William Maley

Buick News: Buick Envision: To Import or Not Import?

If there is one vehicle that Buick dealers would like, it would be a model to slip between the subcompact Encore and full-size Enclave crossovers. Buick does have such a model, the compact Envision crossover which has been on sale in China since last year. In fact, some Buick dealers were polled about this very vehicle back in 2013. Two years on, many are scratching their heads as to why the Envision isn't here.

"It would fit perfectly in the Buick lineup at a time when crossover sales are growing fast. I'm sure a lot of Buick dealers wish they had it today," said Jack Nerad, executive market analyst at Kelley Blue Book.

Now many believe that the Envision will be coming to the U.S. sometime next year. According to Automotive News, it's likely that the Envision will be imported from China. This will likely be GM's first Chinese vehicle to be imported to the U.S.

But there are some complications to this. First, General Motors is in the middle of negotiating a new contract with the UAW. Union leaders would likely balk at the decision of importing a vehicle from China.

Buick is also trying to satisfy the growing demand for crossovers in China. In the first half of 2015, Buick has sold 57,413 Envisions. This puts sales of the Envision on track to over 100,000 units at the end of year. This could mean a limit of how many Envisions can be exported from the Shandong province plant in China.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article

Nice looking CUV that I think would sell well here for Buick and gain market share. GM needs to let the UAW build it here and not affect the China market.

Build it where the Captiva is/was built.  The UAW will still hate that, but at least it isn't built in China.

Was that Spring Hill?

if it looks like that turd, no, its not good enough to succeed here in a big way........

I hadn't been on here recently for a couple weeks because my dad passed away. Before that event, he had desired to get a Passat TDI.  He left instructions for mom to do as she wish but that they determined they would trade the DTS and S-10 and get one newer vehicle.  So I've been helping mom start to determine what SHE wants......she wants a crossover for ability to haul boxes and the taller seat height.

She loves the new Terrain my aunt has.  I showed her the Equinox, she likes that too.  (She didn't like the looks of the Encore although that would be PERFECT for her in her cramped condo parking garage.  I have no plans to show her a Captiva.

What I am finding out is for GM lifers there is not much of a path from the Terrain and Equinox to the SRX (which she probably can't afford).  Buick's volume is in the tank and they desperately need something to represent in the segment where imports are starting to dominate and where Edges and Escapes sell in bunches too.  A buick 2 row crossover that is Terrain or Edge sized would fill the gap rightly.  

BMW is going to go nuts unloading zillions of X1's...i know that may be smaller than the Terrain etc. but BMW will clean up in price points where something like this Buikc could jump in and be a needed godsend for all the Buick dealers.  It may even save the brand.

Buick can't live on just the extremes of the small Encore and the huge Enclave

Considering even GM is thinking of moving small cars to Mexico (sonic), they might build it here in MI.....

Buick needs a CUV in between the Encore and the Enclave....but not this Envision....I envision (cool pun, huh?) a CUV sporty with  European flair...not Chinese flair...

4737927042085142835.jpg

7553258564284646.jpg

These are of a future Opel SUV rendering I found....THIS is kinda the look that the North American Envision and Enclave should follow through with...a family of CUVs and SUVs that follow this form...

There is a tad of Buick Avenir in that...the article says that Opel's Monza concept is very inherent in that design...

http://www.worldcarfans.com/115031090283/future-opel-flagship-suv-rendered

What I read on the other GM forum was that the new Opel CUV (NG Opel Antara) was supposed to be the "Opel-ified" Envision, but it was apparently cancelled and sent back to the drawing board... I don't know if that means the US will skip this generation of the Envision, or if it will be imported from China just to add a few sales and have a presence in the segment until a NG appears...

Very bland looking thing, hopefully something better is in store than that for NA.. Encores can get up there in price so to price out higher than that, it needs to have some "flair" as others mentioned.

• Upvote 1

I will not support a Chinese imported Buick.

+1

Haha, dude you realize there's an actual +1 button on these forums..?

YES! but I wanted to put emphasis and let you know IIIII did that.  lol

• Upvote 2

+1

Yeah but you still didn't click the button! MY REPUTATION IS AT STAKE.

+1

Yeah but you still didn't click the button! MY REPUTATION IS AT STAKE.

