Official Camaro concept thread - for now

NOS2006

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would expect a mid summer to fall 08 as a 09 and I will stand by it.

Also they said it will be built on the same Zeta as the GTO? Is this a slip about the new GTO? Can we expect a 08 GTO show car in Chicago, New York or the Fall LA show this year?? They said a production Pontiac would be shown but I still don't think they were talking about the GXP Soltice. At this point the RWD concepts should be falling fast.

For all the Lutz haters this is the clean sheet of paper stuff we have been waiting for. Only the Sky and Solstice were car he did not have to try to fix with out a lot money. The next few years should really back him up.

The video said it would have 400 hp, so how would they differentiate it from the 'vette, which also has 400 hp.  So what I'm really wondering is, why would somebody buy the camaro over a corvette.  Isn't the camaro supposed to have less performance.  I can understand things like giving it a lesser suspension, or other small performance things like that but that shouldn't make it that much cheaper, should it?

Covettes and Camaros have shared engines throughout most of Camaro's production. Of course most recently the LS1 and the LT1. Besides the SSR, GTO and CTS-V already have this engine too, why not Camaro?

I'm very happy to see it being said that it will be a 6.0L V8 with 400 horsepower (LS2 probably) and not some concept engine. It just means that it is all that much more feasable and quick to production.

Now for the SS version.... LS7????? :omfg:

The challenger is a pig compared to the Camaro. Dodge can shove all the hemi they want into the challenger but its on a big car platform. The Camaro will smoke it, What I want to see is a side by side with the mustang. I think I'll pass on the TB SS cuz I gotta have this. Congradulation Mr Lutz

It's very nice, but I'm not as big a fan of this as I am the Challenger (I like bigger cars). GM is an awesome company and this is exactly the kind of thing they need to get the attention of the younger crowd. And the older crowd. And the nursing home crowd. And middle agers. And everyone else in between.

Truthfully, I was really hoping for something along the lines of the camaro renderings that have been floating around for quite some time. God, imagine a Challenger/Mustang/Camaro shootout now that we all know what they look like....mmmm....

Covettes and Camaros have shared engines throughout most of Camaro's production. Of course most recently the LS1 and the LT1. Besides the SSR, GTO and CTS-V already have this engine too, why not Camaro?

I'm very happy to see it being said that it will be a 6.0L V8 with 400 horsepower (LS2 probably) and not some concept engine. It just means that it is all that much more feasable and quick to production.

Now for the SS version.... LS7????? :omfg:

I don't really have a problem with the engine sharing, I just think the 400 horse LS2(probably in the SS or Z/28) should be detuned a little, possibly to 350 hp.

nobody mentioned a missing b-pillar.... the true hardtop coupe as some of you've put it.

but...damn, looks nice

hopefully the v6 would even have a 6speed option...w/ what...260hp?

hopefully they are further than the media thinks they are at producing it. (insert a sinister smiley, or a spy smiley) lol

and if the 6.0L was the ss / z/28 option..it'd be the same one they put in the gto...6k redline instead of the ...? (not sure w/o looking) 6500 redline of the corvette ls2

Edited by loki

I don't really have a problem with the engine sharing, I just think the 400 horse LS2(probably in the SS or Z/28) should be detuned a little, possibly to 350 hp.

It shouldn't be detuned. You are forgetting that by the time the Camaro arrives the base Corvette will have gotten an hp increase. Even if the Vette wasn't getting an increase, it would have a 200 to 300lb weight advantage.

is that hood long enough for the inline 6?

the base engine will more than likely be eiether the 3.5L or 3.9L V6.. probably the 3.9L.. with a 5.3L and 6.0L V8's as options.. If the production version looks like that ill be buying one.. I had two Camaro's a 96 V6 coupe and a 99 Z28..

sorry guys I posted something under NAIAS before seeing this. Sorry northstar.

Anyway autoblog has a pic up still. R&T no longer has the video up. so this is what I was saying the thing is majorly hot. I gotta go eat. will discuss when i get back.

Sorry, pal, but there's no "Chrysler" here...it's ALL GM, ALL CHEVROLET, ALL CAMARO!

If this was ALL GM, ALL Camaro. the fender would be round over the front tire, not flat as a ruler. Round like most of the previous Camaros, round like the (gorgeous) SS concept). I would have preffered to see a small version of the SS as a camaro. THAT was a classic yet evolutionary Camaro design.

I can still see the video, and have been watching it over and over again. This car is seriously beautiful-sex machine by all accounts. I am not happy with the grille design chosen for it over just a traditional blacked-our grille like on the original. Also there is a little bit too much Camaro in the lower bumper that helps to create the bumper face, but imo, too much Camaro face, a flatter bumper might have made things better for me. This Camaro face can especially be seen in the video against real lighting. From a side profile, this thing is just utterly gorgeous. I love the rear lights when they light up, I love the missing b-pillar, I love the angle the beltline kicks up to make shoulders after the doors, and most of all I am in love with the short overall length and wonderfully long wheelbase. This thing looks so sleek and compact, I wouldn't mind GM basing 10 cars off this platform just to get those proportions.

