Saturn Outlook FWD and AWD

Body style / driveline:

Crossover SUV / front-engine; front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive

Construction:

Body-frame integral

EPA vehicle class:

Sport Utility Vehicle

Manufacturing location:

Lansing Delta Township Assembly Plant, Lansing, Mich.

Key competitors:

Ford Freestyle; Honda Pilot; Toyota Highlander

Engine

Type:

3.6L V-6 VVT

Displacement (cu in / cc):

217 / 3564

Bore & Stroke (in / mm):

3.70 x 3.37 / 94 x 85.6

Block material:

aluminum

Cylinder head material:

aluminum

Valvetrain:

DOHC; 4 valves per cylinder; variable valve timing

Fuel delivery:

sequential fuel injection

Compression ratio:

10.2:1

Horsepower (hp / kw):

265 / 198 @ 6600 rpm w/ single exhaust (est.)

267 / 199 @ 6600 rpm w/ dual exhaust (est.)

Torque (lb-ft / Nm):

244 / 331 @ 3200 rpm w/ single exhaust (est.)

247 / 335 @ 3200 rpm w/ dual exhaust (est.)

Recommended fuel:

87 octane

Max. engine rpm (fuel cutoff):

6900 rpm

Emissions controls:

dual close-coupled converters; 2 pre- and 2 post-oxygen sensors

Estimated fuel economy:

17 / 25 / 23.4 (FWD)

16 / 24 / 22.4 (AWD)

Transmission & Power Take Off Unit (PTU)

Manufacturer:

GM Powertrain

Type:

Hydra-Matic 6T75 6-speed FWD/AWD automatic transmission

Gear Ratios (:1):

First: 4.48

Second: 2.87

Third: 1.84

Fourth: 1.41

Fifth: 1.0

Sixth: 0.742

Reverse: 2.88

Final drive ratio:

3.16 (FWD) 2.73 (AWD – PTU)

Chassis/Suspension

Front:

Coil-over strut; direct acting stabilizer bar; full perimeter isolated cradle

Rear:

Linked H-arm independent suspension; coil springs with mono tube shock absorbers mounted on isolated sub-frame

Steering type:

Hydraulic rack-and-pinion; straight ratio and variable effort

Steering ratio:

Steer wheel turns, lock-to-lock:

Turning circle, curb-to-curb (ft / m):

40.4 / 12.3

Brakes

Type:

4-wheel disc

Rotor diameter (in / mm):

front: 12.8 x 1.1 / 325 x 29, ventilated

rear: 13 x 0.8 / 331 x 20, ventilated

Anti-lock braking system (ABS):

Bosch 8.0 Chassis Controls: ABS / ETC / ESC w/rollover mitigation

Wheels/Tires

Wheel size and type:

18 x 7.5-in; cast aluminum (std)

19 x 8-in; cast aluminum (opt)

Tire size and type:

P255/65R18 ALS blackwall (std)

P255/60R19 AL3 blackwall (opt)

Dimensions

Exterior

Wheelbase (in / mm):

118.9 / 3020.7

Overall length (in / mm):

200.7 / 5097

Overall width (in / mm):

78.2 / 1986

Overall height (in / mm):

72.8 / 1846 (w/roof rails); 69.9 / 1775.5 (w/o roof rails)

Front Track (in / mm):

67.1 / 1704

Rear Track (in / mm):

67.1 / 1704

Curb weight (lb / kg):

4722 / 2142 (FWD)

4936 / 2239 (AWD)

Min. ground clearance (in / mm):

7.4 / 189 (FWD and AWD)

Interior

Seating capacity:

7 or 8

Headroom

First row (in /mm):

40.4 / 1024 (w/o sunroof); 38.5 / 978 (w/ sunroof)

Second row (in / mm):

39.3 / 996 (w/o sunroof); 38.3 / 973 (w/ sunroof)

Third row (in / mm):

