Opel Theta ? Antara GTC !!!! *Merged Topic*

They might as well rename Saturn as Opel.

[post="13246"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I've thought the same thing on a couple occasions, and I have no problem with it!

Maybe that's why Mexico doesn't get Saturn... cuz they get all the Opels badged as Chevies instead.

You do know you can put two pics in one post, right? I came back thinking there was another post but it's just two posts with pics. Anyways, do any insiders know if this will have a four door version or at least a version with quad doors? I'm not sure families with babies are going to want to put them in the seats having to reach over the front seat.

You do know you can put two pics in one post, right? I came back thinking there was another post but it's just two posts with pics.

Anyways, do any insiders know if this will have a four door version or at least a version with quad doors? I'm not sure families with babies are going to want to put them in the seats having to reach over the front seat.

[post="13257"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Quoting AH-HA, from this thread about the Antara...

Gee... that'd make a nice Vue. Well at least if you add two more doors.  http://www.cheersandgears.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/AH-HA_wink.gif

Edited by AAS

Opel's coup at the IAA is the Antara GTC (Gran Turismo Crossover). With the concept study, Opel presents IAA visitors in Frankfurt a distinctively sporty interpretation of the SUV and of the dynamic Opel design language in this special vehicle format that shows just how dynamic and sporty an SUV can look today. The concept car was unveiled for the first time at the "GM Premiere Night" in the Bockenheimer Depot in Frankfurt in the presence of General Motors' top management. The Antara GTC features many innovative ideas in its interior and is powered by a 212 hp twin-turbo version of the 1.9 CDTI four-cylinder Opel engine, which ensures outstanding performance. Computer simulations show a top speed of over 210 km/h and acceleration from zero to 100 km/h in around eight seconds in combination with the six-speed automatic transmission.

Sigh. look at that powertrain. I bet it gets 40+ mpg Highway.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive...html?page=2&c=y

[post="13222"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yep about what I was thinking when I first saw that spy photo of the GMC. I must say I am VERY interested in the 'sub theta' architecture. Also I notice that there seems to be some very coupe like lines in all but the GMC's roofline.

Could this GMC actually be a Hx? It seems to just be a clay so no telling.

I really doubt that GMC is a Hummer; the taillights aren't Hummer, and nothing about it says Hummer to me. It's a good sign that it has a 6-speed auto; I hope that diesel comes here; not because I'd buy it, but because it'd get even better mileage than the Escape Hybrid, and that's selling like hotcakes.

The next VUE is going to be identical to the Concept?  Seriously?  GM just went on record saying that.  It's too good to be true.  I seriously doubt that this will show up as a Saturn.  Prove me wrong GM.  Prove me wrong.

[post="13353"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It isn't 100% but it is about as close as the Aura concept was to the production, IMO.

Seriously you WON'T see side exhaust pipes.

So do we think the spy pic is the production Antara?

http://autospy.dreamwiz.com/board/bbs/tabl...l1125400893.jpg

[post="13395"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think it's the four door version. The roofline looks a little different and not like a coupe as the concept does.

Lutz said we're getting this in production, so I'm at least holding him to his word that it will look exactly like this, whether it has 2 doors or quad doors.

According to Carl-Peter Foster, the production Antara "will obviously not be exactly the same, the car will be slightly more functional, will have a little more space, but you can expect that you will see some of the design language, some of the design cues and the overall concept you can expect to see in the series production vehicle."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the GMC a sub-Theta? If so, then it's smaller than this VUE, right?

[post="13224"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Not a 100% sure. Because of the composite construction of Theta being a hybrid BOF/Unibody I suspect the sub theta vehicle to be just short wheelbase thetas. But I do not know for certain yet.

But I do think that GMC photo in PM is legit and shot from design staff with a camera phone.

It looks sweet!! Just doesn't appear to have much utility.

[post="13278"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The production is sure to have more utility built in. The Infiniti FX that it mimicks alot of it's design of (especially in the roof, greenhouse, and stance) doesn't have the most utility, but it sells like hotcakes. The point is, Saturn (and more importantly GM) will be bring cars to the NA market that look premium and are desirable.

I highly doubt the side exhausts will go into production, unless less Lutz was serious that it will be produced exactly as is. I'm thinking he meant more like 95% as is with smaller wheels, different door handles, different roof (without the glass), and probably regular exhuast.

[post="13220"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Agreed. It'll be the same as with the Aura. The only things that'll change will be sensible things... conventional exhausts. Normal tires/wheels, a little less chrome, a little more utility. Normal roof, and probably two more doors (atleast to start). What we see though, is what we'll be getting in essence. :lol:

Agreed.  It'll be the same as with the Aura.  The only things that'll change will be sensible things... conventional exhausts.  Normal tires/wheels, a little less chrome, a little more utility. Normal roof, and probably two more doors (atleast to start).  What we see though, is what we'll be getting in essence. :lol:

[post="13611"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It will not be "95%" like the Aura, but instead as with the Opel GTC Geneve > Opel Astra GTC. The concept is an exagerated version of the real car, although not so much as the G6 concept was. Except for the extra concept "bling" it will look basically the same, but key dimensions such as overall length, length and height will change, and consequently the proportions will be slightly different. The Antara will stay a three-door, which does not mean there won't be a five-door version, at least in Saturn form. If I understand the hints given previously a significantly different three-door version will be built in the US as a Chevy. For context the Antara is a little bigger than both the Rodeo Sport (three-door Frontera) and the last Blazer three-door.

Looks nice-I read on AutoWeek it would be built in Korea alongside the S3X. 3-door hardtop crossover SUV-nice idea-probably not totally feasible, but then again, no one 20 years ago could have seen a tall hatchback Mercedes-much less 2 or 3 of them. I hope Saturn does well with the next VUE.

Posted Image

Saab 9-3 combi?

Almost looks like the 9-3x

Posted Image

[post="16354"][/post]

I would not read into the commercial picture. It is a scale clay model that is only about a foot or so long. The clay is actualy only a 1/2 vehicle sitting next to a mirror giving the ellusion that it is a full clay.