2019 Cadillac XT4 showroom impression

Cadillac dealer had a couple new XT4's!  Couldn't drive, and the particular ones they had were more pricey.  But I sat in the one and got some pics.

I like that it has back some of the Art and Science Edginess and more youthful swagger to it.

The cabin in the front row is a very nice width for a compact, the seats way very comfy, and the ergonomics of the screen, wheel, shifter, and especially the selector wheel for the screen were very well thought out.

Rear leg room depends on how the front seat is set.  For a 'compact' its adequate space.  But the rear row has a short seat back, and if the front seat is back far, then leg room for taller folks is tight.  Rear backrest i don't think reclines either.  Overall i would say for driver and passenger there is not really space issues.

Cargo hold is small, but your impression of the size of the cargo area is consistent with the published cargo area numbers.

This is a nice size vehicle for a single person, empty nester, urbanites, people who don't need or want too huge a vehicle to park.  I anticipate it will be a nice drive.

Looking in and out the vehicle seems pretty nice.

Kinda seems to make the XT5 feel moldy and crusty.

Edited by regfootball
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Hmmm... I took a sip of the Kool-Aid when the rear seat legroom CGI was shown and we sawr the published measurements.  In realtime photos it looks rather tiny back there.  Also the interior... BLACK MUCH?

At least other interior colors are fairly available   The sense of black wasn’t overly overwhelming   So many cars are all black inside these days (that was why I was so glad to take another regal sportback test drive with the tan interior yesterday!)  the black inside the XT4 is more like a ‘really dark gray’  

the rear seat with the front in ghetto style for large me, was tight in the back. When I readjusted the front seat for a normal person or a chica I had pretty good knee clearance for fat ass me. 

Its larger than an encore in the back. Larger than an ATS.  Maybe even comparable to the CTS.  Tighter for leg room and a more upright backrest than a Terrain. Width wise I think it feels wider than an Equinox. I think the CGI’s and legroom numbers may be a bit misleading. It’s probably more comfy than an Escape in the back. Not sure about how it compares to say, a Jeep Compass. 

This would be a cool ocnblu ride though. Lots of swagger. 

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 3

Can’t overstate the great ergonomics of the wheel, gauges, screen and shifter etc. the rotary switch for cue falls right to hand and makes screen selections easy Peazy. Screen operates lightning fast.  Particularly when using the rotary wheel. GM is definitely on to something with dropping the gauges and screen lower and tilted a bit towards horizontal. And closer to the driver. 

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 1

Stopped in to the local Cadillac dealer today.  Sad sight, if only for the fact the lot is so yuge and their inventory seems paltry in comparison.  No XT4s on the lot.  Plenty of XT5s though, and up close they are really nice vehicles.  The CT6 is an imposing dreadnought as it should be.  They had a blue ATS-V coupe with a million dollar discount tag hanging from the inside meer.  Still can't afford it.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Only 2Q:  how many will sell and will it outsell the XT5 (this year)?

I seriously don;t understand what U are saying. We are in Q4... are U suggesting that the XT4 will sell more than the XT5 in a matter of 2 months? Either way.,.. I'd expect that its numbers would run similar by proportion to the RDX vs MDX or GLC vs GLE

• Agree 1

What if that high output 4 is the 2.7L Turbo with 310hp/350lb of trque? Personally I think that's enough.. especially if the goal is to contend with the Germans.. including the Macan. Even better would be what I've read to be a possibility.. an EV coupled to that engine or 2.0L. Instant torque. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

A turbo 4 would be sufficient, I think...these aren't vehicles for enthusiasts, just lease appliances. 

Well.. I can tell U that after having an XT5 for 2 days last week it runs very well with the 310HP 3.6L, but.. had it been packing the 3.0L TT or 3.6L TT I would have been all grins. That being said.. if the XT4 has the 4 Turbo in it.. I would like it to be the 2.7L or an EV coupled 2.0L. If Cadillac does see it as cool.. and goes with a TT V6.. who's gonna be upset? My issue with Cadillac in general is that the only REAL all encompassing engine line up resides in the CTS and now CT6.. the rest of the line up is simply incomplete. Think about it... 

CT6 has 2.0L 270HP; 3.6L 335hp; 3.60LTT 404hp; 4.2LTT 550HP; Hybrid that is a PERFECT engine line-up..

CTS has 2.0L 270HP; 3.6L 335hp; 3.6LTT 420hp; 6.2LSC 640hp.. that is a PERFECT engine line-up.. only missing the hybrid or EV

ATS had a nice line up.. with exception to the buyer not being able to opt for a LT1 V8 instead of the LF4 TTV6. 

