Alternative Fuels & Propulsion RANDOM

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Fake News! :P 

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:
GM BEV3 Platform Applications
Vehicle Model Code Intro Model Year Assembly Facility 1 Assembly Facility 2
Cruise Origin TBD 2023 (expected) GM Detroit-Hamtramck -
Cadillac Lyriq TBD 2023 GM Detroit-Hamtramck Jinqiao Cadillac (expected)
Cadillac Optiq TBD
Cadillac Symboliq TBD
Cadillac Celestiq TBD 2024 (expected) GM Detroit-Hamtramck -
Buick small crossover TBD 2023 (expected) GM Detroit-Hamtramck -
Buick midsize crossover TBD 2024 (expected) GM Detroit-Hamtramck -
Chevrolet midsize crossover TBD 2024 (expected) GM Detroit-Hamtramck -
Chevrolet light commercial vehicle TBD TBD GM Detroit-Hamtramck -

What Fake news source did you pull this from? Where is the hard GM link on this?

I have posted before the GM released news from their site saying the BOLT EUV was to be on the new BEV3 platform and then BOLT would be updated to it also.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, David said:

I have posted before the GM released news from their site saying the BOLT EUV was to be on the new BEV3 platform and then BOLT would be updated to it also.

That came from GM Authority (who got it from GM), but that is not where I read it before.  I didn't feel like scouring the interwebs for the exact article, it was from somewhere like Motor Trend or Car & Driver, I forget now.  I still do not see in the GM Media press release you linked any specific information stating the Bolt or EUV are moving to BEV3.

Also, the Asian kid who rendered the EUV for his video looks pretty darn close to GM's own shadowy profile video, AND spy videos of the car in motion under cladding (showing its stance/relation to the road, it's still low and shaped like a square bubble).  So far, the EUV looks like a slightly plump, minor update on the current Bolt, which is to say, a tall hatchback more so than what ppl consider a CUV, let alone an SUV.  The interior preview photo from GM at least holds promise for those averse to white dash trim.

Edited by ocnblu
  • Disagree 1

10 hours ago, David said:

With that we also have the first look of the all new Headlights that will be on the 2022 BOLT EUV.

Dude those are turn signals, not headlights.  It will have low, single element headlights like the Trailblazer.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, David said:

While normally I would agree with you as Ford did not include a spare tire, they have the air compressor there, charging cord and other accessories, so the space is used differently. Both have the dual floor height and the same adjustable covers, etc. Just the EV has what seems to be a better laid out storage area IMHO.

@ykX @Robert Hall In the picture comparison above, you can see that the Escape opening is noticeably smaller than the Mach-E opening. Sides of the storage area are also straight on the Mach-E compared to the Escape all leading to the Mach-E seeming to hold the luggage more efficiently I think.

That stuff doesn't take up nearly the space a spare wheel with a jack take up. Nowhere close. 

Mach-E.JPG

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Like, say, the millions of people living in densely populated cities that have to use public charging or even if their parking complex has chargers, you'd be on some rotation or hope you get an open one when you need juice. 

Maybe he should just skip the part where people who live with their “auntie” probably cant afford an EV in the first place. It should be noted that public chargers are popping up at various apartment complexes around the country but shhhh, trolls don’t need to know that. It won’t do them any good anyway lol.

Trolls being trolls. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, ocnblu said:

The Bolt and EUV are not on a new platform.  They are updates of Bolt's current platform.

The GM Authority source is almost two years old.

15 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Cautionary Note on Forward-Looking Statements:  This press release contains forward-looking statements that represent our current judgment about possible future events. In making these statements we rely on assumptions and analysis based on our experience and perception of historical trends, current conditions and expected future developments as well as other factors we consider appropriate under the circumstances. We believe these judgments are reasonable, but these statements are not guarantees of any events or financial results, and our actual results may differ materially due to a variety of important factors, both positive and negative.

The Cruise Origin, a self-driving, electric shared vehicle, shown to the public in January 2020 in San Francisco, was the first product revealed using GM’s third generation EV platform and Ultium batteries. Next will be the Cadillac Lyriq luxury SUV in April. Details about its launch will be shared then. The reveal of the Ultium-powered GMC HUMMER EV will follow on May 20. Production is expected to begin in Fall 2021 at GM’s Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plant, GM’s first assembly plant 100 percent dedicated to EV production.

I don't see anything in this linked article specifically stating the Bolt or EUV are moving to the Ultium platform, but I did read an earlier article stating they are updates of the current Bolt platform.

