Random Thoughts Thread

On 12/21/2020 at 7:10 PM, ocnblu said:

My Patriot (except for CVT driving feel) and Compass were admirable too, and reliability was contradictory to all the naysayers.  I'd own another Jeep.

The only issue with Jeep was w few years ago when you could stand on a Jeep lot and nearly every model with a Jeep badge was designed by a different company. You'd have the Wrangler harking back to AMC/Chrysler days, the Grand Cherokee with its heavy Daimler influence, the Cherokee by Fiat, and depending on the year the Compass could be Fiat or old DCX/Mitsubishi, and your choice of Renegade (Fiat) or Patriot (DCX/Mitsubishi).

So durability/reliability was very very model and year specific. 

• Agree 3

5 hours ago, ocnblu said:

The Beechcraft Plainsman... 1946... four cylinder Franklin engine driving a generator, which in turn powered four electric motors... its top speed was 160 miles per hour

There’s an extra ‘1’ in that number.

Edited by balthazar
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, balthazar said:

[googles 'bumbershoot...]

>>[i]What color did you get? [/i]<<
I think it's called 'OcnBlu'.

Ultimate Music Festival done every year here in Seattle.

Bumbershoot — One Reel

Should be an nice color. Pacific Blue Metallic.

image.png

5 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

^^^ In comparison

The Tesla Roadster is a battery electric  vehicle based on the Lotus Elise that was produced by Tesla Motors, now known as Tesla inc.  A Palo Alto California based car manufacturer that is also a technology company with its core technologies as the battery, the computer software and the proprietary motor.  Tesla Motors would eventually start building a proprietary charging network all across the planet.   The Roadster used lithium ion battery sells and the first electric car to travel to more than 200 miles per charge. Tesla would go on to sell 2 450 Roadsters in over 30 countries propelling Tesla to continue on in engineering and producing more electric cars. The Model S, Model X, Model 3 and Model Y while other vehicles are in the pipeline including a pick-up truck and a second generation Roadster.

The Model S and Model 3 becoming smash hit successes.

The other established gasoline powered car manufactures that are a century old, give or take, are currently scrambling to compete with Tesla Inc in the EV market. 

The Tesla Roadster: First Test Drive

Tesla Model S 2020 - View Specs, Prices, Photos & More | Driving

2019 Tesla Model X 75D Specifications - The Car Guide

Model 3 | Tesla Canada

Tesla Model Y deliveries begin ahead of 2022 UK debut | Autocar

Roadster | Tesla

Great technology, ugly auto style sadly. I will take the Rivian or Hummer over a Tesla.

• Agree 1

Merry Christmas, everyone ... whether under a blanket of freshly fallen snow or in balmy weather surrounded by palm trees.

Here's a trifecta of three of the better rock songs for Christmas that you repeatedly hear in restaurants and supermarkets:

^ From Hawthorne, CA ...

^ I knew a Portuguese girl at about the time this song was released who thought she looked like Mariah Carey.  There is reality ... and there are delusions.

^ Great song ... and difficult in parts ... when you consider the lyrics or see videos with footage, originally performed by the consortium Band Aid - consisting of popular British rock artists - who got together to raise money to get food to Africa.  Newer renditions from in-studio performances are better for piping this in at restaurants and commercial establishments.

Stay safe and healthy.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, David said:

The other established gasoline powered car manufactures that are a century old, give or take, are currently scrambling to compete with Tesla Inc in the EV market. 

Ironically always missed; Tesla is ALSO scrambling to compete with established manufacturers in the transportation market.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Ironically always missed; Tesla is ALSO scrambling to compete with established manufacturers in the transportation market.

That would be MY quote...

But...if you mean by Tesla scrambling to compete for a consumer's dollar regarding a vehicle purchase, than yes.

BUT...

Concerning the EV market...they got that all to themselves.

AND...

when governments all over the world are getting on the "ban the ICE" bandwagon...

And the ONLY choice consumers have to make is between EV and ICE and ICE has been taken away from them...so the consumer gets to decide what EV purchase they are forced to buy, then as it goes now...Tesla is the clear choice that consumers are gonna be making...   Leaving century old car makers in the dust...

