Camaro Engine Lineup Speculation...

Okay, so here's what I'm saying...

For the base model V6:

3.6L DOHC with VVT & DI

Why? It's perfect. It'll be production-ready by 2008, it'll make enough power to annihilate Ford's most potent V6 up to date (3.6L @ 265 HP/250 TQ), and will offer good enough MPG/emissions to make even Honda buyers go American.

For the smaller V8:

I don't really know. I'd like to think a more up-to-date 5.3L than the current one with a bit more power, but I really have no idea. Ideas from you guys?

For the larger V8:

6.2L LS3 with VVT/AFM

I'd definitely say a 6.2-6.3L LS3 (whatever amount of liters it will be) making around 425-450 HP is very possible. Especially with how great of fuel economy (est. 30+ MPG) is expected for that much power out of that particular engine.

For an exclusive, low-production V8:

Supercharged and Intercooled LS3

This would be like a ZL1 Camaro in a very low production number and wouldn't need great MPG, but it will still have pretty good MPG even with the blower on there. I'd estimate this being around 500-550 HP depending on the power the NA LS3 puts out.

I don't think the 3.6L w/DI will be standard. I think that will be a relatively expensive upgrade when it's new (until the cost is paid off) but I could be wrong.

The 3.9L will be just fine for the base engine. Secretaries don't need 300HP anyways. 240-250HP will be plenty for them.

Realistically, I'm thinking:

3.9L VVT

3.6L with DI/VVT (based on info at CZ28, there might not be a 5.3L V8)

6.2L LS3

6.2L LS3 with S/C (low volume ZL-1)

However I'd like to see NOS's lineup.

So is the era of Corvette being the most powerful GM car over?

Speaking of the 5.3L, probably won't work, because the LS4 is just a special version adapted for FWD. You wouldn't want a FWD Camaro, do you?

Edited by ToniCipriani

Im guessing a version of the 3.9L V6 will be the standard engine, with 240 hp this will be more than enough.. I just dont see the 3.6L Dohc engine being used in Chevys anytime soon.. a 5.3L V8 will power midlevel cars and will make around 320 hp. the top camaro will have a 6.0L or a 6.2L V8 worth 385 hp..

Speaking of the 5.3L, probably won't work, because the LS4 is just a special version adapted for FWD. You wouldn't want a FWD Camaro, do you?

The 5.3L has been in the full size trucks since the intro of the GMT-800s. Corvette will always be on top, the Blue Devil will make sure of that.

Corvette will always have its own exclusivity and level of refinement above and beyond any other Chevy.

This won't be the first time Corvette's been in a HP "race" with the Camaro, however. They've shared the same engines and performance numbers many a time, but the Corvette will always have the slightly better suspension to put those numbers down, along with a little less weight with two less seats.

Oh, and like somebody else said, the Blue Devil or Corvette SS will always be a step above the Camaro in HP.

Edited by NOS2006

I would guess (3.9L 240HP V6 base)--(5.3L 320HP V8 opt RS)--(6.0L 400+HP V8 SS).---------I would HOPE FOR (3.9L 3VPC 270HP base)--(5.3L 350HP V8 opt RS)--(6.0L 450+HP Z28)--(7.0L 525HP V8 SS)!

I would guess (3.9L 240HP V6 base)--(5.3L 320HP V8 opt RS)--(6.0L 400+HP V8 SS).---------I would HOPE FOR (3.9L 3VPC 270HP base)--(5.3L 350HP V8 opt RS)--(6.0L 450+HP Z28)--(7.0L 525HP V8 SS)!

Psst.. the 7.0L LS7 shouldn't be around too much longer with stronger, more (or just as) powerful engines coming out.

Im guessing a version of the 3.9L V6 will be the standard engine, with 240 hp this will be more than enough.. I just dont see the 3.6L Dohc engine being used in Chevys anytime soon..  a 5.3L V8 will power midlevel cars and will make around 320 hp. the top camaro will have a 6.0L or a 6.2L V8 worth 385 hp..

240 more than enough? Not with the speculated weight, which is HEAVY.

240 more than enough? Not with the speculated weight, which is HEAVY.

