Ideal powertrain

Engine Flex Fuel E85 Capable 3.5 litre 60 degree OHV V6 3 Valves per Cylinder 2 valves cam driven 1 Intake , 1 Exhuast (Current VVT setup) 1 Camless Electrohydrualic variable Intake Valve Centrally located Spray Guided Direct Injection Variable Intake Induction Combustion assisted Start Stop Transmission Six Speed Dual Clutch Automated Manual Packaged as a Automatic with a Common Automatic Shifter Layout Transverse Front wheel Drive With Esp controlled on Demand Awd All Wheel Drive Would Engage only in ESP emergency with Torque Bias determined by ESP And on Takeoff off from Stop with 60% rear Torque Bias Most Cruising as 2 wheel FWD I figure between the engine changes and the tranny I 've got 25% better Fuel economy then the current 3.5 + 4 speed auto. I lose Some do to the AWD, but if it could be setup to operate in FWD 80% of the time...

Economics aside when considering production costs, and technical impossibilities, my ideal powertrain would probably be:

Engine

2.5L Camshaft-Free Inline 4 cylinder engine
6 Electronically Actuated valves/cylinder (Unlimited Variable Valve Timing) (hehe)
Aluminum Block and Heads (Or Ceramic, when the time comes)
Direct and Port Fuel Injection
Turbocharged and Intercooled
Twin Counter-Rotating Balance Shafts for Smootheness
Gasoline/ FlexFuel Ethanol Capabilities

Transmission

7 speed close ratio manual transmission

Layout

Electronically Controlled All-Wheel-Drive with driver selectable torque splits varying from 10% front/90% rear to 90%front/10% rear as well as an automatic torque split selection

Odd and Complicated...Perfect!

Interesting ideas boys!

Ill go for my small economical but Super Sly lightweight Buick Lux 2seat drop top W i l d c a t

all LS 6&7 knowledge applied to a

all alloy 3 litre V8.......intercooled blower 12 psi stock
DOD
mounted behind front axle RWD....FW assist only
6 stick - 4 under 5th direct 6th OD

mileage goal of 28/34

my 89 SHO, about that size. A light DOHC v6 with BALLS like that, front drive for winter, or some type of AWD. the 5 speed manual was fine, but an extra overdrive to make the other 5 more useful in town would be fine. some sort of device to take over for your left leg clutch foot in traffic so you could walk along like an automatic would be fine, or a twin clutch or automated manual for when you don't want to deal with it. curb weight around 3300 pounds or so. otherwise a straight six RWD based AWD with manual tranny and such, just like a BMW! with the same clutch feature. i do admit, a hybrid on electric power when stuck in bad traffic is appealing. but not in a Toyota (read: ugly and Japanese) wrapper. a direct injection super or turbo charged version would be cool too. C/D had a test of the 1 series BMW diesel. with a stick that would rock! the damn tiny thing had 250 lb ft of torque! a diesel sports sedan that got 35 mpg regularly with balls would be a huge hit for me! i would be Zygi with flex fuel or bio fuel too. Edited by regfootball

I love buying cheat V8 powered GM cars and paying anextra $700 a year in gas... who gives a F*** that I overpay on gas when I save $20,000 over the cost of a Prius and have a cool car versus some political poster-child for PC and Skewed Liberal Agenda. PUSHROD V8 bay-bee!

Rear-mount engine: 9.7L aluminum flat 6, square bore/stroke, hemi heads, direct injection, hydraulic valves, light weight, compact dimensions, low compression, low RPM, moderate HP, tremendous TRQ, 28 MPG at cruising speeds, twin variable-pitch TRQ converters with half-shafts directly to the rear wheels, individual pipes for each cylinder. Or: Front-mount, aluminum, magnesium & chrome moly, 12.6L V-12, air-cooled, hemi heads, OHCs, dual ignition, dry sump, supercharged. 1010 HP. Anyone know the whereabouts of an example of either of these, please PM me immediately.

5.2L 60 degree OHV V8 (the current 3900 V6 with two extra cylinders) 3 valve heads VVT DoD direct injection flex fuel capable able to support dual-mode hybrid operation Transmission: same as Ghost Dog's - automatic for around town, then use the manual for open roads/the track Layout: Longitudinal RWD with the ability to send up to 70% to the front wheels via TCS. Basically I want the inverse of Acura's SH-AWD.

Rear-mount engine: 9.7L aluminum flat 6, square bore/stroke, hemi heads, direct injection, hydraulic valves, light weight, compact dimensions, low compression, low RPM, moderate HP, tremendous TRQ, 28 MPG at cruising speeds, twin variable-pitch TRQ converters with half-shafts directly to the rear wheels, individual pipes for each cylinder.

