Random Thoughts Thread

Just now, balthazar said:

There's not a lot of difference between off-shelf (solid wood) cabinets and custom-line cabs. You can pay triple and still get particle board boxes.

Exactly why I built my own. But those cabinets are particularly ugly.

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, ccap41 said:

It's weird because if somebody described that grille to me, I would think it would look great but it looks bad. Something about it looks super cheap and crappy. I think it needs painted black and not plastic black. 

Bumpers on the W/T are painted, but the rest of the front is not.

21 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

You mean they don’t come with the coffee?

For the price of the coffee she should vacuum the floors and cook you dinner.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

My kitchen looks like it was remodeled maybe 15 years ago.  it's cherry wood w/ beige corian beigish countertops, stainless steel appliances.   It's ok, don't plan on remodeling anytime soon, other than replacing the light fixtures and adding a disposal.

In keeping w/ the randomness, whilst browsing Trulia I found this home nearby that I absolutely love...great location, views, layout.

https://www.trulia.com/p/oh/moreland-hills/120-skyline-dr-moreland-hills-oh-44022--2045327133

ISeg5b5y6jtwih1000000000.jpg

Perhaps homes in Moreland Hills have "more land."  Just kidding.  What's weird is how many of these homes are found in the eastern U.S.  Dunwoody, on Atlanta's north end, sure had its share of Georgian colonials (known as "a five-four-and a door") but, then, there were some streets dominated by low slung ranch homes with this same type of rock cladding.  I had to scratch my head and ask myself if I was in Atlanta or Ladera Heights (basically Los Angeles 90056).  In Dunwoody, these homes weren't cheap, but they were fairly priced compared to some national norm.  The Ladera Heights prices are not for the faint of heart.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Perhaps homes in Moreland Hills have "more land."  Just kidding.  What's weird is how many of these homes are found in the eastern U.S.  Dunwoody, on Atlanta's north end, sure had its share of Georgian colonials (known as "a five-four-and a door") but, then, there were some streets dominated by low slung ranch homes with this same type of rock cladding.  I had to scratch my head and ask myself if was in Atlanta or Ladera Heights (basically Los Angeles 90056).  In Dunwoody, these homes weren't cheap, but they were fairly priced compared to some national norm.  The Ladera Heights prices are not for the faint of heart.

The sad thing about Atlanta was that when I lived there ranches like that were being torn down on a seeminly daily basis to build McMansions. People were paying at times a million dollars for a teardown.

If you google westport now and teardown you can find ten and fifteen million dollar teardowns.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

The sad thing about Atlanta was that when I lived there ranches like that were being torn down on a seemingly daily basis to build McMansions. People were paying at times a million dollars for a tear-down.

If you google westport now and tear-down you can find ten and fifteen million dollar tear-downs.

I just do not get paying millions to tear it down and rebuild. Some just have way too much money.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

The sad thing about Atlanta was that when I lived there ranches like that were being torn down on a seeminly daily basis to build McMansions. People were paying at times a million dollars for a teardown.

If you google westport now and teardown you can find ten and fifteen million dollar teardowns.

I didn't realize you lived in "the ATL."  I liked my brick ranch in ATL.  A lot.  Coming from the West, it was a treat to have an all brick home.  And, having a carport at one edge made it all very Southern.  It kept hanging on despite tear downs all around it.  Around this past Easter, I drove down my old street and my brick ranch had met with the bulldozer and a McMansion was taking its place.  When that neighborhood was all single story ranches and splits with brick/siding, it had much more character, nothing looked out of proportion, there were way more trees, and the people were normal ... even with me living there!

• Agree 2

Been Following Acorn to Arabella on you tube...kind of cool. Building a reproduction of a 1934 Sailing yacht to sail the world....entirely from scratch.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2018 at 9:47 AM, dfelt said:

I have to agree, for the first time ever that does look nice. Still take a GMC over this, but for once the 2019 Chevy does look nice in this package.

Playing with the configurator, this also looks good to me.

image.png

This looks good, but What GMC just posted is awesome!

Now that I posted this, it does have a Transformer look! :metal: 

4 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Happy Birthday Drew, Hope you have an awesome day and evening! 🎂

Such a young Stud at 40! Rockin it well my friend! :metal:

I've moved into "Hot Daddy" status according to all the young gays.   Oh well.... I'll take it. 

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I've moved into "Hot Daddy" status according to all the young gays.   Oh well.... I'll take it. 

😛 Got ya beat by 10 years. 50 and just now hitting mid life! :D 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, dfelt said:

😛 Got ya beat by 10 years. 50 and just now hitting mid life! :D 

50 is the new 30 and 60 is the new 40.  Don't worry.  Be happy.