No, 240HP is plenty for secretaries and others (READ: women). For anyone who wants a high-power V6, GM will have the 300HP 3.6L available at extra cost. However, for those who could care less if it's screaming fast for a V6 and only care that it can keep itself from being run over in traffic, 240HP is fine and the 3.9 will allow for a lower entry point than the 3.6 would, while offering the 3.6 at extra cost.

w/ current engines have to be the 3.9L 5.3L and the 6.0L

since we know that's not the case... i'll speculate with keeping the 3.9L w/ afm and "tuning" to put out closer to 260hp while getting maybe 32mpg highway.

5.3L (~330hp) would be great for an RS model while also getting 30+ mpg.

"ls3" (~420hp) and a "corvette ls3" w/ 450hp

3 engines is almost if the HP gap is bigger than the '02's gap from the v6 to the v8 which was.... 125hp if i remember correctly

edit : grammar in last statement

Edited by loki

i'll speculate with keeping the 3.9L w/ afm and "tuning" to put out closer to 260hp while getting maybe 32mpg highway.

Well, if the 3.9L currently gets 21/31 MPG and you add AFM or VVT, you'll get a bit better than only 1 extra MPG highway or else GM wouldn't have wasted their time developing the VVT on this engine. I know you said tuning, but with the right tune, one won't lose much MPG, if any.

Oh, and if the 400+ HP V8 going into the Camaro gets 30+ MPG highway, I'm sure the V6 will get a bit better mileage or else it's pointless to buy the V6 other than because of insurance..

Edited by NOS2006

Well, if the 3.9L currently gets 21/31 MPG and you add AFM or VVT, you'll get a bit better than only 1 extra MPG highway or else GM wouldn't have wasted their time developing the VVT on this engine. I know you said tuning, but with the right tune, one won't lose much MPG, if any.

that 21/31 figure, where'd you get that? w/ afm on the impala "preliminary testing of the 2007 Chevy Impala equipped with the 3.9L V-6 with AFM indicates an estimated 20 mpg in the city and 29 mpg on the highway – improvements of approximately 5.5 percent and 7.5 percent, respectively."- from the "gm news-afm impala"

not saying it couldn't be done, but a 6 speed may get it closer to 21/32, and have room for those higher HP/trq #s ?

I would almost expect the 3900, if it were used in the Camaro, to have a higher output than it currently does. Turning the engine counter-clockwise 90* for a longitudinal RWD layout makes for a less restrictive exhaust system (which would be a given in a Camaro, anyway) that could be good for another 10-15hp.

checked chevy.com M.C. LTZ is ~220lbs lighter than the ltz impala

Monte Carlo LTZ 3,501/1,588 20/28mpg

Impala LTZ 3,729/1,691 19/27mpg

so if the camaro is closer to th MC's weight it could rate a 21/30mpg w/ afm, add the +'s of a 6 speed, maybe closer to 23/ 32?

If a Camaro (or any Chevy for that matter) ever wears the ZL1

emblem again it better damn well be LS7 powered. That's the

very definition of ZL1. 427 cubich inches, all aluminum motor &

no nonsense pushrod design.

I'd love to see a "value-package" base V8 with none of the toys,

power options and such, a modern day Road Runner of sorts.

The 5.3 would be great but the 4.8 would be fine too.

Guys the 3.9 ain't going in. Notice what will be using the HF V6s in the future: all Thetas, Epsilons, TE crossovers, Holden's VE cars, Sigmas, and definately the Buick Zetas.

Given that the Buick Zetas, Sigmas, and Holden's VEs will share may parts of each other do you really think GM is going to certify a hole different V6 for the Chevy & possibly Pontiac versions only?

My guess is

Non DI 3.6 Base

DI 3.6 Midlevel

6.0 base V8

6.2/6.3 Corvette based V8 top motor

6 speed autos standard with 6 speed sticks as no cost options (maybe even the auto based sticks).

