Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Buick Encore GX Comes to the U.S.: Comments

Los Angeles - Buick introduced the Buick Encore GX to the U.S. at the Los Angeles Auto Show. The Encore GX is Buick's 4th entry into the crossover segment and sits slightly above the Encore in size and price.  The Encore GX will come with a host of standard safety features such as: 

• Forward Collision Alert
  • Automatic Emergency Braking
  • Front Pedestrian Braking
  • Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning
  • Following Distance Indicator
  • IntelliBeam headlamps with automatically-adjusting high/low beams

Available safety features depending on trim level will include: 

• Rear Park Assist
  • Rear Cross Traffic Alert
  • Lane Change Alert with Side Blind Zone Alert
  • Rear Camera Mirror, provides a wide, less obstructed rear view while parking and driving
  • Hands-Free Power Liftgate with logo projection, one of only two vehicles within the compact SUV segment to offer this feature
  • Adaptive Cruise Control – Camera (camera-based)
  • Head-Up Display
  • Automatic Parking Assist with Braking
  • High Definition Surround Vision camera system

The Encore will be powered either by a 1.2-liter Turbocharged or an up level 1.3-liter turbocharged engine.  In front wheel drive versions, both engines will send power to the wheels via a continuously variable transmission. All-wheel drive models get the 1.3-liter engine and a 9-speed automatic. AWD will also be driver selectable allowing for better traction or better fuel economy depending on driving conditions.  The top engine will produce an estimated 155-horspower and 174 lb.-ft of torque with a GM estimated 31 mpg highway rating. 

2020-Buick-EncoreGX-013.jpg

The Buick Encore GX goes on sale early 2020

View full article

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

I love uplevel 1.3 liter 3 cylinder engines!

Wasn’t it Mercedes that asked Ford for help on a three cylinder engine not so long ago, before abandoning it? It was destined for the A and B class I believe. 

Having said that, I would not touch a three cylinder engine with a ten foot pole. Best of luck with that Buick. 

• Agree 1

Better question: given all this Active Safety stuff in the Encore GX, when is that going to the rest of the Buick CUV line?  The Envision and especially the Enclave could use it.

As for the three cylinder engines, it is sad but count on it in the smaller Chevy CUVs within a year or so.

47 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

As for the three cylinder engines, it is sad but count on it in the smaller Chevy CUVs within a year or so

Yes, the new Trailblazer will have these engines. 

1 minute ago, ocnblu said:

Oh there are plenty of Chinese language videos over onto the YouTube for the new Trailblazer... and yes... engine options appear to be shared between Chevy and Buick.

I read a Car & Driver article..the TB has the same engines as the Ency GX. 

Edited by Robert Hall

I really like this little rig but TBH it would be fun to see something like a 1.8 turbo in this thing.  1.2 and 1.3 is really just too small.  This will help populate Buick showrooms again and they can either make bank on these for profit or flip right wads to the encore for volume.  This GX looks so much nicer than the Envision.  

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 1

I'm sure it has something to do with Chinese displacement tax or something. 

That said, the Ford 1.0 Ecoboost in the Fiesta?Focus?  one of them... wasn't bad at all... it should have been the standard engine instead of a buy up engine. I think the CVT is a bigger killer than the 3-cylinder. At least a 9-speed auto is available. 

2021 Buick Encore GX-1.jpg

2021 Buick Encore GX-2.jpg

2021 Buick Encore GX-3.jpg

• Agree 1