Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oracle of Delphi

Vermont lawmakers legalize gay marriage

46 posts in this topic

MONTPELIER, Vt. - Vermont on Tuesday became the fourth state to legalize gay marriage — and the first to do so with a legislature's vote.

The House recorded a dramatic 100-49 vote — the minimum needed — to override Gov. Jim Douglas' veto. Its vote followed a much easier override vote in the Senate, which rebuffed the Republican governor with a vote of 23-5.

Vermont was the first state to legalize civil unions for same-sex couples and joins Connecticut, Massachusetts and Iowa in giving gays the right to marry. Their approval of gay marriage came from the courts.

Tuesday morning's legislative action came less than a day after Douglas issued a veto message saying the bill would not improve the lot of gay and lesbian couples because it still would not provide them rights under federal and other states' laws.

Override 'not unexpected'

Douglas called override "not unexpected." He had called the issue of gay marriage a distraction during a time when economic and budget issues were more important.

"What really disappoints me is that we have spent some time on an issue during which another thousand Vermonters have lost their jobs," the governor said Tuesday. "We need to turn out attention to balancing a budget without raising taxes, growing the economy, putting more people to work."

House Speaker Shap Smith's announcement of the vote brought an outburst of jubilation from some of the hundreds packed into the gallery and the lobby outside the House chamber, despite the speaker's admonishment against such displays.

Among the celebrants in the lobby were former Rep. Robert Dostis, D-Waterbury, and his longtime partner, Chuck Kletecka. Dostis recalled efforts to expand gay rights dating to an anti-discrimination law passed in 1992.

"It's been a very long battle. It's been almost 20 years to get to this point," Dostis said. "I think finally, most people in Vermont understand that we're a couple like any other couple. We're as good and as bad as any other group of people. And now I think we have a chance to prove ourselves here on forward that we're good members of our community."

Dostis said he and Kletecka will celebrate their 25th year together in September.

"Is that a proposal?" Kletecka asked.

"Yeah," Dostis replied. "Twenty-five years together, I think it's time we finally got married."

The House initially passed the bill last week with a 95-52 vote.

Link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30089125/

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

What the hell is the fascination with state-by-state gay marriage rulings lately ?????

Are we to look forward to 40-something more topics on this ??

Haha, the governor can go f**k himself.

Don't want it to be an issue or waste time and money? Should have been legal from the start you stupid douche. :P

What the hell is the fascination with state-by-state gay marriage rulings lately ?????

Well, I'm going to go with...

• It's important to several members on this site
  • It's important to the whole"equality" thing our country was supposedly built upon.

The nice thing about headlines is that if you don't want to read the whole story, you have just wasted 10 seconds of your life.

Washington D.C. is close to passing a law recognizing civil unions. Its going to continue to be a story until people quit being concerned about it, so it will be in the news until its either legal everywhere or the group(s) that oppose it realize they're fighting for a lost cause.

Are there members here looking to 1. get married, and 2. travel to whichever nearest state there is to do it ??

Because I somehow missed that heart-wrenching, earnestly-pleading thread.

If there is such a pair, would not a friendly PM serve the same purpose with less bandwidth ?

Yea, yea: if I don't like it, don't click in.

While more than aware of the lounge's function/practice over the last 7 years, it's just recently been disproportionally weighed, IMO, esp vs. the million other things this country (and us, in turn) should be concerned with... (nearly all of which border on forbidden politics by the end of page 1).

Washington D.C. is close to passing a law recognizing civil unions. Its going to continue to be a story until people quit being concerned about it, so it will be in the news until its either legal everywhere or the group(s) that oppose it realize they're fighting for a lost cause.

Which based on the benchmark of abortion groups could be centuries...

Are there members here looking to 1. get married, and 2. travel to whichever nearest state there is to do it ??

Because I somehow missed that heart-wrenching, earnestly-pleading thread.

If there is such a pair, would not a friendly PM serve the same purpose with less bandwidth ?

While more than aware of the lounge's function/practice over the last 7 years, it's just recently been disproportionally weighed, IMO, esp vs. the million other things this country (and us, in turn) should be concerned with... (nearly all of which border on forbidden politics by the end of page 1).

I'll post it if you really want me to.... but suffice it to say that 25% of this site's population are of alternate sexuality and a large segment of the "regulars" are gay.

A great many more members of this site care about gay marriage than there are members who care about B-pillars....... not that there's anything wrong with that.

I'm straight. Most of the people I interact with on a daily basis are straight. I see no personal benefit from gay marriage being legalized, but I feel very strongly that it should be legalized.

I'm straight. Most of the people I interact with on a daily basis are straight. I see no personal benefit from gay marriage being legalized, but I feel very strongly that it should be legalized.

What he said.

It'll be interesting to see if NH passes a seatbelt law before gay marriage.... Any bets?

I posted it because the Governor fought it so much. Did someone force your hand on the mouse, and make you click on the thread and read it? You might think you're an Admin here, but you're not ...

What he said.

Same here.

Is this your way of proposing, PCS? Because I don't mean to embarrass you in front of everyone, but I'll have to think about it.:mellow:

Is this your way of proposing, PCS? Because I don't mean to embarrass you in front of everyone, but I'll have to think about it.:mellow:

:smilewide: You're not my type ...

I have no problems supporting the rights of others provided they support my rights as well.

Lets get some interesting threads in here instead of gay marriage ones since the argument usually turns out: with the same responses. Either It should be legal for all. Or the government shouldn't recognize any of it (defacto approval). Or maybe one person opposing it.

And since Olds does not disagree with the non-recognition of marriage so long as the legally binding papers exist to distribute your own rights (such as property and such) provided that heterosexuals are not granted recognition either, it is not really even a fun thread to go through. (just no abortion threads cause those will always be divided and there's no point, its been nearly 50/50 since it was legalized).

Here we go:

http://www.wtkr.com/news/wtkr-military-bla...0,5041991.story

Military Used Pigs In Blasts To Test Armor

discuss.

Edited by Teh Ricer Civic!

And since Olds does not disagree with the non-recognition of marriage so long as the legally binding papers exist to distribute your own rights (such as property and such) provided that heterosexuals are not granted recognition either, it is not really even a fun thread to go through.

That's really what it boils down to. Sexuality should not determine how laws apply to you.

This is great news for those in the gay community who wish to get married. It's not for me personally, but I am happy for those who now have the opportunity to join in marriage.

This is going to take time. Just like recognizing that people that were not white deserved the same benefits as being white took time.

I like VT. It's not overly far from me and it's a beautiful state. Good, I'll have my wedding there.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room