A baby Enclave

riviera74

According to Automotive News, Encore: The "Baby Enclave" compact crossover, tentatively called the Encore, will arrive in the 2013 model year. The five-seater is built on the Delta compact-car platform.

Why use the Delta platform (which is on the Chevy Cruze) rather than Theta-Epsilon (which is a second-generation SRX)? I thought Buick would be a premium marque, not a Chevy clone. I could understand if the next-gen Equinox and Terrain go to Delta 2, but why a Buick?

Maybe Encore will be small sized. The Equinox and SRX are basically mid-sized vehicles, nearly 1 foot longer than a Ford Escape. Perhaps they want an SUV in the 180-182 inch long range, and that isn't a bad idea. I think small and less expensive is good given the economy we are in. Plus, more and more people get married later (or not at all) and have less kids than they used to, so not everyone needs a big SUV, or even a midsize SUV.

• Agree 1

Maybe Encore will be small sized. The Equinox and SRX are basically mid-sized vehicles, nearly 1 foot longer than a Ford Escape. Perhaps they want an SUV in the 180-182 inch long range, and that isn't a bad idea. I think small and less expensive is good given the economy we are in. Plus, more and more people get married later (or not at all) and have less kids than they used to, so not everyone needs a big SUV, or even a midsize SUV.

It is odd they haven't given Chevy a compact SUV in NA yet..

I read that the next generation Equinox will move to the Delta platform. Some sources say the Buick Verano will be Delta, others say Gamma (Sonic).

I believe there was some talk of a Gamma-based crossover for Opel.

According to Automotive News, Encore: The "Baby Enclave" compact crossover, tentatively called the Encore, will arrive in the 2013 model year. The five-seater is built on the Delta compact-car platform.

Why use the Delta platform (which is on the Chevy Cruze) rather than Theta-Epsilon (which is a second-generation SRX)? I thought Buick would be a premium marque, not a Chevy clone. I could understand if the next-gen Equinox and Terrain go to Delta 2, but why a Buick?

Depends on the size... the TE is not that small. The TE is also pretty porky for its size at 4225 lbs.

If the idea is to make a luxurious version of the Chevy Equinox, the Delta II is ~400 lbs lighter.

I read that the next generation Equinox will move to the Delta platform. Some sources say the Buick Verano will be Delta, others say Gamma (Sonic).

Verano is a Delta.

I meant Encore. Some say Encore will be Delta, others say Gamma.

Verano is a Delta.

I meant Encore. Some say Encore will be Delta, others say Gamma.

Encore is Delta. GMC is getting the Gamma.

Encore is Delta. GMC is getting the Gamma.

I guess that would be the xB-like little GMC box (Granite?). I would assume Chevy would have a Gamma based mini-MPV/CUV eventually also to compete w/ the Ford B-Max and maybe Delta-based MPV to compete w/ the C-Max..(though that may be what the Orlando is for)

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

There is going to be some confusion on platform naming very soon because a bunch of platforms are about to get very mixed up.

The Delta II architecture is very flexible in sizing. It also has a weight advantage over Theta-Epsilon.

The next Theta is actually going to be Delta-Theta rather than Theta-Epsilon.

Expect the new Buick Encore to be roughly between Nissan Rogue and Honda CR-V in size with only 4-cylinder, 4-cylinder turbo, and 4-cylinder eAssist for engines.

True...

all it needs to do is look good and get decent gas mileage..... something that evades both Acura and Infiniti in the class the Encore will compete in.

Infiniti (i.e. Nissan) customers may not care about MPGs. Acuras probably could stand to lose a few hundred pounds too. If the Encore is Delta-Theta, lighter is better, and that is a good thing. I just want it at the dealership to get my hands on it.

I think he is referring to the RDX which is powered by a 240hp 4-cylinder and gets 24mpg or the EX which also gets 24mpg but at least has 297 horsepower.

If the Encore is lighter in this class, it could probably get 30ish mpg and still have 250hp - 260hp depending on which tune of Turbo Ecotec it gets.

I think he is referring to the RDX which is powered by a 240hp 4-cylinder and gets 24mpg or the EX which also gets 24mpg but at least has 297 horsepower.

If the Encore is lighter in this class, it could probably get 30ish mpg and still have 250hp - 260hp depending on which tune of Turbo Ecotec it gets.

Yep, I am referring to the RDX. The MDX would be an Enclave competitor, although the MDX seems smaller that the Enclave. I honestly thought Honda (which owns Acura) would have a better handle on weight and by extension, better MPGs than they actually do.

Cool! If the actual ends up looking like that chop, it wouldn't be a bad thing!

Not cool, I don't like it at all. It looks like a large hatch to me. They'd have to Buick the hell out of it for me to accept it.

• 2 weeks later...

Next gen Antara. I read Opel wants it on their platform. (So They can Build it)

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110226/ANE/110229886/1193

Development of the next-generation Opel/Vauxhall Antara will move to Opel's Ruesselsheim headquarters from South Korea and production of the compact SUV might also switch to Germany.

"The successor of the Antara, which we will bring to market in 2014-2015, will be based on our global compact architecture for the first time," Opel/Vauxhall sales and marketing boss Alain Visser told Automotive News Europe in an interview. "The responsibility for this lies in our technical development center in Ruesselsheim. Thus we will insure that the Antara successor will be a very true Opel."

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110226/ANE/110229886/1193#ixzz1NrOSYVK8