Design Competition #4 - K5 Design Contest

Not so fast! :suburban:

"I'll do the thinin' around here"

I still expect some more entries here.

Thanks for yours, Z.

It is certainly a contender.

I am still hoping to see another approach that occurred to me. Let's see if anyone else might be thinking along those lines.

And no, I'm not giving out any hints.

I have another idea, but I don't know if I'll be able to flesh it out before the end of the contest AND paint/tile my bathroom AND pack for my vacation that starts the week after next. :P I'll give it my best though. If I can't get it out I'm confortable with my entry as it stands now.

One last minute bit of advice to consider:

The parameters laid-out in the rules are pretty simple, but they are not restrictive in lots of ways. For instance, all of the following are true

- the size of the truck isn't specified

- no restriction is made on the source vehicles (any brand could serve as inspiration)

- Beyond being longitudinal, the engine can be whatever you wish.

- No specific generation of the Blazer is a hard and fast template for design.

- Current GM styling is not a requirement

- The traditional ties to the Suburban and pickup are not required.

And that is as close as I will get to giving you hints about the concept in my head.

I really want that freaking watch:

If you could, when you get the time, can you make the back of the truck metal? What I mean is, no removable top (like the '92-'97 Yukon 2-door rather than the '70-'91 Jimmy). I absolutely love your rendition - I was meaning to ask someone to make a Regular Cab, Short Bed out of the Sierra All Terrain HD Concept for me, but your "Jimmy" is close enough. BTW, I printed it out and pinned it to my cubical wall to stare at all day :AH-HA:

Camino, I still think z28 deserves the watch :P

If you could, when you get the time, can you make the back of the truck metal? What I mean is, no removable top (like the '92-'97 Yukon 2-door rather than the '70-'91 Jimmy). I absolutely love your rendition - I was meaning to ask someone to make a Regular Cab, Short Bed out of the Sierra All Terrain HD Concept for me, but your "Jimmy" is close enough. BTW, I printed it out and pinned it to my cubical wall to stare at all day :AH-HA:

Camino, I still think z28 deserves the watch :P

When I first decided to enter this contest I insisted that my entry have a removable top. The fixed roof on the shorty GMT-400s was my ONLY knock against them. Still that would be a relatively easy mod to implement on my current chop, while going hand in hand with the "idea" I alluded to in my previous post. I really hope I can get it done on time.

Well might as well post one of these, so let's start with this:

post-1757-0-53904400-1295234315.jpg

Chevrolet K5 Blazer

This is the first chop I did. I tell you I had a hell of a time finding a decent Tahoe photo. This one isn't great but better than most and at a decent angle, unlike the terrible GM press photography.

Anyway, this is based on the Tahoe. Same wheelbase and overall length, so GM wouldn't have to invent in those bits. In fact only from the A-Pillar back to they need to spend the money. I don't think the Silverado translates well into a 2-door SUV, and to be honest I have always preferred the Tahoe's front end. This particular one is equipped with the Z71 off road package. Yes, I know it doesn't have the Z71 bumper, I couldn't find a subtitle donor photo. However what it does have is a lift, larger tires, and wheel flares. I happen to like black wheel flares with "bolts" in them, gives it a more rugged look, so that's what I went with.

Engines would be the same as found in the Tahoe.

I have a question about that removable top, Z.

Can you describe its construction?

I'd say it'd most likely be very similar to the hardtop offered on the Wrangler. Most likely construction material would be fiberglass, but a high grade plastic is a possibility for weight savings. I supposed instead of having it bolted through the bedrails like the original, it'd clamp down or utilize some sort of rail system that could allow for aftermarket/accessory tops (tent, anyone?) to be easily mounted to it.

I'd say it'd most likely be very similar to the hardtop offered on the Wrangler. Most likely construction material would be fiberglass, but a high grade plastic is a possibility for weight savings. I supposed instead of having it bolted through the bedrails like the original, it'd clamp down or utilize some sort of rail system that could allow for aftermarket/accessory tops (tent, anyone?) to be easily mounted to it.

Thanks for the feedback. In your redering the top appears to have a very interesting texture, that spurred my question.

