Official Camaro concept thread - for now

NOS2006

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The video said it would have 400 hp, so how would they differentiate it from the 'vette, which also has 400 hp.  So what I'm really wondering is, why would somebody buy the camaro over a corvette.  Isn't the camaro supposed to have less performance.  I can understand things like giving it a lesser suspension, or other small performance things like that but that shouldn't make it that much cheaper, should it?

Its not all about horsepower. If that were the case, GM would produce one car with 2000 horsepower, and be done with it.

The Vette is a 2 seater for one - and is thus a COMPETELY different driving experience. Its much more personal, but it comes at a cost. What happens when you want to drive a few people to the party? Can't do it.

Ask me how I know this? Went from a 4th gen SS to a C5. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages.

If Chevy were making the Camaro in 04, I would have picked one up instead of the Vette.

Edited by greg_nate

well I do wonder how they're gonna make a base model under $20K to compete with the Mustang. But I'm sure they'll meet the price. they've done it with everything else.

I doubt it would have the turbo 4. they'd have to put a 6 in it.

D A M N!!! That deserves a happy dance :booyah: :booyah: :booyah:

Of the "reborn rivals" (Charger, new 'stang, Challenger, Goat...) this is by far the best looking, cleanest, and most aggressive design that has been put out there. Here is my take on the others:

I really like the profile off the Challenger concept, but the grill/headlight treatment somehow says "uni-brow" to me.

As much as I hate to say it, the new 'stang is a great looking car IMHO.

The Charger has a decent enough engine, and the front has grown on me, but I am not in the market for a 4 door.

And as much as I liked seeing another RWD Pontiac out there, I am a Chevy man at heart...and the Camaro is just my cup o tea.

When I stumbled on this thread, the movie link had been moved and the first shots I saw of it were in someones sig and I immediately wanted to take my 4th gen on a victory lap over to the dealership to get my name on some kind of list. That is one sexy-fine ride.

When it is released, I will take mine in some deep shade of blue with a nice set of stripes dropped on there, with as large of an engine, and as good of a suspension package as I can get put on there.

God bless you Lutz (and the rest of the design team)...you have done well. Get it to market and I will be in line for one.

// c0ld_phuz10n

When I stumbled on this thread, the movie link had been moved and the first shots I saw of it were in someones sig and I immediately wanted to take my 4th gen on a victory lap over to the dealership to get my name on some kind of list. That is one sexy-fine ride.

Dude, sombady posted the links to the video and pics on like the last page. They were from the R&T chache. They will work.

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

OMG!!! The General got it right!! I was hoping this car would be worth getting excited over, and boy is it ever!!! I'm not so sure about the hood right above the center of the grille, but that's a minor, minor thing. I can see some easy and simple changes to make it into a new Firebird (a la the '77), but I think I'd even take this car exactly as it is!!! Thank you GM!!!!

It's 186" long and rides on a 110" wheelbase. I'm not sure what the dimensions of the 4th gen were, but I'm pretty sure it's smaller.

For comparison, the overall length and wheelbase for the 4th gen were 193 and 101 inches, respectively.

Dude, sombady posted the links to the video and pics on like the last page. They were from the R&T chache. They will work.

Yeah I saw it...drooled all over my laptop.

// c0ld_phuz10n

well I do wonder how they're gonna make a base model under $20K to compete with the Mustang. But I'm sure they'll meet the price. they've done it with everything else.

I doubt it would have the turbo 4. they'd have to put a 6 in it.

the base engine will probably be eiether the 3.5L or 3.9L V6. if they start it out around $20,000 for a base V6 coupe this thing will sell like crazy..

Yes !!!!!!!!! that is the stuff ! I am so glad they did not follow the current trend of having a blunt nose. The Shark is back ! If they balk on this Im so outta here !

Camaro

Mustang

Challenger

Charger

The world is getting more colorful...as it should well be !

No more detuning..it is destroying GMs overall. C6, GTO, CTS V all have 400 HP LS2 so should the Camaro Z28 or SS or whatever, ZO6 has LS7, all is in order. Hows about at some point in time (soon) forgetting the 3.9 V6 (all V6's) and doing a LS 4.0 V8 for base models ?

To the entire team that brought this together "hats off to you !" now get back to work :)

Hear that?

NO seriously listen.... *shh*

Awww---yeah! that's the sound of 100,000 check books being opened simultaneously for the purpose of a deposit on a 2009 Camaro!

And that otehr soudn you hear?

It's just Mustang GT owners weeping. :metal:

It's 186" long and rides on a 110" wheelbase. I'm not sure what the dimensions of the 4th gen were, but I'm pretty sure it's smaller.

1st Gen:

184" long 108" wheelbase 72.5" wide 51" high 3000 Lbs.

Almost identical to first gen!

4th Gen:

193" long 101" wheelbase 74" wide 53" high 3300 Lbs.