Trim levels will be SS midlevel (base V8) and Z/28 top model in limited numbers and high price tags.

that 21/31 figure, where'd you get that?  w/ afm on the impala "preliminary testing of the 2007 Chevy Impala equipped with the 3.9L V-6 with AFM indicates an estimated 20 mpg in the city and 29 mpg on the highway – improvements of approximately 5.5 percent and 7.5 percent, respectively."- from the "gm news-afm impala"

not saying it couldn't be done, but a 6 speed may get it closer to 21/32, and have room for those higher HP/trq #s    ?

I found it off a 2006 Monte Carlo. I don't think they have the VVT working yet, do they? :huh:

I found it off a 2006 Monte Carlo. I don't think they have the VVT working yet, do they? :huh:

yeah, and it's in all the new 3.5Ls too that mileage was on a 3.5L (211hp iirc and yes vvt)

Guys the 3.9 ain't going in.  Notice what will be using the HF V6s in the future:  all Thetas, Epsilons, TE crossovers, Holden's VE cars, Sigmas, and definately the Buick Zetas.

Given that the Buick Zetas, Sigmas, and Holden's VEs will share may parts of each other do you really think GM is going to certify a hole different V6 for the Chevy & possibly Pontiac versions only?

My guess is

Non DI 3.6 Base

DI 3.6 Midlevel

6.0 base V8

6.2/6.3 Corvette based V8 top motor

6 speed autos standard with 6 speed sticks as no cost options (maybe even the auto based sticks).

Trim levels will be SS midlevel (base V8) and Z/28 top model in limited numbers and high price tags.

If not the 3.9 then I would agree the 3.6L without DI would go in as the base engine, and going by what you said about certification the 3.6 sounds like it will be the base engine.

Please god NO!!!

I just hope there is a V8 version that can be sold at around $25,000, like with a 5.3L. A 300hp V6 is nice, but not for me. If I buy a Camaro, I need the sound of a V8.

Is the 3.9 going away? The only cars that offer it, and don't offer the 3.6 also, are the Monte Carlo and Impala, and they are going away with Zeta. The and Aura, G6 both offer the 3.6 now.

Im guessing a version of the 3.9L V6 will be the standard engine, with 240 hp this will be more than enough.. I just dont see the 3.6L Dohc engine being used in Chevys anytime soon..  a 5.3L V8 will power midlevel cars and will make around 320 hp. the top camaro will have a 6.0L or a 6.2L V8 worth 385 hp..

ABSOLUTELY correct IMHO.

This powertrain lineup totally fits within GM's current M-O (unfortunately....in regards to the 3.9L.)

Factor in the bean-counters pushing for the 3.9L base, and 5.3L midlevel.....with the 6.0 LS2 as the top-level (and likely expensive....re the new Shelby GT-500) Camaro offering.

The 300hp (or so) 5.3L V8 will be the volume V8 model competing directly against the Mustang GT.

As much as we'd like to see more exotic stuff, it just doesn't make business case sense with this car.

checked chevy.com  M.C. LTZ is ~220lbs lighter than the ltz impala

Monte Carlo LTZ 3,501/1,588        20/28mpg

Impala LTZ          3,729/1,691        19/27mpg

so if the camaro is closer to th MC's weight  it could rate a 21/30mpg w/ afm,  add the +'s of a 6 speed, maybe closer to 23/ 32?

So THAT'S why the Impala LTZ rental I had felt considerably slower than the MC LTZ rental I had just a few weeks before.....

ABSOLUTELY correct IMHO.

This powertrain lineup totally fits within GM's current M-O (unfortunately....in regards to the 3.9L.)

Factor in the bean-counters pushing for the 3.9L base, and 5.3L midlevel.....with the 6.0 LS2 as the top-level (and likely expensive....re the new Shelby GT-500) Camaro offering.

The 300hp (or so) 5.3L V8 will be the volume V8 model competing directly against the Mustang GT.

As much as we'd like to see more exotic stuff, it just doesn't make business case sense with this car.

I'm not picking on you O.C., but just to clear up a few things:

"People in the know" (not using names so I can protect the innocent) on the Camaro program have said that the 6.0 will NOT be in the Camaro. That engine will be replaced across the board at GM by the LS3, though the details are still speculation. Those people have also said that the 5.3L may not make it either in favor of a 300+ hp V6 as a mid-level offering. I would have agreed with you on the 3.9L, but 91z4me's post earlier in this thread takes care of that reasoning.

