Alternative Fuels & Propulsion RANDOM

3 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

That wouldn't make sense...maybe instead an Equinox-shaped EV at the price of a fully loaded Equinox?   Why would an BEV be cheaper than the equivalent ICE vehicle?

Because they're not as useful as ICE vehicles, so to hoodwink prospects, they need to be cheaper.

• Disagree 3

13 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Why would an BEV be cheaper than the equivalent ICE vehicle?

Well, all along the narrative has been “simpler to build with less components = cheaper”, but we’ve only seen the opposite of that.
BE’s need to drop to no more than a 15% premium over the equivalent IC vehicle. That would mean a kona electric needs to fall from $37K to $23K... to be a unilateral real choice from gas. We’re not going to see a major consumer switch until that happens.
But yeah; it doesn’t necessarily have to be cheaper.

Edited by balthazar
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Ford Mach-E is about the size of the Escape.  No doubt in my mind I would rather have Mach-E, even in the base trim, but not when it is 20k more expensive.

Even comparing fully loaded Escape Titanium AWD vs Mach-E base with AWD the price difference is about $10k ($46k vs $36k)

Edited by ykX

37 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

That wouldn't make sense...maybe instead an Equinox-shaped EV at the price of a fully loaded Equinox?   Why would an BEV be cheaper than the equivalent ICE vehicle?

Supposedly, so we hear from our resident EV pusher, they're so much cheaper and simpler to produce as they're so much simpler. 

18 minutes ago, ykX said:

Ford Mach-E is about the size of the Escape.  No doubt in my mind I would rather have Mach-E, even in the base trim, but not when it is 20k more expensive.

Even comparing fully loaded Escape Titanium AWD vs Mach-E base with AWD the price difference is about $10k ($46k vs $36k)

I'd be curious to know what features each one does or doesn't have at those prices. 

Physically (within a segment), they’re as useful. 
But operationally, BE’s still have disadvantages (lack of public refueling in many areas, inability to ‘carry jerry cans of electrons’, a disproportionate range penalty in extreme cold). 
In a minority of user cases, that would negatively affect user-ability.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Physically (within a segment), they’re as useful. 
But operationally, BE’s still have disadvantages (lack of public refueling in many areas, inability to ‘carry jerry cans of electrons’, a disproportionate range penalty in extreme cold). 
In a minority of user cases, that would negatively affect user-ability.

Again let me know when I can fill my entire gas tank from home on a weekly basis without setting up my own fueling station in my backyard (surely no issues there lol). 

It absolutely amazes me how that one HUGE convenience is missed or basically ignored but yet hey, I can carry a Jerry can full of flammable liquids in my car. Great!

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

gain let me know when I can fill my entire gas tank from home on a weekly basis without setting up my own fueling station in my backyard (surely no issues there lol). 

I'll send you my address.  Send me the money to install a home charging station.  Better yet, let's pretend I don't own my own home, let's say I'm an apartment dweller.  I rent an apartment in a complex.  No wait, I rent from my aunt's neighbor, it's a one-bedroom over his garage.  I park outside.  Or any number of other perfectly normal, but varied, scenarios and living arrangements.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

2 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

I'll send you my address.  Send me the money to install a home charging station.  Better yet, let's pretend I don't own my own home, let's say I'm an apartment dweller.  I rent an apartment in a complex.  No wait, I rent from my aunt's neighbor, it's a one-bedroom over his garage.  I park outside.  Or any number of other perfectly normal, but varied, scenarios and living arrangements.

Like, say, the millions of people living in densely populated cities that have to use public charging or even if their parking complex has chargers, you'd be on some rotation or hope you get an open one when you need juice. 

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, balthazar said:

^ And the above is exactly why I continually say that all the OEM mouthpieces, Gov't schlubs and industry analysts are dead wrong to state that EVs will be even 50% of the market by 2030, and all (domestic) "IC ban by 2030" will fall.

