Watch the Ford Mustang Mach-E Unveiling Live, 9 PM Eastern: Comments

Great read on how the Mach e got the mustang name.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/23/heres-how-the-ford-mustang-mach-e-earned-the-iconic-pony-badge.html

Totally agree with Ford on this. Love their response to the Bolt, Leaf, Etc.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Love this write up and how they specifically tested a 6'6" tall person in the back seat that still had a couple inches of head room left unlike the tight fitting Tesla X.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/ford-mustang-mach-e/

I am excited for Ford to Eat up some of Tesla's Lunch and Dinner! :D 

Love this part of the story at the above link.

QUOTE: 

Some of the pleasure you get from driving a high-performance car is the noise it makes. A husky exhaust sound or open-element air filter can heighten the experience. Ensuring the Mach-E delivers an emotional drive, Palmer said there will be no "fake sounds." What it'll do instead is boost the noises this SUV's powertrain already makes, producing something that's "complex, multitimbral" but also authentic. The last thing they wanted to do is pump fake V8 exhaust sounds out of it. If you were worried about that, your concerns are, thankfully, unfounded.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

My uncle and cousin, who are both Mustang hard liners and have multiple classic mustangs are warming to the idea of this. 

Those are some Hardcore Ford "fanboys" right there! :D Invite them on so they can chat with Errol Hassol! (decipher it) 😂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I suspect my brother (who has owned at least dozen Mustangs over 50 years) wouldn't like it.  

Ask and record his response so we can all enjoy it here. :P 

Based on info captured by other reporting outfits, Ford is planning on 50,000 Mach e a year to begin and then ramps from there as batteries become more available. That makes it 4,166 plus per month. Would for sure kill all the others in sales if they hit this for the first year.

OK, some clarity, sales of the Mach e goes on first in the US and Europe with a split of about 25,000 to Europe and 25,000 to the US.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1126230_how-many-mustang-mach-e-electric-suvs-will-ford-build-we-ve-got-numbers

We now know where the electrics will be built in their new contract.

• 1 month later...

Upon reading this story, I have to agree that the Mach-e will allow the Mustang name to live on as sales have been dropping on a rate of 10% a year.

https://www.autonews.com/blogs/mach-e-ford-ensures-mustang-badge-will-live#adunit_path=opinion/blogs

That kind of drop means that the hard core fans are not buying enough to keep the ICE Mustange alive as is and that active people who want performance but in more of a CUV form will be the buyers not just now but in the future. IMHO

• Disagree 1

@dfelt 

What are you talking about?   While overall sale figures for Mustang are down (like pretty much everything in the auto industry) Ford still sold almost 100k Mustangs in 2019.  In comparison Caddilac sold 150k TOTAL ALL cars and SUVs, more Mustangs were sold than GM sold Equinoxes which is GMs bread and butter at the moment, this is more than Infiniti sold OVERALL all their cars and crossovers.

Ford doesn't need to use this nameplate for this electric crossover, they are still doing pretty good without it.

Edited by ykX
  • Thanks 1

Tesla sold around 150,000 Model 3's in the USA last year and Musk thinks the Model Y CUV will outsell it (I imagine it will cannibalize a lot of 3 sales given the 3 is the default ~50k electric car currently).  The Mach-E is about a direct competitor as you can get for the Y, will be interesting how many people choose it over the Tesla.

14 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

The Camaro is probably on more precarious ground.. <50k sales, no new ICE RWD platform in site, not popular internationally compared to the Mustang.

Edited by frogger

11 minutes ago, frogger said:

The Camaro is probably on more precarious ground.. <50k sales, no new ICE RWD platform in site, not popular internationally compared to the Mustang.

Yeah, I didn't see international sales but I think the Mustang was doing pretty well over in Europe but I don't know what kind of number defines "pretty well". 

I think the Mustang has been so iconic for ford that they would be willing to lose *some* money on it before actually calling it over. 

• 5 weeks later...

Found this story that covers the components that are going into the Mach e EV and have to say I am very impressed with the quality of parts Ford is using. It also clearly shows the reduction in complexity of an EV over ICE. Worth clicking the link if your interested.

https://electricrevs.com/2019/11/18/mustang-mach-e-powertrain-up-close-and-personal/

This is a great picture. The motor on the left is on the RWD GT versions and you get two of these motors in the GT AWD version. The motor on the right is the RWD and AWD motor for non GT versions. Far more details at the link, but was cool to read on the quality of square heavy duty copper wire used compared to the ultra thin thread style that Nissan uses in the Leaf, etc..

image.png

Here is their 10 module battery pack with a single cell that is made for them by LG.

image.png

• Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 1:14 PM, ccap41 said:

Yeah, I didn't see international sales but I think the Mustang was doing pretty well over in Europe but I don't know what kind of number defines "pretty well". 

I seem to recall that a couple of years ago the Mustang was the top selling sports coupe worldwide...

• 4 months later...

Mustang Mach-e Updates per electrek.com

• Charges 30% faster than stated earlier at the reveal
  • Across the board all models have 11 lb-ft of more torque and from 8 to 14 more hp.
  • Order books are now open starting today, so reservation holders are now being booked as orders.
  • Seems some Ford dealers across America think they have a right to 5 to 15 thousand above MSRP for a Mach-e Sale. Buyers are shopping around as you can choose what dealership you want to receive your Mach-e at once you agree to a price. As such a growing list of dealers who have committed to not doing ADM on the Mach-e or other Ford products. https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/official-list-no-adm-mach-e-ford-dealers.95/

https://electrek.co/2020/06/30/ford-mustang-mach-e-specs-opens-order-book/

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

*YAWN* booorrrrrrring

Of course it is boring to you, Ya live in the Dino age. Plenty of warm green house gas just before they get wiped out. :P 

• 11 months later...

Since the official reveal of the Mach-e Ford has been busy moving forward to the point where this auto is a very hot BEV selling around the world. Now Ford has released for the last two model versions the final info on the Mach-e GT and GT Performance edition that is in production finally and the official EPA range is 270 miles for GT and 260 for the GT-Performance.

The GT-Performance will have 634 lb-ft of torque and a 0to60 mph in 3.5 seconds.

Ford has done some great engineering when you consider the Targeted EPA range at this reveal and the final.

image.png

Mustang Mach-E GT and GT Performance Edition Hit Final EPA-Estimated Range of 270 miles and 260 miles | Ford Media Center

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Seems that Ford Motor Company has not released any press release which is weird considering this is a Guinness World Record for an EV.

2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E sets EV efficiency Guinness World Record - Autocar India

The new Ford Mustang Mach-E has set a Guinness World Record for efficiency in an electric car, averaging 10.52km per kWh on an 1,352km route between John o’ Groats and Land’s End.

• The Ford Mustang Mach-E completed the world record trip in 27 hours
  • The variant used had a 99kWh battery and a single 289hp electric motor
  • It achieved over 800km range compared to 610km claimed WLTP range
  • Agree 2