Hahaha Wow, I really thought I had already done then and then I was like, fk it. I want to add the "+1" to put emphasis.. and completely forgot about the actual click! :banghead:

Olds 442 has posted a sweet render.  It even has a sweepspear.  All it needs is a proper waterfall grille and some ventiports and it would be a winner here in the states.  The Chinese Envision is absolute milquetoast... somehow off in a hard-to-pin-down way.  Like a Chinese knock-off of a Buick.

Olds 442 has posted a sweet render.  It even has a sweepspear.  All it needs is a proper waterfall grille and some ventiports and it would be a winner here in the states.  The Chinese Envision is absolute milquetoast... somehow off in a hard-to-pin-down way.  Like a Chinese knock-off of a Buick.

Ive always liked the interior of the Chinese Envision, but the exterior looked like just another Vue-ick.   I see lots of Captiva in it. 

Ive always liked the interior of the Chinese Envision, but the exterior looked like just another Vue-ick.   I see lots of Captiva in it. 

Thanx BLU for the credit...

Ive seen interior pictures of the Chinese Envision and I too, think its a snazzy interior.

One thing I like about Chinese Buicks...is that the interiors are nicely done.

Bad news. Saw this local newspaper this morning print edition and its online. The bad PR is already cemented

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0QN21E20150818

X2. We need the envision to ditch echoes of VUE / captiva

Buick, the absolute bedrock genesis of General Motors, the iconic number one US automaker forever... sending the lion's share of production overseas.  Enough to make one puke.

Buick, the absolute bedrock genesis of General Motors, the iconic number one US automaker forever... sending the lion's share of production overseas.  Enough to make one puke.

To be fair...

Buick sales in Asia are @  about 1 000 000 units...combine Opel sales of the cars that Buick sells States side and that figure surpasses 1 000 000...by at least another 200 000.

Buick sales States Side....220 000 units....that would be 1 000 000 units that GM sells more OUTSIDE the US for those very same Buicks...

Let us not forget...that Oldsmobile also sold 1 000 000 units at one point in time...

What does that mean?

I dont know...alls I know...Buicks that are sold in America are Chinese based and German based cars....in which the world is gobbling them up at Oldsmobile breaking records...Its good that Buick has moved the emotion meter States Side...but Buick needs more emotion from the domestic buying public if it wants Buick to be continued to be sold here...because we all know what happened to that other once great American nameplate from GM's umbrella that also sold 1 million units...

First you need to consider that GM is going into talks with UAW and CAW. What better leverage for Ingersoll or Oshawa than a Buick SUV. Word is the Terrain is moving to Springhill last I heard so that would open a slot.

As for the other Buicks like the Regal I would not be surprised if it is used as leverage or even moved to Germany as it originally was produced there. Opel could use the plant volume and the price point would permit it to be done.

I believe there is much more to this than what we are being told. All the Automakers are holding their cards to make deals here soon and new products are the Trump cards. {not the Don}

If they bring a SUV in from China like this the volume would be very small. I also do not think the profits from there would be all that great either. Lets face it GM does not own all the company in China and would have to share revenue. In Korea they own it all but not China. What is it 46%?

Edited by hyperv6

I think the only way a Chinese built car (and especially a Chinese branded car) sells in the USA is if it is dirt cheap.  a made in China car is a tough sell. 

First you need to consider that GM is going into talks with UAW and CAW. What better leverage for Ingersoll or Oshawa than a Buick SUV. Word is the Terrain is moving to Springhill last I heard so that would open a slot.

As for the other Buicks like the Regal I would not be surprised if it is used as leverage or even moved to Germany as it originally was produced there. Opel could use the plant volume and the price point would permit it to be done.

I believe there is much more to this than what we are being told. All the Automakers are holding their cards to make deals here soon and new products are the Trump cards. {not the Don}

If they bring a SUV in from China like this the volume would be very small. I also do not think the profits from there would be all that great either. Lets face it GM does not own all the company in China and would have to share revenue. In Korea they own it all but not China. What is it 46%?

I understand there are plenty of spots of Oshawa now.

I see most of the pearl clutching is over Buicks being built in China, but I think the biggest advantage to GM is building them in Europe.  They already have 30% to 40% excess capacity in their EU factories, so what better way to fill them than with a premium product that is relatively low volume.  Building Regals in Russelsheim would be a rounding error for that plant (it used to produce Astras).

