William Maley

GM News: GM Engineers Take A Tour of the F-150 Plant For Inspiration

When General Motors decided to study the Ford F-150 to help make the next-generation Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra, they sent engineers to the front door of where the F-150 is built. 

According to Reuters, engineers went on a public factory tour of Ford's Dearborn truck plant to study how Ford was building them. Special attention was paid to workers attaching aluminum body panels to the trucks. After watching and timing the fitment of parts with stopwatches, GM engineers found some problems.

“They had a real hard time getting those doors to fit,” said Tim Herrick, executive chief engineer for GM truck programs.

Focusing on the doors, engineers bought F-150 doors as parts and took them apart. What they realized is that they could cut weight in their trucks with a combination of aluminum and thinner high strength steel for a lower cost. 

GM could have gone all-aluminum with their trucks. Herrick said the debate at the company “was a really hotly contested item for us.” But at the end of the day, the decision to use mixed metals will allow for a larger profit on the trucks.

“We think we have thousands of dollars advantage (over Ford) just in the aluminum costs. It’s big,” said Herrick.

Source: Reuters

View full article

It is always wise to learn from your competitors, especially where they fail.

Now if only GM can get the Silverado AND Sierra to outsell the F-series combined.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Even  a Ford hater like me has to admit Ford is doing a fantastic job with the F series.

If not for the F150, Ford might very well be a dead company now.

22 hours ago, dfelt said:

If not for the F150, Ford might very well be a dead company now.

You mean they would have needed a bailout like their other US counterparts? 

43 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

True in both regards, if they had not been able to secure their loans when they did they would have needed a US bailout. If they did not have the F150, I am not sure they would still be here, more like Pontiac, Ford would be gone I think without their truck lineup.

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

They needed the bailout before the crisis happened... they just did it before all the banks imploded and there was no one left to finance them.  GM was actually fine, not great, but slightly profitable, just up until the banks melted down. 

Gotta remember the timeline

1. The banks melted down

2. Credit for healthy companies dried up, this is important for financing of operations, buying inventory, etc.  Target suddenly found themselves unable to buy inventory because their primary bank was in the process of failing.  This happened to lots of companies.  GM ended up in the same situation as Target, but being so huge and with long days to cash (time from purchasing parts to getting the cash from a sale) it put them into a major cash crunch.

3. There was no where else for big, cash hungry businesses to turn but to the federal government. Banks and Automotive were saved, many others weren't. 

But before all that happened, Ford was already in trouble.   Some wiz in Finance saw the same writing on the economic wall that I did and mortgaged the entire company right up to the name on the door before the crap hit the fan.  It wasn't by some miracle of management or superior vehicle design. It all came down to reading the tea leaves before a major storm.

If anything, because of all the debt they took on, Ford is now behind their Detroit competition in many ways. They need to address that debt in order to catch up. They got their bailout... and they are still being bailed out by those giant loans they took. 

This really isn't the sign of a healthy company....

2018-08-13_11-36-45.png

• Upvote 1

So true, FORD is in many ways worse today as they still have a ton of Union pension debt obligation that GM and Chrysler do not have. I honestly think it would have been best for Ford to go the Route that GM did.

Oh I know they needed cash and they took care of it. My point was just that "ford would be dead if..." Well, the whole D3 would be dead "if" not for *insert a any one of a few things here*. 

I know it wasn't some miracle of management but foreseeing a sh!tstorm and preparing for it vs not preparing for it is usually preferred. 

Ford absolutely is in a worse way today because they're paying off loans. 

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

Oh I know they needed cash and they took care of it. My point was just that "ford would be dead if..." Well, the whole D3 would be dead "if" not for *insert a any one of a few things here*. 

I know it wasn't some miracle of management but foreseeing a sh!tstorm and preparing for it vs not preparing for it is usually preferred. 

Ford absolutely is in a worse way today because they're paying off loans. 

I think the point that @dfelt and @A Horse With No Name are making is that the F-150 and Mustang are, until very recently, the only things holding FMC together.  I would argue that the Explorer, Edge, Navigator, and Escape, and MKC are pulling their weight as well, but otherwise largely agree with the sentiment. 

• Upvote 1

I think these trucks are very nice though but I think even with all this tech the gains are quite incremental. Did anyone notice how to meet the efficiency standards trucks are made bigger and bigger!!

8 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

I think these trucks are very nice though but I think even with all this tech the gains are quite incremental. Did anyone notice how to meet the efficiency standards trucks are made bigger and bigger!!