Yet TECHNOLOGY is also why it can and in some countries will succeed. We make technology obsolete every 90 days. Course due to the cost of an Auto, that is not possible, due to the long loans. Yet Technology in EV's does allow updates to happen much faster than in an ICE. As such, improving EV's will happen at a much faster break neck pace than ICE has done.

2030 will be a challenge, 2035 a bit less, 2040 very doable for many, especially smaller countries, 2045 I would expect a majority of 1st and 2nd world countries to have moved to full on EV mode.

Just IMHO.

18 hours ago, balthazar said:

Reading elsewhere that the Nio sedan is going to be revealed Jan 9.

And that there was considerable speculation it would compete with the Tesla Model 3 (theoretical MSRP: $38K). Instead, Nio's president has stated it will compete with the BMW 7-series (MSRP: $87K).

And the pattern continues.

Nio will have two sedans, one that does compete with the Tesla 3 and one that is to be a high end Tesla S or BMW 7-series.

NIO Day is next week, here's what you need to know - Money Midnight

Nio To Launch Two Back-To-Back Sedans In A Challenge To Tesla Model 3 (msn.com)

I think having two sedans in a global auto sales market that hit low and high should work for them.

10 minutes ago, David said:

As such, improving EV's will happen at a much faster break neck pace than ICE has done.

Tesla Model S was revealed in 2012, 9 years ago.  Today it is still on sale without any major changes.  Tesla Model 3, Y and Ford Mach E use same technology as Tesla did almost 10 years ago.  So far I don't see break neck pace of advancement.

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, ykX said:

Funny you mention that as this review from Autoblog of a 2021 Ford Mach-E Luggage test shows the benefits of interior space in the Mach-E over an Escape since they are on the same size wheel base. While the Escape is stated to have 3 cubic feet more space, clearly the design that went into the Mach-E gave it more usable space even though it is rated 3 cubic feet less space than the Escape.

They also compare the Audi E-Tron and others showing how EVs have more usable interior space. Interesting read.

2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Cargo Capacity Tested | Autoblog

Ford Mach-E Luggage fit

image.png

Ford Escape Luggage fit

image.png

22 minutes ago, ykX said:

Tesla Model S was revealed in 2012, 9 years ago.  Today it is still on sale without any major changes.  Tesla Model 3, Y and Ford Mach E use same technology as Tesla did almost 10 years ago.  So far I don't see break neck pace of advancement.

True, but then no competition till this year. I expect the competition to end up pushing Tesla into much faster updates of style and hardware. The faster changes will come in software feature changes that allow you to do more.

Tesla has been very fast in changing all software changes in over air updates. Something you cannot say about ICE. The ability to improve battery pack performance, controllers and the EV power train via software updates is huge.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Going from 402 miles of range to 406 miles of range via an over-the-air update is vapor; a non-tangible. Likewise, the O-T-A unlocking of software/hardware already installed is some sort of blackmail scenario. It’s like selling a new car with a code you have to pay a few grand to obtain in order to run the A/C. 

The only real advancement the 10-yr old Model S flagship has shown is significantly improved range, but that has been simply accomplished with more/heavier batteries (and higher pricing), not advancing technology.

2 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Again let me know when I can fill my entire gas tank from home on a weekly basis without setting up my own fueling station in my backyard (surely no issues there lol). 

The existing infrastructure (not to mention the draconian environmental regs) make that unnecessary AND impossible.

56 minutes ago, David said:

While the Escape is stated to have 3 cubic feet more space, clearly the design that went into the Mach-E gave it more usable space even though it is rated 3 cubic feet less space than the Escape.

And as I said before I would take Mach-E over Escape without second thought, just not with the current price difference.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, David said:

Funny you mention that as this review from Autoblog of a 2021 Ford Mach-E Luggage test shows the benefits of interior space in the Mach-E over an Escape since they are on the same size wheel base. While the Escape is stated to have 3 cubic feet more space, clearly the design that went into the Mach-E gave it more usable space even though it is rated 3 cubic feet less space than the Escape.

