Time to start trolling the lots for...

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DEATH WATCH DAY 2:

There was a small glimmer of hope for the Cutlass, but alas, it was not to be. When I got to work this morning, all of the clunkers had been moved to a different area in the lot but the Cutlass was still in the same spot. The keys were in the door so I got in, started her up, and took it for a ride around the lot; it ran and drove great. So I grabbed a salesman and asked him what the deal was and offered him a couple hundred bucks for it, giving him the old line about just selling it to me as-is instead of going through the hassle of prepping it for the auction, blah blah blah. So he writes the stock number down and tells me he'll find out. About a half hour goes by and he comes back and tells me no deal, it's a clunker. It's headed for the pile and I took its hood ornament for a souvenir. I would have bought it on the spot. Tried to save it but was shut down. And another one is gone forever.....

DEATH WATCH DAY 2:

There was a small glimmer of hope for the Cutlass, but alas, it was not to be. When I got to work this morning, all of the clunkers had been moved to a different area in the lot but the Cutlass was still in the same spot. The keys were in the door so I got in, started her up, and took it for a ride around the lot; it ran and drove great. So I grabbed a salesman and asked him what the deal was and offered him a couple hundred bucks for it, giving him the old line about just selling it to me as-is instead of going through the hassle of prepping it for the auction, blah blah blah. So he writes the stock number down and tells me he'll find out. About a half hour goes by and he comes back and tells me no deal, it's a clunker. It's headed for the pile and I took its hood ornament for a souvenir. I would have bought it on the spot. Tried to save it but was shut down. And another one is gone forever.....

What were her specs? Miles...photos? Check out the new thread I started...I seriously want to puke after watching videos of the destruction.

Hell, the guys on the Jeep Forum seem to be bragging about turning their jeeps in to be crushed.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread....3562&page=2

And xjoshxx is talking of turning his 87 Monte Carlo V8 in the "cash for clunkers" program to get a new car.

What did the OP on the Jeep forum get in trade for his Nice Ohio built Jeep...A Hyundai...

Amazing.

Chris

Notice how much Toyota seems to feature as the "new car" in this news thread.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/video?id=69356...c-video-6935677

...and notice how the "clunkers" are GM.

Chris

...and while I am post slutting....

This guy FOUGHT THE EPA to get rid of his Jeep...

http://www.cashforclunkersfacts.com/bill/tag/jeep-wrangler

Amazing...

Chris

And Actually, I didn't know it qualified but I've seen Honda Odyseas at dealerships in this program. Local Ford dealer has a gold one that looks damn near new. Wow!

Chris

...and another vehicle that suprised me, because it has a big following but...I've seen several Nissan Pathfinders in the program. A few in damn fine shape.

Suprised that resale ona Pathfinder is that low...but I'll gladly kill a pathfinder to use up the cash so Roadmasters and Monte Carlo's can live...

Chris

Idiot Honda driving neighbor tells Monte Carlo owner to trade in his Monte in Cash for Clunkers...

Another Moron is born every minute...

http://www.montecarloforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14958

Chris

...and I'll stop post sluting a minute. But I am bothered (obviously) by this program.

However, here is one VERY HAPPY cash for clunker transaction in my mind...you can all laugh...

http://www.xceedspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141801

Chris

Oh, and if XP715's cutty story makes you sick...read this from the Jeep Forum.

29K original mile Pristine 84 Cutlass destroyed.

Makes me sick.

http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22265

I dated my wife in a cutlass like that.

Chris

This idiot traded his V8 Firebird for a Prius....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31804730/ns/lo...ws-new_york_ny/

Chris

And thanks to a new federal 'Cash for Clunker' law, the 26-year-old from East Brunswick, New Jersey will soon be dumping the V-8 gas hog for a brand new Toyota Prius. That means switching up from trips of about 14 miles to the gallon to about 50 mpg.

"I'm trading in power for practicality," says Ritter.

:scratchchin: i'm already questioning his manhood, but i'll be in good company, so will all the girls he knows and doesnt hehehe

I went to the CARS website and found this

The CARS Act requires that the trade-in vehicle be crushed or shredded so that it will not be resold for use in the United States or elsewhere as an automobile. The entity crushing or shredding the vehicles in this manner will be allowed to sell some parts of the vehicle prior to crushing or shredding it, but these parts cannot include the engine or the drive train.

Perhaps some of these cars can at least become donors for others that need it.

An idea: buy the body for salvage and stuff a new motor and transmission in it.

XP: Hurry, snatch that Cutlass up after the motor is seized and put a new motor in it. Find something like an LT1.

That is a really good idea. Seriously. JUST DO IT!! :metal:

It seems I found a loophole.

I wonder, though, does the government record the VIN number and put that specific VIN on something like a "blacklist," preventing the car to be registered?

You know, I might even do that myself with some of the money obtained from the Firebird, if I find the right car to save. Just offer the dealer what the scrapyard would give them for the body, maybe an extra bit of change to boot just so that they can't refuse it.

Edited by YellowJacket894

And it's been suspended...