Apparently the SRX is moving from Mexico to Springhill along with an unnamed GMC mid-size crossover.    Unless there are other products going in to the Mexico plant, I can see the Envision being built there and GM just (Le)sabre rattleing China at the UAW.

I think the only way a Chinese built car (and especially a Chinese branded car) sells in the USA is if it is dirt cheap.  a made in China car is a tough sell. 

How many people really know where their car is built?   Most german SUV buyers think their car was built in Germany without question.  I can just hear the gasps of denial if they were told their "Ultimate Driving Machine" or their "Best or Nothing" was built in North Carolina or Alabama respectively. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 44 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Ford has been banking on China to help revive sales of Lincoln and made plans to start building models in late 2019. But the on-going trade war between the U.S. and China has caused the company to reconsider their plans.
      “What we want to do is accelerate that. We will look for opportunities, but it’s a big undertaking and I think it won’t be a significant change in our plans,” said Joy Falotico, head of Lincoln and Ford’s chief marketing officer to Bloomberg.
      Currently, Lincoln doesn't have any local production in China. Instead, the brand has been importing vehicles from the U.S. which has meant getting hit with a 40 percent tariff by the Chinese government. This has caused sales of Lincoln vehicles to slow to a crawl. Last year, Lincoln sales rose 66 percent in China. But in October, sales are up just 3 percent.
      Ford is trying to move the timing of Lincoln production to sometime before late 2019. According to Falotico, moving the timing slightly would be a big help. The first model that would be part of this plan is the recently introduced Aviator.
      Also under consideration is Lincoln plans to export some Chinese-built models to the U.S. Falotico said the brand would likely build the same models in both countries.
      Source: Bloomberg (Subscription Required)

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Ford has been banking on China to help revive sales of Lincoln and made plans to start building models in late 2019. But the on-going trade war between the U.S. and China has caused the company to reconsider their plans.
      “What we want to do is accelerate that. We will look for opportunities, but it’s a big undertaking and I think it won’t be a significant change in our plans,” said Joy Falotico, head of Lincoln and Ford’s chief marketing officer to Bloomberg.
      Currently, Lincoln doesn't have any local production in China. Instead, the brand has been importing vehicles from the U.S. which has meant getting hit with a 40 percent tariff by the Chinese government. This has caused sales of Lincoln vehicles to slow to a crawl. Last year, Lincoln sales rose 66 percent in China. But in October, sales are up just 3 percent.
      Ford is trying to move the timing of Lincoln production to sometime before late 2019. According to Falotico, moving the timing slightly would be a big help. The first model that would be part of this plan is the recently introduced Aviator.
      Also under consideration is Lincoln plans to export some Chinese-built models to the U.S. Falotico said the brand would likely build the same models in both countries.
      Source: Bloomberg (Subscription Required)
    • By William Maley
      Opel is undergoing a major product overhaul as it begins to transition over from General Motors architectures to PSA Group. Some products will not make the change, however.
      Yesterday, Opel announced that the Adam city car, Cascada convertible, and the KARL city car will end production at the end of 2019. The company blames new emission rules for the canceling of these models, but some suspect the low-margin on these vehicles is what ultimately led to their demise.
      "In order to contribute to the CO2 compliance and to focus on high volume segments, the Opel ADAM, KARL and Cascada will not be replaced after the end of their life cycles, but will remain on sale until the end of 2019," the company said in a statement.
      This announcement has some wondering about the future of Buick's Cascada. A spokesman for the brand told Automotive News that Buick "not confirming anything at this point" regarding the brand's plans for the Cascada. Although, AN's Future Product Pipeline reports that the Buick version could be discontinued sooner than later.
      On the flipside, Opel will be launching eight all-new or refreshed vehicles beginning early next year. This will include a new Corsa subcompact and replacement for the Mokka X (what we know as the Buick Encore).
      Source: Reuters, Automotive News (Subscription Required), Opel