That is the only correct statement you have made on this entire thread. Bravo!

@David—He is right but really doesn’t change anything with him so its not worth arguing over when his only mission here is to troll and whine when things don’t go his way.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

12 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Maybe he should just skip the part where people who live with their “auntie” probably cant afford an EV in the first place. It should be noted that public chargers are popping up at various apartment complexes around the country but shhhh, trolls don’t need to know that. It won’t do them any good anyway lol.

Trolls being trolls. 

Here is a map of available public chargers in Brooklyn, NYC.  Just for the reference the population of Brooklyn in 2018 was 2.6 million people.

image.png.37154a9007feda65f0fb6eb472ac30d5.png

This is Queens, NYC, population 2.3 million

image.png.0a76c64e4d295e5b30ff354fd2b229c6.png

Ironically Manhattan is full of them, but it is the place where the least people own cars to begin with and it is extremely easy to get anywhere in a subway.

image.png.35c7d60b050a7848910e5de690e564a3.png

Edited by ykX
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Both Bolts will go into production in summer 2021 as 2022 models. Based on the same platform as the Bolt EV (which was introduced in 2017), the EUV and Bolt EV will not have GM's latest, BEV3 platform that under-girds the Lyriq and Hummer. That platform features the 300-plus mile range Ultium battery.Aug 26, 2020 - DETROIT NEWS

The Bolt EUV has been designed around GM's BEV2 dedicated EV platform that debuted in the Bolt EV, meaning the range should come close to matching the Bolt EV's 259 miles. The Bolt EV's single electric motor at the front will be common to the Bolt EUV. - November 10th, 2020 - Motor Authority

2022-chevrolet-bolt-euv-spy-shots--photo-credits-baldauf-sb-medien_100753806_h.jpg

• Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Both Bolts will go into production in summer 2021 as 2022 models. Based on the same platform as the Bolt EV (which was introduced in 2017), the EUV and Bolt EV will not have GM's latest, BEV3 platform that under-girds the Lyriq and Hummer. That platform features the 300-plus mile range Ultium battery.Aug 26, 2020 - DETROIT NEWS

The Bolt EUV has been designed around GM's BEV2 dedicated EV platform that debuted in the Bolt EV, meaning the range should come close to matching the Bolt EV's 259 miles. The Bolt EV's single electric motor at the front will be common to the Bolt EUV. - November 10th, 2020 - Motor Authority

2022-chevrolet-bolt-euv-spy-shots--photo-credits-baldauf-sb-medien_100753806_h.jpg

The disguised prototype looks like the same dumpy thingy in the rendering video from China. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Robert Hall said:

The disguised prototype looks like the same dumpy thingy in the rendering video from China. 

Yes it does.  The kid did an amazing job morphing GM's own dark silhouette teaser photo with the cladded spy shots.  So the rendering is pretty darn spot-on, despite David proclaiming "fake news!"

I've always defended the Bolt as the friendliest EV on the market, even though it is expensive and does not sell worth a crap.

BUT... based on all these accounts, and if it does not offer AWD, the Bolt EUV will not expand on the original Bolt formula enough to warrant its existence.

The hope that GM can hit a home run with their EV's in this Brave New World does not get brighter, I'm afraid.

And I was going to get myself one, too.  Dang it.

• Haha 1
  • Disagree 1

I hate those inflation kits.  First of all the foam will be all over the tire and wheel.  But most importantly what if you have a sidewall rip, something that can not be fixed with foam (actually happened to my wife recently).

Wait for hours for towing?  What if you in the middle of nowhere?

Edited by ykX
  • Agree 2

23 minutes ago, ykX said:

I hate those inflation kits.  First of all the foam will be all over the tire and wheel.  But most importantly what if you have a sidewall rip, something that can not be fixed with foam (actually happened to my wife recently).

Wait for hours for towing?  What if you in the middle of nowhere?

100% agree. I'm very fortunate that if I did get a flat, I have an actual spare to put on for the time being. I also check the pressure once a year because those lose air as well and most forget about it. 

You'd be surprised how often somebody gets a flat and go to put on their spare and it's flat as well but it's a negligence issue, not the tire blowing out. 

• Agree 1

I don't think I've ever had a vehicle without a full size spare.   I need to see what my Jeep has, don't recall looking at the spare except when I was doing the walk-around w/ the salesman almost 4 years ago.