They also compare the Audi E-Tron and others showing how EVs have more usable interior space. Interesting read.

2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Cargo Capacity Tested | Autoblog

Ford Mach-E Luggage fit

image.png

Ford Escape Luggage fit

image.png

True, but then no competition till this year. I expect the competition to end up pushing Tesla into much faster updates of style and hardware. The faster changes will come in software feature changes that allow you to do more.

Tesla has been very fast in changing all software changes in over air updates. Something you cannot say about ICE. The ability to improve battery pack performance, controllers and the EV power train via software updates is huge.

The Escape has a spare tire and the Mach-E does not.

That's not an EV advantage, that's just the lack of a spare tire. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

Interesting...hadn't thought about comparing a Mach-e to the tiny Escape...I would have thought more of comparing it to the Edge.

It seems Mach-E closer to Escape in size than Edge.  However, probably interior space is closer to the Edge.

I am thinking in 4-5 years if I can pick up used Mach-E for a reasonable price it will make a great commuter car.

Just now, ykX said:

It seems Mach-E closer to Escape in size than Edge.  However, probably interior space is closer to the Edge.

The Mach-e has a 5 inch longer wheelbase than the Edge, and is within 2 inches of the 2 row Edge in length.  The Escape is much smaller.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

The Mach-e has a 5 inch longer wheelbase than the Edge, and is within 2 inches of the 2 row Edge in length.  The Escape is much smaller.

But if you look at interior space dimensions it is much closer to Escape.

In the Autoblog article they also compare it to Escape.

Edited by ykX

8 minutes ago, ykX said:

But if you look at interior space dimensions it much closer to Escape.

In the Autoblog article they also compare it to Escape.

Probably because of the sleeker, sportier shape.. Escape has more cargo space...the Mach-e cargo space is very similar to the e-tron and Macan, which seems to be more the competition for the Mach-e. Mach-e has considerably less cargo space than even the Model-Y, which seems like another target competitor..

Edited by Robert Hall

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

The Escape has a spare tire and the Mach-E does not.

That's not an EV advantage, that's just the lack of a spare tire. 

While normally I would agree with you as Ford did not include a spare tire, they have the air compressor there, charging cord and other accessories, so the space is used differently. Both have the dual floor height and the same adjustable covers, etc. Just the EV has what seems to be a better laid out storage area IMHO.

@ykX @Robert Hall In the picture comparison above, you can see that the Escape opening is noticeably smaller than the Mach-E opening. Sides of the storage area are also straight on the Mach-E compared to the Escape all leading to the Mach-E seeming to hold the luggage more efficiently I think.

4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Sarcasm still has not improved I see!

Seems you started the Year with Flashing your cache memory as you Forget how many times @Drew Dowdell has posted the basics of EV ownership change and how adaptable it can be. 

Clearly Apartment living Tesla Owners are not having a problem planning to use their Tesla Supercharging stations to refill their battery packs. Nor are apartment Nissan Leaf Owners having a problem with finding work or public charging stations. Plenty of people are taking advantage of local electrical rebates and subsidies to install a 220V charger at home or just use the slower 110 recharge option.

If you really want to drive an EV, you will find ways to ensure your auto is charged up. You will embrace change, you will embrace learning 21st century new habits.

I accept that you would rather huff COAL and live in the dark than joining the light of the 21st century.

I am very Thankful that you tested Negative for Covid-19 and hope you do not have to deal with being sick this year as I am really hoping 2021 is better for everyone over 2020.

2 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Any advantage the Mock-er-E has over the Escape cannot be attributed to the fact it is an EV, only to the fact its space is shaped differently.

Wrong again buddy boy!, EVs do not have all the mechanical large stuff taking up space like an ICE auto has. Clearly some differences in the power train that does affect the shape.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, David said:

Wrong again buddy boy!, EVs do not have all the mechanical large stuff taking up space like an ICE auto has. Clearly some differences in the power train that does affect the shape.

I'd assume the Mach-e has a frunk also, since it doesn't have the ICE pack up there, and no floor tunnel for a whirly tube or exhaust..

