Sign in to follow this  
Variance

Detroit Designers: "'Retro' is a no-no."

Detroit Designers: "'Retro' is a no-no."

Posted Image

Designers for Ford and Chyrsler offer their views on "retro" cars. (Don't let Pat Schiavone know I used a bad word.) Could Chyrsler be bucking the retro trend in favor of a different design direction? How much of their own roots will Ford tap?

Read "Retro Is Evil: Detroit Designers Warn Against 'Craptastic' Cars" @ Edmunds

Here's my semi-humble opinion: :D

Camaro Concept: YES!

Challenger Concept: eh... not so much.

FJ-Cruiser: God no! :puke:

*snifle* How dare they put down the PT....it and the LX cars are some of the best ever introduced onto the market....Look at how the PT is still selling very well and how 300's are seen eveywhere. Scion xB...yeah right.

What's wrong with retro?

Some cars can be retro <PT Cruiser, Challenger, Mustang>

Some cars can be modern <Fusion, Milan, Sky, Caliber>

Some cars can be neither <Lucurne, Sebring, Camry>

All I see here is that I have lots and lots of choices..... what's wrong with that?

What's wrong with retro?

Some cars can be retro <PT Cruiser, Challenger, Mustang>

Some cars can be modern <Fusion, Milan, Sky, Caliber>

Some cars can be neither <Lucurne, Sebring, Camry>

All I see here is that I have lots and lots of choices..... what's wrong with that?

Exactly. :pbjtime:

It's not (or shouldn't be) about "retro" or not; the issue should only be about good, lasting, engaging design. Which a vast majority of the so-called "retro" cars have in great quantity. Thusly: bring it on!

To me its more about each inidvidual design. Some cars can carry a 'retro' design well. But it should be used on very few designs otherwise it dilutes the effect and makes everything just look OLD.

I don't mind retro.. just as long as the vehicle isn't underpowered and overpriced

Examples:

-Plymoth Prowler (Still looks damn good even today IMO)

-Ford Thunderbird

-Chevy SSR

I don't mind retro.. just as long as the vehicle isn't underpowered and overpriced

Examples:

-Plymoth Prowler (Still looks damn good even today IMO)

-Ford Thunderbird

-Chevy SSR

i don't think the prowler's looks were an issue, it was the powertrain. a wussy mitsu v6? get real.

If done right (new Mustang), this is one area where Japan INc. can't follow. Asian marques certainly don't have any heritage vehicles on this side of the ocean, and if you've ever seen any of the vehicles they were forced to drive in the 50s and 60s over there - well, you would see what I mean!

Retro has to harken back to the good ol' days while at the same time, bring a modern and fresh interpretation to the great old design.

There is nothing wrong with reminding 40 year olds of what their parents drove when we were kids, or pointing out to 30 year year olds that there were better cars than their parents' '83 Citation!

Maybe create some interest in Detroit's heritage and it might even give the odd customer or two reason to PAUSE before they plunk down $40 k on their Toyota.

If done right (new Mustang), this is one area where Japan INc. can't follow.  Asian marques certainly don't have any heritage vehicles on this side of the ocean, and if you've ever seen any of the vehicles they were forced to drive in the 50s and 60s over there - well, you would see what I mean!

I wouldn't say they don't have any hertiage vehicles here. There's the Nissan (Datsun) Z cars. Admittedly, that's the only one that comes readily to mind.

i don't think the prowler's looks were an issue, it was the powertrain. a wussy mitsu v6? get real.

That was probably all they could fit in that nose since it was OHC and all.... had they used an engine with pushrods.... wait... what's that noise?

<14 black foreign luxury sedans pull up and fire machine guns into Oldsmoboi's house>

Dodgefan:

The Chevy Rep Girl said it best at NYIAS.

The Challenger is flat, it's like throwing a

brick down the highway, versus the

Camaro which is sculpted, aerodynamic

and flows air throughout & around the

car in a 21 century maner. The Challenger

is very cool, don;t get me wrong, but

when GM said the Camaro borrows styling

from the YF22 they were not just saying

that like most B.S. marketing/P.R.

That was probably all they could fit in that nose since it was OHC and all.... had they used an engine with pushrods.... wait... what's that noise?

<14 black foreign luxury sedans pull up and fire machine guns into Oldsmoboi's house>

Uh. You wouldn't hear any noise since those foreign luxury sedans are all Lexus hybrids. DUh!

Challenger rocks. Go wank

heres my opinion with DCX lately... and ive caught crap for this elsewhere and ill catch crap for it here... but im going to say it anyway...

DCX's current design themes can be summed up in one, single word: LAZY

what is the avenger? a charger that has been shrunk down... LAZY

what are the LX bodies? a lux, wagon and sport version of the same damn car... LAZY

what is the challenger? nearly line for line... the exact same car produced in the 60s... LAZY

retro is fine... but when it goes over the top its bad (challenger) and there is nothing i hate more than lazyness... innovation is key...

the camaro while being slightly retro is innovative... theres something new in that design that just draws your attention...

my english teacher has a picture of the camaro and a picture of the challenger on his wall... and ive looked around the class multiple times and seen all but one or two kids staring at the camaro...

the design is inspiring, original, fresh, the challenger just isnt

Guest Josh

I've come to the conclusion that writers of automotive pieces know absolutely nothing about the business and write just to collect a pay check.

If done right (new Mustang), this is one area where Japan INc. can't follow.  Asian marques certainly don't have any heritage vehicles on this side of the ocean, and if you've ever seen any of the vehicles they were forced to drive in the 50s and 60s over there - well, you would see what I mean!

Retro has to harken back to the good ol' days while at the same time, bring a modern and fresh interpretation to the great old design.

There is nothing wrong with reminding 40 year olds of what their parents drove when we were kids, or pointing out to 30 year year olds that there were better cars than their parents' '83 Citation!

Maybe create some interest in Detroit's heritage and it might even give the odd customer or two reason to PAUSE before they plunk down $40 k on their Toyota.

nah, the 'intellectuals' don't want that. they want 'tight panel seams' and 'finely grained low glass plastics' <_<

*snifle* How dare they put down the PT....it and the LX cars are some of the best ever introduced onto the market....Look at how the PT is still selling very well and how 300's are seen eveywhere. Scion xB...yeah right.

That's right!

The LX's aren't even retro in the sense of the Mustang, and the 300/Magnum aren't at all.

The PT was introduced when the craze was peaking, and it's an all-around great car, and it doesn't look something old-made-new-again to me like the Mustang.

To me, the PT is oddly modern and chic.

Edited by MyerShift

Say 'no' to bad design- no one wants another maxima.

Say "yes" to originality. no one wants something that looks like something else.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook