Chinese-Built Buick Envision Packs Bags For The US

buick-envision-china-to-usa-8.jpg

After confirming that the Buick Envision is set to arrive in the US and be sold as a 2016 model, GM has started shipping the cars from China, which is where they also happen to be built.

A recent report suggested that initially, somewhere between 30,000 and 40,000 units were to be shipped over, which means these pictures probably represent a small part of that initial batch, heading out from the Yantai Port in Shandong Province.

The Envision will be sold across North America (US, Canada and Mexico), which are obviously the continent's three largest markets.

Also, we know these cars are heading for the US because we can clearly see their orange indicators. Once there, customers will be able to enjoy the 2.0-liter turbocharged engine (only one available), good for 252 HP and 352 Nm (260 lb-ft) of torque - seen as how this isn't a full-size SUV, this type of engine should suffice.

CARSCOOPS

the production of this vehicle in China vs the U.S. really comes down to reception and the already in mix factories with projected reception of other products in the pipe-line. The Envision's projected INITIAL sales would certainly influence whether it makes sense to produce in an overseas location of get tooling up and ready for a U.S. one. Also keep in mind that Cadillac is getting ready to add a few CUVs of its own in about a year. 

Trade aside.. this could have more to do with available capacity in line with projected numbers than anything else. At the end of the day.. it could actually become more expensive to bring it here from overseas for various reasons

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that the certain factories were closed or consolidated 5 years ago.. sales are technically booming for GM.. heck Detroit-Hamtramck just added a shift about 1 month ago to the tune of 1200 jobs

I think I've asked this before but this is more along the size of the Nox/Terrain/Escape/CR-V/etc. , right? 250hp/260tq sounds very stout if that's the case. 

Well you quoted at least two different sizes there. It looks to be slightly shorter than the current Nox/Terrain.   Terrain is 185", Envision is 183", CR-V is 179".  Envision is the same width as the Terrain. 

It looks like the AWD in the Envision is using the same twin-clutch setup as the new Lacrosse, meaning the AWD performance in snow should be excellent as should fuel economy. 

I think I've asked this before but this is more along the size of the Nox/Terrain/Escape/CR-V/etc. , right? 250hp/260tq sounds very stout if that's the case. 

Well you quoted at least two different sizes there. It looks to be slightly shorter than the current Nox/Terrain.   Terrain is 185", Envision is 183", CR-V is 179".  Envision is the same width as the Terrain. 

It looks like the AWD in the Envision is using the same twin-clutch setup as the new Lacrosse, meaning the AWD performance in snow should be excellent as should fuel economy. 

Okay, so it will basically still be in the same class as the rest of that group even if it is marginally longer. I had to "google" but my Escape is apparently 178".  So it actually perfectly splits the Edge(188") and Escape(178") at 183". Interesting. I like that size range. I feel comfortable in vehicles that size. Get much larger and I don't feel comfortable in tight areas. Give me a more upscale small CUV with similar power as I have right now and me likey. 

Well the size here went down a little as there will be another model between this and the Lambda models at Chevy and other possibly.

Note too they also will cut weight like they have in other models and the interior is packages to be about the same as the larger models have today. In other words more usable interior.

the production of this vehicle in China vs the U.S. really comes down to reception and the already in mix factories with projected reception of other products in the pipe-line. The Envision's projected INITIAL sales would certainly influence whether it makes sense to produce in an overseas location of get tooling up and ready for a U.S. one. Also keep in mind that Cadillac is getting ready to add a few CUVs of its own in about a year. 

Trade aside.. this could have more to do with available capacity in line with projected numbers than anything else. At the end of the day.. it could actually become more expensive to bring it here from overseas for various reasons

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that the certain factories were closed or consolidated 5 years ago.. sales are technically booming for GM.. heck Detroit-Hamtramck just added a shift about 1 month ago to the tune of 1200 jobs

I expect things could change if sales take off. But keep in mind the other models are also here and GMC only sells 80K+ vs. the Nox at 260,000 units.