Opel to Launch Eight All-New or Refreshed Models by 2020
      Stronger customer orientation and dealer performance Focus on high volume and high growth segments with three key launches by 2020: all-new Corsa, Vivaro and Mokka X successor Ensure CO2 compliance with state-of-the-art technology: four electrified vehicles by end of 2020; 100 percent electrification by 2024; further improved combustion engines Rüsselsheim.  Opel is continuing to execute the PACE! plan product offensive to meet customer needs and ensure compliance with the drastic Europe-wide CO2 guidelines which become effective in 2020. The future portfolio will ensure a sustainable, successful future for both the company and its dealer network. From early 2019 to the end of 2020, the company will launch eight all-new or refreshed models, investing primarily in high-volume and profitable segments. By then, Opel will be offering one of the newest portfolios of all volume manufacturers.
      With its PACE! plan, Opel has clearly committed to bringing at least one all-new model onto the market every year. In 2019 alone, Opel will launch the new generation of the bestselling Corsa and the successor to the successful Vivaro as LCV and passenger car variants. Additional variants and equipment versions of the Combo will also be on sale, thus significantly renewing the LCV portfolio. The successor to the hugely popular Opel Mokka X will follow in 2020 and will play a pivotal role for the strategy to expand the proportion of the company’s SUV sales from 25 to 40 percent by 2021.
      “Opel goes electric” was one of the commitments made by the company in November 2017 as part of its PACE! plan. Order books for both the all-electric new five-seater Corsa and the Grandland X PHEV which will be produced in Eisenach will be open by the summer of 2019. By the end of 2020, Opel will have a total of four electrified models on offer, providing a lot of driving pleasure and transforming e-car demand from niche to volume. By 2024, there will be an electrified version of every Opel model. Opel will make highly interesting offers, both technically and economically, and will democratise electro-mobility while further improving its combustion engines.
      In order to contribute to the CO2 compliance and to focus on high volume segments, the Opel ADAM, KARL and Cascada will not be replaced after the end of their life cycles, but will remain on sale until the end of 2019. With the new portfolio, Opel will continue to cover around 80 percent of the mainstream market volume in 2020 – with significantly higher efficiency and customer-orientation while simultaneously reducing complexity.
      “In a context of drastic CO2 norms, it’s our responsibility to shape a sustainable future for our company and our dealers with a highly competitive portfolio for passenger and light commercial vehicles. Opel will offer fun to drive and emotionally designed models including highly competitive light commercial vehicles such as the new Combo and Vivaro. The customers will benefit from the broad introduction of innovative technologies and affordable electrification,” said Opel CEO Michael Lohscheller. “The most recent awards – like the IVOTY 2019 for our Combo – demonstrate that we are on the right path.”
      The German manufacturer with almost 120 years of automotive tradition is leveraging Groupe PSA platforms and innovative propulsion technologies for all new models. Opel has impressively demonstrated its efficiency this year: the entire portfolio was and is fully available from dealers in time for the transition to the new Worldwide Harmonized Light Vehicles Test Procedure standard (WLTP). Moreover, Opel is already fully ready for the new Euro 6d-TEMP emissions standard and offers 127 passenger car models that meet the requirements which will come into effect for all new registrations in September 2019. “Our commitment to Euro 6d-TEMP is part of our strategy to become a leader in the reduction of vehicle emissions and a key pillar of our customer-centric approach. Whoever buys a new Opel now must not fear a city driving ban from today’s perspective,” said Lohscheller.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Opel is undergoing a major product overhaul as it begins to transition over from General Motors architectures to PSA Group. Some products will not make the change, however.
      Yesterday, Opel announced that the Adam city car, Cascada convertible, and the KARL city car will end production at the end of 2019. The company blames new emission rules for the canceling of these models, but some suspect the low-margin on these vehicles is what ultimately led to their demise.
      "In order to contribute to the CO2 compliance and to focus on high volume segments, the Opel ADAM, KARL and Cascada will not be replaced after the end of their life cycles, but will remain on sale until the end of 2019," the company said in a statement.
      This announcement has some wondering about the future of Buick's Cascada. A spokesman for the brand told Automotive News that Buick "not confirming anything at this point" regarding the brand's plans for the Cascada. Although, AN's Future Product Pipeline reports that the Buick version could be discontinued sooner than later.
      On the flipside, Opel will be launching eight all-new or refreshed vehicles beginning early next year. This will include a new Corsa subcompact and replacement for the Mokka X (what we know as the Buick Encore).
      Source: Reuters, Automotive News (Subscription Required), Opel

