toesuf94

Time to start trolling the lots for...

137 posts in this topic

Well, the Clunker Program is in full swing, and I have to tell you: It makes me sick. This is the STUPIDEST thing I think the government has ever wasted our money on, and really decent cars are going to be scrapped because of it. Further, I really think if the government had half a brain, they would have demanded that the trade ins could only be made on a domestic owned lot - Ford - GM - Chrysler - so that the money came back home, not further increase the trade deficits.

So, get out there, cruise the back lots and tell me what you find.

I will start off with a really nice '99 Wrangler YJ 6 cylinder 5 speed hard top - no rot, great shape...needed a bath...will never see the road again. I will tell you that I saw 7 cars behind our local dealer last night, all marked CLUNKER - NOT FOR SALE. I would have driven 4 of them proudly. They are destined for the crusher. WASTE!

Tell me what you find kids!

Further, I really think if the government had half a brain, they would have demanded that the trade ins could only be made on a domestic owned lot - Ford - GM - Chrysler - so that the money came back home, not further increase the trade deficits.

This

Yeah, an example of flawed logic is at this photo:

504x_Dealer-Clunkers-Sign.jpg

504x_Dealer-Clunkers-Motive.jpg

Greenbrier Volkswagen, Chesapeake VA

Notice how none of those are VWs, not even foreign. That poor GC and CV. :(

It begins!

I HATE THIS PROGRAM.

Look what one dealer wrote on Jalopnik:

I'm at Don Beyer Volvo in Falls Church, VA..

I HATE this program, I am responsible for blowing up the engines on all of these vehicles before they can be hauled off for crushing.

I am required to drain the oil, pour water mixed with Sodium Silicate into the crankcase and run the motor until it fatally blows up. ($15,000 Federal Penalty for each vehicle that this is not done to)

:o:angry::cussing:

The willfull killing of working cars is against my religion.

This makes me so mad....

Yeah, an example of flawed logic is at this photo:

Notice how none of those are VWs, not even foreign. That poor GC and CV. :(

Maybe I should do that with my Jeep. Working to fix the d*mn broken driver's seat track now.

Rob

Have I ever mentioned how I despise the throw away mentality of our society?

Yeah..it is ridiculous. Just kidding about scrapping my Jeep....but having the seat track break really ticked me off..

Rob

Yeah..it is ridiculous. Just kidding about scrapping my Jeep....but having the seat track break really ticked me off..

Rob

The actual track broke?

The actual track broke?

Yes...the notorious '99-04 Grand Cherokee driver's seat track problem bit me a week ago Sunday. The power mechanism works fine, all 8 ways..but the track metal sheared off on the left front corner and right rear corner, right below where the track bolts to the seat base. So the seat rocks side to side.

I was able to get the track unbolted from the floor last night...da*mn 115 degree heat..I despise Arizona with every fabric of my soul..got to get out of this state. Now I have to unbolt the seat from the track and disconnect the wiring. Ordered a shop manual DVD. I've found salvage, working tracks for $250 on ebay, better than paying $750-1000 for a dealer to replace the entire seat and track.

ARRRRGGGGHHHHHH

Rob

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Yes...the notorious '99-04 Grand Cherokee driver's seat track problem bit me a week ago Sunday. The power mechanism works fine, all 8 ways..but the track metal sheared off on the left front corner and right rear corner, right below where the track bolts to the seat base.

ARRRRGGGGHHHHHH

Rob

Well it looks like you'll find plenty of spare parts at the junkyard.

The Prizm had a seat issue where the cable came off so only one track worked. Easy enough to fix but required taking the seat out. Ever since the accident it's been messed up though. When we first got the Grand Marquis the previous owner had somehow managed to break the seat frame, separating the upper part from the track. I've not yet had a seat issue with my car, but they are a pain to remove, because you can't get at the rear bolts unless the seat is all the way forward, and the fronts unless it's all the way back. Not an issue with manual seats but a bit more so with power seats.

so they ARE blowing up the engines before they can be hauled away? Holy Crap is that a horrible thing to do to a working car or truck! The failed logic of this is beyond comprehension.

Sorry about the seat track...head over to the local dealers...so far I have counted 5 GC's on the clunker lists...you should be able to find a seat track...and if the dealer is cool, should let you slide on grabbing it - after all - YOU OWN IT.

In the photo posted by Dodgefan, we see $27,000 of our money helping the VW dealer sell cars after we just poured how much into the domestic makers?

This is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard off. Good cars will be hitting the crusher. I can only imagine how many wonderful early 90's Cadillac Devilles and Fleetwoods will be hitting the dirt.

The idea of the program is a great one. My gripe is that the requirements and minimums are too soft, mainly for trucks and other large vehicles. There needs to be more incentive for people who own older trucks and large vehicles to downgrade to passenger cars. As it is, someone who owns a 14mpg truck can trade it in for a 15mpg truck and get $3,500 cash. What a waste of resources. The fact that the cash is drying up too quick shows that the government was too lenient with the program.

As for customers trading in their domestic vehicle for a foreign one, whose fault is that? The domestic automakers for not doing their job and attracting customers.

Edited by siegen

Have I ever mentioned how I despise the throw away mentality of our society?