They are pretty real about the Buick numbers unless they get surprised. Also if they have to add production I am not sure if China could support exporting more as their sales have been high. It may force them to move it here is demand warrants.

The Terrain justifies itself by selling over 25% as Denali trimmed models. The profit per unit on those must be obscene.   If the Envision follows the rest of the Buick lineup trend of selling 60% trimmed at the upper end of the spectrum, they can get away with volumes in the 40k to 50k range, but even 30k a year would be profitable most likely. 

Buick was completely surprised by the popularity of the Encore. Initial projections for Encore were in the 35k - 40k per year range.  They sold 31k in the 2013 first year which was a half year, they sold 45.7k in 2014, and they've sold 61k in the 11 months of 2015.  The Mokka sells so well that GM was looking at spinning up production of that car in Europe (Spain I think) rather than Korea. 

It really depends on how well the Envision takes off.  I expect it will far exceed expectations like the Encore did because it is in a sweet spot for size.  We love our Encore for example, but 2.5 years in, we are aware that we might have downsized a little bit too far.  Our CR-V is perfect sized, so since the Envision is about the same, I expect it will be the new Goldilocks in the segment. 

I expect things could change if sales take off. But keep in mind the other models are also here and GMC only sells 80K+ vs. the Nox at 260,000 units.

They are pretty real about the Buick numbers unless they get surprised. Also if they have to add production I am not sure if China could support exporting more as their sales have been high. It may force them to move it here is demand warrants.

Last year Terrain sold 94K and for 2015 will likely hit 111K.. , Nox was at 220K last year and is likely gonna hit 276K for 2015.. likely a bump of those sales for the Equinox came from the death of the Captiva.. which will be back, possibly a donation from the current Nox. Think "Equinox Classic"

The Terrain justifies itself by selling over 25% as Denali trimmed models. The profit per unit on those must be obscene.   If the Envision follows the rest of the Buick lineup trend of selling 60% trimmed at the upper end of the spectrum, they can get away with volumes in the 40k to 50k range, but even 30k a year would be profitable most likely. 

Buick was completely surprised by the popularity of the Encore. Initial projections for Encore were in the 35k - 40k per year range.  They sold 31k in the 2013 first year which was a half year, they sold 45.7k in 2014, and they've sold 61k in the 11 months of 2015.  The Mokka sells so well that GM was looking at spinning up production of that car in Europe (Spain I think) rather than Korea. 

It really depends on how well the Envision takes off.  I expect it will far exceed expectations like the Encore did because it is in a sweet spot for size.  We love our Encore for example, but 2.5 years in, we are aware that we might have downsized a little bit too far.  Our CR-V is perfect sized, so since the Envision is about the same, I expect it will be the new Goldilocks in the segment. 

After being in the Ex's Encore.. I think a case could have been made for even Cadillac to get a version to compete against the BMW X1 FWD based vehicle. I've driven an X1.. let me tell U.. the Encore.. no. the Trax.. is more than a match for it. No just kidding on the Trax, but  the Encore in full trim is tho. GM.. thro some wider tires on that lil mofo.. Turbo 2.0L, add newest A&S, Cadillac Crest.. and aaaaaaaaaaaaaawaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy we go.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

'Chinese built' huh.

Well, GM could certainly use the CUV product.

That reminds me, I have to return that 'Chinese built' chandelier I got from Amazon.

Complete and total piece of crap that looked pretty good in pictures and had a decent price.

Reminder to self: Check manufacturing origins for anything I buy online.

Edited by Wings4Life

After being in the Ex's Encore.. I think a case could have been made for even Cadillac to get a version to compete against the BMW X1 FWD based vehicle. I've driven an X1.. let me tell U.. the Encore.. no. the Trax.. is more than a match for it. No just kidding on the Trax, but  the Encore in full trim is tho. GM.. thro some wider tires on that lil mofo.. Turbo 2.0L, add newest A&S, Cadillac Crest.. and aaaaaaaaaaaaaawaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy we go.