Opel to Launch Eight All-New or Refreshed Models by 2020
      Stronger customer orientation and dealer performance Focus on high volume and high growth segments with three key launches by 2020: all-new Corsa, Vivaro and Mokka X successor Ensure CO2 compliance with state-of-the-art technology: four electrified vehicles by end of 2020; 100 percent electrification by 2024; further improved combustion engines Rüsselsheim.  Opel is continuing to execute the PACE! plan product offensive to meet customer needs and ensure compliance with the drastic Europe-wide CO2 guidelines which become effective in 2020. The future portfolio will ensure a sustainable, successful future for both the company and its dealer network. From early 2019 to the end of 2020, the company will launch eight all-new or refreshed models, investing primarily in high-volume and profitable segments. By then, Opel will be offering one of the newest portfolios of all volume manufacturers.
      With its PACE! plan, Opel has clearly committed to bringing at least one all-new model onto the market every year. In 2019 alone, Opel will launch the new generation of the bestselling Corsa and the successor to the successful Vivaro as LCV and passenger car variants. Additional variants and equipment versions of the Combo will also be on sale, thus significantly renewing the LCV portfolio. The successor to the hugely popular Opel Mokka X will follow in 2020 and will play a pivotal role for the strategy to expand the proportion of the company’s SUV sales from 25 to 40 percent by 2021.
      “Opel goes electric” was one of the commitments made by the company in November 2017 as part of its PACE! plan. Order books for both the all-electric new five-seater Corsa and the Grandland X PHEV which will be produced in Eisenach will be open by the summer of 2019. By the end of 2020, Opel will have a total of four electrified models on offer, providing a lot of driving pleasure and transforming e-car demand from niche to volume. By 2024, there will be an electrified version of every Opel model. Opel will make highly interesting offers, both technically and economically, and will democratise electro-mobility while further improving its combustion engines.
      In order to contribute to the CO2 compliance and to focus on high volume segments, the Opel ADAM, KARL and Cascada will not be replaced after the end of their life cycles, but will remain on sale until the end of 2019. With the new portfolio, Opel will continue to cover around 80 percent of the mainstream market volume in 2020 – with significantly higher efficiency and customer-orientation while simultaneously reducing complexity.
      “In a context of drastic CO2 norms, it’s our responsibility to shape a sustainable future for our company and our dealers with a highly competitive portfolio for passenger and light commercial vehicles. Opel will offer fun to drive and emotionally designed models including highly competitive light commercial vehicles such as the new Combo and Vivaro. The customers will benefit from the broad introduction of innovative technologies and affordable electrification,” said Opel CEO Michael Lohscheller. “The most recent awards – like the IVOTY 2019 for our Combo – demonstrate that we are on the right path.”
      The German manufacturer with almost 120 years of automotive tradition is leveraging Groupe PSA platforms and innovative propulsion technologies for all new models. Opel has impressively demonstrated its efficiency this year: the entire portfolio was and is fully available from dealers in time for the transition to the new Worldwide Harmonized Light Vehicles Test Procedure standard (WLTP). Moreover, Opel is already fully ready for the new Euro 6d-TEMP emissions standard and offers 127 passenger car models that meet the requirements which will come into effect for all new registrations in September 2019. “Our commitment to Euro 6d-TEMP is part of our strategy to become a leader in the reduction of vehicle emissions and a key pillar of our customer-centric approach. Whoever buys a new Opel now must not fear a city driving ban from today’s perspective,” said Lohscheller.
    • By William Maley
      A few weeks ago, I wrote a comparison test between the 2018 Mazda CX-9 and Volkswagen Atlas. It was a close fight, but the Atlas ended up being the victor as it proved to be the better all-around three-row crossover. I find myself comparing these two brands once again, this time with their compact crossovers. Like their larger brethren, the two models take different approaches. The Mazda CX-5 goes for something that provides a premium feel and exciting drive, while the Volkswagen Tiguan uses space and comfort as its guide. Which one of these crossovers  Which one of these crossovers is right for you?
      Exterior
      Mazda’s design team believed evolution would be the right approach for the second-generation CX-5’s design and we have to agree. Taking the first-generation model, designers added more curves to the body, widened the front grille, and angled the front LED headlights. In what is becoming a very crowded class, the CX-5 stands tall, especially when wearing the optional Soul Red paint.
