Sign in to follow this  
regfootball

VW Jetta TDI

57 posts in this topic

There was a head to head competition some time ago when the Prius came out. I can't recall which publication or where, but anyway the TDi was new(not broken in) and the Prius well, was a Prius. They did highway to highway comparisons mpg wise and city to city mpg. The Volkwagen was at the most maybe 3-4 mpg off. Give me a TDi anyday over a Prius. I almost bought one the last time I was looking for a new vehicle. I ended up with a truck...imagine that!

Not very far, and maybe in real driving it will be more economical.

I've seen a few Jettas when driving around (we got the name back in Europe - no more Vento / Bora), and I have to say it looks much better than the bigger Passat.

EDIT: does anyone know if and when it will get the 170hp diesel 2.0L?

Edited by ZL-1

If they were driving the five speed manual, you'd almost have to drive it like a complete idiot (which I have no doubt C&D editors are capable of) to get only 36 mpg combined. I think they now offer either a six-speed tiptronic or DSG as the automatic option now which keeps the numbers even closer to a manual. I know at least a dozen TDI owners and lurk around a lot at TDIclub.com...I don't know a single person who has done that poorly in combined real-world mileage. 36MPG is more like the efficiency floor with this engine.

W/ a diesel (manual at least) you short shift and let the immediate and prodigious torque do its thing. You do not wind them out like a V-tech. For what they lack in 0-60 acceleration they MORE than make-up in mid-range pick-up, overall flexibility and a V8 like demeanor at interstate speeds. 0-60 as a key measure is highly overrated if you look at how you use your vehicle in about 98% of real-world situations.

On top of all this, the 1.9PD TDI is about as close to the pinnacle of modern diesel technology an early 90's Vulcan V6 from Ford is to the pinnacle of modern V6's today.

the unit they tested had DSG. I am not sure if VW is offering a stick for 06 witht he TDI. They said the TDI may be delayed or go away in 07 because of the new regs.

in any case, the very next page, the new Camry Hybrid got 33 mpg.

it is bigger. but not the 37 mpg they advertised in the same mag like 2 months ago.

I bet the new 06 TDI might get slightly less because its heavier and bigger than the last Jetta.

if VW does bring the new TDI for use with the cleaner diesel for 07, then we'll see if it can keep its great mpg and improve accel a bit.

Even witht he slower 0-60 I bet in real world use it feels good because of the big torque.

Two words: "Rabbit Diesel". :)

x3!

VW will be back in the diesel game eventually after a little hiatus. We'll probably see a common-rail diesel Rabbit in the 2008 or 2009 model year. By that time, I'm pretty sure VW will have some company in the compact diesel market from D/C (with the Caliber) if not a couple others.

There is some scuttlebutt about the EPA regulations being relaxed to the extent they may be able to offer the existing PD TDI a little longer than expected but I'm not counting on it.

I'm currently looking into finding one of the last '06 Golf TDIs but so far it looks like the only ones left are automatic and the dealer I've talked to (Schmeltz in the Twin Cities) is quoting me at $22K. Well, they can kiss my rosy red a$$ with that attitude. Fortunately I have an outstate dealer that I've purchased from (and sent four other people to) so we'll see what we can do....$19K is my ceiling for an old model with the wrong kind of transmission.

peter, there is a VW dealer in St. Peter i think.  check there?

Just a little further down 169 actually...Clements. They also carry Chevrolet and Nissan as well. I work with their internet/fleet managers (Ralph and Jan) who are superb and very down-to-earth. I've sent several family members and friends there. Most recently my 'bro bought a loaded, manual Jetta TDI which he used to replace a pick-up for a 100/mile round trip commute. Not a week goes by where he doesn't tell me how much he loves that car...he saves something like $170-190/month in fuel costs and has a lifetime average of 49MPG. It's his main ride so he was perfectly fine with spending ~$25.5K for something that has luxury amenities with the fuel efficiency of a motorcycle. If you drive it that distance, the fuel savings essentially subsidize the car payment . Running up the miles (especially 90% interstate) is really inconsequential for a diesel engine.

Most of the VW sales people I've come in contact with in the Twin Cities embody what everyone loves-to-hate about VW in general...the whole "yuppier-than-thou-and-you'll-pay-a-premium-for-it" attitude.

Actually I spoke out of turn about the Schmelz price...22K is about right for a completely loaded TDI with tiptronic. I forget that transmission is about a $1300 option. But the guy I spoke with yesterday (Schmelz was his last name actually) still had the 'tude thoughout our whole conversation that really turned me off.

