Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Idea's... for my next car and its a poll... UPDATE 2

gm4life

My next car...  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What used GM car should I get?

• 2001-2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT Coupe L36 Special Edition or 40th Edition
    • 2008-2009 Pontiac G5 Coupe XFE 5spd (Used)
    • 2008-2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe XFE LS/LT 5spd (Used)

Go ahead pick you favorite one or two cars. Try not to select more than three! Keep in mind my needs, has to have a nice size trunk, good performance (think like my SLE, good), can be driven for fun on the weekends and also driven to school/work by my son or I during the week, should be a good car with few expensive repairs, oh and it must be GM. If it isn't on the list it isn't being considered!

2008-2009 Cobalt XFE Coupe...

I really like the fuel economy and the fact that it has a nice trunk and is a 5spd is a bonus. If I got one I would wish I had a G5 anyways.

2008-2009 G5 XFE...

Same as the Cobalt but way better looking.

2001-2002 Grand Prix GT Coupe...

Always loved the look of these. Finding them in good shape with low miles is hard, but in my budget but it is a 7 maybe 8 year old car. Also the Special Edition Models with the spoiler and wheels were sweet!

Final Thoughts

My budget is basically 8,000 if I am going used I might be able to slide it to 9,000 if I go new. Having said that I think a used is prolly the way to go. I have found a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT Coupe Special Edition in Galaxy Silver all stock with 51K on it but it is 500 miles away and he is asking $8,400 about 1,000 actually more like 1,500 to much for the car. But my son has fallen in love, with those coupe GP's. Frankly so have I.

Anyone know how rare the 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT/GTP Coupe/Sedan Special Editions are? Or the 2002 40th anni models? How about the 2003 Limited Edition models? Those by far with the multi-spoke chrome wheels and two tone interiors are the best looking and sweet badging and tips out back are a bonus. If I could do one of these I would, but they are hard to find!

Any comment or ideas? Either way please vote!

Down to those three options... So vote!

Edited by gm4life

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought about picking it just to be an ass. :P

You would, but I trust you... So this is getting interesting... Any thoughts? I am trying to stay away from an Aveo5 or a G3! Not to be encouraged to buy one! That is why I came up with a list!

Voted.

If you're looking at GPs (and that seems to be the direction you're leaning) would you consider a late model Regal LS or even a base LaCrosse? Same car mechanically as the GPs you mentioned, but in all likelihood they will have been babied rather than beat on.

Voted.

If you're looking at GPs (and that seems to be the direction you're leaning) would you consider a late model Regal LS or even a base LaCrosse? Same car mechanically as the GPs you mentioned, but in all likelihood they will have been babied rather than beat on.

What they are missing is the EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sweet, a microscopic version of the Pontiac 3-spoke wheel design. Is that a G.0000000125?

G2...I suppose the next gen of it will be a rebadged Spark? A G2 GXP with the nostril hood scoops would be badass..

Edited by moltar

Anyone know how rare the 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT/GTP Coupe/Sedan Special Editions are? Or the 2002 40th anni models? How about the 2003 Limited Edition models? Those by far with the multi-spoke chrome wheels and two tone interiors are the best looking and sweet badging and tips out back are a bonus. If I could do one of these I would, but they are hard to find!

Any comment or ideas? Either way please vote!

My first car in high school was a red 2001 Grand Prix GT Special Edition, a total pile. Sure it looked great but ended up costing thousands in repairs over the course of two and a half years. Catalytic converter, bearings, tie rods, struts, fuel pressure regulator, power steering pump, rack and pinion steering replaced, electrical shorts all over the place, would overheat with the AC on in the summer which the dealer could never fix.

Oh yeah and those great multi-spoke chrome rims, well they started leaking like mad last spring. The ABS was going off like crazy and the light was on on the dash so naturally the dealer thought it was a faulty sensor on the wheel bearing. It was replaced (for the second time) and things were fine for about a month before the same problem returned. They replaced the bearing again (3rd time) and things were still not fine so finally they figured out that it was because the rim leaked (due to corrosion) so I had it resealed. The problem mostly went away but the day before I traded it in the ABS light kicked back on so who knows.

This gen of Grand Prix is getting old and they are at the point where they are going to nickel and dime you to death. I recommend something newer

My first car in high school was a red 2001 Grand Prix GT Special Edition, a total pile. Sure it looked great but ended up costing thousands in repairs over the course of two and a half years. Catalytic converter, bearings, tie rods, struts, fuel pressure regulator, power steering pump, rack and pinion steering replaced, electrical shorts all over the place, would overheat with the AC on in the summer which the dealer could never fix.

Oh yeah and those great multi-spoke chrome rims, well they started leaking like mad last spring. The ABS was going off like crazy and the light was on on the dash so naturally the dealer thought it was a faulty sensor on the wheel bearing. It was replaced (for the second time) and things were fine for about a month before the same problem returned. They replaced the bearing again (3rd time) and things were still not fine so finally they figured out that it was because the rim leaked (due to corrosion) so I had it resealed. The problem mostly went away but the day before I traded it in the ABS light kicked back on so who knows.

This gen of Grand Prix is getting old and they are at the point where they are going to nickel and dime you to death. I recommend something newer

Well the one I am eye-balling has 50,000 on it. So I'd hope it had some life left in it. Plus its a coupe, I have had great luck with my W-Body Impala. Thanks for the honest anwswer tho.