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

In EV News, some exciting stuff going on:

FISKER

Yes FISKER is planning to go into production with a full size EV Truck in 2023.

We already have the Fisker Ocean EV SUV going into production with a 300 mile range battery pack as base for a starting price of $37,499.

image.png

Fisker CEO Henrik Fisker says currently everyone is taking on the Luxury level in features and price. Fisker wants to give access to EVs to the average person as to why the Fisker Ocean SUV will be priced for the middle income level buyers.

Fisker electric pickup: Super-efficient "radical" truck coming in late 2023? (greencarreports.com)

2 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I'd assume the Mach-e has a frunk also, since it doesn't have the ICE pack up there, and no floor tunnel for a whirly tube or exhaust..

Yes the Mach-E does have a Frunk. Plenty of pictures showing you can Tail Gate out of the Frunk. Something ICE cannot do in this way.

image.png

image.png

Usable Frunk at that since it can hold a full size ICE Chest.

image.png

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 2

More EV News:

European Truck makers have pledged to Phase out internal combustion vehicles by 2040. Diesel / gas will be dead in new auto purchases.

image.png

CEO's of Daimler, Scania, MAN, Volvo, DAF, IVECO and FORD have all signed the Pledge to phase out all combustion engines from new auto purchases by 2040. The focus moving forward will be all R&D dollars spent on Hydrogen, battery tech and clean fuels such as CNG.

Charged EVs | European truck-makers pledge to phase out internal combustion vehicles by 2040 - Charged EVs

I will have to totally agree with the following statement:

QUOTE:

The industry leaders seem to believe that different use scenarios will require different propulsion technologies: battery-electric for inner-city delivery vans, hydrogen for long-distance haulage, and biofuels for short-term reduction of emissions.

“There is no silver bullet,” said Henriksson. “It won’t be that one technology will rule everything, there will be parallel technologies over time. They will come [at] different paces, but if we sit and wait for the perfect technology to emerge, we will burn the planet.”

• Agree 1

LOL since David is touting/linking Autoblog's article, here's Autoblog's photo of Mach-er-E's frunk.  n00bs couldn't figure out how to take all the plastic BS out of it I guess... which begs the question:  do they know how to arrange suitcases?

2021-Ford-Mustang-MachE-luggage-test-frunk.jpg

• Disagree 2

EV news for the State of NY.

NY is starting with $2.5 million to buy EV school buses and $16.4 million to buy EV public buses and charging  infrastructure. This money is coming from the settlement that VW paid to NY under the Diesel gate scandal.

Charged EVs | State of New York announces transit and school bus electrification initiatives - Charged EVs

MOSFETs have been used in auto's, specifically ICE auto's for decades, but they have never had to deal with the power requirements of EVs. Nexperia has now tested and will take to production MOSFETs that can support 1 Billion cycles of high energy use. This will benefit for longer term life both existing ICE auto's but more importantly support the move to EVs where charging cycles and power across a wide range of voltage and temperatures will be needed.

Charged EVs | Nexperia's new AEC-Q101 MOSFETs tested to 1 billion cycles - Charged EVs

• Agree 1

EV Controller News

Already we have seen talk of the Volvo EV's having bi-directional chargers and concepts from Japan and Korea as well as here in the US talking about the ability to have EVs give back to the grid if power was needed. Yet at the end of 2020 we still had single direction Power Controllers.

January 5th 2020 Bel Power Solutions announced their new Bi-Directional on-board charger that will allow auto's hooked up to reverse the flow of power from the battery pack to what ever source is needed. This opens up a wide range of uses for the EVs battery power pack.

image.png

Charged EVs | Bel Power Solutions announces bi-directional on-board charger - Charged EVs

EV Charging News

EVBox Group has announced that even with the Pandemic, they doubled their EV charging stations from 100,000 at the end of 2019 to 200,000 at the end of 2020 and planted 100,000 trees. In Q1 of 2021 EVBox will be listed on the New York Stock Exchange. They have a focus and are on track to have 1 million charge ports up and operational by 2023.