I'm surprised that isn't a thing already actually. Maybe they just didn't want too many low hanging fruit before solidifying the top of the line up first. But, a little 2.0T putting out even 220hp would be a blast but you know it wouldn't be the 2.0T from their stable.. it'd be something more economical maybe turned up a little. 

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Good lord, I bet 70% of everything you own is built in China. Including the device you used to post that. 

Hardly 70%.

Certainly nothing that costs so much.

Envision does hit the size target.  The whole Denali phenomenon is bizarre to me.  But they can pull it off so that's ok.  I think part of the Denali thing is serving a market that is going under served by cadillac.

I've already asked a while ago.  The 2.0T is physically too large to fit in the Gamma cars... so unfortunately, you can hang that idea up. The best we can hope for is the 1.6T (200hp / 200 lb-ft over a broad RPM range) from the Buick Cascada.  But in a Cadillac with the same gearing the 6-speed auto has now, or the new 9-speed when its finished, would give such a small vehicle a lot of spank. 

Last year Terrain sold 94K and for 2015 will likely hit 111K.. , Nox was at 220K last year and is likely gonna hit 276K for 2015.. likely a bump of those sales for the Equinox came from the death of the Captiva.. which will be back, possibly a donation from the current Nox. Think "Equinox Classic"

My numbers were approx. and not far off.

But the key here is how many sales will the Buick take from GMC? Form Chevy? How will it be different enough to attract people away from other brands and not steal them in house?

The Denali is pretty much on the same terms. Is the GMC going to a longer wheel base the Buick is not on? We still have questions to be answered here. I know GM has been getting into bad habits rebadging the Gamma Trax and Encore. While the interiors are much different the outside is still dangerously close.

The Denali thing is nuts. In most models it really offers nothing but some cheap chrome and plastic wood and they jack the price way up over the SLT that is just the same mechanically.

Now that is not to say I am all for GMC doing this as it is just profit on profit here.

Now for me to buy a Denali I would have to see some real hardware like a better AWD system, Bigger engines or more power etc. We had just bought out Terrain and then I heard about the Denali. I was regretful till I saw what you got and how much more it was. I have no regrets today not waiting.

No the 2.0 will not fit that was established around the time the Buick appeared.

The Old Nox will go into classic mode for a while. Fleet sales only. That was mostly what the refresh was all about.

I think the plan is for the Equinox to become this size and Chevy will get a Trailer blazer or something mid-size.   The Terrain will be the XT5 size so bigger than Envision.  That would keep overlap down on the GMC-Buick lots, with only Acadia and Enclave over lapping.  I also think that most crossover buyers could care less where it comes form, as long as they sit up high, have all wheel drive and a nav screen with some apps they will be happy.

Good lord, I bet 70% of everything you own is built in China. Including the device you used to post that. 

Isn't the Fiesta made in China?

It is, but not for US consumption.   Spain, Germany, Mexico, China, India, Brazil... and more.   The U.S. bound ones are made in Mexico. 

Terrible PR and a stupid move, IMO.

I hope Barra gets canned and GM goes out and finds a real CEO

It's just a temp move most likely.  But it makes a lot of business sense to do it this way when there isn't currently a line in the US to build them on.  GM sells 4 times as many Buicks in China as they do in the US.... including a good bunch of Enclaves that are built here in the states. 

For Rendezvous adherents who have gone beyond running their vehicles into the ground, they love them so much.

No third row.

RDZ did have a third row, and a surprisingly decent one......

Yup I think the Envision is a two-row though.

Manufacturers need to decide if their CUV is going to be a daytrip bus (3-row with no room for "stuff") or capacious 2-row for longer road trips/vacations.  I'd rather have a two-row CUV... the room taken up by a third row can go to cargo capacity instead.

