Kia Unleashes the Seltos: Comments

15639_2021_Seltos (1).pngLos Angeles - Kia unveiled the 2021 Kia Seltos at the Los Angeles Auto Show today. The Seltos brings a new level of ruggedness and refinement to the entry level crossover segment.  The Seltos slots between the Kia Soul and Kia Sportage in the brand's lineup.  It has a longer wheelbase than is typical and a long hood to give it a sense of size though in a small package.  Front and rear skid plates and black wheel arches emphasize off-road capability, and the standard AWD on the base model makes that capability a reality. 

The Seltos is powered by either a 2.0-liter naturally aspirated engine producing 146 horsepower and 132 lb.-ft of torque or an up-level 1.6-liter Turbo that produces 175 horsepower and 195 lb.-ft of torque. Power is routed to the front or all wheels by a CVT on the 2.0 or a 7-speed DCT on the 1.6T. 

The body is composed of 61 percent advanced high-strength steel and further enhanced with 374 feet of structural adhesives to offer a stiff structure without increasing weight. 

Inside there is an available 10.25 inch touchscreen, Bose sound system, Apple Car Play and Android Auto, and multi-Bluetooth capability allowing for two phones to be connected to the infotainment system at the same time. 

Safety technology includes Kia's available "Kia Drive Wise" safety suite that includes things like blind spot monitoring, smart cruise control, lane keep assist, lane follow assist, forward collision avoidance, and driver attention warning.

15662_2021_Seltos.jpg

The base LX AWD will have a starting price below $22,000 and the FWD SX will have a similar starting price.   

View full article

Here we go again Kopycat Kia...a Range Rover Evoque knock off front end and Ford Escape back end with the top of taillights trailing up the side...front is so obvious even the way the Evoque has a higher hood that drops down onto the lower qtr. panels and grille.

What's with the huge black plastic blank below the headlights? Doesn't look functional and looks horrible! Headlight redesign at the last minute? LOL!

image.png.9cf08b22cddf03af3b58acfa4116b8ae.pngimage.png.fec8f95dbe5c1d5b639503deb5c24cce.png

Looks like a strong package for the segment.  A little weird in the front, but then... so is the Trailblazer.  I do like the non-chin dragging front bumper.  I had my Compass airdam itched up a little bit, and that was from entryway dips, not offroading.  Kind of reminds me of an old-skool Sportage from back in the day, which I think was a friendly little pup of a CUV.  Could have a decent AWD system too (inference because of its worldwide sales scope).  In concrusion, I think it will be a formidable competitor in the segment.  I'd really like to see a size/capability comparison between this, the Trailblazer and the Compass.  I understand the Seltos has about 7.2 inches ground clearance.

Exactly how drunk are you @USA-1? There is little to no resemblance to the Escape. 

“Oooh, it wraps around the side like a dozen other CUVs are doing these days”  

Same applies to the Evoque reference. Yes there is a similar “sleekness” to the headlight design. Big deal. All makes are copying someone else these days, even GM (feel free to compare some Silverado lights with the F-150). At least the Kia will last longer than that POS Land Rover. 

6AABEF16-9B3F-4A59-AC6A-533AEB5639AF.jpeg

69C17A03-16DB-4634-9964-78743C746095.jpeg

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Better than the Buick Encore GX and at a better price

Curious how you can conclude this.  This will compete more with the Trailblazer than the Encore.  I do agree a 3-cylinder engine is strange in the Buick, and I have no doubt the Chevy will have the same powertrain options.  Sigh.  Everything is getting so weird.  The Kia Seltos retains more of a comfortable, traditional layout.  I would get the turbo, but I am a little leery of dual clutch transmissions... it feels odd in the Tucson.

2 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Seltos.  Makes me think of Mentos.  Probably related to the new baby Hyundai CUV whose name escapes me. 