EVBox Group 2020 highlights
EVBox Group platform, Everon, launched its new EV Charge App—a white label mobile app packed with useful features to help businesses attract EV drivers
  • EVBox announced plans to become a public company via a business combination with TPG Pace Beneficial Finance and initial investors BlackRock, Inclusive Capital Partners, Neuberger Berman Funds, and Wellington Management

EVBox Group consolidates its global leadership by reaching the milestone of 200,000 installed charge ports worldwide | EVBox Newsroom

Rivian News

Rivian had in 2019 raised $1.3 billion from Ford, Amazon and Cox Automotive group in funding. In 2020 they raised another $2.5 billion from existing investors and T. Rowe Price. 

Now in 2021, Rivian according to Bloomberg is planning on expanding way beyond their current single factory as they look to be a global player in personal and commercial auto's. What the exact amount is they are looking for is unknown at this time, but the early talks has Rivian valued at $25 Billion dollars. Ford by comparison currently is valued at $33 Billion.

Going to be an interesting year.

Rivian is closing in on more financing at massive $25 billion valuation - Electrek

VW EV News

Due to sell out demand of the VW ID.4 1st Edition SUV for the US market, management has decided to add another batch of this auto for sale. This is VW first Global EV built on their all new MEB platform.

ID.4 Electric SUV will start at $39,995 which will be available starting at the end of 2021 while the 1st edition ID.4 is now shipping to dealers for delivery to the early buyers who had reservations. 1st Edition started at $43,995.

VW also has the ID.5 to 7 comping over the next 18 months.

image.png

VW makes new batch of ID.4 1st Edition electric SUVs for the US - Electrek

VW roadmap: Expect an electric Kombi in 2022, followed by electric mini cars (thedriven.io)

26 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

LOL since David is touting/linking Autoblog's article, here's Autoblog's photo of Mach-er-E's frunk.  n00bs couldn't figure out how to take all the plastic BS out of it I guess... which begs the question:  do they know how to arrange suitcases?

2021-Ford-Mustang-MachE-luggage-test-frunk.jpg

As they say, Common Sense is NOT SO COMMON as I see in your own posts.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Probably because of the sleeker, sportier shape.. Escape has more cargo space...the Mach-e cargo space is very similar to the e-tron and Macan, which seems to be more the competition for the Mach-e. Mach-e has considerably less cargo space than even the Model-Y, which seems like another target competitor..

So the Mach-e has 29.7 ft³/59.7 ft³ of cargo space...to compare to what I know, a WK2 GC has 36.3 ft³/68.3 ft³ of cargo space.  Only on a couple of occasions has that been too small for me.

1 minute ago, balthazar said:

Hey- that’s the same thing Elon said! Let’s see one of them actually do it.

It seems like no one yet has hit on the magic formula to make a profitable EV for $30k or less.  There are more under $40k coming, though...like the VW id.4. 

• Agree 4

Just now, oldshurst442 said:

Wont happen with either Tesla not Fisker.

It will be a FoMoCo, GM, Toyota, VW that will give the masses an EV that they could afford. 

Since Toyota has so long been on the Hybrid bandwagon (with some diversion to fuel cells), I wonder when they will get on the BEV bandwagon?  A Rav4 BEV w/ good price and range could be a hit for them....

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, David said:

since they are on the same size wheel base

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

olds, question:  why are you averse to facts being presented?  What is incorrect in the post of mine above?  Explain your reasoning.  You have 10 minutes for rebuttal.  After that, if there is no rebuttal, you will take a time out.

• Haha 1
  • Disagree 2

15 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I know technically you’re correct, but realistically; $39,995 before taxes, destination and ANY options isn’t “under $40K”. 5 bucks isn’t swaying anyone.

You Nailed it my friend. I think what Robert is thinking of as I am also is Chevrolet and Ford that have both said they need EVs for the masses and GM at least has stated that the new EV platform that the BOLT, BOLT EUV will come on will help deliver the lower price points.