4 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

But...if you mean by Tesla scrambling to compete for a consumer's dollar regarding a vehicle purchase, than yes.

BUT...

AND...

when governments all over the world are getting on the "ban the ICE" bandwagon...

And the ONLY choice consumers have to make is between EV and ICE and ICE has been taken away from them...so the consumer gets to decide what EV purchase they are forced to buy, then as it goes now...Tesla is the clear choice that consumers are gonna be making...   Leaving century old car makers in the dust...

Sadly scary, but true. While I do not see the US pushing out ICE any time soon-I do see many countries quickly fazing out most all ICE models. It also helps that most of these countries are way ahead in preparing, like public charging stations and EV public transportation

Might be moving too fast though.....

• Agree 2

You have to have equivalent PRICE replacements to IC in order to move consumers over. Regardless of country. If a country/ city institutes a ban and the replacement BE segment is double the ATP, the segment is going to collapse.

Saw that the Apple car is supposedly back on, but the piece I read had analysts projecting scenarios of a price of $75K to 100K. Seems at this point the assumptive model is still that BE’s are going to pretty much all be double IC vehicles. 

Someone who scrapes to afford a $30K altima cannot be forced to buy a $50K Model 3.

• Thanks 1

You are on the assumption that BEs will never be produced using an affordable for everyone business model.

Eventually,

a) All that tech will be paid for by early adopters.

b) All that tech will be made affordable by the sheer amount of EVs produced FORCIBLY by the FACT that multiple nations/cities will be banning ICE in the near future.

c) All that tech will eventually be produced by a company that has a business plan specifically tailored for the mainstream  market.  Chinese EV tech companies already exist specifically tailored for such a market...  I didnt say these EVs are Tesla Model S and Model E equivalents which could resemble Duesenberg Model SJ and Bentley Blower equivalents of the 1920s and 1930s.   The Chinese EVs are more like 1930s Fiat 500 Topolinos and VW Type 1 "Kafer" or Beetle to British and Americans...    The Chevrolet Bolt, Nissan Leaf and Hyundai Kona are more akin to  Ford Model As with a slightly higher price tag for the day that the Model A had.   

But the deal is that affordable EVs that are quite capable are ALREADY available without being penalized as if these were Fiat 500 Topolinos of the 1930s Italy driven around in 1930s America...   A Ford Model A was THE hot rodders choice...and how I sees it, a Chevrolet Bolt drivetrain does very well with many folk that electrify their hot rod of choice...   (I dont need to post former ICE vehicles that folk have decided to electrify with Chevy Bolt motors and batteries. I KNOW you know they exist)   

Prices are high for almost all EV entries as of now.  The North American market is not a very good judge of what EV pricing will look like and you are basing this idea with North American pricing.  Yes... I know we both live in North America...   Problem is...the WORLD is shifting AWAY from EVs...   No matter how strong the US car market is in sales/year as compared to other car markets of the world.  There is a BIGGER car market in China. When you add Europe to that mixture and when you combine ALL the car manufactures that Asia and Europe has (and both markets are in FAVOUR (government mandated) of an ICE ban, and when you realize that American car companies are only 2, FoMoCo and GM... then Im surprised why you are NOT scared shytless about how slow the American car market (because even in Canada, we Canadians dont really mind going all EV) is adapting to this changing of the guard...   

But then again...GM is said to be going all out EVs.

Tesla is American, so is Rivian... 

Like I said, there WILL be affordable EVs.  YOU are just not seeing that right now because Americans are too much caught up in disinformation and shytty slogans rather than what REALLY is going on...

Irony at its finest.

Tesla is at the top of EVs in sales, tech and charging infrastructure.   They wont be collapsing anytime soon...