Pretty close actually with shorter overhangs.

My Catalina:

218" Long 121" wheelbase 4000 Lbs. Now thats BIG

Edited by funkypunnk

So now that it's sunk in a little bit and the shock has worn off... here's my synopsis:

A+

They cant take 3 years to get this to market.......must.........get.........it.......done......soon.

grindstone boys, grindstone, 09 is tooooooo late.

It was much better to push this back 2 years, and bring the GMT 900's forward 6 months.

Was'nt It?

BOING!!!!!!!!!

So this is what heaven is like.

this is the begining of the new horsepower wars for sure

hmmm 2009 right about the time i will be so deep in student loans that a pack of ramen noodles will seem over priced. o well one day this car will be mine!

Edited by 99camaroSS

After letting the excitement wear off, I think the front needs some work... the grill/headlights are a bit too inset and could maybe be slightly bigger vertically. As is, it looks slightly squished.

...but I think that gives the concept just that much more of a '93-97 spin, which is a good thing, in this case.

...but I think that gives the concept just that much more of a '93-97 spin, which is a good thing, in this case.

I don't know, if it wasn't as inset under the hood I think it would improve the look, so as-is isn't necessarily a good thing, IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I think it looks pretty sweet and blows the Challenger and Mustang away, but there's no reason it can't be perfect.

I like it the way it is. It's also very first gen-esque.

However, I wouldn't mind the sides of it not dipping in so far and being more flush with the body.

Either way, give me a billet grille with SS in the middle and I'll be satisfied.

1st Gen:

184" long      108" wheelbase        72.5" wide    51" high          3000 Lbs.

Almost identical to first gen!

4th Gen:

193" long      101" wheelbase        74" wide          53" high          3300 Lbs.

Pretty close actually with shorter overhangs.

My Catalina:

218" Long      121" wheelbase        4000 Lbs.  Now thats BIG

When I first started reading this post it was at 3 pages and by the time I read all of it and posted this reply it was at 8 pages. I love the car and has less retro then I feared and if the proportions are left alone I will be buying one. GM hit it on the nail...and the sleaping giant is awakening to take names from the competiton.

QUOTE(Northstar @ Jan 8 2006, 02:35 AM)

I think the front needs some work... the grill/headlights are a bit too inset and could maybe be slightly bigger vertically. As is, it looks slightly squished.

I couldn't disagree more... the inset grille and mean fascia is a MUST imo.

However I do hope for a facelift that will bring us 1969 Style horizontally inset headlights and the speed lines (creases) in the feders.

Posted Image

Here is a chop or 3 I did (just color change and stripe...need high res)

This one is based off of a sketch that I saw, I liked the stripe from the sketch...but I didnt get it quite right, but you get the idea.

Posted Image

After looking at some 4th gen pics I had saved a while back I figured I would do the same kind of color scheme.

Posted Image

Silver with black stripes, gotta love it. If I could get this in dark blue with white stripes...glee.

Posted Image

I would be curious to see what the after market could do with this baby.

// c0ld_phuz10n

Edited by c0ld_phuz10n

I would be curious to see what the after market could do with this baby.

Given the amount of attention the Mustang has gotten from the aftermarket companies, I can only imagine the endless possibilities of 5th Gen bodykits..

Given the amount of attention the Mustang has gotten from the aftermarket companies, I can only imagine the endless possibilities of 5th Gen bodykits..

RS headlights... 69 style fenders with the speed lines, the possibilities are just as endless as any rice pos except they make sense and have heretige tied in.

Another interesting after market thought is that new Roush G6 that we saw at SEMA, we could start to see more vehicls being tuned as a result of this new business relationship.

I think Roush did a pretty decent job of sprucing up the new 'stang, and I would be very curious as to what kind of sexiness that they could bestow on the new Camaro. When we get higher res shots of it I will have a crack at Roushifying (new word for ya there) the new 'maro

Also in the last few years hasnt SLP been making Mustang stuff as well? Maybe this would be a good time for them to "play" with another Camaro.

Also, some of you might remember several months ago after one of you lads made a nice sketch I had made a request to Yenkofy that sketch after the anouncement was made for the new Shelby/SVT GT500. It would be really cool if we saw either a new Yenko, Copo, or Baldwin-Motion edition Camaros...

...just a few thoughts.

// c0ld_phuz10n

Edited by c0ld_phuz10n

After the excitement has worn off a bit...

I agree with Northie the front needs a little work...the inset thing can't be good for drag and it looks a little off. Also, I'm not sure how I feel about the kink in the greenhouse...I almost think keeping it flat would be better, stylistically. My biggest gripe though is how seriously high the beltline is...there isn't nearly enough glass, and I think that would severely detract from the convertible/open air hardtop experience. Plus, I'm not big on retro.

Overall grade: B+