, but I would be happy if it did.

+1

I'd have a new place to hang my automotive hat.

Not sure how I feel about this. Selling our domestic soul to the Chinese. Well, if it happens we can only blame ourselves and GM for waiting decades to build Buicks people here would want...

Not sure how I feel about this. Selling our domestic soul to the Chinese. Well, if it happens we can only blame ourselves and GM for waiting decades to build Buicks people here would want...

Yup.

This actually makes more sense than selling the other brands. After all, Buick is the stodgiest of all the GM brands. No one takes it seriously except for the die hard blue hairs.

It will be sad to see GM systematically dismantled but its better than losing the whole company. I would hate to see GM lose its position in China. They need to work something out to stay ahead in the emerging Chinese market.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0