      Like the Atlas, the Volkswagen Tiguan’s shape can be explained as  “looking like a bit of a square, but a posh square.” Little details such as the three-bar grille, LED daytime-running lights, and slightly bulging fenders help give the Tiguan a touch of class. The optional Habanero Orange Metallic paint color on my test vehicle does show Volkswagen is willing to step outside of its comfort zone. In terms of dimensions, the Tiguan is six inches longer in overall length and rides on a wheelbase that is 3.6-inches longer than the CX-5. 
      Interior
      The Tiguan’s interior follows Volkswagen’s ethos of keeping it functional in terms of the design. It features simple dash and design touches such as a silver finish for various trim pieces. Volkswagen does make up for the boring design with an excellent layout of controls. For example, the climate control system is slightly angled upward to not only make it easier to reach, but also make it less of a hassle to look down and see the current settings. Material quality is average for this type of vehicle with a mix of hard and soft plastics.
      The front seats in the Tiguan SE offer a power recline and manual adjustments for fore/aft and height. I really liked the seats in the Tiguan as they provided excellent comfort and firmness for any trip distance. But the Tiguan really surprises in the back seat with head and legroom similar to what you’ll find on a full-size SUV. Passengers sitting back here can also move the seats back and forth, and recline to make themselves more comfortable. The long length of the Tiguan allows for a third-row seat. The seat is standard on front-wheel drive models and optional for all-wheel drive variants. The third-row should only be used for small kids as there is a minuscule amount of legroom. Another downside to the third-row is cargo space. The third-row causes a significant reduction in cargo space. With the third-row folded, it offers 4.6 cubic feet less than the two-row variant (33 vs. 37.6). Fold the second-row and the reduction becomes larger - 7.8 cubic feet. I would recommend skipping the third-row option if you opt for an AWD Tiguan.
      Like the exterior, the CX-5’s interior stands out. The dash shows Mazda’s effort on trying to make their interiors feel more like a luxury vehicle with sculpted contours, brushed aluminum, soft-touch plastics with a grain texture, and stitching on certain trim pieces. Compared to the Tiguan, the CX-5’s control layout is more spread out, making it somewhat difficult to find and reach certain controls. 
      The Grand Touring tester featured power adjustments for both front seats. The seats will feel a bit too firm for some passengers, but I found them to be just right. It would have been awesome if Mazda provided ventilation for the front seats to bolster their premium ambitions. The CX-5’s back seat offers a decent amount of headroom for those under six-feet. Legroom is somewhat lacking when put against the competition. I found that my knees were almost touching the back side of the front seat. Cargo space is right in the middle with 30.9 cubic feet with the rear seats up and 59.6 when folded.
      Infotainment
      A seven-inch touchscreen featuring the Mazda Connect infotainment system and a rotary knob controller is standard on all CX-5s. Grand Touring models get navigation as standard, while the Touring gets it as an option. Mazda Connect is a mixed bag. The interface is beginning to look somewhat old due to the use of dark colors and a dull screen. Also, trying to figure out which parts of the system are touch-enabled becomes quite tedious as there is no way to tell except through trial and error. There is no Apple CarPlay or Android Auto compatibility, but I’m hoping the 2019 model will get it.
      For the Tiguan, Volkswagen offers three different infotainment systems ranging from 6.5 to 8-inches. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility come standard. The current Volkswagen infotainment system is one of the best thanks in part to snappy performance and a simple interface. You can do various smartphone gestures such as swiping to move around the system. One disappointment is the lack of any sort of haptic feedback when touching any of the shortcut buttons sitting on either side of the screen. We would also recommend keeping a cloth in the Tiguan as the glass surface for the infotainment system becomes littered with fingerprints.
      Like in the Atlas I reviewed a few weeks ago, the Tiguan experienced an issue with Apple CarPlay. Applications such as Google Music or Spotify running in CarPlay would freeze up. I could exit out to the CarPlay interface, but was unable to unfreeze the applications unless I restarted the vehicle. Resetting my iPhone solved this issue.
      Powertrain
      Under the CX-5’s hood is a 2.5L four-cylinder producing 187 horsepower and 186 pound-feet (up one from the 2017 model). Mazda has added cylinder deactivation for the 2018 model that allows the engine to run on just two cylinders to improve fuel efficiency. This is paired with a six-speed automatic and all-wheel drive. For the Tiguan, Volkswagen has dropped in a turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder engine producing 184 horsepower and 221 pound-feet of torque. An eight-speed automatic and all-wheel drive complete the package.
