SATURN AURA RADIATES STYLE, REFINEMENT

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what annoys me about this?  How come this vehicle is getting features that should be available on a more expensive product?  I mean, simple things like Auto Up for the windows, LED taillamps, LED illuminated gauges.. all that should be on Buicks.

I'm very happy to see it on the Aura, I really am.  I just can't understand things like why this gets a more powerful base engine than the LaCrosse... why it gets a few extra features the LaCrosse doesn't have, and even larger wheels than the LaCrosse!

maybe when the lacrosse is updated it will have these features.. they need to put the 3.5L in the base lacrosse and finally send the 3800 to the big scrap yard in the sky..

With Some Mods. I used the Saturn Vue Redline Wheels. ANd changed the front a bit.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hope you like it.

You're right, the wheels make a big difference, I'm surprised by how much it improves the car. A petition should be started to have GM change the wheel design for the Aura, and send this pic as proof positive.

Interior is a big step up. Cadillac just got schooled. LED gauges are a nice touch.

That steering wheel has got to go. Of all the sad things to standardize on.

Also kind of strange that the interior door handles are at a bit of an angle. I understand why they did it, but it is a bit different to look at.

I second the comment on the 4spd on the base V6. They should have gone with a ecotec 4 and the 6spd. That would have been a very popular combo.

It kind of worries me that the price was not released.

I kind of like this car.. like the G6 the 2.4L ecotec will become the base engine after 6 months from launch.. this thing does look alot like a G6 from the rear. not suprising since they are basically the same car.. they are going to take some heat with the pushrod 3.5L and 4 spd auto.. it looks like all the 3.5L will have a 20 hp increase for 2007. this means the malibu, G6 and impala will recieve the extra HP as well.. the 3.9L will jump to 265-270 hp also.. there will probably be a Redline Aura for 2008 that will offer a 6spd manual..

Interior is a big step up.  Cadillac just got schooled.  LED gauges are a nice touch.

That steering wheel has got to go.  Of all the sad things to standardize on.

Also kind of strange that the interior door handles are at a bit of an angle.  I understand why they did it, but it is a bit different to look at.

I second the comment on the 4spd on the base V6.  They should have gone with a ecotec 4 and the 6spd.  That would have been a very popular combo.

It kind of worries me that the price was not released.

What's wrong with the steering wheel? It's the nicest one GM's got. Looks far better than what's in the Malibu or G6 sedan.

Nice!!! Then, rip the molding off and you have the concept Aura. :thumbsup:

If by having the concept you mean simply the bumper? No, the bumper on the concept was a different shape.

I kind of like this car..  like the G6 the 2.4L ecotec will become the base engine after 6 months from launch..  this thing does look alot like a G6 from the rear.  not suprising since they are basically the same car..  they are going to take some heat with the pushrod 3.5L and 4 spd auto..  it looks like all the 3.5L will have a 20 hp increase for 2007. this means the malibu, G6 and impala will recieve the extra HP as well.. the 3.9L will jump to 265-270 hp also..  there will probably be a Redline Aura for 2008 that will offer a 6spd manual..

I doubt they'll feature a manual in the Red Line. Probably paddle shifters like what we see now and the 6-speed tuned more aggressively.

I kind of like this car..  like the G6 the 2.4L ecotec will become the base engine after 6 months from launch..  this thing does look alot like a G6 from the rear.  not suprising since they are basically the same car..  they are going to take some heat with the pushrod 3.5L and 4 spd auto..  it looks like all the 3.5L will have a 20 hp increase for 2007. this means the malibu, G6 and impala will recieve the extra HP as well.. the 3.9L will jump to 265-270 hp also..  there will probably be a Redline Aura for 2008 that will offer a 6spd manual..

There's no certainty that the other 3.5Ls will receive the hp increase. After all, the 3.5L in the Impala has 10hp more than the Malibu and G6.

I kind of like this car..  like the G6 the 2.4L ecotec will become the base engine after 6 months from launch..

Actually, from what they said the only 4 cyl version will have the 2.4L, but it won't be the base engine - it will be the Green Line hybrid model. Though maybe that will still price below the V6? That'd be cool... :) THAT'S economy!

What's wrong with the steering wheel? It's the nicest one GM's got. Looks far better than what's in the Malibu or G6 sedan.

I hate the 3-spoke steering wheel. It looks awesome, but I like to hold the steering wheel at the 6-oclock position, so the 3rd spoke gets in the way and is REALLY uncomfortable.

Edited by PurdueGuy

Wheels are an easy but relatively expensive fix from the aftermarket. I'd like to see the 17" actually. According to the article, the ones in the picture are the 14 spoke 18's, however they don't look polished to me. These do scream Chrysler Sebring.

Nice to see the Baseball glove interior made it thru to production, very distinctive and sets Saturn apart from all other vehicles. However I wonder how long until I grow tired of seeing it each day. Agreed that the wood must go and the brown with the gray is a little off. Again distinctive, but grow old fast...?

The most impressive things are those that GM should have had for years. V6 with healthy horsepower, a 6-speed tranny, stabiliTrak on a Saturn, front and rear disc brakes, heated seats with cloth(budget conscious), all the standard airbags, Power up AND down windows.

My only qualms are the 4 panel roof and no mention of tilt AND telescoping steering wheel. I'd prefer a conventional tilt/sliding moonroof. Hopefully the interior room can rival those of a larger car as I would expect since the G6 seemed bountiful in rear leg room for me.

I also see the new Impala in the greenhouse from certain angles. Overall definitely worth the test drive and look when shopping for a new car in about a year.

One last thought, couldn't GM have unveiled this in a different color? For over a year we've only seen this car in that grey...Let's get a fresh look to it!! I was really hoping to see that Green as an option that was on a Sky here sometime back.

Maybe when I am ready to buy the Red line version will be out. I still can't believe this car is finally in production(well this summer at least). What a long wait.

Actually, from what they said the only 4 cyl version will have the 2.4L, but it won't be the base engine - it will be the Green Line hybrid model.  Though maybe that will still price below the V6?  That'd be cool... :)  THAT'S economy!

I hate the 3-spoke steering wheel.  It looks awesome, but I like to hold the steering wheel at the 6-oclock position, so the 3rd spoke gets in the way and is REALLY uncomfortable.

Lol that's not the "proper" way to hold a steering wheel anyway. Shame Shame :P

Lol that's not the "proper" way to hold a steering wheel anyway. Shame Shame :P

I do 10-2 when I expect to make turns, and 6 on the interstate when I'm just going to be sitting there and not likely to turn the wheel more than a few degrees for very long periods of time. Just be glad I'm not using my knee on the interstate. ;)

I do 10-2 when I expect to make turns, and 6 on the interstate when I'm just going to be sitting there and not likely to turn the wheel more than a few degrees for very long periods of time.  Just be glad I'm not using my knee on the interstate. ;)

lol my girlfriend sometimes does that...

*IF ANYONE FROM GM IS READING THIS*

----------

The generic, indistinct wheel design that debuted on the Aura XR is the one aspect that detracts from the production exterior's progressive overall appearance. I applaud GM for remaining so true to the concept's winning sheetmetal, but the wheels are unfitting of the design's otherwise athletic demeanor and hinder it's ability to stand out in an oversaturated market. Subsituting the wheels for a sportier (if still understated) alternative like those on the Sky or even the Outlook would accent the Aura's exterior far more effectively. The XR's current wheel design looks more suited to the XE trim, rather than the uplevel XR.

The Aura has what it takes to turn Saturn around. Don't allow something as frivolous as wheel options to cause it to blend in.

----------

Thank You

Edited by Bimmer325

The generic, indistinct wheel design that debuted on the Aura XR is the one aspect that detracts from the production exterior's progressive overall appearance.  I applaud GM for remaining so true to the concept's winning sheetmetal, but the wheels are unfitting of the design's otherwise athletic demeanor and hinder it's ability to stand out in an oversaturated market.  Subsituting the wheels for a sportier (if still understated) alternative like those on the Sky or even the Outlook would accent the Aura's exterior far more effectively.  The XR's current wheel design looks more suited to the XE trim, rather than the uplevel XR. 

The Aura has what it takes to turn Saturn around.  Don't allow something as frivolous as wheel options to cause it to blend in. 

Thank You

+1 - Needs better wheels with fewer spokes. Only way you'd convince me those are the right wheels for me is if you tell me they're uber-light while staying very strong. Even then, I wouldn't like the look, just the performance implications.

The generic, indistinct wheel design that debuted on the Aura XR is the one aspect that detracts from the production exterior's progressive overall appearance.  I applaud GM for remaining so true to the concept's winning sheetmetal, but the wheels are unfitting of the design's otherwise athletic demeanor and hinder it's ability to stand out in an oversaturated market.  Subsituting the wheels for a sportier (if still understated) alternative like those on the Sky or even the Outlook would accent the Aura's exterior far more effectively.  The XR's current wheel design looks more suited to the XE trim, rather than the uplevel XR. 

The Aura has what it takes to turn Saturn around.  Don't allow something as frivolous as wheel options to cause it to blend in. 

Thank You

Well said, stick some 5-spokes on it.

Why is it the Sky's center stack, using the exact SAME corporate stereo and HVAC controls, is ENTIRELY piano-black finished, and has its seems VERY well hidden to the point the stack seems integrated, yet the Aura and Outlook do not? Doesn't make sense to me.

Why is it the Sky's center stack, using the exact SAME corporate stereo and HVAC controls, is ENTIRELY piano-black finished, and has its seems VERY well hidden to the point the stack seems integrated, yet the Aura and Outlook do not?  Doesn't make sense to me.

You know, you're right! With the piano black trim it looks totally integrated...HEAR THAT GM?!

Why is it the Sky's center stack, using the exact SAME corporate stereo and HVAC controls, is ENTIRELY piano-black finished, and has its seems VERY well hidden to the point the stack seems integrated, yet the Aura and Outlook do not?  Doesn't make sense to me.

Actually, Outlook and Sky use different HVAC controls than the Aura.

The Outlook's are also integrated into a single center-stack faceplate. They aren't plugged in.

Aura center stack:

Posted Image

Outlook center stack:

Posted Image

Sky center stack:

Posted Image

Ok, tomorrow I'm starting a thread with Bimmer's post and a post about the piano black finish, having EVERYONE respons with a "Hell yes, build it with better wheels and piano black on the radio controls!" and then sending the link to Lutz. In fact, I might as well do it right now.

The Outlook's are also integrated into a single center-stack faceplate. They aren't plugged in.

Aura center stack:

Posted Image

Outlook center stack:

Posted Image

Sky center stack:

Posted Image

The Sky at least has the same stereo head unit, the Outlook without the Nav system probably does too.

Are you being sarcastic? :stupid:  :huh:

No, it makes the outline of the stereo head look much less noticeable when it's all gloss than the flat black plastic. It creates a pretty good illusion that it's integrated.

The Sky at least has the same stereo head unit, the Outlook without the Nav system probably does too.

No, it makes the outline of the stereo head look much less noticeable when it's all gloss than the flat black plastic. It creates a pretty good illusion that it's integrated.

Oh ok.

Yeah, I really wish GM would get its interiors in order, its starting to piss me off to be honest.

WHAT were they thinking?  I would have MUCH preferred to see the 2.4L, 170hp Ecotec as the base engine....giving them a strong showing compared to the competition's base 4cyls....and why not make the 6-speed auto standard with the 4-banger as well?  Then you have an up-to-date, efficient, powerful, and perception-matching-or-beating base powertrain.

LOVE the upmarket 3.6L HF V6 and 6-speed auto.  However, where's the 6-speed manual option?????????????????????????? 

I agree 100%. Just what you said is what I've been thinking. Period. The Ecotec with the 6sp; then, the Hybrid Greenline with around 210-220HP; and then the HFV6 with 6sp; then, the RedLine. That would have been my prefered powertrain lineup.

The piano black trim would be one piece with a lot of holes in it for controls and would likely be very thin and clip over the HVAC and audio controls to make it look like one unit. In the AURA's case, it should also cover the center stack bezel.

You know what annoys me about this?  How come this vehicle is getting features that should be available on a more expensive product?  I mean, simple things like Auto Up for the windows, LED taillamps, LED illuminated gauges.. all that should be on Buicks.

I'm very happy to see it on the Aura, I really am.  I just can't understand things like why this gets a more powerful base engine than the LaCrosse... why it gets a few extra features the LaCrosse doesn't have, and even larger wheels than the LaCrosse!

THANKYOU. I REALLY DIDN'T WANT TO BE THE ONE TO SAY IT. I'M TO TIRED TO HARP ON IT, THOUGH I REALLY WANT TO. THIS SINGLE PRODUCT SHOULD SERVE AS NOTICE THAT ALL BUICK PRODUCT NEEDS TO BE ELEVATED TO THE ENCLAVE CONCEPT'S LEVELS ASAP. I HAVE EXTREMELY HIGH HOPES FOR THE NEXT LACROSSE.

I agree 100%. Just what you said is what I've been thinking. Period. The Ecotec with the 6sp; then, the Hybrid Greenline with around 210-220HP; and then the HFV6 with 6sp; then, the RedLine.  That would have been my prefered powertrain lineup.

WHY? Sure the Malibu and G6 suck, but why does GM need a third 4-cylinder mid-size sedan (other than a Green Line version)? That may be OHV and probably could have the 3.2-liter HF V-6 instead, but the 3500 V-6, at 224hp if I remember correctly is better than a Passat at a similar price, which only gets you a 4-cylinder. And as for Aura XE, ditch the wheel covers! You're not a Malibu or G6 so don't try to cover their incompetent places either!

THANKYOU. I REALLY DIDN'T WANT TO BE THE ONE TO SAY IT.  I'M TO TIRED TO HARP ON IT, THOUGH I REALLY WANT TO.  THIS SINGLE PRODUCT SHOULD SERVE AS NOTICE THAT ALL BUICK PRODUCT NEEDS TO BE ELEVATED TO THE ENCLAVE CONCEPT'S LEVELS ASAP.  I HAVE EXTREMELY HIGH HOPES FOR THE NEXT LACROSSE.

Because the whole car is newer than the Lacrosse, starting with the platform. Even with those things, the Lacrosse would be barely competitive. The Aura has a chance to be the best in its class, so why not go for it.

This just goes to show how horrible the Malibu's and G6's interiors are compared to everything else (even the Sonata). It also shows how much better that Japanese cars with the integrated controls look. GM, Ford, and Chrysler need to make integrated systems.

Oh yeah, you forgot one interior:

Dodge Startus

Posted Image

:lol:

Ok, so the G6 and Maibu are better than that at least.

LOL. I was going to put the Stratus/Sebring interior photos in but I figured new (and better, hopefully) ones will be here in a few months.

I think the Sonata's interior is the absolute worst of any midisze sedan, design-wise at least.

Yeah, I was surprised--the Sonata's interior isn't as bad as it looks.  I still hate the radio controls--they look SUPER cheap to me.

Actually the radio controls (and other switchgear) are quite nice and have a solid, upscale feel.

I think it's the goofy placement of the radio on the dash that makes it look cheap...

Aura center stack:

Posted Image

Outlook center stack:

Posted Image

Sky center stack:

Posted Image

yeah.....Outlook and SKY both show much better integration of the center stack into the dashboards.....

The AURA's design just makes it look cheaper....

WHY? Sure the Malibu and G6 suck, but why does GM need a third 4-cylinder mid-size sedan (other than a Green Line version)? That may be OHV and probably could have the 3.2-liter HF V-6 instead, but the 3500 V-6, at 224hp if I remember correctly is better than a Passat at a similar price, which only gets you a 4-cylinder. And as for Aura XE, ditch the wheel covers! You're not a Malibu or G6 so don't try to cover their incompetent places either!

I'd take the Passat's EXCELLENT new 2.0L turbo L4 any day over GM's pushrod 3.5L V6.

I've driven the new 2.0T and it's drastically improved in performance, smoothness, NVH, and lack-of-turbo lag over the old 1.8T.

AND, it may have "only" 200hp, but it moves like a scalded cat in either the Passat I've been in, or the Jetta 2.0T model I was in.....