2019 Lamborghini Urus Finally Debuts

William Maley

3 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Why is that Cadillac’s primary competition?  Mercedes and BMW’s mid size SUVs offer a 600 hp V8 for $100,000.  Cadillac needs to aim higher.  And their sedan business is dead in the water, if they don’t do something soon with SUVs the same will happen there too. 

The XT5 seems naturally to be competition with other FWD/AWD V6 CUVs in it's price range--like the MDX, RX, MKX, etc).   I don't see them as competition for the GLE or X5, which offer V8s and performance versions.  The car based FWD/AWD is the high volume end of the niche---RX and MDX are #1 and #2 in luxury CUV/SUV sales (2016).   XT5 wasn't even in the top 10.

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/street-smarts/best-selling-luxury-suvs-2016-list-article-1.2956170

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

The XT5 seems naturally to be competition with other FWD/AWD V6 CUVs in it's price range--like the MDX, RX, MKX, etc).   I don't see them as competition for the GLE or X5, which offer V8s and performance versions.  The car based FWD/AWD is the high volume end of the niche---RX and MDX are #1 and #2 in luxury CUV/SUV sales (2016).   XT5 wasn't even in the top 10.

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/street-smarts/best-selling-luxury-suvs-2016-list-article-1.2956170

The XT5 is geared toward a Lincoln MKX or Lexus RX and that is the problem.   That is like making the CTS an Acura TLX or Lincoln MKZ competitor.  The sell a good number of XT5's because they are cheap, and because it is the only thing people walking into Cadillac dealerships buy, they sold like 600 CTS's last month.

2 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

RX and MDX are #1 and #2 in luxury CUV/SUV sales (2016).   XT5 wasn't even in the top 10.

How could it have been in the top 10; the XT5 wasn't on sale the whole year in 2016.
April 2016 sales were 304, and the thru-Nov 2016 sales were 32,049.

November 2017 XT5 sales were 5,623 and thru Nov 2017 the total is running 61,424. Basically 200% of 2016.

Guess where the MDX is at in 2017 thru Nov : 43,469. Isn't the XT5 currently running in the #2 spot?
Any other new lux SUV move that quickly up the sales chart?

Bet Mercedes would like to be banking profit on their mid-range CUV on that kind of volume.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

How could it have been in the top 10; the XT5 wasn't on sale the whole year in 2016.
April 2016 sales were 304, and the thru-Nov 2016 sales were 32,049.

November 2017 XT5 sales were 5,623 and thru Nov 2017 the total is running 61,424. Basically 200% of 2016.

Guess where the MDX is at in 2017 thru Nov : 43,469. Isn't the XT5 currently running in the #2 spot?

I wasn't sure when they switched from SRX to XT5...couldn't find a list for 2017 YTD sales; SRX wasn't on the 2016 top 10 list either.  Anyway, volume shouldn't be the measure of luxury anyway, right?   

5 hours ago, smk4565 said:

The XT5 is geared toward a Lincoln MKX or Lexus RX and that is the problem.   

I don't see that as a problem. That is its niche and price point.  It seems like a competitive model in that segment. It has more in common with them than with the X5 or GLE. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I wasn't sure when they switched from SRX to XT5...couldn't find a list for 2017 YTD sales; SRX wasn't on the 2016 top 10 list either.  Anyway, volume shouldn't be the measure of luxury anyway, right?   

I don't see that as a problem. That is its niche and price point.  It seems like a competitive model in that segment. It has more in common with them than with the X5 or GLE. 

Of course volume shouldn't be a metric for a luxury- in fact the opposite is actually the case. SRX was definitely slowing in sales toward the end of it's run. Personally I don't care for the vehicle- haven't driven one but I can't get past the huge snout on it. But the XT5 is finding way more buyers than the SRX did. Cadillac got this one right on the money.

RE the X5/GLE - quite frankly I believe the whole 'cross-shopping' thing is vastly overrated. I don't think many consumers approach buying a vehicle by objectively compiling a list of all features, then going out & doing instrumented testing of a field of possibles like the magazines do. XT5 doesn't have to compete with this wheel drive ( the majority are AWD anyway) or that 0-60 as long as it hits the major points that's driving the luxury CUV/SUV segment. Clearly, it does. The average Brand X buyer is not going to seriously consider the Brand Q on average- that works both ways. But all this weight on 'Ooo- it can't corner as hard as an ABC XYZ so it's not as good' is a lot of wishful thinking. No one drives CUVs/SUVs that way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As has been proven by so many companies that FWD/RWD is not an issue for the Luxury and mid market as we see plenty are sold every year worldwide of the FWD CUV design. If anything AWD is now considered part of the upper Luxury world for those that can afford the higher fuel costs.

15 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Cadillac already has 2 rear drive platforms, neither of which are generating any sedan sales.  Total waste to not use those for SUVs.

And I think there are a lot of enthusiasts or buyers that prioritize "sport" in their sport utility vehicle, because BMW, Mercedes, Alfa Romeo, Maserati, Jaguar/Land Rover, Porsche, Bentley and even Infiniti and Audi are selling them and now Lamborghini is in the game, and Ferrari is going to be next.  

And somewhere in VW headquarters they are swimming in a Scrooge McDuck style money bin with all the cash coming from the Cayenne, Bentayga and the Urus.

Alpha is also used for the Camaro which does generate some sales. Alpha is used under three vehicles and the ATS is coupe and sedan.

Maybe it wasn't designed for SUV use? From reviews, it's definitely the most superior car platform in each of its respective uses. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Alpha is also used for the Camaro which does generate some sales. Alpha is used under three vehicles and the ATS is coupe and sedan.

Maybe it wasn't designed for SUV use? From reviews, it's definitely the most superior car platform in each of its respective uses. 

I would love to understand the difference between a car platform and a CUV platform. It would make sense to me to have a platform that could cover both from an investment standpoint. I also wonder? :scratchchin:

14 hours ago, smk4565 said:

The XT5 is geared toward a Lincoln MKX or Lexus RX and that is the problem.

What about that is a problem? A CUV that's FWD based for moms is right up the market's alley. 

I don't think the two leading luxury SUV sales leaders are complaining about their sales even the slightest... XT5 outsells the X5 by roughly 18,000 units YTD this year. 

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2017/12/november-2017-ytd-u-s-suv-sales-rankings-top-106-best-selling-suvs-america-every-suv-ranked/

The top 5 luxury SUVs, in sales, are all FWD based and laughing at your statements. The RX might surpass 100,000 sales this year. 

X5 and GLC won't hit 50,000 and the GLE will just pass 50,000 units. 

3 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I would love to understand the difference between a car platform and a CUV platform. It would make sense to me to have a platform that could cover both from an investment standpoint. I also wonder? :scratchchin:

I completely agree! there has to be differences because of the height of the body, stiffness for rollover prevention, AWD systems.. I'm just not sure what exactly. 

Edited by ccap41
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, dfelt said:

40 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I completely agree! there has to be differences because of the height of the body, stiffness for rollover prevention, AWD systems.. I'm just not sure what exactly. 

@Drew Dowdell @William Maley Hey guys, can you possibly shed some light on what ccap41 and I are wondering about? Do you have any insight into this or press releases that I cannot seem to find on GM web site about why the awesome ATS or CTS platform is not able to be used for the CUV products?

I would think it would make total sense to have a universal platform that could cover these two segments much the same way GM trucks and body on frame SUVs use the same platform.