38.4 / 975.3 (w/o sunroof); 38.4 / 975.3 (w/ sunroof)

Legroom

First row (in / mm):

41.3 / 1049

Second row (in / mm):

36.9 / 937.2

Third row (in / mm):

33.2 / 843.2

Shoulder room

First row (in / mm):

61.9 / 1574

Second row (in / mm):

61.1 / 1551

Third row (in / mm):

57.8 / 1468

Hip room

First row (in / mm):

57.8 / 1468.1

Second row (in / mm):

57.9 / 1470.6

Third row (in / mm):

48.3 / 1226.8

Cargo volume

Second and third row folded (cu ft / L):

117 / 3313

Second row up, third row folded (cu ft / L):

68.9 / 1951.2

Behind third row (cu ft / L):

19.7 / 557.9

Capacities

Fuel tank (gal / L):

22.0 / 83.3

Engine oil (qt / L):

5 / 4.7

Transmission fluid (qt / L):

9.5 / 9.0 (Dexron VI only)

Cooling system (qt / L):

11.85 / 11.18

Max towing capacity (lb / kg):

4500 / 2041

GCWR(lb / kg):

9500 / 4309 (FWD)

9700 / 4400 (AWD)

GVWR (lb / kg):

6398 / 2908

I was hoping for power closer to the 287 hp we were told was on the Buick Enclave but I guess it's pretty good for 87 octane and the mileage figures seem decent.

This thing is approaching 5,000 lbs!

The gas mileage is good concerning the weight I agree. But 267 hp and even less torque is not going to feel very 'brisk' when trying to move around almost 5000 lbs.

The V6 Saturn Vue has only 25 less hp and torque that is almost the same, yet has more than 1,000 less to move around.

It looks good, just I was expecting a little more power or a lot less weight. I was thinking maybe slightly over 4,000 lbs..putting it in the Envoy/Trailblazer weight class.

This thing is approaching 5,000 lbs!

The gas mileage is good concerning the weight I agree. But 267 hp and even less torque is not going to feel very 'brisk' when trying to move around almost 5000 lbs.

The V6 Saturn Vue has only 25 less hp and torque that is almost the same, yet has more than 1,000 less to move around.

It looks good, just I was expecting a little more power or a lot less weight.  I was thinking maybe slightly over 4,000 lbs..putting it in the Envoy/Trailblazer weight class.

Well, the X5 3.0 is not that much lighter and feels amazingly peppy with it's 225hp 3.0L inline-six....

But then again, BMWs have always felt quicker and more powerful than their (probably conservative) power ratings.

Well, the X5 3.0 is not that much lighter and feels amazingly peppy with it's 225hp 3.0L inline-six....

But then again, BMWs have always felt quicker and more powerful than their (probably conservative) power ratings.

let's cut to the chase.....this vehicle in some cases is a minivan in drag. some will cross shop this with some of the vans.

the 119 inch wheelbase gives it away. Not a bad thing, but the weight of this is about 3-500 pounds over some of the competitors minivans, which have more room.

At the same time, I'm guessing they overbuilt the chassis so it is strong. It would have been nice if they could have kept 3-500 pounds of the weight off and given back 2-3 mpg. The Freestyle is lighter but not as cavernous, I don't think. The GM looks much better.

But that's really grasping for something negative. They are a LOT lighter than that pig Audi Q7.

Conspiracy theory....chevy should have gotten this vehicle too. Maybe GM didn't want it in chevy showrooms because it would likely steal all sorts of 07 Tahoe sales!

Edited by regfootball

I was hoping for power closer to the 287 hp we were told was on the Buick Enclave but I guess it's pretty good for 87 octane and the mileage figures seem decent.

The Enclave has 270hp.

also keep in mind... someone's (some GM brand) gotta have a minivan that actually looks like a minivan - that market isn't going to just vanish.

That's where Chevy's and GMC's Lambda minivan comes in.