Manufacturers need to decide if their CUV is going to be a daytrip bus (3-row with no room for "stuff") or capacious 2-row for longer road trips/vacations.  I'd rather have a two-row CUV... the room taken up by a third row can go to cargo capacity instead.

Do third rows that fold flat really take up that much extra space?

It's just a temp move most likely.  But it makes a lot of business sense to do it this way when there isn't currently a line in the US to build them on.  GM sells 4 times as many Buicks in China as they do in the US.... including a good bunch of Enclaves that are built here in the states. 

They should have waited if they weren't smart enough to plan down the road. This is just what those opposed to the bailout were waiting for and it's pretty sad that they can't find another factory to build it. It's not like they don't have options

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Do third rows that fold flat really take up that much extra space?

It's not just about loading space, but ease of loading.  The flatter the better.

It is, but not for US consumption.   Spain, Germany, Mexico, China, India, Brazil... and more.   The U.S. bound ones are made in Mexico.

I thought so but I wasn't sure. I knew they were built all over the planet but I wasn't sure which ones were sold where.

It's a similar strategy to what they did with the Regal. The first year they built them in Yurp, after that North America. The wild card is how people react to the whole "made in China" thing. One year they may forgive... but after that they either put their foot down or forget it entirely.

Jesus Christ Steve... We had this argument over at GMI damn near to death. Your argument for laid down their and if U keep it up here it will happen again.

MiatsoCi

You lost the argument over there if you want to lose it over here be my guest

Ford still has the best three row solution.  Look into the Flex, Explorer, and Taurus X.

The Rendayvue was such that there really wasnt any cargo room with the third row up, but it did have a good third row.  If you get the RDV without the third row, the cargo area was positively cavernous.  XL7's (Equinox XL's) without the third row had huge cargo areas also.

• Agree 1

Jesus Christ Steve... We had this argument over at GMI damn near to death. Your argument for laid down their and if U keep it up here it will happen again.

MiatsoCi

People I have to let U kno that this is the same guy that said 

I eat Chinese Food 3-4 times a week, believe me I have nothing against the Chinese.

steve333 @ GMI post #73

So I'll just do my thing.. as re-writing it would get tiring

Tell U what.. U start a campaign.. an effective one that gets behind it 250 money able Americans to STOP buying all Chinese manufactured goods, no matter how small or large, and I'll stop defending GM's reason for doing it as OK.. and American-Justified. 

I'm no fan of importing and selling the Envision here either.. but then again.. I'm no fan of importing and selling BMW, Toyotas/Lex, Hyundais/Kias, Benzes, VW/Audis, Jag-LRs, Honda/Acuras, Nissan/Infin, Volvos, Subies, or Mazdas either. The idea of allowing the Chinese to send all their cheap **** over here and we sop it up like biscuit wheels on a road of gravy.. but suddenly find "Uncle Sam" when GM pulls a car from one of its global factories and brings it here is just weird hypocrisy..

I gave up on the American worker a while ago.. went my own path. Saw that American would rather feed Japanese, German, and Korean workers while they themselves stood in line waiting to cash unemployment checks so they could make payments on their Prius, Jetta or Sonata.. rinse repeat.. 

Where I'm confused is .. How does it make sense that the Japanese worker building a Prius.. making a weekly $133,254 JPY is less of a problem than the Chinese worker making $6,483 YUAN, when the American.. who bought the Prius.. is making $392 a week in unemployment wages (used Michigan)???

Basically what this entire silly thread is saying (and I used this example before) is as an American.. we are "OK with Adolf, Goh, and Hiro sleeping with our significant other, but that Chung??? He better go find another tramp to sleep with and keep his hands off my cheating tramp so Adolf, Goh, and Hiro don't get their feelings hurt"

What I still don't get... Is why this, and only this import...seems to ruffle everyone's feathers when so much more from China is imported equaling higher overall dollar amounts and utilizing far more jobs. 