Hopefully for good. I surprised my brother & father tonight about the "rule" regarding seizing the engine and such, and they were beyond enraged. It drummed up a lot of new car sales, which was good, but unnecessarily destroyed some very useful/valuable rides, and moreso has yet to be paid for. Not a good situation to have all these dealers who've cut $3500-4500 off so many contracts and still don't have the actual cash to back that up, or even an idea of when they'll get it. Good going. A news story tonight went to one of the many Hyundai dealers and the sales manager was showing how the site they have to use stopped working and so far they haven't gotten anything, so it was becoming a worry. Gee, I wonder why.

Not a good situation to have all these dealers who've cut $3500-4500 off so many contracts and still don't have the actual cash to back that up, or even an idea of when they'll get it. Good going. A news story tonight went to one of the many Hyundai dealers and the sales manager was showing how the site they have to use stopped working and so far they haven't gotten anything, so it was becoming a worry. Gee, I wonder why.

:rotflmao:

There's a couple of Toyota dealers and a Kia dealer around here that I so hope they might "forget" to reimburse. Call it karma.

Edited by fightingbee

I stopped by the local Chevrolet dealer last night to see what else came in the Clunker lot...they took in a few nice cars last night, although nothing that I would lament seeing parted out and rid the earth of...but I asked the lot owner how they are getting paid. He did not know. So I asked how he gets rid of the cars once they are bought as clunkers...unknown. So I looked him in the eyes and said: "Wait a minute, you are writing contracts on all of these cars which you have valued at $4500 each and you have no idea when you are getting paid or how to get rid of them?!?! His blank stare was great...then I hit him again: "once you destroy the motors, the cars are basically only good for scrap and a few parts, right? Well, lets just say you sit on these for a few months and then the government tells you that they don't have the money to pay you the $4500 for each of these cars - what are you going to do then? You do know that the government is broke, right?--Where is your guarantee that you will be paid?" The color drained from his face and he just looked at me and shook his head and told me he had no idea, but that he had hated the program and that there were too many loose ends in the program, and worse yet, that the government was STUPID enough to not exclude Honda, Toyota and VW. It should have been American owned companies ONLY.

With that said, I think Jeep may be the biggest amount of the cars scrapped on this program - lots of GC's and Cherokees with CFC written on the windows. Some are damned nice!

There should be inspections and strict specific requirements mandated in order for a car to qualify for CFC. It should rank poor on a visual inspection and fail a mechanical inspection done by a reputable service tech. The total amount of the repair costs should exceed a percentage of its KBB value. Only then would this program work and work effectively and correctly, but our politicians are too stupid to do what really needs to be done.

Edited by YellowJacket894

There should be inspections and strict specific requirements mandated in order for a car to qualify for CFC. It should rank poor on a visual inspection and fail a mechanical inspection done by a reputable service tech. The total amount of the repair costs should exceed a percentage of its KBB value. Only then would this program work and work effectively and correctly, but our politicians are too stupid to do what really needs to be done.

LOGIC LIKE THIS HAS NO PLACE IN GOVERNMENT!!!

Is it not amazing how quickly they can vote to fund this with another $2B in less than 24 hours...yet complain that people are hungry or need medical attention they cannot afford??? there just is no end to the stupidity that is the U.S. government!

why blow the engine!!! why dont they give them to junkyards and then they can turn profits on them sicne I there are lots of good cars going to waste lots of them are clean.

With that said, I think Jeep may be the biggest amount of the cars scrapped on this program - lots of GC's and Cherokees with CFC written on the windows. Some are damned nice!

Jeeps are made in Toledo Ohio.

Sad to see so much built in my home state gone to scrap.

I think everyone in Toledo should wear black given the number of good Jeeps killed.

Chris

That or a Suburban either one.

Drive past the local Hyundai dealer on the way home. They must have been busy last night. 5 (Yeah 5) additional 'burbans on the dead line, as well as a really nice Grand Cherokee.

Grand Cherokee looked like it was six damn months old. It was a 2000 or something but the damn thing was just flawless.

Chris

I don't hate our government so much as think the plan is misguided.

Why does my local Lincoln-Mercury dealer have 2 CFC cars and my local Hyundai dealer is pushing 35-40?

Lots of families that need new cars are going to get rid of a POS.

Just hate to see something like a Roadmaster die...

Chris

The impact of removing roughly 750,000 cars from a country with hundreds and hundreds of millions of registered cars is not going to have much of a ripple effect. Countless workable cars go to the scrapper daily- this process is not much different. What will have a larger effect WRT the used car market is the economic contraction of the new car market by a third- that's 5 million less for the future used pool... that's going to raise the average used car price far more than the C4C scenario AFA the cash-strapped consumer is concerned.

Local Chevy dealer has about 10 vehicles of no particular or potential value other than as used cars. Only 1 had even a smidge of interest, and for me it was for design; I'd have no desire to own a circa 110 HP FWD 2-tonner : an '85 Riviera coupe.

Edited by balthazar

If the other videos haven't enraged you to the point of blood-thirst, watch this video:

I hate our f@#king government.

Interesting considering that Buick's MPG is too high to qualify, and that these days Honda sells the "gas guzzlers" (Ridgeline anyone?), not Buick.