Why can't these be the choices avail for all of their vehicles. Even the Escalade in some capacity, not necessarily these particular engines?

19 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

I seriously don;t understand what U are saying. We are in Q4... are U suggesting that the XT4 will sell more than the XT5 in a matter of 2 months? Either way.,.. I'd expect that its numbers would run similar by proportion to the RDX vs MDX or GLC vs GLE

Q1: How many XT4s will sell this model year?

Q2: Will it outsell the XT5 this model year?

btw: how well is the GLC selling compared to the GLE as of now?

10 hours ago, ocnblu said:

?  The 2.7t is a truck engine, longitudinally oriented.  Do you think they'll spend the money necessary to turn it sideways and tune it for a Cadillac CUV?  :huh:

Yes... the goal for all of GM is to consolidate platforms as well as powertrains to work thru out. With Cadillac the profit is there to justify the cost

On 10/21/2018 at 9:56 AM, Cmicasa the Great said:

What if that high output 4 is the 2.7L Turbo with 310hp/350lb of trque? Personally I think that's enough.. especially if the goal is to contend with the Germans.. including the Macan. Even better would be what I've read to be a possibility.. an EV coupled to that engine or 2.0L. Instant torque. 

Isn't the 2.7 liter made for rear drive applications?   My guess is they just dial up the boost on the 2.0 turbo, especially with the displacement tax in China over 2 liters.  Some sort of electrification would be the way to go, but I feel like that will get killed buy the bean counters due to cost, even though it is freaking Cadillac and they shouldn't be worried about cost.  These are the people that thought $5 for a CT6 door handle was too much cost.

And they better bring more than 310 hp if they want to compete with the Germans, more like 400 hp.

On 10/21/2018 at 8:31 PM, ocnblu said:

?  The 2.7t is a truck engine, longitudinally oriented.  Do you think they'll spend the money necessary to turn it sideways and tune it for a Cadillac CUV?  :huh:

Nope.

• Agree 2

55 minutes ago, balthazar said:

He's 18-20, she's 38. What do they talk about?

Screen Shot 2018-10-23 at 10.53.03 PM.png

Who needs to talk, she is freakin hot and I would not be wasting words on a hot woman like her! 😛

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

i'd say that 38 for the hips is about right.  maybe even 40.

age wise, i would say more 36 than 38.

but HE is just a pup

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

they talk about whether the V series version will be a 4 pot or a 6.

this image is just dying for a MEME ya know

"I am devastated that Cadillac moved their world headquarters from New York City back to Detroit"

Edited by regfootball

On 10/22/2018 at 9:52 PM, smk4565 said:

Isn't the 2.7 liter made for rear drive applications?   My guess is they just dial up the boost on the 2.0 turbo, especially with the displacement tax in China over 2 liters.  Some sort of electrification would be the way to go, but I feel like that will get killed buy the bean counters due to cost, even though it is freaking Cadillac and they shouldn't be worried about cost.  These are the people that thought $5 for a CT6 door handle was too much cost.

And they better bring more than 310 hp if they want to compete with the Germans, more like 400 hp.

the 2.0L thing is a strong vote.. and I still keep seeing things about it being coupled to a EV motor for more power and efficiency. They are apparently working on that for even the Camaro as well. 

To the $5 door handles.. whatever the situation was.. the door handles on the CTS, CT6, Escalade, XT5, XTS.. are fuckin sweet. The cool factor is evident every time I unlock my ride and people swoon around that basic shit like "How did they do that?" Too Bad I may be without a Cadillac for about a year.. as I see the intro of the CT5 as a reason why my CTS-V value will drop and I'm considering selling it within a few months. That being said.. my next Caddy will probably be the CT6-V around end of the summer of '19.. and when I hit 150K miles on the Yukon,.. the 2020 or 2021 Escalade

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2018-10-23 at 10.53.03 PM copy.png

I joke with U not.. she is gorgeous.. perfect, no matter what age she is. If she is GenX.. I will point out yet another time that my Generation is the youngest looking generation above 35 I've ever seen. Baby Boomers and Greatest Gens looked 50 even when they were 20 LOL... Hell.. there is this chick on James Franco's HBO "The Deuce" who plays an 22 year old... and she's fuckin 40. At one point I was watching the show just to see here LOL.. now I watch it cause its an absolutely great show

2017_the_deuce_4.jpg

the-blacklist-02.jpg?w=450&w=1000&c=sc&p

To be fair; I'm NOT knocking the XT4 woman, she's very attractive. WRT Levieva ('The Deuce' woman above,) I see she's actually 38, but yes- she looks notably younger. Helps she was a competitive gymnast prior to; she's in great shape (and doesn't have mom thighs ;) ). Boils down to genes tho; Maggie Gyllenhaal (same show) is 40 but could be 50 by looks; they're only 2 years apart.

