Ram News: The Problematic Launch of the 2019 Ram 1500

It is no secret Fiat Chrysler Automobiles has been dealing with a number of issues with the 2019 Ram 1500 launch. As we reported back in April, the  Sterling Heights Assembly plant was only operating at 60 percent of where the company wants it to be due to various issues. FCA announced that it would be investing $300 million to try and get production back on track, along with extending the production schedule to six days a week and running though Independence Day and Labor day.

But as Automotive News reports, there is a new issue that is likely driving customers away from the 2019 Ram 1500. Currently, the 1500 is only available with the 5.7L HEMI V8. The 3.6L V6 and 5.7L HEMI V8 with the 48-volt mild hybrid system are no where to be seen.

"I have customers looking for them and asking about them every week," said an unnamed Ram dealer in Michigan.

It is unclear why neither one of these powertrains are available. Automotive News has two possible guesses. One is that FCA engineers are still doing some fine-tuning work to the mild-hybrid system before putting them into production. The other comes down to the EPA becoming more  stringent with automakers in terms of emission and fuel economy testing.

While FCA is quick to point out that retail sales were up 18 percent in May to 27,011, we can't help but wonder if that increase is due to the massive incentives that are being put on the last-generation model. Through May, the average incentive on a last-generation Ram 1500 stood at $6.578 according to Autodata Corp. But the lack of new engines for the 2019 Ram 1500 is hurting, as year-to-date sales are down 8.4 percent. Dave Sullivan, a senior analyst with AutoPacific says the lack of V6 this long after the launch is becoming a problem.

"In the old truck, the V-6 represented about 20 percent of sales," he said.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article

I have to think that the lack of modern powertrains along with a mild 48 volt hybrid system that is vaporware right now is hurting them more than helping them. They should have held off till they had the hybrid system worked out before talking about it.

Well they never gave any public numbers on it. They just said it's coming and gave us info on what it will do.

That's like saying Ford and GM shouldn't talk about future EV products until they're shipping to dealership lots, kind of an absurd thing to think. 

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

Well they never gave any public numbers on it. They just said it's coming and gave us info on what it will do.

That's like saying Ford and GM shouldn't talk about future EV products until they're shipping to dealership lots, kind of an absurd thing to think. 

A little bit different as when Ford and GM announce they are building their 2019 products and shipping them they actually do. FCA announces building and the start of shipping and then very little has actually shown up. FCA might need to get a bit more control on actual delivery. Tesla approach does not work for them. :P 

I see no direct mention of a hybrid option on the Ram website, so I assume it's all hypothetical at this point (or is the 'eTorque' system what they mean by hybrid? ).

Oddly, I see mention of a 3.6 and a 5.7 eTorque VVT engine, but on most of the pages the 3.6 seems to not be clickable.  The 5.7 gives a popup w/ a list of specs..

More importantly, though, is that they claim the '19 Ram 1500 Limited or Laramie Longhorn has 58% more leather than comparable F150s or Silverados. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

@ccap41 @Cubical-aka-Moltar Yes Ram's eTorque system is their 48 volt hybrid system based on all my reading at other sites and from FCA own news releases.

http://media.fcanorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=18753&fIId=18758

Or if you cannot get to the website here is the PDF version to read.

2019_Ram_1500_-_Powertrain.pdf

Comparison including pricing by FCA against Ford and Chevy.

http://media.fcanorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=18914

Like Bill wrote in the story, people are going to the Dealerships and asking for the Hybrid truck. One would think if you announce it, state you are building and shipping the trucks that they would show up on the lots then.

The FCA Pacifica had a very troublied 2017 launch / model year.  Our 2018 seems to have been free of all these quality / design glitches.  I wonder if FCA isn't purely beta testing with their new launches first model years lately.

Ask me why i would lease a Sergio mobile and not buy it, that's about the best way I can explain it to you.  Do you feel lucky punk?  The hybrid rollout on the Pac has been I would say bad.  Regular Pac's have had all sorts of issues.  Issues in the new truck doesn't surprise me.

IF Sergio doesn't want these trucks to go out until there is fewer issues, bless em.  GM has had a rep like this in the past.

And its not like its the Tesla Model 3 launch, just sayin.

Edited by regfootball

5 hours ago, dfelt said:

@ccap41 @Cubical-aka-Moltar Yes Ram's eTorque system is their 48 volt hybrid system based on all my reading at other sites and from FCA own news releases.

http://media.fcanorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=18753&fIId=18758

Or if you cannot get to the website here is the PDF version to read.

2019_Ram_1500_-_Powertrain.pdf

Comparison including pricing by FCA against Ford and Chevy.

http://media.fcanorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=18914

Like Bill wrote in the story, people are going to the Dealerships and asking for the Hybrid truck. One would think if you announce it, state you are building and shipping the trucks that they would show up on the lots then.

Wrong-o.  They are asking for the V6 truck.  The hybrid system is the bitter pill shoved down the throats of V6 buyers.  Thank God for the good ol' red-blooded, unadulterated Hemi.

Edited by ocnblu

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Wrong-o.  They are asking for the V6 truck.  The hybrid system is the bitter pill shoved down the throats of V6 buyers.  Thank God for the good ol' red-blooded, unadulterated Hemi.

Clearly Buck-o you not only did not read Bills write up nor any other web site as people are coming in asking for the V6 and V8 Hybrid system called eTorque and they are nowhere to be found. FCA is late to the delivery of this system.

Per Bills write up:

The 3.6L V6 and 5.7L HEMI V8 with the 48-volt mild hybrid system are nowhere to be seen.

"I have customers looking for them and asking about them every week," said an unnamed Ram dealer in Michigan.