GM is said to be adapting to this new reality.   GM MIGHT collapse if folk dont STOP buying Teslas to buy Chevrolet Bolts and Cadillac Lyriqs...   Lets be honest, GM in North America, when Quebec, New York State, Ontario, California, British Columbia, Washington and others BAN new ICE car purchases in a decade or so from now, GM wont necessarily have enough sales with ICE to make it past Honda, Toyota and Hyundai with ICE sales in North America...   In an ever shrinking ICE market in North America in 10 years from now, when Im assuming gasoline prices will be through the roof to DISCOURAGE the use of gasoline in cars, Im wondering how is it that GM survives solely on V8 powered Tahoes and Sierras?   

Catch-22...

DO they ditch EVs or do they ditch ICE to capture lost market share?  (to other EVs and to Toyota, Honda and Hyundai...a trend that continues to be a thing SINCE the 1970s...) 

Keep in mind that pick-up trucks are lucrative BECAUSE they also command high price tags...   Kinda like how Tesla commands high price tags for THEIR EVs...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

BUT...

AND...

I get the feeling we will see a price increase in gas in the not too far future.

US politics right now prove that the government is more worried about money and Wall Street than the American people. If real money can be made on EVs, our own government will find a way to make it happen....

• Like 1

I did not state 'never'.

But based on the last 2 decades, the current scenario, and the very like near-future EV vehicles, the pricing is still way too high. Were 50% of the near-future BEVs priced around $30K, I'd have no point. But they aren't. I keep waiting for the announcement of a credible near-future start-up coming in in the volume portion of the industry. While I know well that Apple products aren't 'cheap', I would've had some hope that a BE AppleKar would somehow be in that range, given how pervasive Apple phones are.

Perhaps Ford & GM WILL offer a range of median-priced BEVs, I think they have a good possibility there... but GM at least makes billions in profit, so they have the financial leverage to lose money on EVs. Startups coming in green have no fall-back, hence they start their pricing at $75,000.

>>Tesla is at the top of EVs in sales, tech and charging infrastructure.   They wont be collapsing anytime soon...<<
You realize Tesla, overall, is in the red, and that the scant recent profits are primarily driven by selling credits, not by seeing a margin of profit on the actual vehicles? Without the backing of a billionaire and a ridiculous stock price revenue stream, it'd already BE dead. I make no prediction on Tesla's future; I tend to agree it'll keep sputtering along, but time will tell.

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

the North American market is not a very good judge of what EV pricing will look like and you are basing this idea with North American pricing.  Yes... I know we both live in North America...

I have limited interest in what goes on globally because I live in North America. But it's a distinct market, and an important market, why else is every global automaker in or trying to get in?
And while American companies number just 2, the American market is  dozen & a half (or more).

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

In an ever shrinking ICE market in North America in 10 years from now, when Im assuming gasoline prices will be through the roof to DISCOURAGE the use of gasoline in cars, Im wondering how is it that GM survives solely on V8 powered Tahoes and Sierras? 

I have a problem calling going from 100% IC to 98.4% IC in 23 years "an ever shrinking market'. But GM has repeatedly stated they're going all EV (despite the recent GMC head stating they would NOT).
My point all along on this has been it's going to take a LOT LONGER than analysts, Gov't know-nothings and OEM mouthpieces say it will.

• Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

I dont think a start-up EV company will be ever capable of delivering a low-priced, mainstream BEV for the masses. The technology is just too expensive to manufacture. Add to the equation an industry that TAKES billions of dollars JUST to get going and the result is what we are experiencing right now with EVs priced the way they are no matter who is producing them.  

Yes. Im on your side Balthy when it comes to the idea that BEVs NEED to be priced at or below 30 thousand for them to succeed and perhaps overtake conventional gasoline powered vehicles. The thing is though, the industry going forward has put a MAJOR kink in the idea that :

a) ICE vehicles have a chance in surviving the next century

b) consumers will actually have a say in what THEY want to drive between ICEVs or BEVs

on the account that, as you have put it, Gov't know-nothings and OEM mouthpieces have AND social justice warriors have decided the future for all of us. And THAT future is that the internal combustion engine is done for. 

