Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Josh

Where are the other countries now?

55 posts in this topic

This has got to be the worst natural disaster in history, forget the Tsunami's and where are these other countries? Where are the celebrities? This makes me sick. Watching this on TV, yet no country, nor any celebrity coming forward with a donation, or pledge to raise money. I'm about ready to start the C&G Donation working with the American Red Cross. It's the least I can do watching this terrible disaster on TV.

It's pretty damn bad, isn't it? Where's our HUGE companies, too? Every company in the stockmarket should be donating. Every celebrity. Most of the other countries, especially the UN. Where are you guys?!

The UN is self-serving and it can't even serve itself decently. Corrupt, too. Most large corporations are indeed donating - The Big Three, Nissan, Honda, Wal-Mart, GE, Boeing, etc. Many are helping out by deferring payments etc. to assist people getting back on their feet. One thing that does make me sick is that we continue to fund the building of infrastructure in the ungrateful quagmire of Iraq. What a wise investment.

The UN is self-serving and it can't even serve itself decently. Corrupt, too.

Most large corporations are indeed donating - The Big Three, Nissan, Honda, Wal-Mart, GE, Boeing, etc. Many are helping out by deferring payments etc. to assist people getting back on their feet.

One thing that does make me sick is that we continue to fund the building of infrastructure in the ungrateful quagmire of Iraq. What a wise investment.

[post="7337"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I meant the countries of the UN. Not the organization itself.

Diddy gave Snopp Dogg and Gwen Stafani 50,000 each to spend it on waht charity they want for being best dressed, so they sent it to the red cross, in a way thats three celebrities.

This has got to be the worst natural disaster in history, forget the Tsunami's and where are these other countries? Where are the celebrities? This makes me sick. Watching this on TV, yet no country, nor any celebrity coming forward with a donation, or pledge to raise money.

I'm about ready to start the C&G Donation working with the American Red Cross.

It's the least I can do watching this terrible disaster on TV.

[post="7333"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Worse than the tsunami in December? That's absolutely ridiculous. Over 200,000 people died in the Sumatran earthquake and ensuing tsunami and those who survived didn't get anywhere near the kind of relief that victims of Katrina will.

The US has a well organized response to deal with this. FEMA, National Guard, Red Cross, they're all out in force. There was a week's worth of warning for this disaster and now the US, the most properous country in the world, is dealing with it. We haven't even ASKED for any foreign aid and you're bitching about how we're getting none?

I'm not complaining and I'm not saying we're not getting aid. I think he was saying to exclude the tsunamis. There's no way Katrina is more devastating than those.

Worse than the tsunami in December?  That's absolutely ridiculous.  Over 200,000 people died in the Sumatran earthquake and ensuing tsunami and those who survived didn't get anywhere near the kind of relief that victims of Katrina will.

The US has a well organized response to deal with this.  FEMA, National Guard, Red Cross, they're all out in force.  There was a week's worth of warning for this disaster and now the US, the most properous country in the world, is dealing with it.  We haven't even ASKED for any foreign aid and you're bitching about how we're getting none?

[post="7383"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Exactly what I was going to say. No way this one is bigger than the tsunami.

A search of Google News shows that several countries have been offering help. Quite a few large corporations are as well- including the one I work for: offering matching money up to a Million dollars and paying the admin costs (so that all of the money goes to aid) As for aid from stars- give them a bit more than 48 hours to get something together...

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N31102720.htm

The United Nations stands ready to help with any kind of disaster expertise that might be required ... in full recognition that the United States is the country in the world that possesses the greatest civilian and military search and rescue and recovery assets themselves," Egeland told Reuters in an interview.

He said U.S. officials had thanked the U.N. for its offer, but had not requested any assistance so far.

State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said earlier on Wednesday 10 to 12 foreign governments have offered general assistance to the United States to deal with the hurricane aftermath but no decision had been made about how these offers might be used.

There you go.

Hopefully this draws more attention to global warming and its dangers...

[post="7405"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

the ultimate outcome of global warming is an ice age, perhaps then it will get the global warmers to be quiet once temperatures are in the warm -20s :P

That reminds me of that one South Park, "How the hell is global warming going to cause an ice age?"

I dont understand putting a cap on donations. If you're going to offer to match employee donations, then match employee donations, down to the last cent, doesn't matter if its $250k or $2.5mil. Not like it doesn't go down as a charitable donation on the good 'ol IRS forms.

oh jeez, im in one of my political rant moods.... ill spare u all (or atleast try) F-ing HOLLYWOOD grrrrrrrrrrrr :angry:

Hollywood activism really is entertainment. Celebrities have been begging us to give money and support to people around the world for years, mainly Africa. Yet when citizens of their #1 market (read: where they make most of their money from) are in need of help, how many come running to make tv commercials and form organizations and go into areas to try to help out? HAHA. Real entertainment. Now I know at least one reason why I haven't seen a movie in months. Edited by sciguy_0504

yea and the movie companies wonder why the theatres are doing so horrible this year. average american = sick and tired of HOLLYWOOD

More like Average Americans are sick of paying $9 to watch seventeen minutes of commercials, fifteen minutes of previews then ninety minutes of crap all while drinking a six dollar coke and eating nine dollar popcorn.

Back to the subject at hand, whenever we help another country out, it is all over the news, which aids that "We're the best country in the world" mentality. Whenever we have a huge disaster, they may show some world leaders making offers of help, but you never hear about any actual aid we receive, I think partly because that would bruise our national ego, and partly because we can handle things so well on out own that we dont really need international help for local affairs. I do agree that it would be nice if the same people who try to guilt me into giving $0.39/day to starving children would maybe cough up some dough to help the people in the Gulf region who really need the help. I'm sure this sounds heartless and insensitive, but I wonder how Mardi Gras will go next year. If they get the area cleaned up and at least somewhat back to normal, I think it can be good for the region, returning a sense of normalcy.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0