Or:
Front-mount, aluminum, magnesium & chrome moly, 12.6L V-12, air-cooled, hemi heads, OHCs, dual ignition, dry sump, supercharged. 1010 HP.

Anyone know the whereabouts of an example of either of these, please PM me immediately.

[post="66854"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

There's some ugly car in the junkyard with a third swiveling headlight and a strange torpedo hood that matches that description. I was going to buy it for $200 (running and driving) but I found out it has a very unorthodox "suspension" so I got turned off to it.

I also have a RR Merlin Engine in my backyard under a tarp... came out of a Supermarine Spitfire. I'll give it to you cheap, crank turns freely. :AH-HA_wink:

There's some ugly car in the junkyard with a third swiveling headlight and a strange torpedo hood that matches that description. I was going to buy it for $200 (running and driving) but I found out it has a very unorthodox "suspension" so I got turned off to it.

Ha-ha-ha. Hardy-har-har. Snicker snort. Chortle.

I was at a really small airport not far from me (can you say grass landing strip?), wandering around with a regular. There was a small plane sitting in the weeds with the engine cowling missing. Inside was an aluminum flat 6 with 'Franklin" on the covers- same basic engine the Tucker used. Should've grabbed it.

I actually surfed eBay looking for an oddball engine last night: a straight 8, a V-12, flat 6... something I could take apart and cosmetically refinish and keep on a stand. Hey Sixty-8, remember that grey '51-52 Packard- that's got a mammoth I-8- I remember looking at it back in '00 and nearly getting bewitched by it. I should stop back and ask about that Model A too (tho I have a '33 Plymouth 5-window coupe on the hook at the moment). Hm-mmm.....

Ha-ha-ha. Hardy-har-har. Snicker snort. Chortle.

I was at a really small airport not far from me (can you say grass landing strip?), wandering around with a regular. There was a small plane sitting in the weeds with the engine cowling missing. Inside was an aluminum flat 6 with 'Franklin" on the covers- same basic engine the Tucker used. Should've grabbed it.

I actually surfed eBay looking for an oddball engine last night: a straight 8, a V-12, flat 6... something I could take apart and cosmetically refinish and keep on a stand. Hey Sixty-8, remember that grey '51-52 Packard- that's got a mammoth I-8- I remember looking at it back in '00 and nearly getting bewitched by it. I should stop back and ask about that Model A too (tho I have a '33 Plymouth 5-window coupe on the hook at the moment). Hm-mmm.....

[post="67764"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

find yourself a porshe flat 8 then youll be god in my book

Wow... if you get either one of those... Plymouth or the Packard you will officially have the most bizare but awsomely cool car collection of anyone I know. Straight sixes are cool but straight eights are the ultimate in "Fu*k packaging just extend the hood" attitude. Nothing cooler than the old fashioned American classics. Maybe someday I'll make a one-off, 8-foot stretch limo '82 Lesabre that wil be powered by a custom I-16. Basically two Buick inline 8s joined at the crank. Woah, time for my meds. :P I'd love to make a coffee table out of some old engine like a V12 tank motor.... just have the whole damn thing looking nice cosmetically and place it in the living room wiht a big slab of glass rested on top of it. XP715 is always talking about how if he had the money he'd buy a Simplex, Duesenberg, Stanley Steamer or some other such oddity and parking it in his living room for the ultimate conversation piece.

find yourself a porshe flat 8 then youll be god in my book

[post="67787"][/post]

Hmmm... note to self: After obtaining large amount of money buy a Porsche 917 to impress Mute. After all what could be more insane than a Flat-12 when he's so impressed by a flat-8. :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oldsmoboi:

The opera coupe would be great for a V16 but I think a straight-sixteen would require another 5 feet or so. :D

Hmmm... note to self: After obtaining large amount of money buy a Porsche 917 to impress  Mute.  After all what could be more insane than a Flat-12 when he's so impressed by a flat-8. :)
Posted Image

Posted Image
Oldsmoboi:

The opera coupe would be great for a V16 but I think a straight-sixteen would require another 5 feet or so. :D

[post="67798"][/post]

actually the flat 12 was only a 5.0 and if you look at the history of the two engines the 3.0 was far more successful and more rare

there are only two porshe flat 8s in existancea and one-half flat 8 block siting somewhere in storage in PA

te 3.0 flat 8 was more capable than the flat 12 and so i want that one