Cadillac XTS concept hint to be at NAIAS

66 posts in this topic

Cadillac XTS concept hint

to be at NAIAS

gallery_1757_7_65687.jpg

Cadillac ZTS rendering by our own Andrew Currie

December 7th, 2009

by Drew Dowdell

Sometimes you find hints to the future right in front of your face. On the TellGM website (formerly Tell Fritz), Bryan Nesbitt, General Manager of Cadillac answers a question regarding the upcoming Cadillac XTS sedan. While Mr. Nesbitt won't confirm nor deny the platform the XTS will be riding on, he does say that the concept car will be shown at the upcoming North American International Auto Show and that it should reveal a very strong hint as to the design direction of the production vehicle.

Digg this Up!

Vote this up on Reddit!

Excited to see this and find out if all the controversy around it will have been worthless speculation...

No word on what the drive wheels are? I'm betting that it's front-drive and they said that because they've misplaced their flame-retardant suits.

While I always look forward to NAIAS to see the new models and concepts, I am not going to get my hopes up for the XTS. I'm expecting a Lincoln MKS with vertical headlamps. Unless power is sent to the rear wheels, the XTS will be no more interesting than the Volvo S80 or Acura RL.

While I always look forward to NAIAS to see the new models and concepts, I am not going to get my hopes up for the XTS. I'm expecting a Lincoln MKS with vertical headlamps. Unless power is sent to the rear wheels, the XTS will be no more interesting than the Volvo S80 or Acura RL.

Can't disagree with you here. Even Ford has gotten the memo about RWD with the rumored plans for the next-gen Taurus and MKS. Of course, if the Caprice were to make it Stateside as is being speculated, I'm sure Cadillac will have a variant.

Edited by Croc

PCS has been dropping LOTS of hints about Zeta making a grand return to N/A

Fer sher; that's exactly what I was implicitly referencing.

Zeta would be fine for Chevy but not Cadillac. Sigma (which will need upgraded/replaced soon) has midsize covered, so Zeta would be only be useful for a large car. Cadillac will need more than the Camaro platform to go up against the big German sedans and the XJ. I think of it like this, the G8 and Camaro are below the CTS, why pay $20-30,000 more than a CTS for a car on a lesser platform.

Currently, Cadillac lacks the resources and knowledge to challenge the ultra sedans, that is why I am not at all excited about the XTS.

Edited by smk4565

Zeta would be fine for Chevy but not Cadillac. Sigma (which will need upgraded/replaced soon) has midsize covered, so Zeta would be only be useful for a large car. Cadillac will need more than the Camaro platform to go up against the big German sedans and the XJ. I think of it like this, the G8 and Camaro are below the CTS, why pay $20-30,000 more than a CTS for a car on a lesser platform.

Currently, Cadillac lacks the resources and knowledge to challenge the ultra sedans, that is why I am not at all excited about the XTS.

I wonder if they can adapt Sigma technology to Zeta - stuff like more aluminum components and double-wishbones instead of struts up front.

I wonder if they can adapt Sigma technology to Zeta - stuff like more aluminum components and double-wishbones instead of struts up front.

And AWD capability if it's not there. :scratchchin:

Rumors of such a platform were being discussed ages ago.

Huh? You don't make any sense. Zeta, if used in a Cadillac vehicle, would be upgraded. Look at how frequently GM updates or modifies its other platforms--you're telling me Zeta "can't" be? Man, you post one insightful post, then follow it up with tripe like this...one step forward, twenty steps backward...you are truly a GM fan :rolleyes:

Huh? You don't make any sense. Zeta, if used in a Cadillac vehicle, would be upgraded. Look at how frequently GM updates or modifies its other platforms--you're telling me Zeta "can't" be? Man, you post one insightful post, then follow it up with tripe like this...one step forward, twenty steps backward...you are truly a GM fan :rolleyes:

For once, Croc and I agree 100%.

Callling Zeta "lesser" because it is used for the Camaro is one of the most absurd statements I've ever read around here.

I for one cannot wait to see this car. Big long Cadillacs are my favorite kind of cars bar none.

The sad thing is that even though this baby is going to be a quantum leap over the DTS in terms of quality and refinement, it won't have a V8 or a Bench Seat- and I think that's sad. It's like the end of an era at Cadillac that started I'd say in 1949, but if it has to be I suppose it has to be, mainly because the world has changed (in my mind for the worse). These new Cadillacs are great cars but they aren't the ones that made me really love Cadillac, so all things being equal I'd still rather have a cherry Triple Black LT1 Fleetwood than anything they make today.

I bet you it'll look pretty good in black regardless of drive wheels but I'm hoping for Zeta or some sort of RWD because I think that Cadillac is getting to the point where the market may reject it if it doesn't at the very least offer AWD.

Front bench seats = liability for automakers. Hard to protect somebody in the middle. Also, where is my ipod, key fob, cell phone, drink, etc etc supposed to go if there is a seat there?

<pwnage>

That Jaguar XF that you hump all the time must really SUCK then because it's on the dated DEW98 platform that the Mustang rides on... and the Thunderbird did, and the Lincoln LS.

<pwned>

<pwnage>

That Jaguar XF that you hump all the time must really SUCK then because it's on the dated DEW98 platform that the Mustang rides on... and the Thunderbird did, and the Lincoln LS.

<pwned>

Mustang rides on D2C. Somewhat related but still very different.

Thunderbird and LS make your point, however.

Mustang rides on D2C. Somewhat related but still very different.

Thunderbird and LS make your point, however.

If I'm reading that correctly, that means the Jag rides on an older version of the platform than the Mustang.

:roflmao:

If I'm reading that correctly, that means the Jag rides on an older version of the platform than the Mustang.

:roflmao:

It's been updated for the XF which replaced the S-Type. Plus, the DEW98 had better suspension (the Mustang has Mac struts in front and a live rear axle). They cheapified the suspension for DC2.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

The XF platform was from the S-type but upgraded, and the suspension came from the XK. The next XF will be an all aluminum chassis.

Zeta's problem is it is too heavy. And does anyone think the CTS-V would be a better car if it was on the Zeta platform? A Zeta Cadillac would have to go against the aluminum/magnesium XJ, an all new 7-series that has 8 gears and a twin turbo V12, and the S-class which also has a twin turbo V12 and 45 years of rock solid reputation.

The hardware to build an S-class like sedan doesn't exist within GM. I wish it did, but it doesn't. Therefore the XTS will be a FWD/AWD Epsilon car with a 290 hp V6. We already have a FWD DTS with 290 hp, how is that working out? Acura had an AWD only, 300 hp V6 car in 04 or 05, and look at what a dud the RL has been, Cadillac doing the same thing six years later isn't going to work out any better. If you want to go after the 5-series, E-class or higher, you better send power to the rear wheels.

I can't find the article, but Reuss has gone on record as saying that Zeta will go on a diet in its next iteration, most likely in time for the Commodore redo in '13. Not sure if this applies to the XTS, but know that the weight issues will be addressed.

I do agree with you that this car needs to be RWD, if only for prestige reasons. If GM can't resist the urge to make a large FWD car, Buick is a more natural home.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room