Chevrolet K5 Blazer

This is the first chop I did. I tell you I had a hell of a time finding a decent Tahoe photo. This one isn't great but better than most and at a decent angle, unlike the terrible GM press photography.

Anyway, this is based on the Tahoe. Same wheelbase and overall length, so GM wouldn't have to invent in those bits. In fact only from the A-Pillar back to they need to spend the money. I don't think the Silverado translates well into a 2-door SUV, and to be honest I have always preferred the Tahoe's front end. This particular one is equipped with the Z71 off road package. Yes, I know it doesn't have the Z71 bumper, I couldn't find a subtitle donor photo. However what it does have is a lift, larger tires, and wheel flares. I happen to like black wheel flares with "bolts" in them, gives it a more rugged look, so that's what I went with.

Thanks for the details!

Interesting take on the "B" pillar.

Chevrolet K5 Blazer

Great job! The only things I don't like are the JC Whitney bolt-on fender flares (not an insult to you), because the Tahoe is too classy of a truck for that kind of treatment, and the thin b-pillar (I don't associate thin pillars with BOF trucks). For the classy 2-door (3-door?) full-size SUV, the Tahoe is the right basis for this job; for the off-roading, butch-looking 2-door (3-door?) full-size SUV, I think the Silverado is the better basis (I'd buy that Tahoe though in a Heartbeat :) ) Again, great job DF and I agree with Camino - this just got more difficult to judge!!

Didn't expect to finish it this quickly... Though I'd like to do another view to showcase certain design aspects. We'll see.

chevyblazersketch.jpg

Definitely a worthy challenger there BV. For some reason though I don't see this as full-size (maybe your intent), but rather Equinox-sized and built as the off-road version (2-door of course) to the more street-able 4-door Equinox. I love the look you went with though and this is a great entry.

Great job! The only things I don't like are the JC Whitney bolt-on fender flares (not an insult to you), because the Tahoe is too classy of a truck for that kind of treatment, and the thin b-pillar (I don't associate thin pillars with BOF trucks). For the classy 2-door (3-door?) full-size SUV, the Tahoe is the right basis for this job; for the off-roading, butch-looking 2-door (3-door?) full-size SUV, I think the Silverado is the better basis (I'd buy that Tahoe though in a Heartbeat :) ) Again, great job DF and I agree with Camino - this just got more difficult to judge!!

I just don't care for the Silverado's disjointed looks. There's a chop from page one of it and that immediately turned it off to me. :P

Didn't expect to finish it this quickly... Though I'd like to do another view to showcase certain design aspects. We'll see.

chevyblazersketch.jpg

Bella Hood Looking Good!

Here's the Chevy 'KFap' Blazer.

The watch is mine, losers.

post-1376-0-26066800-1295126033.png

Fapper, Fapper, Fapper!

Not full size but who says full sizers need to have all the fun?

post-1757-0-15717600-1295329960.jpg

Based on the Colorado, I'd call it a TrailBlazer to separate it from it's full size Blazer sibling, and besides I like the name. It would be built off the extended Colorado's wheelbase. In a perfect world it would get updated powertrains including a 6-speed auto and a decent manual. I personally think the I5 sounds like a blender but its at least peppy so it could serve as a base engine with the V8 being the option/range topper.

One more to go. Saving my personal favorite for last...

Not full size but who says full sizers need to have all the fun?

post-1757-0-15717600-1295329960.jpg

Based on the Colorado, I'd call it a TrailBlazer to separate it from it's full size Blazer sibling, and besides I like the name. It would be built off the extended Colorado's wheelbase. In a perfect world it would get updated powertrains including a 6-speed auto and a decent manual. I personally think the I5 sounds like a blender but its at least peppy so it could serve as a base engine with the V8 being the option/range topper.

One more to go. Saving my personal favorite for last...

Great job man, and it looks like something the General coulda/shoulda/woulda offered.

Now a request - since they're badge-engineered anyway, can you put the GMC Canyon's face on it for me? :)

Glad to see a branching-out into other sizes.

...and my job gets even tougher.

Make it a voting poll, though I do agree that it would be very hard to choose the top 3 or 4 and in what order I would place them.