That is because.. TA DAAAHHH... the "efficiency standards" do not obey the fundamental law of physics.  Yet the madness goes on, and when someone tries to come back to earth, the loons cry.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 134 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      The Dodge Challenger has been enjoying a resurgence for the past couple of years, due in part to the supercharged variants known as the Hellcat and Demon. But Fiat Chrysler CEO Mike Manley tells the Detroit News, the next-generation Challenger will be quite different.
      "The reality is those platforms and that technology we used does need to move on. They can’t exist as you get into the middle-2020s. New technology is going to drive a load of weight out, so we can think of the powertrains in a different way. And we can use electrification to really supplement those vehicles," said Manley.
      "I think that electrification will certainly be part of the formula that says what is American muscle in the future. What it isn’t going to be is a V-8, supercharged, 700-horsepower engine."
      It is unclear what is in store for the next-generation Challenger. We previously reported that the model would move to the Giorgio platform - what underpins the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio. But last year, a story came out that next-generation Challenger and Charger would use a heavily re-worked version of the current LX platform - one that can trace its roots back to Mercedes-Benz models from the 1990s.
      As for possible engines, we wouldn't be surprised if the 2.0L turbo-four found in the Jeep Wrangler becomes available in the next-generation Challenger. There is also the rumor of a new inline-six taking the place of the current Pentastar V6, which we would assume could get some form of electrification. But Kelly Blue Book analyst Karl Brauer is skeptical about muscle cars and electrification co-existing.
      "There's a long-standing rule about what constitutes American muscle, but electrification is not part of it. I need something that gets my blood pumping," said Brauer.
      "The Challenger is now challenging the Mustang for sales primacy with a V-8. Who would have thought that? In terms of sales, the supercharged V-8s have worked well."
      We're guessing that FCA will be keeping some sort of V8 option, possibly one with some sort of electric boost.
      Source: The Detroit News
    • By William Maley
      For almost two decades, Cadillac has been undergoing a transformation of sorts to become a threat to likes of BMW and Mercedes-Benz. The various models and changes have been met with mixed reactions. But the latest move to make Cadillac the lead brand in General Motors' electric car offensive marks a big change. According to an executive, this is the brand's last chance at success.
      “We don’t have any chances left with taking Cadillac to a really new place. This is pretty much it,” said GM President Mark Reuss to Reuters.
      “So we really have to hit the ball here. It’s my job to make sure we do.”
      Cadillac previewed their first EV on Sunday night during the press preview of the XT6 crossover. No name was given, but the model appears to be a small or midsize crossover. It will be the first vehicle to use GM's dedicated BEV3 platform that has been designed to underpin various types of vehicles and drivetrain layouts. 
      When asked how long it would take for Cadillac to transition to an all-electric lineup, Reuss said it is too early to tell. He expects a combination of electrified and combustion engine models “for quite a few years” in the lineup.
      Reuss did not elaborate what would happen if the transition to electric faltered.
      “All I’m focused on is what we’re doing right now…” Reuss said, “and getting momentum back in Cadillac.”

View full article
    • By William Maley
      For almost two decades, Cadillac has been undergoing a transformation of sorts to become a threat to likes of BMW and Mercedes-Benz. The various models and changes have been met with mixed reactions. But the latest move to make Cadillac the lead brand in General Motors' electric car offensive marks a big change. According to an executive, this is the brand's last chance at success.
      “We don’t have any chances left with taking Cadillac to a really new place. This is pretty much it,” said GM President Mark Reuss to Reuters.
      “So we really have to hit the ball here. It’s my job to make sure we do.”
      Cadillac previewed their first EV on Sunday night during the press preview of the XT6 crossover. No name was given, but the model appears to be a small or midsize crossover. It will be the first vehicle to use GM's dedicated BEV3 platform that has been designed to underpin various types of vehicles and drivetrain layouts. 
      When asked how long it would take for Cadillac to transition to an all-electric lineup, Reuss said it is too early to tell. He expects a combination of electrified and combustion engine models “for quite a few years” in the lineup.
      Reuss did not elaborate what would happen if the transition to electric faltered.
      “All I’m focused on is what we’re doing right now…” Reuss said, “and getting momentum back in Cadillac.”
    • By William Maley
      Genesis has been building itself up as a competitor to the likes of the German luxury brands, for much lower prices. But it is still missing a few items, like having some sort of crossover or SUV - something that will be launching in the coming year or so. The brand is lacking a performance variant to take on the likes of BMW's M and Mercedes' AMG. However, a comment made by Hyundai product planner Mike O’Brien hints they're looking into it.
      "A big effort with the G70 was thermal management, to make sure that this car will hold u. We're building for the future. I'll just say that," said O'Brien to Road & Track.
      Proper thermal management is something essential for new vehicles, but you don't normally hear an automaker talk about it except when it comes to high-performance models. This becomes more intriguing when you take into account that Albert Biermann, now the head of Hyundai's r&d division, worked previously at BMW's M division.
      More from Road & Track:
      The comment about possibly badging it as a N model is also interesting. We have reported previously that Genesis has no plans on doing a N, so it hints that Genesis may come up with its own branding for a performance model.
      Source: Road & Track

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Genesis has been building itself up as a competitor to the likes of the German luxury brands, for much lower prices. But it is still missing a few items, like having some sort of crossover or SUV - something that will be launching in the coming year or so. The brand is lacking a performance variant to take on the likes of BMW's M and Mercedes' AMG. However, a comment made by Hyundai product planner Mike O’Brien hints they're looking into it.
      "A big effort with the G70 was thermal management, to make sure that this car will hold u. We're building for the future. I'll just say that," said O'Brien to Road & Track.
      Proper thermal management is something essential for new vehicles, but you don't normally hear an automaker talk about it except when it comes to high-performance models. This becomes more intriguing when you take into account that Albert Biermann, now the head of Hyundai's r&d division, worked previously at BMW's M division.
      More from Road & Track:
      The comment about possibly badging it as a N model is also interesting. We have reported previously that Genesis has no plans on doing a N, so it hints that Genesis may come up with its own branding for a performance model.
      Source: Road & Track
  • My Clubs