This is bigger than the Venue.  The Venue is smaller than the Soul.  Seltos is a notch bigger than Soul.

kia-seltos-x-line-urban-concept.jpg

We all know you're hammered drunk on the daily so there's that. 

Totally copied the LR look in the front not just the "sleekness" of the headlights look at the hood and how it ties in only LR has that signature design on all their vehicles. Only difference in back is that the Kia looks like it got rear ended by a Hyundai. LOL

Kia and the LR both will prob. throw a rod about the same time Kia is not much if at all better than the Land Rover.

Edited by USA-1
  • Disagree 2

1 hour ago, surreal1272 said:

Exactly how drunk are you @USA-1?

“Oooh, it wraps around the side like a dozen other CUVs are doing these days” 

Same applies to the Evoque reference. Yes there is a similar “sleekness” to the headlight design. At least the Kia will last longer than that POS Land Rover.

Totally copied the LR look in the front not just the "sleekness" of the headlights look at the hood and how it ties in only LR has that signature design on all their vehicles. Only difference in back is that the Kia looks like it got rear ended by a Hyundai. LOL

Kia and the LR both will prob. throw a rod about the same time Kia is not much if at all better than the Land Rover.

• Disagree 1

7 hours ago, regfootball said:

Now all the Kia crossover soup has me confused. 

Just a lot going on in the subcompact/compact space.   Can be confusing without a chart.

Seems like it's Soul, Niro, Seltos, Sportage   (the last 3 are pretty close in size).

and over at Hyundai it's Venue, Kona, Tuscon.   

And yet nothing yet at Genesis.  

11 hours ago, USA-1 said:

Whatever the GM fanboy has to tell himself. Land Rovers are overpriced junk and while Kia is “Lexus” like in quality, it is worlds better than the GM fanboy realizes. Hell, their initial quality has been rated higher than GM, on average, but who’s keeping count of actual facts when it’s easier for fanboys to ignore that and just make up random BS?

(Looks at the new “Trailblazer” profile that it shares with the Nissan Kicks and has a similar headlight swoop as the Evoque and wonders if said fanboy will criticize it to the same level that he has the Kia. We will sidestep naming the FWD CUV “Trailblazer” in the first place)

Sincerely,

The non-fanboy who hasn’t had a drink in years and was never a “drinker”. 

288E2544-3B17-4060-9B38-905BECFBEC96.jpeg

A1EFB45A-16C6-4C50-A67C-C9D60A8E1F14.png

Edited by surreal1272
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Just a lot going on in the subcompact/compact space.   Can be confusing without a chart.

Seems like it's Soul, Niro, Seltos, Sportage   (the last 3 are pretty close in size).

and over at Hyundai it's Venue, Kona, Tuscon.   

And yet nothing yet at Genesis.  

In fairness, the Soul is the oddball here since it doesn’t offer AWD. Doesn’t really fit the CUV category in the traditional since IMO. Having said that, too many companies now are doing this with their CUV lineup. Barely and inch or so difference is size is just silly to me. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, surreal1272 said:

Whatever the GM fanboy has to tell himself. Land Rovers are overpriced junk and while Kia is NOT “Lexus” like in quality, it is worlds better than the GM fanboy realizes. Hell, their initial quality has been rated higher than GM, on average, but who’s keeping count of actual facts when it’s easier for fanboys to ignore that and just make up random BS?

(Looks at the new “Trailblazer” profile that it shares with the Nissan Kicks and has a similar headlight swoop as the Evoque and wonders if said fanboy will criticize it to the same level that he has the Kia. We will sidestep naming the FWD CUV “Trailblazer” in the first place)

Sincerely,

Late edit: That should read “while is NOT “Lexus” like in quality.”

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Whatever the GM fanboy has to tell himself. Land Rovers are overpriced junk and while Kia is “Lexus” like in quality, it is worlds better than the GM fanboy realizes. Hell, their initial quality has been rated higher than GM, on average, but who’s keeping count of actual facts when it’s easier for fanboys to ignore that and just make up random BS?