Also... I find it exceptionally interesting that no one has brought up (except me of course) that the UAW was complicit in this decision. I haven't even heard a word of them protesting hard or threatening to strike. Could it have been part of their deal? 

Lastly.. I am still blown away with the American job argument Vs China... but no issue with the Mexicans, Canadians, Koreans, Germans, or Japanese taking jobs. A lost job is a lost job, whether it be to Pablo in Mexico City , Anne-Marie in Ontario, Adolf in Germany, Goh in Korea, Hiro in Japan, or... And I kno y'all hate him the most.. Chung in China. Explain these to me.. with out prejudice or fear mongering and I'll exit from this thread
Edited by Cmicasa the Great
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Thanks, Drew. I didn't know that answer lol.

MiatsoCi

I eat Chinese Food 3-4 times a week, believe me I have nothing against the Chinese.

steve333 @ GMI post #73

Tell U what.. U start a campaign.. an effective one that gets behind it 250 money able Americans to STOP buying all Chinese manufactured goods, no matter how small or large, and I'll stop defending GM's reason for doing it as OK.. and American-Justified. 

I'm no fan of importing and selling the Envision here either.. but then again.. I'm no fan of importing and selling BMW, Toyotas/Lex, Hyundais/Kias, Benzes, VW/Audis, Jag-LRs, Honda/Acuras, Nissan/Infin, Volvos, Subies, or Mazdas either. The idea of allowing the Chinese to send all their cheap **** over here and we sop it up like biscuit wheels on a road of gravy.. but suddenly find "Uncle Sam" when GM pulls a car from one of its global factories and brings it here is just weird hypocrisy..

I gave up on the American worker a while ago.. went my own path. Saw that American would rather feed Japanese, German, and Korean workers while they themselves stood in line waiting to cash unemployment checks so they could make payments on their Prius, Jetta or Sonata.. rinse repeat.. 

Where I'm confused is .. How does it make sense that the Japanese worker building a Prius.. making a weekly $133,254 JPY is less of a problem than the Chinese worker making $6,483 YUAN, when the American.. who bought the Prius.. is making $392 a week in unemployment wages (used Michigan)???

Basically what this entire silly thread is saying (and I used this example before) is as an American.. we are "OK with Adolf, Goh, and Hiro sleeping with our significant other, but that Chung??? He better go find another tramp to sleep with and keep his hands off my cheating tramp so Adolf, Goh, and Hiro don't get their feelings hurt"

What I still don't get... Is why this, and only this import...seems to ruffle everyone's feathers when so much more from China is imported equaling higher overall dollar amounts and utilizing far more jobs. 

Also... I find it exceptionally interesting that no one has brought up (except me of course) that the UAW was complicit in this decision. I haven't even heard a word of them protesting hard or threatening to strike. Could it have been part of their deal? 

Lastly.. I am still blown away with the American job argument Vs China... but no issue with the Mexicans, Canadians, Koreans, Germans, or Japanese taking jobs. A lost job is a lost job, whether it be to Pablo in Mexico City , Anne-Marie in Ontario, Adolf in Germany, Goh in Korea, Hiro in Japan, or... And I kno y'all hate him the most.. Chung in China. Explain these to me.. with out prejudice or fear mongering and I'll exit from this thread

Interesting how you don't use the same nickname here as you do there, you're such a popular guy.

If you didn't get it from the long discussion over at GMI then you won't get it here either.

You have a hard on for GM and whatever they do, but not all of us are fanboys who accept every decision GM makes.

• Disagree 1

Ford still has the best three row solution.  Look into the Flex, Explorer, and Taurus X.

The Rendayvue was such that there really wasnt any cargo room with the third row up, but it did have a good third row.  If you get the RDV without the third row, the cargo area was positively cavernous.  XL7's (Equinox XL's) without the third row had huge cargo areas also.