25 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I don't think I've ever had a vehicle without a full size spare.   I need to see what my Jeep has, don't recall looking at the spare except when I was doing the walk-around w/ the salesman almost 4 years ago.

Haha I don't think I've had a vehicle with a full size spare, only donuts for me! I'd still take a donut every single day over a can of "fix-a-flat" and an air pump. I can buy and store those in my vehicle if I want, I can't just buy and store a spare wheel/tire unless the vehicle had a space designed to store it. 

Interesting story on the NHTSA write ups on Tesla and their poor fit n finish. The pictures are amazing as while Tesla has been known for their power trains and battery tech, their suspension along with everything else is very poor quality based on the images and complaints.

These Repair Bulletins for Tesla's Quality Problems Are Downright Embarrassing—and Serious (thedrive.com)

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, David said:

Interesting story on the NHTSA write ups on Tesla and their poor fit n finish. The pictures are amazing as while Tesla has been known for their power trains and battery tech, their suspension along with everything else is very poor quality based on the images and complaints.

These Repair Bulletins for Tesla's Quality Problems Are Downright Embarrassing—and Serious (thedrive.com)

That's just amazing... 

• Agree 1

Latest EV News

Mercedes-Benz EQS Luxury EV car will have a full-dash Hyperscreen Interface. Considering that there are NO BUTTONS, touch screen dash, one has to wonder how expensive this will cost to repair / replace when a pixel goes out, area stops responding, etc.

Cool Tech, but WOW, big single plane of glass for an interface is crazy IMHO.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Mercedes-Benz EQS electric luxury car will debut full-dash Hyperscreen interface (greencarreports.com)

Another state joins the ICE ban mandate. Massachusetts has stated new ICE auto's will not be allowed for sale starting in 2035. This will help the state meet their 2050 Decarbonization Road Map.

Massachusetts is the 3rd state following New Jersey who also set 2035 as the last year for new ICE auto sales in the state which is also following California with their 2035 ban of all ICE related new auto's.

Mass. to require all new cars sold to be electric by 2035 as part of climate-change measures - The Boston Globe

Massachusetts to Ban Sale of New Gas-Powered Cars by 2035 (caranddriver.com)

• Haha 2

Cadillac EV News

Cadillac released today the first actual info and images of the new LYRIQ interior dash and WOW very Luxurious! 33 inch display, Next generation HUD. People will get even more details and a look at the actual interior dash display at this January 2021 CES Show which last I checked is a virtual online show.

Cadillac-LYRIQ-002.jpg

Cadillac-LYRIQ-001.jpg

Cadillac Looks Outside Automotive Industry to Deliver Next-Generation User Experience

To quote the Cadillac Press Release at the link above: Visit GMExhibitZero.com starting Jan. 12 to learn more about Cadillac’s next generation displays.

7 minutes ago, David said:

Massachusetts is the 3rd state following New Jersey who also set 2035

NJ didn't ban ICE by 2035.  They were considering it but for now implemented a much more reasonable goal of 80% reduction of emissions by 2050.

• Thanks 1

According to the Electrek web site, the Cadillac Lyriq will start at less than $60,000 as a luxury SUV to compete against Tesla.

Cadillac unveils Lyriq electric crossover’s infotainment system as new EVs aim to compete with Tesla UX (electrek.co)

I have to wonder if they mean $59,995 which is pretty common for GM to use to say they are underneath a certain price point.

Reality, I expect this to be in the high $60,000's to a more common mid $70,000 range.

3 minutes ago, ykX said:

NJ didn't ban ICE by 2035.  They were considering it but for now implemented a much more reasonable goal of 80% reduction of emissions by 2050.

Thanks for that info, what I found was what I posted on, did not see any articles about New Jersey going with an implementation goal of emissions reduction as my searches showed it joined California in that ban mandate.

Did finally find this news story that correlates with you about the 80% reduction and that they are looking to still ban new ice auto sales by 2035. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Will New Jersey be next to place a ban on gas vehicles? | EVANNEX Aftermarket Tesla Accessories

10 minutes ago, David said:

Cadillac released today the first actual info and images of the new LYRIQ interior dash and WOW very Luxurious! 33 inch display, Next generation HUD. People will get even more details and a look at the actual interior dash display at this January 2021 CES Show which last I checked is a virtual online show.

25 minutes ago, David said:

Considering that there are NO BUTTONS, touch screen dash, one has to wonder how expensive this will cost to repair / replace when a pixel goes out, area stops responding, etc.