And unfortunately for us North Americans, especially for (United States of) Americans,  this phenomenon is GREATER than what we could control. Its OUT of our hands. And why I said its unfortunate for Americans, is that, for possibly the first time since WW2, The US does NOT have a global influence on this to DICTATE how its going to be. You Americans have been accustomed to be the uncontested influencer on pop culture, on the political environment, on car trends, on food trends, on musical trends on movies and fashion. But this banning of the ICE has taken a life on its own and its on a GLOBAL level. On a global level that the US really has NO say.  

The good news out of ALL of this, is that Tesla, an American company seems to be on the forefront of this change and the WORLD does NOT seem to mind. 

The other good news is that BECAUSE GM is as BIG as it is...and FoMoCo, and STILL has some global influence, GM and FoMoCo COULD be the manufacturers that COULD deliver a cost effective, priced to be low, reliable, not a penalty box EV for the masses. BECAUSE of their other high fallutin' brands such as GMC and Cadillac and Lincoln, that Ford and Chevy could take advantage of.  Plus their century old experience in manufacturing, engineering and selling cars.  

It really does NOT matter what % of market share EVs hold in 2020 or in 2021 or even in 2025 versus their ICE counterparts. The switch WILL be made to EVs whether we want it or not. Whether it be in 2025 or 2055. 

THIS is why Tesla will NEVER go down despite where there so called profits come from. 

Tesla holds 3 advantages over EVERYBODY else:

1. Their technology versus every other EV wannabe maker is  DECADES in front of everybody else in certain cases and 5 years for other cases.  They are the leaders. 

2. Their charging infrastructure is second to none and is ALL over the world and they actually OWN their charging infrastructure...

3. People ALL over the world COVET the Tesla brand and the vehicles they produce. 

The ONLY thing bringing down GM, IMO, is that maybe people wont be coveting Cadillac Lyriqs and GMC Hummers and Chevy Bolts...   It seems that FoMoCo's Mustang Mach E has the tech to at least be on PAR with Tesla products, the charging infrastructure lets it down,  but that is a trivial thing that could EASILY be assessed with a better support system with those OEMs that are partnered with that charging infrastructure.  Im on the understanding that VW and GM are also partners as well as Ford.  That is a lot of potential money for upgrades and upkeeps... If Tesla could take care of that side of EV business, there is no reason why this should fail for FoMoCo, GM, VW, Volvo, BMW etc...

And DESPITE the Mustang Mach E having a "controversial" name being called...Mustang, Im assuming many people have overlooked that and are considering it... Its a start for an EV to at least have people LOOK away and start considering OTHER EVs OTHER than Teslas...   Again, something in my heart believes that GM will NOT have that with people.   Something tells me that Cadillac and GMC are going to fall flat with consumer acceptance. NOT because of the tech, BUT because of the brand and logo BEHIND the tech...

But...I really do NOT thing it will be a LONGER gestation period for EVs to become mainstream.  When government know-nothings from ALL OVER THE WORLD are in AGREEMENT, AND OEMS of the WORLD are ALSO on the same page, (VW, GM, Mercedes, FoMoCo, Volvo, BMW)  smart ideas DO start to shape and things DO actually start to happen in the RIGHT direction...

Its still early to really predict what will happen. But we ALL know one thing though. The push to eliminate the internal combustion engine is real.  And its coming like a freight train towards us... 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 2

22 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Saw Area 51 and Cactus Gray Bronco Sports at a regional Ford dealer today.  I am enamored of the Cactus Gray, it is greener than it appears in photos, it's like a pastel green/gray colour and I love it.

How does Area 51 look in person?  It looks like a blue gray to me in photos, similar to a Toyota and Jeep color. 

9 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

How does Area 51 look in person?  It looks like a blue gray to me in photos, similar to a Toyota and Jeep color. 

That is a good description of it.  It is more blue than gray.  With the matching interior accents on the Badlands I saw ($36k was the MSRP for the Badlands with 2.0t 4, pretty much matching a Trailhawk Compass except the Ford has way more power) it really ties everything together well, imo.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

That is a good description of it.  It is more blue than gray.  With the matching interior accents on the Badlands I saw ($36k was the MSRP for the Badlands with 2.0t 4, pretty much matching a Trailhawk Compass except the Ford has way more power) it really ties everything together well, imo.

cool...I'll have to cruise by the local Ford store and see if they have any Bronco Sports the lot...