Road and Track set up a redirect to the home page, but the image and video are still there. Not sure if the video link can be opened in IE or Media Player since I'm not on Windows. I saved a local copy of the video with "mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile" on Linux.

mms://c9o.earthcache.net/woc-01.media.globix.net/COMP000787MOD1/roadandtrack/2006/0601_camaro_hi.wmv

Yeah very nice! And looks pretty much like that clay model did that some of us saw pics of not too long ago. I see the link doesn't work anymore. Just makes me that much more excited to see it at NAIAS.

Edited by BuddyP

The front fender line reminds me of what I don't like about the Mustang. Flat and shapeles. In fact the front 3/4's of the side ARE Chrysler.

Remember that the Challenger (and second-gen 'Cuda) came out in 1970 and their styling was cribbed pretty closely (albeit in a Mopar-flavored way) from the first-gen Camaros. Hard to say who looks like who at this distance, y'know?

If this was ALL GM, ALL Camaro. the fender would be round over the front tire, not flat as a ruler. Round like most of the previous Camaros, round like the (gorgeous) SS concept). I would have preffered to see a small version of the SS as a camaro. THAT was a classic yet evolutionary Camaro design.

Hmmm. Certainly didn't look flat-as-a-ruler to me in the video...

don't expect R&T to get any exclusive with GM cars for awhile.

hehe

I just had the worst burger in my entire life at the Windsor Radisson. I couldnt even eat half. I think that's a first for me.

4 more hours til embargo party woohoo.

just watched the video. this thing is what? built on the gto platform? has the same 6 speed as the gto? I hate that transmission! argh.

Hope this thing is more nimble.

plus now that Ford has upped the hp ante with the new cobra(more than anyone thought) it has to have 400 hp when it launches so it's SS can bump up high enough to comepte. but then it'll get close to the Z06. holy crap the horsepower wars are escalating.

Dave bring your ass states side for a few hours tonight. C'mon you know you wanna!

maybe tomorrow. $h! What a pain. I didn't even know I was staying her til I typed in my mapquest this morning. travel agent said "it's only a mile from cobo"

I'm staying in , watching the game, working :(

oh well. hopefully tomorrow or more likely monday I'll get to party.

Still lots of work to do.

just watched the video. this thing is what? built on the gto platform? has the same 6 speed as the gto? I hate that transmission! argh.

Hope this thing is more nimble.

plus now that Ford has upped the hp ante with the new cobra(more than anyone thought) it has to have 400 hp when it launches so it's SS can bump up high enough to comepte. but then it'll get close to the Z06. holy crap the horsepower wars are escalating.

at 186" OAL, this car is significantly shorter than the GTO [194? perhaps?]. It will be nimble, I promise ;)

I have been saying this for a while, can you see the resemblance now....

Old Nomad Concept Car

Posted Image

and...

Posted Image

The black Camaro was done by heals120

Personally I can see both of those in my driveway now... Daily driver with the kids and then weekend toy :D

Hot damn that looks good in black!

I have been saying this for a while, can you see the resemblance now....

Old Nomad Concept Car

Posted Image

I agree.. this was my response to when I first saw one of the the leaked clay model photos and at the time I thought it was a chop.

It's a chop based on the 1999 Nomad concept

Posted Image

That being said, I think the chop looks pretty good except the shape of the foglights and mirrors are obviously too thin for a production car.

But yeah i love the 99 Nomad concept (more than the 2004 kappa concept) but damn.. I can't stop drooling over this car, I hope the changes to production are minimal. The only things I can spot are larger side mirrors, door handles, taillights will be standard bulb rather than the led (at least they look LED in the video). I'm not sure if the angel eyes will make it either. and I hope the B-pillar stays out too. Edited by Decka

O ma...o ma....aah..ahhhaaa....I think I'm gonna faint!!

IT"S BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE CAMARO IS COMING BACK!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :CG_all::CG_all:

:chevy::chevy::chevy::chevy:

SOMEBODY HELP ME< I"M SO EXCITED MY FINGER"S STUCK TO THE SHIFT KEY!!!!

an example of GM producing a design that meets the target market so dead on it will meet the competition head on, and between it and the Mustang, will single-handedly "revive" a dormant coupe market, and maybe even steal sales from the imports. everything from the proportions to the looks to the power to the interior are dead on accurate for the market this car seeks to chase. I truly believe it and the mustang can account together for around 400k sales.

I don't think you guys understand what is going on here with these vehicles. Every single one of them is a "Lutz-Era" vehicle. Imagine what is out there that we haven't seen. (Well, what YOU havent seen lol) and multiply it by 10.

The Camaro is incredible. And Dave, if this Camaro can handle like the Solstice and sell at a starting point of $25k for a base model with the turbo-charged 2.0l Ecotec engine oh brother I don't know what I'd have to do.

On a more serious note, what do you mean we haven't seen the "Lutz-Era" vehicles? Has Lutz finished his job and now there is someone else taking over his duties?

He means vehicles done under Lutz's command. Up until the Solstice, the products had some Lutz influence (more influence as they got newer) but were still mostly Zarella. From now on, all of the vehicles we see (including GMT900s) will all have been done under Lutz.