Buick Enclave info

Northstar

By Jamie LaReau
Automotive News / December 12, 2005

The important part:
Enclave production will begin in early 2007. The vehicle, which should debut in spring 2007 as a 2008 model, replaces the Rendezvous sport wagon and Rainier mid-sized SUV.

Analysts and dealers say the Enclave will be a full-sized crossover with three rows of seats and a standard V-6 engine. The vehicle should have a base price near $27,000, with prices rising to $40,000 for a fully equipped model, sources say.

Whole story: http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=55696

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that I think about the 3 models, Acadia, Outlook and Enclave, the Acadia should be quickly rebadged as a Chevy. It seems really really stupid to have two SUVs in the same dealership that are very similiar and the Acadia and Enclave will end up being side by side. GMC should build BOF only trucks, Buick and Pontiac can build the Crossovers. Where is Chevy's SUV? They need the Acadia much more then GMC. Chevy is the only brand (other than Caddy with the Escalade) that has both BOF and crossovers. This prevents rebadges and vehicles that are competing against themselves.

Everything up to this point indicates that the Acadia & Enclave will be heavily differentiated and shouldn't be cross-shopped. We’ll see. But I do think Chevy needs something appropriate to compete against the Highlander/Pilot duo. This is especially true if the Lambdas end up replacing the Trailblazer/Envoy.

Analysts and dealers say the Enclave will be a full-sized crossover with three rows of seats and a standard V-6 engine. The vehicle should have a base price near $27,000, with prices rising to $40,000 for a fully equipped model, sources say. What are they going to use, a 197 hp 3800 and 4 speed automatic? Funny they didn't specify. If I see one more new GM with this powertrain combo I am going to scream!

What are they going to use, a 197 hp 3800 and 4 speed automatic? Funny they didn't specify. If I see one more new GM with this powertrain combo I am going to scream!

[post="57927"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, it's cheap to build and reliable. Why engineer a whole new motor tranny layout that performs the same? BTW, I have no idea what is coming in this vehicle.

Well, it's cheap to build and reliable. Why engineer a whole new motor tranny layout that performs the same? BTW, I have no idea what is coming in this vehicle.

[post="57969"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I guess that they will have the 3900 as standard with a 4 speed auto.. maybe the 6 speed auto.

yes, he's sure, and yes, thank God for it. as ah-ha once put it, these fine machines deserve smooth engines.

[post="58129"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes, As turbo said AH-HA stated previously that the HF was the standard engine.

[post="58193"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Thank God. Maybe people will start to look at Buick as a premium vehicle again.

Along with the 3.6 HF as standard equipment.

[post="57983"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

FINALLY...someone inside GM got a clue, or at least got the accountants to approve something other than a pushrod/4-spd combo :booyah:

At least that should be ONE relative strong point to start on.

I think the BPG minivan is a GMC at this point and the Saturn is up in the air. Chevy will also get a minivan off Lambda. The last info I found (that was a GM document) had three minivans on Lambda listed (but not brands, just codes), but I think it's about 3 months old now, so it could have changed.

Hmmm... Let's see: Chevy dealers have moved about 70,000 CSVs this year BPG dealers have moved 40,000 CSVs Saturn dealers have moved 15,000 CSVs Sounds like a smart change to me. But I'd rather Buick retain the minivan because it attracts new families to the dealers and to the auto show displays (I've seen it several times. The Terraza and Rendezvous are the only reason baby carriages are at the Buick display.) Also, the Luxury minivan market is growing. Buick is the perfect place for a luxury minivan. It's a natural step up from Chevrolet. Buick's warranty and standard OnStar could also help win over "on the fence" buyers. Several think that Buick shouldn't have a minivan, but imagine if the minivan was actually a "class leading" luxury minivan with V8 power and AWD. Why would Buick be ashamed to compete with the loaded Siennas, Odysseys, & T&Cs with that in its showroom?

Indeed, but the Relay is nowhere near as popular as the Pontiac and Buick. The Terraza in particular is a surprise hit (relatively), so BPG will get a big minivan instead of Saturn. If Saturn gets a minivan at all it will be something different entirely.

[post="58819"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Thanks for the update & info Griff.