      With a higher torque figure and being available between 1,600 to 4,300 rpm, the Tiguan should leave the CX-5 in the dust. But at the stoplight drag race, the CX-5 bests the Tiguan thanks to a sharper throttle response and a steady stream of power. The Tiguan’s turbo-four gets hit with a double-whammy of turbo-lag and a somewhat confused eight-speed automatic transmission, making it feel anything but eager to get off the line. As speeds climb, the story changes. The Tiguan’s engine feels more willing to get moving whenever you need to make a pass or merge onto a freeway. The CX-5’s engine runs out of steam and you’ll need to really work it to get up to speed at a decent rate.
      Fuel Economy
      The EPA says the 2018 Mazda CX-5 AWD will return 24 City/30 Highway/26 Combined, while the 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan AWD returns 21 City/27 Highway/23 Combined. Both models returned high fuel economy averages; the CX-5 return 28.5 while the Tiguan got 27.3 mpg during my week-long test. Both models were driven on mix of 60 percent city and 40 percent highway.
      Ride & Handling
      When I reviewed the 2017 Mazda CX-5, I said that it carried on the mantle of being a fun-to-drive crossover set by the first-generation. Driving on some of the back roads around Detroit, the CX-5 felt very agile and showed little body roll. The steering provides sharp responses and excellent weighting. The sporting edge does mean a firm ride, allowing some road imperfections to come inside. Not much road or wind noise comes inside.
      Volkswagen took a different approach with the Tiguan’s ride and handling characteristics. On rough roads, the Tiguan provides a very cushioned ride on some of the roughest payment. This soft ride does hurt the Tiguan when cornering as there is slightly more body roll. But that doesn’t make the Tiguan a bad driving crossover. The chassis feels very willing when pushed and the steering provides a direct feel.
      Value
      The 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SE AWD begins at $30,230. This particular tester came to $31,575 with the optional Habanero Orange Metallic and fog lights. But the 2018 Mazda CX-5 Touring comes with more equipment such as radar cruise control, lane departure warning, 19-inch wheels, LED headlights, and power adjustments for the driver for only $2,175 less than the Tiguan SE’s base price. You can add navigation, Bose audio system, and sunroof as part of $1,200 Preferred Equipment package. When it comes to the midlevel, it is no contest as the CX-5 walks away.
      The script flips however when you put the 2018 CX-5 Grand Touring under the microscope. The AWD version begins at $30,945 and with a few options such as the Soul Red paint and Premium package, the vehicle seen here comes to $34,685. But you can get into the Tiguan SEL AWD that adds adaptive cruise control, power liftgate, and navigation for only $2,295 less than our as-tested CX-5. While the CX-5 does offer more of a premium interior, the larger interior and slightly better infotainment system give the Tiguan a slight edge.
      Verdict
      It feels weird to describe the verdict between the two compact crossovers as a decision to satisfy your desires or needs. The 2018 Mazda CX-5 falls into the former as it boasts a handsome look that very few models can match, luxurious interior, and handling characteristics that make you feel like you’re driving a sports car. As for the Tiguan, it falls in the latter camp by offering a spacious interior, smooth ride, and a better infotainment system. I consider these two to be the best-in-class. But deciding which one is better will ultimately come down to deciding whether to give into your wants or needs.
      Disclaimer: Mazda and Volkswagen Provided the vehicles, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2018
      Make: Mazda
      Model: CX-5
      Trim: Grand Touring AWD
      Engine: 2.5L DOHC 16-Valve Inline-Four
      Driveline: Six-Speed Automatic, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 187 @ 6,000
      Torque @ RPM: 186 @4,000
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 24/30/26
      Curb Weight: N/A
      Location of Manufacture: Hiroshima, Japan
      Base Price: $30,945
      As Tested Price: $34,685 (Includes $975.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Premium Package - $1,395.00
      Soul Red Crystal Paint - $595.00
      Illuminated Door Sill Plates - $400.00
      Retractable Cover Cover - $250.00
      Rear Bumper Guard - $125.00
      Year: 2018
      Make: Volkswagen
      Model: Tiguan
      Trim: SE 4Motion
      Engine: 2.0L Turbocharged 16-Valve DOHC TSI Four-Cylinder
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 184 @ 4,400
      Torque @ RPM: 221 @ 1,600
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 21/27/23
      Curb Weight: 3,858 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Puebla, Mexico
      Base Price: $30,230
      As Tested Price: $31,575 (Includes $900.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Habanero Orange Metallic - $295.00
      Front Fog Lights - $150.00

View full article
  • My Clubs