The Outlook is great and I can't wait until dealers get it so I can buy one. Any word on prices?

GMC will not have a minivan.  That would be the death of the division.

Last reported Chevrolet and GMC will receive the Lambda minivans... Saturn's Relay replacement was cancelled.

And no... it would not be the death of GMC... the minivan may not sell great, but it wouldn't hurt GMC. It's also the only way to provide Buick-Pontiac-GMC dealers with a minivan without hurting Buick or Pontiac's image.

God help me, but I have no problem with a well-executed Buick minivan. Terrazas seem to do very well around here and look mighty sharp if I may say so.

I actually agree... I've been an advocate for the Terraza from the beginning. If any GM brand should have a Town-n-Country competitor, it should be Buick. And yes, it's selling better than expected.

God help me, but I have no problem with a well-executed Buick minivan. Terrazas seem to do very well around here and look mighty sharp if I may say so.

Agreed, I see more Terrazas then any other CSV. Uplanders being second and catching up fast, Relays being 3rd and I've seen two Montana CSVs ever.

The interior of the Terraza is very attractive looking. It may not be the best van out there as far as utility or performance is concerned, but it definately has one of the nicest interiors and a fairly handsome exterior. In the luxury class, the utility of the vehicle becomes secondary. See also BMW X5.

Thats a full-size cargo van that comes with V8s and 4WD and is an almost exclusive fleet vehicle used for work.

Yeah, I mean a real minivan.

http://auto.consumerguide.com/Auto/Used/re...carreviewspecs/

1990-2005 GMC Safari Specs & Safety

Updated: 02.22.2006

Price Range: $700-15,900

Class: minivan

Value In Class: 4 (what's this?)

The Astro/Safari twins were powered exclusively by the 4.3L V6 throughout their run.

2005 GMC Safari:

Length - 176.8 or 186.8"

Width - 77"

Wheelbase - 111"

Curb Weight - 3960-4068 lbs.

2007 Saturn Outlook:

Length - 200.7"

Width - 78.2"

Wheelbase - 118.9"

Curb Weight - 4722-4936 lbs.

2006 Honda Oddysey:

Length - 201"

Width - 77.1"

Wheelbase - 118.1"

Curb Weight - 4378-4655 lbs.

I don't expect the Lambda minivans to have the exact same dimensions as the the crossovers, but they should be in the same ballbark. The Oddysey minivan is bigger than the Safari "full-size" van.

-RBB

Edited by RBB

Don't kid yourself; people love those Safaris/Astros. My good friend's mom now wants to buy a newer one to replace her '95, especially since they don't make them anymore. Very hardcore cult following.

I would much rather Buick get the minivan rather than GMC. Trim it out nicely as a six-seater with three rows of captain's chairs. Let Chevrolet maximize the utility with their version of Stow-'n'-Go; allow Buick to offer the real luxury van, something for which there is certainly a market.

Now we'll have more kids opening back doors of crossover vehicles and dinging cars instead of sliding minivan doors, thats a bummer.

When going somewhere in our 06 Escape, me and my wife avoid other SUVs and minivans like the plague when we're parking. She always gets so pissed when we come back out and a van has parked next to it. lol :lol:

Don't kid yourself; people love those Safaris/Astros. My good friend's mom now wants to buy a newer one to replace her '95, especially since they don't make them anymore. Very hardcore cult following.

I would much rather Buick get the minivan rather than GMC. Trim it out nicely as a six-seater with three rows of captain's chairs. Let Chevrolet maximize the utility with their version of Stow-'n'-Go; allow Buick to offer the real luxury van, something for which there is certainly a market.

Nothing wrong with the Astro/Safari vans. I drove one for a few months after my sunbird died, and it wasn't bad at all(it was a cargo van though). If I absolutely had to get a minivan, those would be it. If I could, one of the conversion van ones. They're really nice, and no too expensive.