I can see the reasoning for a 300(+) horsepower engine... after all, the Nissan 350Z has a V6 pumping out around 300hp... the Mitsubishi Eclipse is in the same area as well. The only competitor with a V8 has got to be the Mustang.

I'd still like to see the 5.3. After all, this is an American car and deserves American muscle and grunt. But with fuel economy dominating many car buyers' minds, the V6 may be the pick.

I love the new Camaro and I am saving up for a Camaro, but I always figured it'd have a V8 option. I'd be disappointed if it didn't. And you never know. The lack of a V8 could drive me to buy the redesigned Mustang...

Edited by Captainbooyah

I can see the reasoning for a 300(+) horsepower engine... after all, the Nissan 350Z has a V6 pumping out around 300hp... the Mitsubishi Eclipse is in the same area as well. The only competitor with a V8 has got to be the Mustang.

I'd still like to see the 5.3. After all, this is an American car and deserves American muscle and grunt. But with fuel economy dominating many car buyers' minds, the V6 may be the pick.

I love the new Camaro and I am saving up for a Camaro, but I always figured it'd have a V8 option. I'd be disappointed if it didn't. And you never know. The lack of a V8 could drive me to buy the redesigned Mustang...

I don't think they are going to build it without a V8..not going to happen. If they want to compete with the Mustang, there is going to be something around the same price range with a 300hp V8. Called 'Z-28' probably, then a higher powered SS.. (Or vice versa on the names).

i totally understand the "go all out" idea that some of you agree on, but, sorry if i've missed the evidence, why are we believing the 3.6 "has to be at least optional, if not the base engine"? were the only OHC chevy's pre OHV, and the inline 6's that went in things between nova's and trucks? (other than the obvious more recent 4bangers) do we believe the 3.6L has more potential than the 3.9L? and would this potential outweigh the price difference if GM wanted to move lots of "well priced" v6 camaros?

relating to my previous post, if a ~260-280hp(or more) V6 model having a 5.3L offering would, IMO, not be as necisary(spelling wow?).

the v8 would have to put out a sound 420hp base though, w/ a z/28 or SS with more like 450hp.

Edited by loki

Either it's a stick with a clutch pedal or it's an auto.

All the stuff in between is juts half assed junk. I

don't need to get charged extra money to shift

my automatic manually, I used to shift my 1994

Sunbird 3-speed wiht the corny T-bar shifter.

Back when I was a dumb kid that seemed like a

good way to pretend it was a stick... these days

either give me a true manual or don't but do NOT

coddle me like a freekin infant wiht some auto-

stick B.S.

As long as there is a TRUE, 3-pedal manual trans

with an H-pattern shifter and a reverse lockout in

every model & trim I will be happy regardless of

what else is offered.

Okay, so here's what I'm saying...

For the base model V6:

3.6L  DOHC with VVT & DI

Why? It's perfect. It'll be production-ready by 2008, it'll make enough power to annihilate Ford's most potent V6 up to date (3.6L @ 265 HP/250 TQ), and will offer good enough MPG/emissions to make even Honda buyers go American.

For the smaller V8:

I don't really know. I'd like to think a more up-to-date 5.3L than the current one with a bit more power, but I really have no idea. Ideas from you guys?

For the larger V8:

6.2L LS3 with VVT/AFM

I'd definitely say a 6.2-6.3L LS3 (whatever amount of liters it will be) making around 425-450 HP is very possible. Especially with how great of fuel economy (est. 30+ MPG) is expected for that much power out of that particular engine.

For an exclusive, low-production V8:

Supercharged and Intercooled LS3

This would be like a ZL1 Camaro in a very low production number and wouldn't need great MPG, but it will still have pretty good MPG even with the blower on there. I'd estimate this being around 500-550 HP depending on the power the NA LS3 puts out.

Here how I see it

3.9 HVV6 as the base engine

5.3 LS4V8 as the base V8

6.0 LS2V8 and probably an LS3 or LS7 as a low-production Camaro

Here how I see it

5.3 LS4V8 as the base V8

Imaj, your's and NOS's are my favorite lineup yet. Very realistic and very Camaro. :5thgen::ohyeah::ohyeah: Oh, I can not wait. All this talk and speculation is really making me excited!!