Screen Shot 2018-10-24 at 9.16.02 AM.png

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 1

The angle of that screen looks awkward.. I'd definitely need to see and fiddle with that in person. 

Good little write up! 

I always forget what size this is compared to.. Is this like a CRV/Escape/'Nox sized vehicle or is it really smal like a GLA/X1? It doesn't look tiny so my assumptions are CRV/Escape/'Nox. 

On 10/22/2018 at 9:23 AM, Drew Dowdell said:

I think it's probably too long to fit in the relatively narrow XT4.... don't expect to see the 2.7T in there.  Expect either a hot 2.0T, something like an ecotech based 2.3-4ish turbo or a V6. 

That's what I would expect. They made it pretty clear the 2.7T was a truck engine and it would be awkward to then throw it in a Cadillac CUV after saying that. 

15 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

The angle of that screen looks awkward.. I'd definitely need to see and fiddle with that in person. 

Good little write up! 

I always forget what size this is compared to.. Is this like a CRV/Escape/'Nox sized vehicle or is it really smal like a GLA/X1? It doesn't look tiny so my assumptions are CRV/Escape/'Nox. 

It looks tiny in photos because of the short rear, but it's a couple inches longer than the Escape, slightly smaller than the Equinox. 

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Love Korea's take on Cadillac advertising. Course this 40 year old model does not look it at all.

She's a hottie, but is 28 according to Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choi_Soo-young

1 minute ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

She's a hottie, but is 28 according to Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choi_Soo-young

Weird, course I was looking on the Korean Drama web site, so I could have also misread her age. Course being an american web site Wiki has her age wrong as Koreans count from Zygot creation and so when you are born you are already 1 year old. So she would be 29. :P 

13 hours ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2018-10-23 at 10.53.03 PM copy.png

Bravo!  Next time be sure to use ‘impact’ font, though. 

4 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

I joke with U not.. she is gorgeous.. perfect, no matter what age she is. If she is GenX.. I will point out yet another time that my Generation is the youngest looking generation above 35 I've ever seen. Baby Boomers and Greatest Gens looked 50 even when they were 20 LOL... Hell.. there is this chick on James Franco's HBO "The Deuce" who plays an 22 year old... and she's fuckin 40. At one point I was watching the show just to see here LOL.. now I watch it cause its an absolutely great show

2017_the_deuce_4.jpg

the-blacklist-02.jpg?w=450&w=1000&c=sc&p

No, you are correct. She is very beautiful and perfect in that way.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, balthazar said:

To be fair; I'm NOT knocking the XT4 woman, she's very attractive. WRT Levieva ('The Deuce' woman above,) I see she's actually 38, but yes- she looks notably younger. Helps she was a competitive gymnast prior to; she's in great shape (and doesn't have mom thighs ;) ). Boils down to genes tho; Maggie Gyllenhaal (same show) is 40 but could be 50 by looks; they're only 2 years apart.

Screen Shot 2018-10-24 at 9.16.02 AM.png

No doubt.. I thought the same thing back in '08 when she was in the Dark Knight. Its those big ass floppy eyes.. her and her crazy looking brother

• Agree 1

On 9/23/2018 at 9:37 AM, regfootball said:

Can’t overstate the great ergonomics of the wheel, gauges, screen and shifter etc. the rotary switch for cue falls right to hand and makes screen selections easy Peazy. Screen operates lightning fast.  Particularly when using the rotary wheel. GM is definitely on to something with dropping the gauges and screen lower and tilted a bit towards horizontal. And closer to the driver. 

It does come across as very driver focussed and used friendly.

Also...you have to love c and g. GM drops half a billion dollars to develop a new product and one page in we have lost interest in the vehicle and are talking about not women. Granted the women in question look better from behind than the caddy...

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Big how big is the back seat? It's trash if I can't fit an NBA player behind another NBA player. Fckn TRASH. 

Poor CCAP41, did you forget your meds this morning? Where did this come from since we were not even talking about the back seat which I admit, I doubt I will fit in.