Personally, I'm not sure there's any reason for any brand to have a minivan other than Chevy. The reason there's no need for a Buick minivan, IMHO, is that the Enclave will suit 90% of those buyers. If Chevy got a Lambda X-Over then there'd be little reason for any GM minivan, except that GM needs some sort of minivan just for those who want a minivan and nothing else. One good reason to keep a Saturn van that I didn't think of before is that I think many buyers of the Sienna and Odyssey wouldn't consider a GM brand other than Saturn.

The Terraza in particular is a surprise hit (relatively)

[post="58819"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You know, I thought the Terraza was selling well just by seeing so many of them compared to any of the other minivans. I'm really happy for Buick. It's more than obvious GM didnt spend almost any time on the minivans and everyone expected them all to sell relatively poorly. Not so much what each offered but the exterior design was so similar it was insulting.

The Rendezvous was never supposed to be what it turned out to be either.

I really dont understand how GM couldnt save the brand, it is pretty much outselling all of their expectations.

But I agree that Buick should keep the minivan. People obviously still look to Buick for quality. Otherwise they wouldn't be selling so much. Buick is not necessarily a name traditional for being a young and sporty brand, but this idea is totally okay with a parent that needs a nice reliable automobile. Plus some people don't trust Chevy as much as Buick because Buick is traditionally more reliable than Chevy. It was Chevy that really got the bad name against the imports so much more than the rest of GM.

Now that I think about the 3 models, Acadia, Outlook and Enclave, the Acadia should be quickly rebadged as a Chevy.  It seems really really stupid to have two SUVs in the same dealership that are very similiar and the Acadia and Enclave will end up being side by side.

GMC should build BOF only trucks, Buick and Pontiac can build the Crossovers.  Where is Chevy's SUV?  They need the Acadia much more then GMC.  Chevy is the only brand (other than Caddy with the Escalade) that has both BOF and crossovers.  This prevents rebadges and vehicles that are competing against themselves.

[post="57840"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree. I think GMC being BOF only is a great idea, and the Acadia should be a Chevy.

Analysts and dealers say the Enclave will be a full-sized crossover with three rows of seats and a standard V-6 engine. The vehicle should have a base price near $27,000, with prices rising to $40,000 for a fully equipped model, sources say.

What are they going to use, a 197 hp 3800 and 4 speed automatic? Funny they didn't specify. If I see one more new GM with this powertrain combo I am going to scream!

[post="57927"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Sure, $27000 is th starting price. I think (and hope) that the Enclave will sell well, nicely equipped, in the meaty $33-36K and is a great value to the RX.

Sure, $27000 is th starting price.  I think (and hope) that the Enclave will sell well, nicely equipped, in the meaty $33-36K and is a great value to the RX.

[post="58942"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No, if you look above, it was already stated the base would be the 3.6L with the 6A. I say Thank God... now that's competitive! :)

As for people saying the Terraza is selling well, I just wonder where? I still have only seen 1 on Long Island - and it was UGLY imo.

I agree the idea of a Buick minivan is terrible, and doesn't fit thier image at all. Enclave will bring in five hundred thousand more prospective buyers than Terraza or Rendevous anyways. I agree with Northie, Saturn is the brand with the best chance of stealing consumers from Honda and toyota, so they should have a minivan. I just don't see the necessity for GMC and Buick or Pontiac to have a minivan, when (1) it doesn't reflect thier core images and (2) two crossover/minivan vehicles are enough for that lineup. Saturn and Chevy should be the only divisions to have it.

No, if you look above, it was already stated the base would be the 3.6L with the 6A.  I say Thank God... now that's competitive! :)

As for people saying the Terraza is selling well, I just wonder where?  I still have only seen 1 on Long Island - and it was UGLY imo.

[post="59290"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Oh, trust me, I breathed a big sigh of relief when I read that the base would the 3.6L with 6A!!!! I'm very, VERY interested in how this xover comes out. I meant more along the lines of the equiopment and package levels. I was just saying that I hope people don't hover around the$27-30K price range for the more basic, less contented versions of the Enclave, and will instead splurge on some of the luxury niceties that will really put it on par with the RX/MDX/FX/ect, for just a few thousand more. If it tops out in the $40K range, then i'm guessing a nicely equipped one will be around $35-37.