What I wanted to say is that I recently saw the movie "Gotti."  I generally don't like these sorts of movies, and I thought the "Godfather" series can only be seen a time or two whereas some people I know watch these flicks over and over to this day.  "Gotti" was not well received by most critics.  What made it somewhat interesting is that it was more about his family's dynamics than it was a saga.  For purposes of this forum, the number of old school GM cars in this movie is something you will notice.  There are many.  No one drove foreign cars. This is the '70s and '80s in stereotypical Italian-American neighborhoods in Queens, Brooklyn, and Staten Island.  Beyond many Cadillacs, you'll also see cars like a '75 Monte Carlo and a red '77 Grand Prix.  There are even El Caminos in a funeral procession.  If not a GM car, then these characters drove Lincolns.

Edited by trinacriabob

14 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I'll be 50 in about 20 months.  Got to work on getting fit.  I'm really physically feeling my age.  

I feel a huge difference between say 47 and 53. But i work physically every day...I can't imagine sitting behind a monitor for a living. 

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

You mean almost 30. What does 29+ feel like? :D

Twenty four years ago, 29 felt fine!

• Haha 2
  • Agree 2

Thought of trinicria Bob the other morning. No 747 passenger flights into Columbus but freighters cone into Richenbacker down where I live all of the time. 747 taking off and heading west low over our neighborhood....6 or 700 feet...morning sun...gorgeous.

Was also saddened to find that a 747 had been destroyed in an accident this week. It has been a bad week for aircraft...737 that was nearly new was destroyed with the loss of all hands...that 747...and a 757 just ran off a runway and was destroyed.

• Sad 3

Local Enterprise Rental kid came in to collect keys of cars returned by customers.  He was fully stoked because he said he was renting... himself... a... Nissan... Altima... for the weekend.  In other news, the de-nutting of the American male continues.  :rolleyes:

• Haha 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

Local Enterprise Rental kid came in to collect keys of cars returned by customers.  He was fully stoked because he said he was renting... himself... a... Nissan... Altima... for the weekend.  In other news, the de-nutting of the American male continues.  :rolleyes:

Ohhh....yeah. 

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

At least he didn't rent a Versa or Sentra.. :)

I still remember my first car rental...'95 Olds Ciera, in Washington DC...was down there in April 95 for a brief vacation from grad school. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Could have been worse....like a Nissan Leaf worse!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

At least he didn't rent a Versa or Sentra.. :)

I still remember my first car rental...'95 Olds Ciera, in Washington DC...was down there in April 95 for a brief vacation from grad school. 

My first auto rental was a Lincoln Town car when I lived for a year of hell in Texas. My parents came to visit and I needed an easier auto to get into than my lifted wrangler.

2 minutes ago, dfelt said:

My first auto rental was a Lincoln Town car when I lived for a year of hell in Texas. My parents came to visit and I needed an easier auto to get into than my lifted wrangler.

I rented many Town Cars over the years...when on vacation in So Cal or back in Ohio visiting my Mom.   Rented many Grand Marquis, Dodge Intrepids, Chrysler 300s (Ms and Cs), etc...always liked getting the big cars.   I once rented a Town Car in LA and had a fun drive up twisty Angeles Crest Highway...

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, ocnblu said:

It could always be worse.

Like, way worse.

Like, he could have rented a Malibu.

• Haha 3
  • Agree 1

Encouraging development:  regular cab new Silverado is now included in the retail section of the online order guide.  Before, regular cabs were only in the "fleet" section.  Which means, hopefully, that individuals can actually buy them without trying to find a dealer who will gray market them to retail customers.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Encouraging development:  regular cab new Silverado is now included in the retail section of the online order guide.  Before, regular cabs were only in the "fleet" section.  Which means, hopefully, that individuals can actually buy them without trying to find a dealer who will gray market them to retail customers.

Would like to think they have not given up on those quite yet.....

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Blake Noble said:

It could always be worse.

Like, way worse.

Like, he could have rented a Malibu.

Jacket?  Is that YOU?  What're you doing?

8 hours ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 9.46.44 PM.png

Shadow Gray, reminds me of the Stealth Gray on my '07 Sierra, it was a popular color back then.  And I like it now.  What is more daunting than ever is the mighty high MSRP of all new trucks.

I have not been able to get into my Facebook account for more than a few minutes for over a week.  It will not load past the first two posts.  It then times out and drags my whole PC to a halt, kicking me off the internet entirely, requiring a restart.  I can get into all my other favorites perfectly fine.  I discovered at first when it was shutting down my internet, the Windows troubleshooter was telling me my PC is trying to connect to a DNS server that does not exist, or is incorrect, but I believe that is only when trying to access my Facebook account.  Can anyone help me out with this?  TIA.

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

I have not been able to get into my Facebook account for more than a few minutes for over a week.  It will not load past the first two posts.  It then times out and drags my whole PC to a halt, kicking me off the internet entirely, requiring a restart.  I can get into all my other favorites perfectly fine.  I discovered at first when it was shutting down my internet, the Windows troubleshooter was telling me my PC is trying to connect to a DNS server that does not exist, or is incorrect, but I believe that is only when trying to access my Facebook account.  Can anyone help me out with this?  TIA.

I feel like it is a virus /malware issue...as it seems to be messing everything else on the computer up. Last time I had an issue like that, I ran Malbytes and it found a few things which fixed my problem...