Yeah, I like grabbing an Explorer when I can't get a Suburban for my rental. 

MiatsoCi

steve333 @ GMI post #73

Interesting how you don't use the same nickname here as you do there, you're such a popular guy.

If you didn't get it from the long discussion over at GMI then you won't get it here either.

You have a hard on for GM and whatever they do, but not all of us are fanboys who accept every decision GM makes.

First off, who cares what his nickname is? Second, he actually makes some very valid points that expose your weak post as mostly pure trolling. Explain in detail why it is a "bad PR move" and then explain why Barra should get canned when GM has been doing nothing but going up during her tenure there? It's a world economy for a reason so I'm curious as to your reasoning here on the first question. 

It's a drop in the bucket sales wise and Buick is selling the MUCH more expensive Enclave in China..... building it in Michigan.   As long as GM shows a dedication to continuing to build the bulk of its US market cars in North America, I have no problem with some small volume niche models coming from Australia, Korea, Germany, Mexico, and ... yes... China. 

As long as the quality is there in the Envision, it will sell in the US fine.  Being German designed and Korean built certainly didn't slow down the Encore any. 

• Agree 1

It's a drop in the bucket sales wise and Buick is selling the MUCH more expensive Enclave in China..... building it in Michigan.   As long as GM shows a dedication to continuing to build the bulk of its US market cars in North America, I have no problem with some small volume niche models coming from Australia, Korea, Germany, Mexico, and ... yes... China. 

As long as the quality is there in the Envision, it will sell in the US fine.  Being German designed and Korean built certainly didn't slow down the Encore any.

Drew some just can not grasp the big picture. All they can see are their own preconceived notions.

The automakers from Jappan have been doing this for years from many countries.

• Agree 1

Please.. I came clean over at GMI about who I was, and even asked Diego to change my name to Cmicasa the Great AGAIN.. but he would not.. and told me to embrace MiatsoCi/PearlsRider/LovelyMoon/the Grifter/FoxMuldersGhost

To the topic.. a lost job is a lost job.. trying to bring up China's humanitarian report card or their political stance is insane.

Mary Barra is doing exactly what every other manufacturing CEO has done since the first Chinese manufactured product showed up on our shares.. we did this.. WE... DID... THIS.

Buying any other product from a communist country or any other country... no matter what..is okay....as long as it's not a GM vehicle

GM is far from the first, and certainly not the last.. as long as people seem to have no problem buying even food.. that's SUSTENANCE.. and clothing.. and medical equipment.. from China

GM is going to bring one GM built car, with projected sales of 60K, over from their own Chinese-soil based plant.. let me say that AGAIN... GM is going to bring one GM built car over from THEIR own Chinese-soil based plant.. these REAL Americans, whose homes are littered to the ceiling Chinese manufactured goods, have decided that they are no longer gonna support GM or its other 50 products that account for the 3 Million it sold here in the U.S. last year.. providing jobs galore and spurring this economy. 

and let's not forget that many of them have German, Japanese, or Korean.. hell Indian built cars in the garage.

Yeah.. Boycott GM.. have lay-offs here in the U.S. to protest one thing that they've been supporting since (Ok.. I was gonna post a picture of a Vice President who kinda started it all, but decided not to. Hint.. his last name sounds like the name of a BIRD)

How about this? U have any problem with Municipalities and States buying their Mass Transit Buses from BYD Auto Co., Ltd? BYD is a Chinese automobile manufacturer based in Shenzhen, Guangdong Province.

Here I provided a Link. The Chinese have apparently come up with a way to get a bunch of us Americans in a rolling can.. so they can do nasty thing to us like experiment, put us in chambers, and perform mass genocide.. 

Next time U see one of these.. considering they've been here for a bit.. blame Buick and GM

BYD_K-9_electric_test_bus_0060_in_NYC.jp