On 12/25/2020 at 7:11 AM, A Horse With No Name said:

This youtube channel is a fantastic source of information.

That was a good video, he made some great points about the two fuel sources of his saws (gas and e) and the benefits of both. Pretty good YT channel for sure.

I wonder how my Grandpa, who passed away years ago, would react to the electric chainsaws of today. He was a logger who ran a big Husqvarna with a 42" bar.

And now they make smart, connected, electric products like this bad boy.  https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/robotic-lawn-mowers/automower-awd/

• Agree 1

I just saw one of those Internet lists of the most "worthless" cars ever made and the AMC Pacer is on that list.  As for their ability to make you LAUGH, they are far from worthless.

This one is dressed up a little bit.  Look at that ... a hood ornament and body colored wheel covers.  It's sort of like "trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear."

1979_amc_pacer-pic-2202722965348602764-6

However, anyone who went to the car dealership and bought one of these had to have been a fairly colorful nonconformist.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I just saw one of those Internet lists of the most "worthless" cars ever made and the AMC Pacer is on that list.  As for their ability to make you LAUGH, they are far from worthless.

This one is dressed up a little bit.  Look at that ... a hood ornament and body colored wheel covers.  It's sort of like "trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear."

1979_amc_pacer-pic-2202722965348602764-6

However, anyone who went to the car dealership and bought one of these had to have been a fairly colorful nonconformist.

Those Pacers still had that inline 6cyl that are still essentially carried over into the Jeep Wranglers of today.  Too bad GM and Ford did not use an I6 to replace a lot of their big V8s back in the 1970s.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Those Pacers still had that inline 6cyl that are still essentially carried over into the Jeep Wranglers of today.  Too bad GM and Ford did not use an I6 to replace a lot of their big V8s back in the 1970s.

I was wondering how worthless they could be.  Maybe the list, and article, was referring to being "hit with the ugly stick," of which the Pontiac Aztek might be a more recent example.

I'm sure Pacers had a basic 232 c.i. (or thereabouts) I-6 and a 3 speed automatic.  All boring but durable gear.  I don't know if any systems such as electrical or suspension on them were lemon-y in reliability.  If not, they should have held up just fine.

Wife’s cousin gifted her a 1936 Colonial brand grandfather clock. Been here about 3 years, I think. It chimes beautifully, but only ever runs about 7 mins at a time. Hasn't been serviced in probably decades. Every once in a while I set it going to hear it chime a quarter hour.

RIght now, it's been running about 18 hours straight. 🤔

FF4FF731-1373-43CA-9B75-C9BE84904870.jpeg

Edited by balthazar
  • Haha 1

My perfectly reliable LG Terra took its last breath today.  One side of the hinge had been broken for a couple of months, today it fell out of my pocket while I was looking at a customer's car onto the parking lot, severing its spinal cord.  I've had it since August of 2015.  *moment of silence*

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

My perfectly reliable LG Terra took its last breath today.  One side of the hinge had been broken for a couple of months, today it fell out of my pocket while I was looking at a customer's car onto the parking lot, severing its spinal cord.  I've had it since August of 2015.  *moment of silence*

I wish I could give you two emoji's as it is sad your phone died, but your story telling made me laugh. Wishing you all the Best Blu as you get a new phone to start 2021 off with.

• Thanks 1

Well...I did not expect the Bruins to cut him like they did. Im not surprised by them not re-signing him. I am however surprised that they werent up front to him about it. At the end of last season, at the end of their playoff run, they should have been honest to him and the fans about their intentions.  They misled him and the fans by suggesting he will be back for another season...

All things said, I cant wait to see the C on Bergeron's jersey!  

He was a great captain. The Capitals should be able to use his calm, intimidating demeanor on the ice. 