Interesting how in two nearly consecutive posts you can feel the brand bias. 

Cadillac = Luxurious!

Mercedes = Worried about cost repairs

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Cadillac = Luxurious!

Mercedes is well known for buggy electronics and costly repairs, probably worse than Cadillac. 

• Agree 3

16 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Cadillac = Luxurious!

Easy, considering how we all have complained at one time or another about the lack of Cadillac Luxury, it is nice and to be pointed out that they themselves is talking about it which has not happened in the past and so is looking to return to a true luxury competitor.

Mercedes Benz has and always still seems to be buggy in electronics and expensive to repair. Example is that my Escalade head light to replace is $500 but Mercedes SUV is $1,500. That is a big difference for an SUV that is half the size and to me questionable quality over my Escalade that has been rock solid for the last 14 years.

Two different posts, two different things to talk about, I did not pull them together and do not see it as a Bias, just pointing out what I see.

Pretty much everyone here has talked about how BMW and MB are lease appliances due to cost of repairs after going off warranty. 

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, David said:

Mercedes Benz has and always still seems to be buggy in electronics and expensive to repair. Example is that my Escalade head light to replace is $500 but Mercedes SUV is $1,500. That is a big difference for an SUV that is half the size and to me questionable quality over my Escalade that has been rock solid for the last 14 years.

Did you forget about CUE? 

Same generation compared to your Escalade(I looked up a 2007 GL450), OE part, NOT $1500, even the curve illumination ones.

GL Headlight.JPG

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Same generation compared to your Escalade(I looked up a 2007 GL450), OE part, NOT $1500, even the curve illumination ones.

GL Headlight.JPG

People normally aren't replacing headlight assemblies, though....bulbs, yes.  But the whole assembly, that's usually an insurance item after an accident.  

5 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

It's futuristic to be sure, but not as luxurious, imo as this, this thing is THE BOMB

JP021_218GC.jpg

I love what I've seen of the new GC interior.  And the optional McIntosh stereo... yum.  Love the wood trim.  Looking forward to seeing the 2 row. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, ccap41 said:

GL Headlight.JPG

So lets put this in perspective as our recently more than quiet MB fan used to talk about the quality of MB years ago and how it was worth $1,500. Back in 2006 when New the MB headlight assembly based on my memory was $1,500 and the Escalade then was $500. Now I look and see that the Escalade headlight assembly for my 2006 is $164 dollars give or take a dollar based on which GM parts web site you look at. 

So the Escalade headlight assembly has dropped by more than 50% over 14 years.

So the MB headlight assembly is still about half price and 3 times more expensive than the Escalade assembly to replace.

Yes you and @Robert Hall are correct that the bulbs are what you replace more often and my HID bulbs for the Escalade as I did just last year replace both to get full brightness back were $90.00 each.

Looking at the GL450 I see they had Xenon lights not HID and as such those bulbs are $86 each.

10 hours ago, David said:

So lets put this in perspective as our recently more than quiet MB fan used to talk about the quality of MB years ago and how it was worth $1,500. Back in 2006 when New the MB headlight assembly based on my memory was $1,500 and the Escalade then was $500. Now I look and see that the Escalade headlight assembly for my 2006 is $164 dollars give or take a dollar based on which GM parts web site you look at. 

So the Escalade headlight assembly has dropped by more than 50% over 14 years.

So the MB headlight assembly is still about half price and 3 times more expensive than the Escalade assembly to replace.

Yes you and @Robert Hall are correct that the bulbs are what you replace more often and my HID bulbs for the Escalade as I did just last year replace both to get full brightness back were $90.00 each.

Looking at the GL450 I see they had Xenon lights not HID and as such those bulbs are $86 each.

Cadillac also didn't even offer curve illumination so if you just look at the standard assembly, they're only $280, which seems reasonable or just a realistic price for an entire OEM headlight assembly, imo.

Xenon are HID and, in fact, a slightly better HID.

Xenon.JPG.1dc11e6c0fd0adb6b730e61f341caabf.JPG

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, balthazar said:

Aren't CUE issues from 1.0, meanwhile Cadillac is currently on like 4.0?

CUE has been pretty trashy the entire time it's been around. It's probably much improved over the first two generations but as far as I can see, they're on 3.0 that was launched in 2017. They've probably moved on to a different acrynom as I don't see "CUE" on their website. 

37 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

And still more reliable than any electronics in a German car.

You must not have owned a German car.