As far as the Terraza goes, it's terrible to me. But not just the Buick, all of them. I never thought of making minivan look like SUVs made alot of sense. Having said that, Buick should have a minivan in the product mix if it wants to aim squarely at the luxury segment. I think Chevy should have a minivan, with Saturn offering a premium, upscale version. I don't see the need for any other division to carry one.

I agree the idea of a Buick minivan is terrible, and doesn't fit thier image at all. Enclave will bring in five hundred thousand more prospective buyers than Terraza or Rendevous anyways.

I agree with Northie, Saturn is the brand with the best chance of stealing consumers from Honda and toyota, so they should have a minivan. I just don't see the necessity for GMC and Buick or Pontiac to have a minivan, when (1) it doesn't reflect thier core images and  (2) two crossover/minivan vehicles are enough for that lineup. Saturn and Chevy should be the only divisions to have it.

[post="59327"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Wow. I agree 100%. I posted just now without reading the entire thread, and we said the same thing. :)

yes, I believe Enclave will finally be the no compromise, no excuse, world-class, right from the start vehicle we have been hoping for for so damn long. I see it conquering a lot of market share here in Los Angeles. People in LA aren't as brand conscious as much as they are style conscious, if something comes with the newest hottest style they will give it a shot, as long as it performs everything they ask of it. Ain't it grand that Buick will have that distinction of having such a fine machine.

Honestly, they don't look like SUVs to me, they look like ugly boxy minivans of the 80's. With GIANT snouts and reak of mediocrity when compared to designs and features of others in the segment. The only one that comes close to offering luxuries that others offer is the Terraza.

Paolino, I agree with you on the ugliness of the vans, but the argument someone else made about Buick quality is right on.

You're putting your kids in a minivan...and you want quality and luxury.  A Buick minivan is it.

[post="59368"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes, but can't they make something that looks nice as well? Also, you're a premium division and you can't cough up auto climate control on the highest trim level?

If the minivan is ungainly, ugly, slow, and uncompetitive... then NO, I don't want it anywhere near Buick. But I believe the Lambda minivans will have what it takes for GM to finally be class leading in this segment: AWD, V8 availability, fuel efficient, and enough styling leverage to allow for truly distinctive interiors/exteriors. Buick has several beautiful styling cues that could make a minivan look outstanding and luxurious (does GMC?). A minivan's dashboard is perfect for Buick's traditional horizontal layout. If Buick had complete control over styling, I see no reason why Buick wouldn't be perfect for a luxury minivan. Besides, Buicks are known to be large and accommodating. Seating several occupants in comfort is a key trait for Buick and for a minivan. Also, the luxury minivan would continue to help with GM's repositioning of the BPG brands & dealers above Chevrolet, instead of just being equivalent to Chevrolet. Once again, BPG dealers have moved almost 3 times as many CSVs than Saturn dealers. If Chrysler can move upscale with the T&C, Toyota be viewed as premium with the Sienna, and Honda can be class leading with the Odyssey then I see cause for Buick to receive a minivan that's better than all three of them.

Per Automotive News, YTD 2005: Uplander - 68013 SV6 - 20922 Terraza - 18647 Relay - 15064 IMO, bagging all versions other than Chevy would not necessarily mean that Chevy would then sell 100K units. Folks are buying the other brands to differentiate themselves from their neighbors. There is a market for a BUICK van, done right. It may be blasphemy to BUICK geeks (myself included), but none-the-less . . . In southern New England I see a good number of Terrazas, second to Uplander. BTW, why isn't BUICK hyping up the Enclave at Detroit. A little buzz wouldn't hurt. Ford's already showing renderings of their Edge crossover. Come GM and BUICK, talk it up, build some excitement!

It comes with Standard V6, I hope they mean either the 3.6 or the 3.9.. If the top model will reach $40k would it come with a V8 or a Hybrid? I don't think the top model will come with the same engine as the base model, right?

[post="59740"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The Lambdas have a standard V6 with an available V8.

The Lambdas have a standard V6 with an available V8.

[post="59760"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The V8 will come later. Probably by the time Enclave debuts it will be ready but expect the Saturn to debut first with only a V6 then the Arcadia with V6 first then V8 and Enclave to carry both, probably part of the reason why it is delayed (also to make sure the plant is putting them out with good quality you can't tarnish the Buick reputation for quality.)