Rumors have it that the BOLT EUV will take over current BOLT pricing and the update BOLT will drop in price, but again that is a Rumor and one we will have to wait on. 

I totally agree with you that we need EVs starting from $19,995 and on up for the masses.

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

olds, question:  why are you averse to facts being presented?  What is incorrect in the post of mine above?  Explain your reasoning.  You have 10 minutes for rebuttal.  After that, if there is no rebuttal, you will take a time out.

You didnt answer me.

You are a troll.

You have 3 people here that defend you.  Good for them. 

But you still remain a troll.

Now...I got to help my son with his homework.  

Good luck to you, Blu.  

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I know technically you’re correct, but realistically; $39,995 before taxes, destination and ANY options isn’t “under $40K”. 5 bucks isn’t swaying anyone.

Yeah, I was thinking a range under $40k..like $35k or thereabouts...or $30k...isn't the average new car price now about $38k? 

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, David said:

GM at least has stated that the new EV platform that the BOLT, BOLT EUV will come on will help deliver the lower price points.

The Bolt and EUV are not on a new platform.  They are updates of Bolt's current platform.

10 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

The Bolt and EUV are not on a new platform.  They are updates of Bolt's current platform.

Wrong, GM has stated that the upcoming BOLT EUV will be on their new Ultium platform as the refresh of the BOLT will also move to that platform. Current 2020/2021 BOLTs are on the current platform. The EUV is NOT in production yet. GM clearly stated it will be on the new Ultium platform.

Originally this new platform was to start being used on the BOLT/BOLT EUV in 2020 as a 2021 model but was delayed due to the pandemic. Current BOLTs on the lots are on the old platform.

With that we also have the first look of the all new Headlights that will be on the 2022 BOLT EUV.

GM Reveals New Ultium Batteries and a Flexible Global Platform to Rapidly Grow its EV Portfolio

image.png

Chevrolet Shares First Look at 2022 Chevrolet Bolt EUV Signature Lighting (gm.com)

• Haha 1

Cautionary Note on Forward-Looking Statements:  This press release contains forward-looking statements that represent our current judgment about possible future events. In making these statements we rely on assumptions and analysis based on our experience and perception of historical trends, current conditions and expected future developments as well as other factors we consider appropriate under the circumstances. We believe these judgments are reasonable, but these statements are not guarantees of any events or financial results, and our actual results may differ materially due to a variety of important factors, both positive and negative.

The Cruise Origin, a self-driving, electric shared vehicle, shown to the public in January 2020 in San Francisco, was the first product revealed using GM’s third generation EV platform and Ultium batteries. Next will be the Cadillac Lyriq luxury SUV in April. Details about its launch will be shared then. The reveal of the Ultium-powered GMC HUMMER EV will follow on May 20. Production is expected to begin in Fall 2021 at GM’s Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plant, GM’s first assembly plant 100 percent dedicated to EV production.

I don't see anything in this linked article specifically stating the Bolt or EUV are moving to the Ultium platform, but I did read an earlier article stating they are updates of the current Bolt platform.

GM BEV3 Platform Applications
Vehicle Model Code Intro Model Year Assembly Facility 1 Assembly Facility 2
Cruise Origin TBD 2023 (expected) GM Detroit-Hamtramck -
Cadillac Lyriq TBD 2023 GM Detroit-Hamtramck Jinqiao Cadillac (expected)
Cadillac Optiq TBD
Cadillac Symboliq TBD
Cadillac Celestiq TBD 2024 (expected) GM Detroit-Hamtramck -
Buick small crossover TBD 2023 (expected) GM Detroit-Hamtramck -
Buick midsize crossover TBD 2024 (expected) GM Detroit-Hamtramck -
Chevrolet midsize crossover TBD 2024 (expected) GM Detroit-Hamtramck -
Chevrolet light commercial vehicle TBD TBD GM Detroit-Hamtramck -