Here how I see it

5.3 LS4V8 as the base V8

Please read post #19, where I explain logically why the 3.6 HF will be used.

Also the LS4 is FWD only, and 5.3 liters will likely not be the small displacement Gen IV size for much longer. Same with the 6.0 it will be replaced by the 6.2 or 6.3 L LS3.

Please read post #19, where I explain logically why the 3.6 HF will be used.

Also the LS4 is FWD only, and 5.3 liters will likely not be the small displacement Gen IV size for much longer.  Same with the 6.0 it will be replaced by the 6.2 or 6.3 L LS3.

But the 5.3L in the Tahoe is RWD, though I dont believe its coded as LS4. The 5.3 was made for RWD, then adapted to FWD, so it's not a FWD only engine.

I kind of doubt it'll launch with 3 trim lines. I expect a V6 (probably 3.9L) RS and a V8 Z/28 (probabaly LS2). The higher end model (SS) probably won't be available for a couple of years (like when the 4th gen launched) and even then I HIGHLY doubt the Carmaro will get the LS7. Probably just some ram air hood and tweaked exhaust for a bit more HP.

People thinking that the LS7 is going to be just thrown into the Camaro are dreaming IMO.

And as far as I remember, the SS on the 4th gen wasn't even built by GM. They were Z28s sent off to SLP for modifications, so is the Firehawk.

Only up until 2000, I believe, then GM did everythin in-house.

People thinking that the LS7 is going to be just thrown into the Camaro are dreaming IMO.

Never say never.... all the original ZL1s were made in 1969

Chevy made only two Corvettes but they produced 69

Camaros. They made 50 for the sake of homogulation and

then 19 more were ordered by one of the famous sticker &

emblem COPO dealers. I think it was NICKEY but it might

have been Baldwin-Motion or even Berger. Or then again it

might have even been Yenko. :duh:

In any event... a lot of people *doomsayers* said we Camaro

fans had our heads in the clouds and there would be no

concept.. not ion 2006, or 2007 or probably ever. Those

people woudl tell you an LS7 will never see production in a

Camaro. I hope they like the taste of their own foot. :wink:

Posted Image

I'd like to see the LS7 used elsewhere than the Z06 eventually..it's the ultimate evolution of the Chevy pushrod V8, and deserves wider usage, IMHO...I'd like to see it in a special Camaro, the upcoming Zeta Impala, or (my favorite) a Z06 version of the Tahoe and Suburban....

I'd like to see the LS7 used elsewhere than the Z06 eventually..it's the ultimate evolution of the Chevy pushrod V8, and deserves wider usage, IMHO...I'd like to see it in a  special Camaro, the upcoming Zeta Impala, or  (my favorite) a Z06 version of the Tahoe and Suburban....

CTS-V? But probably by the time it's here it's probably LS8 already...

But don't forget the LS7 is handbuilt. I really don't think it's suitable for any mass volume production.

But the 5.3L in the Tahoe is RWD, though I dont believe its coded as LS4. The 5.3 was made for RWD, then adapted to FWD, so it's not a FWD only engine.

You said LS4 which is FWD only. There are 3 or more RWD 5.3s the non DOD one found in the GMT360 regulars, GMT800 Tahoe, and GMT800 Silverado. The 5.3 DOD found in the GMT360 EXTs. And the new 5.3 DOD 320ish hp one in the GMT900s.

But it doesn't matter since all these 5.3s will likely be replaced before the Camaro comes out.

You said LS4 which is FWD only.  There are 3 or more RWD 5.3s the non DOD one found in the GMT360 regulars, GMT800 Tahoe, and GMT800 Silverado.  The 5.3 DOD found in the GMT360 EXTs.  And the new 5.3 DOD 320ish hp one in the GMT900s.

But it doesn't matter since all these 5.3s will likely be replaced before the Camaro comes out.

Well my point was just that the 5.3(or it's replacement) would be available to use in the Camaro since it's not only a FWD engine.