Still not going to pay retail for a seven year old platform with a soft-serve suspension and the wrong transmission. I love diesels regardless and the prospect of energy independence even more...but to overpay for these things is the equivalent of trading multiple day-one picts to draft a QB that probably would have been there in round 5, if you get my meaning. :banghead:

When VW trains their Diesels to not soil themselves, I'll consider one...

Posted Image

:pokeowned:

Yeah, low-sulfur diesel and particulate filters can't come any sooner.

I believe the '07 (or '08?) E320 CDI will be 50-state emissions legal.

Edited by empowah

Every few years I hear talk about how the new diesels are not at all like the old diesels. They are supposedly quieter and don't smell. When I see them on the road, they still smell and sound like crap. No thanks.

Mark

Just a little further down 169 actually...Clements. They also carry Chevrolet and Nissan as well. I work with their internet/fleet managers (Ralph and Jan) who are superb and very down-to-earth. I've sent several family members and friends there. Most recently my 'bro bought a loaded, manual Jetta TDI which he used to replace a pick-up for a 100/mile round trip commute. Not a week goes by where he doesn't tell me how much he loves that car...he saves something like $170-190/month in fuel costs and has a lifetime average of 49MPG. It's his main ride so he was perfectly fine with spending ~$25.5K for something that has luxury amenities with the fuel efficiency of a motorcycle. If you drive it that distance, the fuel savings essentially subsidize the car payment .  Running up the miles (especially 90% interstate) is really inconsequential for a diesel engine.

Most of the VW sales people I've come in contact with in the Twin Cities embody what everyone loves-to-hate about VW in general...the whole "yuppier-than-thou-and-you'll-pay-a-premium-for-it" attitude.

Actually I spoke out of turn about the Schmelz price...22K is about right for a completely loaded TDI with tiptronic. I forget that transmission is about a $1300 option. But the guy I spoke with yesterday (Schmelz was his last name actually) still had the 'tude thoughout our whole conversation that really turned me off. 

Still not going to pay retail for a seven year old platform with a soft-serve suspension and the wrong transmission. I love diesels regardless and the prospect of energy independence even more...but to overpay for these things is the equivalent of trading multiple day-one picts to draft a QB that probably would have been there in round 5, if you get my meaning. :banghead:

don't get me going on the VIKINGS

I would take one of these over the fugly Prius with it's hideous styling and goofy looking interior anyday of the week. Now if only they could add the Golf's door molding to dress up the plain looking door for protection I would really like the car.

It loses me on the 11 second 0-60 times.

Go Dubs....

but if my friend can make a 1.8T with 400 horse and still get 25/30 they have to be able to make a turbo diesel that can get great mileage and still have some moves

When VW trains their Diesels to not soil themselves, I'll consider one...

Posted Image

LMAO!

Yeah, you'd expect a German car to hold it's liqour a little better than that wouldn't you?

As has was pointed out, nothing there ULSD and advanced emissions technology can't take care of.

My wife and I picked up a 2006 Jetta TDI with the DSG a few months back. Our lowest average fuel economy since we bought the car has been 41mpg. We do a good variety of city/highway driving, my wifes drive to work includes a decent amount of stop and go. We have had one long trip where we average 49mpg. I know the numbers say ~10sec to 60 but it has plenty of acceleration, it has no problem getting on the highway and in the end we didn't buy it to be sports car. I did manually calculate all the fuel economy numbers and I don't rely on the multi-function display. I would recommend this car to anyone who wants great mileage. It's as roomy as the previous generation passat and has an interior that looks like it came out of an Audi.

Edited by clean97z

I have to admit that VW has been doing diesels for a while and they've been fairly good, before my wife got the Cobalt we had a TDI bug and it was a pretty good little rat, until for some reason air got into the Fuel Injection Pump and made it a very expensive job (dealership is an asshole, but no one else will touch it, I tired). Overall, I have to admit the diesel is a good little creature, but if I want diesel power next time, it'll come in the form of a Duramax with an Allison strapped behind it.

I drove the Jetta TDI and almost bought 2 - but the premuim price that the dealer wanted over a gas Jetta was not worth it and offset the savings the higher milage would have given me. I also calculated that I would have had to drive the TDI 250,000 miles to offset the costs of ownership versus the gas Jetta. In the end, Bought a Tahoe...The VW dealer pissed me off with his 'last minute recalculations' that jacked up the lease deal on the car...so I walked.

The Jetta is a nice, safe, high quality car. I loved it. And there is no way it took 11 seconds to get it to 60...I would not consider a car that slow.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this