Rumorpile - 2-Door Cruze Coming Soon To Orion Assembly?

Rumorpile - 2-Door Cruze Coming Soon To Orion Assembly?

William Maley - Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

June 27, 2011

post-10485-0-58743100-1309187626.png

General Motors is very happy with the Chevrolet Cruze. The compact sedan became America’s best-selling compact for the month of May and the Lordstown, OH Assembly pant has been at full capacity trying to get vehicles out the door. With all of this good news, rumors have began coming up about GM adding another body to the Cruze lineup.

Sources say that GM is looking at whether to add Cruze Coupe to help boost the appeal of the vehicle. GM's North America President, Mark Reuss has been dropping hints about a possible coupe. Also, the car is run in different racing series around Europe.

So, where would the Cruze Coupe be built? Well, sources say GM's Orion Assembly could be the place. Why? Because the plant has been equipped to build multiple models. Orion is readying itself for Sonic production in the third quarter, followed by the production of the Buick Verano. With the Verano and Cruze sharing the same platfrom (Delta II) and Lordstown running at full capacity, this makes some sense.

Source: The Detroit Bureau

The Cruze is selling much better than most realize. In this area they are everywhere. Even my wife noticed she is seeing them all the time and she does not normally look for cars like this.

The Coupe would be a nice fit world wide.

The real key is here GM is showing a profit and making money on this car vs past cars. The worry over pricing and lack of power may have been over done.

I find the styling to look better on the road than it did when I first saw pictures of this car. It also does not look like every rounded Asian car out there.

Edited by hyperv6

The real question would be 2 or 3 door.

The trunk would do better here if you can get a box in it. and the hatch would do better in Europe and Asia. But of late the Asian companies have embraced coupes with trunks so this it what I would expect GM to choose.

Perhaps it'd be good to do like the tC and do a hatch, but make it look more like a traditional trunklid.

If I had to pick between a coupe and a wagon, I think I'd prefer they offer the wagon, but honestly I think both would be good, and sell well enough to justify.

Gm is happy with the Cruze, but every review Ive read about the car hates it. They complain about the engine being thrashy and powerless even though it has a Turbo on it. Im just glad its still selling good with these bad reviews.

Gm is happy with the Cruze, but every review Ive read about the car hates it. They complain about the engine being thrashy and powerless even though it has a Turbo on it. Im just glad its still selling good with these bad reviews.

Odd, I've found most reviews to be quite positive. Also, it appears many reviewers treat all cars like an M3, and expect them to perform as such; hence the gripes.

From what I have read they like it and say for the most it is a very good car. The lack of power is a given in a magazine as outside a super car I seldom see they say one has enough. The two areas that hurt the Chevy is the list price but in the real world that means little since only idiots pay that. ALso the numb GM steering comment always comes into play but like stated this is not a M3. This is a car for the normal average driver and that is what count giving them what they want not some writer in a magazine that dose not even own a car.

The bottom line is the public is taking to this car in a big way and it is doing what GM has never done with a small car....Make Money.

I saw a new LTZ int he parking lot at work today next to the new Ford. When I first saw the Ford at the Auto show I thought it to look better than the LT Cruze. But out in the sun and a LTZ package the Cruze has it all over the Mazda looking Ford. At least the Chevy does not look like any other car and has it's own identity.

The only part that has not grown no me is the c pillar.

Why not both 2-door hatchback and notchback? They could have a Cruze 2+2 and a Cruze Town Coupe. (Those who were alive in the 70's might get my reference.)

Monza

Town Coupe now there is a loser of a name in todays market. It gives me images of plaid 70's interiors. The 70's were not that good that I would want to recall too much, but I think the Monza name would be a nice rehash of a old name with a fresh start.

Also it would play well world wide in other markets as most would understand the name. In this market it is a long forgotten name, I suspect few will recall the issues of the cool but troubled 70's Monza.

Edited by hyperv6

I'd like to see a new Monza (sans Towne Coupe) - I don't recall any substantial problems with the original either.

As I recall, it fixed what was wrong with the Vega.

It was typical 70's issues. Rust issues, leaking oil issues, sagging doors, interior panels that would fall off, that kind of stuff. the only thing they did better than the Vega was the rust was a little less and they used less oil. Monza's and Vegas were the winter beaters of choice back in school. You could get them cheap. They are a very rare sight today as so few survived. To be honest here in Ohio. I see more Vega's than Monza's and the Vega is a rare sight of a Cosworth or most times a V8 conversion that never saw snow.

The Monza was like a Vega 2.0 version. It was better but far from fixed.

I remeber going through Lordstown to seen them built as a kid. I still remember them adjusting the rubber nose with a wood mallet. They used to beat the hell out of them.

Edited by hyperv6

I see more Vega's than Monza's and the Vega is a rare sight of a Cosworth or most times a V8 conversion that never saw snow.

You see more Vegas because it is considered by many to be a more attractive automobile. It appears to be a 5/8 scale Camaro with styling cues that are in common with the '60s and muscle cars.

The Monza ends up being a styling oddball that was too modern for the '70s but too old for the '80s. Attractive in ways, but everyone of the 2nd gen H-bodies had something stylistically disruptive about them. Plus the Vega sold in greater numbers, the Chevette stole a lot of sales from the H-bodies after 1976.

Personally, I think its a shame... there are a lot of styling packages for the 2nd gen H-bodies, FWD X-bodies, early J-bodies that should be preserved for history, but will likely be lost, as year to year differences where plentiful. Granted, they are mostly all appearance packages.

I wanted a late-model X-11 in the worst way when they first appeared. Cowl Induction hood, fuel-injected 2.8 with that iconic, feisty exhaust note, aluminum rims, black-out trim and a manual transmission. At least Chevy was trying to keep the glory days going.

I also loved the Monza 2+2, with its (WEAK) V8 and four-speed manual availability, Chevy was answering the call as best they could in those times of stifling emissions controls and the "Gas Crisis". A person would have to be blind not to notice all the V8 Vega conversions, even early on. If only the 3.8L V6 had been more developed during that time, it would have been the ideal engine for the H bodies for handling, power and efficiency.

What may have ruined the Monza 2+2's long-lasting impact on the market were the clones... Olds Starfire and Buick Skyhawk. At the very least, Pontiac Sunbird had its own front and rear ends.

I see more Vega's than Monza's and the Vega is a rare sight of a Cosworth or most times a V8 conversion that never saw snow.

You see more Vegas because it is considered by many to be a more attractive automobile. It appears to be a 5/8 scale Camaro with styling cues that are in common with the '60s and muscle cars.

The Monza ends up being a styling oddball that was too modern for the '70s but too old for the '80s. Attractive in ways, but everyone of the 2nd gen H-bodies had something stylistically disruptive about them. Plus the Vega sold in greater numbers, the Chevette stole a lot of sales from the H-bodies after 1976.

Personally, I think its a shame... there are a lot of styling packages for the 2nd gen H-bodies, FWD X-bodies, early J-bodies that should be preserved for history, but will likely be lost, as year to year differences where plentiful. Granted, they are mostly all appearance packages.

I do love the first couple of years of the Vega. They may have rusted and burned oil but they always ran and got you where you were going. Just imagine if GM had gotten them right.

The Monza was an abortion with them being designed for the Wankle and then it being pulled and replaced with the Iron Duke and other various engine with tight quarters. But trimed right they still could look very nice.

I did love the Spider Monza package but they were a pain to work on with the V8. I also like the Monza Mirage package. It is rare to see one today. The Monza also made a cool looking IMSA race car too.

Many of the cars from the 70's and 80's just are too hard to restore. Many were such low quality they got used up and nothing was worth saving. Also in many cases replacment trim and interior parts are too hard or expensive to find. With such small numbers many will never be reproduced.

It is a shame but I do fear many of these speacial packages will be lost in time.

When was the last time you saw a 81 Monte Carlo Turbo let alone with the original Turbo engine still running? A STE AWD or a Still running Grand Am Turbo? Cars like these I expect will be few if any left in the next 10-15 years.

I wanted a late-model X-11 in the worst way when they first appeared. Cowl Induction hood, fuel-injected 2.8 with that iconic, feisty exhaust note, aluminum rims, black-out trim and a manual transmission. At least Chevy was trying to keep the glory days going.

I also loved the Monza 2+2, with its (WEAK) V8 and four-speed manual availability, Chevy was answering the call as best they could in those times of stifling emissions controls and the "Gas Crisis". A person would have to be blind not to notice all the V8 Vega conversions, even early on. If only the 3.8L V6 had been more developed during that time, it would have been the ideal engine for the H bodies for handling, power and efficiency.

What may have ruined the Monza 2+2's long-lasting impact on the market were the clones... Olds Starfire and Buick Skyhawk. At the very least, Pontiac Sunbird had its own front and rear ends.

I remember a company car that used to come in to the gas station I worked at. The guys company car was a X-11 from the last year in black and silver. It was sharp. Not much of a runner but what was then.

The engine package was tweeked a little and went into the Fiero. To this day it is they best sounding non V8 GM has ever made. Pontiac did a hell of a job making such a small simple engine sound so good.

The Canadian media has been very positive... see this article for an example.

The Canadian media was positive about the 2003 Malibu. In fact, I could take a $h! in the middle of a preschool and the Canadian media would be generally positive about it.

Granted they're not as negative as the American media, but I wouldn't go that far. I've seen a lot of hate for the Camaro lately in the Canadian media. Example of Camaro hate