I do hope Ovi breaks Gretzky's goal record.   Its going to be tough for him to do so. 2 lockouts, 2 shortened Covid seasons.  He would have had AT LEAST 55 goals this year instead of the 48 he got.  This year is a 52 game season?   Well...I hope he gets 50 goals in 50 games then!   Well...I hope he could get that in LESS than 50 games.  

Interesting year up ahead...  The Senators and Canadiens look (on paper) to have fortified their chances in going deep in the playoffs.    The Caps, despite getting Chara (awesome presence on the ice but BECAUSE they got Chara) and the goal scoring freak in Ovi, have gotten older. The NHL lately has become a young league.  Yeah...like you said, interesting to see those Bruins/Caps games!  

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Well...I did not expect the Bruins to cut him like they did. Im not surprised by them not re-signing him. I am however surprised that they werent up front to him about it. At the end of last season, at the end of their playoff run, they should have been honest to him and the fans about their intentions.  They misled him and the fans by suggesting he will be back for another season...

I mean he wasn't cut, like you said. He just wasn't re-signed. Would you have expected them to cut or trade him last year while under contract and having the best record in the NHL? They kept him for another Cup run, and they were on a great pace had COVID not slowed them down(like the Blues). 

22 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I mean he wasn't cut, like you said. He just wasn't re-signed. Would you have expected them to cut or trade him last year while under contract and having the best record in the NHL? They kept him for another Cup run, and they were on a great pace had COVID not slowed them down(like the Blues). 

Bad choice of words in the first part of the sentence I used.  I did say he wasnt re-signed later.

The thing is, his contract was up at the end of the 2019-2020 season.  All season long, the Bruins played coy with him as the upper management always hinted at the media that Chara would be coming back for 2020-2021.  

During the last couple of months, Chara stated that Bruins management kinda ghosted him when him and his agent wanted to talk about re-signing.  Kinda shytty if you ask me about a guy giving you 14 years of loyal, broken jaw performances WITH 3 Stanley Cup finals, 1 Stanley Cup that ended a 40 year drought.   

Id say that the Bruins management should have been a tad more classier in handling his situation both for him and for the fans.

He says "recently" the Boston Bruins have informed him...  

The season ended at the end of September.  That is 3 months of false hope for Chara and for the fans. 

Remember, the new season starts in less than a month. In 2 weeks to be exact...  The drafts and the trading for drafts happened 2 months ago...    Bruins management with Chara behaved like the Canadiens management with their superstars. (One reason why I am not a Canadiens fan...) 

His tweet:

Verified

My family and I have been so fortunate to call the great city of Boston our home for over 14 years. Recently, The Boston Bruins have informed me that they plan to move forward with their many younger and talented players and I respect their decision. Unfortunately, my time as the proud Captain of the Bruins has come to an end.

I want to first of all thank the passionate and loyal Bruins fans, who shared the ups and downs of each season over the past 14 years. I’m proud that we were able to return the Stanley Cup to Boston and celebrating with all of you, in Boston, New England, and around the world, was a moment I will never forget. You all have treated my family and me as one of your own and I will always be grateful. Thank you.  

I would also like to thank all of the Bruins staff. The trainers, equipment staff, medical staff (all doctors, dentists and therapists), PR and hockey operations, the front office staff, arena staff, security and everyone who helped make the past 14 years so memorable. While there are too many names to mention, please know how sincerely grateful I am to each of you.

I want to thank the Jacobs family for the opportunity to represent the Bruins as their Captain. I am grateful and proud of everything we accomplished.

To all of my teammates throughout the years in Boston, I am so lucky to have a lifetime of memories that I will never forget. From the highest highs to the lowest lows, we were always a team, we were always there for each other and those bonds and friendships will never be forgotten.

My family and I will always cherish the strong friendships and connections we made here. From the beginning in 2006, we have been embraced by this community and made to feel welcome. We will always be grateful for the opportunity to contribute to the community and for the people who always supported me and my family.

As I begin this next chapter, I want the people of Boston to know how proud I was to be a Bruin and how grateful I am for all of the support over the years. “Thank you” does not seem adequate to express my sincere gratitude. I will always be a Bruin. I will always love Boston.

Thank you.

Zee

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1