2006 Chevy Malibu/Maxx pictures

Northstar

I must say the changes make it look much better, even if it's still not the most attractive car ever. The new interior colors are better I think, and the chrome rings around the radio controls are a good touch. I don't much care for the steering wheel however.

Exterior pics:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Interior:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Looks like they introuced some contrast to the interior. It looks a whole lot better in there.

Its an improvement, but more could still be done-namely trim level reshuffling, front split bench for LS/LT (or, Base and LS rather), a few exterior trim shuffles, and maybe a more SSR-inspired steering wheel-I've seen it in the flesh and it is by far the best of all Chevy steering wheels put together (then again, that's not hard considering how ugly and cheap/pedestrian looking most of them are).

This is a dumb question, but (in reference to the first interior pic) why would you have the front seat folded and the back seat not?  The back seat looks like it is going to be used for people purposes, with the DVD player being open and all, so is the person in back on the passenger side in need of a foot rest?

[post="715"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

And also of note, they took out the B-pillar on the passenger's side. :P

Wow....the black dash/door panel contrast to the beige and grey interior is what they should have done in the first place....!  It's much better (although I STILL don't like the center stack...and the radio/HVAC controls.

New front end is an improvement as well!

[post="67"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

perhaps there will be some good aftermarket center stack face panels available to get rid of that bland cover.

This is a dumb question, but (in reference to the first interior pic) why would you have the front seat folded and the back seat not?  The back seat looks like it is going to be used for people purposes, with the DVD player being open and all, so is the person in back on the passenger side in need of a foot rest?

[post="715"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

if you buy say, 4 dining room chairs that won't fit in the low height trunk, the fold flat front is a godsend.

BlkHhr104: To post a picture you need to first upload it to a hosting site. www.imageshack.us is a good one. Then, once you have the image uploaded, copy the url and paste it between

So it should look like this:

[img] url here [ /img] but without the spaces.

The front seat could be folded down in that pic just to show that it can be folded down, and also maybe to show the center stack which would otherwise be blocked by the seat.

Vast improvement on the exterior! It now looks much more in line with the rest of the Chevy lineup. Remarkable what a few simple touch-ups can do. The interior still looks a little spartan and drab for my liking. There are some improvements here and there, but, all things considered, it still doesn't look like a place I'd want to spend time in. Keep trying, Chevy!

New changes look good, especially on the front end and the interior, however, the LTZ wheels look like they were transplanted from the G6?  Are those the Chrome-Tec wheels offered on the GT?

Chief

[post="702"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No, they're the same LT Sedan rims offered since the Malibu debuted. They're now just chrome plated for 2006. I have those rims (non-chrome) on my '04 Malibu.

That LTZ sedan looks nice-bright-insert bodyside moldings, color-keyed OSRV mirrors....I'll still take an Impala because it seats 6 and has a real cloth interior. I saw on the Chevy website last night that the former LS (now LT) has the 4-cylinder standard, and the 2.2-liter at that. So stupid, I don't understand why they did it-and why the V-6 is still not an option for retail Malibu LS (former Base) models. Still a mighty unimpressive car overall-the next one needs more width (69" for a mid-size car is no longer valid, and hasn't been since the first Taurus came out-yet GM's done it anyway), it should be at least 71" wide, 72 preferred. It also needs to get that class-leading 17.1 cubic feet back-the 1997-2003/(04-05 Classic) may be one of the most mundane cars ever, but it had class-leading cargo space and good space efficiency-though it was slightly beat when the 2000 Saturn LS-Series sedan came out. And how about red and blue returns for the interior, along with real cloth upholstery and available 6-passenger seating? The prices are still a little high for non-LS models as well-that is one of many other things that needs to change.

Still a mighty unimpressive car overall-the next one needs more width (69" for a mid-size car is no longer valid, and hasn't been since the first Taurus came out-yet GM's done it anyway), it should be at least 71" wide, 72 preferred. It also needs to get that class-leading 17.1 cubic  feet back-the 1997-2003/(04-05 Classic) may be one of the most mundane cars ever, but it had class-leading cargo space and good space efficiency-though it was slightly beat when the 2000 Saturn LS-Series sedan came out. And how about red and blue returns for the interior, along with real cloth upholstery and available 6-passenger seating? The prices are still a little high for non-LS models as well-that is one of many other things that needs to change.

[post="1510"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree up until this point about width. 71 or 72 inches would get pretty tight in my garage, along with many I have seen in So. Cal. If the midsize gets this big, how big will Impala's need to get, and will the Cobalt grow too? I can't even imagine why someone would like thered and blue interiors, or anything for that matter of the pre- '04 Malibus, but maybe that's because my Mom had one in the late '90's...

To each his own I guess.

Yep, Chevy offered a Regal Blue on Base Impalas right on through 2005. I just took one more look at the 2006 Malibu page-you can't even get aluminum wheels not only on LS, but LT as well! What is up with that???? Many people buy aluminum wheels, so why is Chevy limiting them here? I remember on the 1997-2003 Malibu, you could get almost everything as a stand-alone option on the Base car as well as LS (now LS and LT). I also saw that to get the now-optional V-6 engine on LT, you have to get the 2LT package to do some. These marketing moves should cost that team their jobs, IMO. Its just really stupid, 9,000-steps backwards thinking.

What I don't understand about the G6 is that steering wheel. It was supposed to replace the ugly one completely... Yet, I can go to my dealer and see an 06 with it, and not the three spoke...!?!? As for Malibu... The interior is where I see the greatest improvement. I still think the exterior is quite ugly. The whole front fascia looks huge... too high. The headlights not matching the grill is really cheap and ruins the looks. The whole thing is just out-of-wack...

Don't worry. I remember someone saying before it's only to use up the old stock. Why destroy a whole stock of functional wheels just because they're ugly?? That's liquidating a lot of cash you know...

[post="2484"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Oh that is a smart idea i would have sadi the 3 spoke only came on the GT or GTP or something like that<< another thing dont u guys think that it shouldnt be GTP but it should be GXP or is that just a special package for the GP

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to be able to find a picture of an 05 and 06 Malibu side by side. I wonder when GM changed from the 05 to 06 model. Chevrolet sold 24,000 Malibus in August.

[post="8981"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Chevy did sell 24k Malibus in August, but that has more to do with the Classic being discontinued than anything else. Last year the Malibu and Classic sold 24k combined.

I honestly can't tell any difference in the interior aside from the new steering wheel. The exterior, however, looks smoother and more refined. It looks like they "sanded down" those character lines on the sides, and of course the obvious grille and front end revision. Looks like a lower body kit on the LTZ, and they *might* have redone the taillights (they look slightly smaller).

So I've seen about five or so '06 Malibus in the past two days. Three were LS and the other two looked to be LTs. I have to say, these photos are the first GM photography that are actually flattering to the car, because this has to be the car with the ugliest, cheapest-looking, most half-assed front end ever. Without that lower grille and fog lights, it looks even worse. It matches the rest of the car in no way; however, the rest of the car still looks decent. Never thought I'd say it, but the prior model was nicer looking.