+1

Chris

This is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard off. Good cars will be hitting the crusher. I can only imagine how many wonderful early 90's Cadillac Devilles and Fleetwoods will be hitting the dirt.

Dude, you have NO IDEA. Before this program, at Ace Iron and Scrap, where I scrap Copper wire, LOTS of Caddy's buicks and Olds, many of them easy fixes, were dropped into the crusher whole.

I'm talking some nice looking vehicles, cars that look as nice as your Impala or even better.

Like Ted said, the wasting of cars is against my religion.

Chris

the only silver lining i can begin to see positive is the 87 model year cut off.

True.

I remember reading about how a factory Tri Power Pontiac (Catalina IIRC) went to the crusher whole a few years ago in Cali.

Also, someone turned in a fully restored award winning 41 Chevrolet Pickup truck, stock restored, that also went to the crusher. Read about that one too...I think someone's relative died and they just sold it to the Clunker program and they crushed it.

Chris

Well, the Clunker Program is in full swing, and I have to tell you: It makes me sick. This is the STUPIDEST thing I think the government has ever wasted our money on, and really decent cars are going to be scrapped because of it. Further, I really think if the government had half a brain, they would have demanded that the trade ins could only be made on a domestic owned lot - Ford - GM - Chrysler - so that the money came back home, not further increase the trade deficits.

So, get out there, cruise the back lots and tell me what you find.

I will start off with a really nice '99 Wrangler YJ 6 cylinder 5 speed hard top - no rot, great shape...needed a bath...will never see the road again. I will tell you that I saw 7 cars behind our local dealer last night, all marked CLUNKER - NOT FOR SALE. I would have driven 4 of them proudly. They are destined for the crusher. WASTE!

Tell me what you find kids!

One would theink that the Jeep would be worth more than $4500 in the open market.

Chris

The Cash for Clunkers program simply enrages me.

It's a big hit here in Kentucky. Channel 27 news did a short segment on it the other night and someone had basically given away a '97 Ford Expedition in excellent shape. If I remember correctly, I believe they traded it in on a Ford Fusion hybrid. It seems that's the whole underlying motive behind this little incentive: to get Americans to buy smaller, more fuel efficient cars and not drive the cars they want (for those that are smart enough to see beyond the smoke and mirrors).

Some cars are not deserving of such a fate and there are people out there who are not as fortunate who would be more than happy to drive, own, and maintain them.

I'm proud to own cars that my government does not want me to and that's the way it's going to stay. Forever.

Edited by YellowJacket894

It's a big hit here in Kentucky. Channel 27 news did a short segment on it the other night and someone had basically given away a '97 Ford Expedition in excellent shape. If I remember correctly, I believe they traded it in on a Ford Fusion hybrid. It seems that's the whole underlying motive behind this little incentive: to get Americans to buy smaller, more fuel efficient cars and not drive the cars they want (for those that are smart enough to see beyond the smoke and mirrors).

But what if the owner of the Expedition didn't want to drive it anymore, and decided that a Fusion would be preferable? Although I don't think it makes economic sense to send a vehicle like that to the program where it instead could likely fetch a better dollar on the market.

Of course one of the main motives is to get people to trade in their unnecessarily large gas guzzlers; I don't think that was ever concealed from people - in fact, I'm under the impression that's one of its missions.

Didn't get a pic, but while driving through the Honda dealer's lot in Daphne, AL last weekend I did see a "clunker" that would break the heart of many here. It was a pretty decent looking gold '91-'96 style Roadmaster wagon with the "wood" paneling and IIRC the skylight too.

They also had an 80's G-body cutlass but at least it did looked ready for crushing, unlike the Buick.

But what if the owner of the Expedition didn't want to drive it anymore, and decided that a Fusion would be preferable? Although I don't think it makes economic sense to send a vehicle like that to the program where it instead could likely fetch a better dollar on the market.

Yeah, being that old it probably had over 100k and was nickel and diming them to death. I'm sure the owners will be happier with something new. The resale value on SUVs--esp. full size ones has tanked since last summer.

Rob

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

well, to go from a 15mpg vehicle into a 40 mpg vehicle kind of illustrates what can be done with it.

But this is just a band aid. it temporarily eases consumption to appease the greenies / gore freaks and the leftists who want to steer policy to only wanting you to drive small $h!boxes.

it does not address any of the problems of foreign oil sourcing or the advancement of alternate propulsion.

its not my fault though. People got caught up in the PR campaign that was global warming.....and the financial scam that was 'gas shortage' - AKA 4 dollar gas.

And in the end the government spends a billion and leaves us all with more of a tab we can't pay.

I am most pissed about this. My tranny is going bye bye on the aztek. If i had gotten the AWD version it would have qualified for clunkers. I got the FWD and its not available. So with an about to be toast tranny, my car has no value. At least with clunkers, a nice 4500 reward would ease the decision making for me.

Smoke and mirrors though. If you look and learn, the incentives 2 months ago were far better.....like 2, 3 grand better on some vehicles. Now GM for example has less incentives, as they are letting the govt make up the difference and then some.

It basically becomes an auto industry subsidy.

I am not totally against it. At least they didn't funnel the money to national public radio or something vile like that. At least GM and Ford provide jobs and make stuff instead of cultivating an irrational set of priorities for its listening base (i.e. green at all costs, etc. yada)

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead