Spy Shots: 2013 Cadillac ATS sheds cladding, gains swirls

BigPontiac

Couple things from these photos:

1. That black thing on the front is hiding something, don't expect the actual car to look like that.

2. I won't be surprised if the back end has some padding added in certain places to disguise the taillight and trunk sculpting.

3. Looks well proportioned.

4. Could be testing a "V" type model by the looks of the exhaust size.

If it doesn't have a 1.2L Ecotec 4 cylinder with a turbocharger for each cylinder and six valves per cylinder with 4 camshafts, eek-assist and a 12 speed, intuitively shifted warp drive transmission, FORGET IT. I'll buy a 3-Series instead. :neenerneener:

• Agree 1

CIMARRON!

Now that that's out of the way, I really like what I see, once you mentally remove the obvious padding. Proportions and stance look fantastic.

I love all the people that are expecting a small CTS here. I think when it comes out they will be shocked how much more than just a small CTS this car will be.

Cadillac is moving up and the CTS was only the first step and the ATS is only the second. We will see some changes at Cadillac in the coming years many never expected. It Expect it may become the car it should be.

Ruess and Lutz now have the money to do what is needed not just what they can afford.

I suspect the BMW thing may be the key to the engine program they have needed to put some space between them and Chevy.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

I think a lot of people are going to be thinking a lot about what they're going to be thinking when this comes out, and a lot more people are going to be really surprised at how much thinking they did and how they were not so surprised to find out it was less than they thought. At first. :wacko:

• Agree 2

I think a lot of people are going to be thinking a lot about what they're going to be thinking when this comes out, and a lot more people are going to be really surprised at how much thinking they did and how they were not so surprised to find out it was less than they thought. At first. :wacko:

You think?

If it's as nice as the 2nd gen CTS in a smaller package w/ the latest cabin tech and drives similar to the C-class and 3-series, then I suspect it will be very good indeed...

This car needs to improve all areas of the 2nd gen CTS if Cadillac will ever get to where they need to be. The CTS is wonderful but it is also a few years old while the others are movin ahead in all areas not just the cabin.

• Agree 1

ATS coupe on this platform, but I guess that doesn't really count as building something else on it. Camaro is likely, which should mean, smaller and lighter, which is a good thing. Rumor is the next CTS will be built on the Alpha platform also and get 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder power.

I don't see anything from Buick or GMC on Alpha, since Buick is committed to FWD and GMC is trucks and FWD CUVs. So the 'anything else' would be Chevy. I can't see a small RWD Chevy sedan, though, since they have a full line of FWD sedans already..

A Mini/HHR car would be FWD.

I also don't see a small 2 seater out of this at least right now. with the economy in the tank GM could be better served on higher volume cars that will make more money xs a low profit low volume car.

I would love to see them get creative witht e Alpha and see what they could build on it that would be new to the market.

Do we have any real specs on Alpha yet?

Not that I've seen..but I suspect the dimensions for the ATS will be close to the that of the current BMW 3-series or Merc C-class...approx 108 inch wb, 179-180 inch length, 70 inch width...maybe 3300- 3500lbs..

Do we have any real specs on Alpha yet?

Not that I've seen..but I suspect the dimensions for the ATS will be close to the that of the current BMW 3-series or Merc C-class...approx 108 inch wb, 179-180 inch length, 70 inch width...maybe 3300- 3500lbs..

I always felt a bit cramped in a 3-series...