Sincerely,

I give ya an up vote plus my chuckle. 

Guess some will love the mess of design language here for a Chevy Juke, aka Aztec round 2.0 :roflmao:

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Guess some will love the mess of design language here for a Chevy Juke, aka Aztec round 2.0 :roflmao:

I do not get that profile on any of them. Looks blocky for the wrong reasons. Just makes the design seem confused. "Do I want to look like a small SUV or do I want my back end to look like an Aztek on meth? Decisions, decisions."

At least the Kia is not quite as sloped in the back but is my least favorite part of it. So many auto makes out there seem to consider the rear 1/4 of a car an afterthought. To each their own though. This will still be a solid seller for Kia and so will the Trailblazer (the inclusion of a POS 3 cylinder engine not withstanding).

Edited by surreal1272
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Whatever the GM fanboy has to tell himself. Land Rovers are overpriced junk and while Kia is “Lexus” like in quality, it is worlds better than the GM fanboy realizes.

(Looks at the new “Trailblazer” profile that it shares with the Nissan Kicks and has a similar headlight swoop as the Evoque and wonders if said fanboy will criticize it to the same level that he has the Kia. We will sidestep naming the FWD CUV “Trailblazer” in the first place

Where on here did I ever say I like every freakin' car or CUV that GM comes out with?  I don't give a flying F about either of these two CUV's, shares a profile because it's in the same class that makes sense, not to you of course.

I don't like Land Rovers, they are poorly built, unreliable vehicles, I was comparing the looks that Hyundai/Kia clearly once again, took it upon themselves to "cash in the chips" and emulate.

Of course you would use a Lexus for comparison closeted Toyota fanboy just get it out there, it's clear to everyone on here stop denying it. Nice catch with NOT Lexus below, we'll just stick with this post because you are so observant in your ways...move along grumpy Nelly...

Edited by USA-1
  • Disagree 1

When the Honda HRV arrived I thought it was pretty ugly.. Somehow now I like the looks of the upper trim levels.   Maybe because it looks more like a regular hatchback than an oddly shrunken compact CUV.  Not a fan of the looks of any many subcompact CUV's in general though.

6ikxlypuazeewz2ojjujxrjjc.jpg

Edited by frogger

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

You know you love it and secretly want one! 😜

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, USA-1 said:

Where on here did I ever say I like every freakin' car or CUV that GM comes out with?  I don't give a flying F about either of these two CUV's, shares a profile because it's in the same class that makes sense, not to you of course.

I don't like Land Rovers, they are poorly built, unreliable vehicles, I was comparing the looks that Hyundai/Kia clearly once again, took it upon themselves to "cash in the chips" and emulate.

Of course you would use a Lexus for comparison closeted Toyota fanboy just get it out there, it's clear to everyone on here stop denying it. Nice catch with NOT Lexus below, we'll just stick with this post because you are so observant in your ways...move along grumpy Nelly...

The point here is that I have yet to see you levy the same level of "copy cat" criticism at GM, that you reserve for the Koreans. There is not one reason why they have to look alike just because they are the same class of vehicle either, based on your "logic". That is just asinine. The Camaro and Mustang are the same class of vehicle but look nothing alike so try again. The Equinox and Escape are the same class of CUV but look nothing alike. That is what you seem to missing here while resort to name calling and that ridiculous yet predictable defensive attitude. All makes copy each other (at some point) but you stick to very specific brands because well, who the F knows but they are right there for everyone to see.

And I'm not a fanboy of any brand genius so your deflection is just that, deflection. The Lexus reference was made because they are generally at the top of just about every reliability survey out there. Sorry the facts bother you so much that you have to resort to baseless attacks. Besides, you've made three different brand fan claims against me in the last three months (FCA, Ford, and now Toyota). Pick one and stick with it junior. You, on the other hand, are clear cut GM fanboy by every definition of the term. Deny it all you want but there are literally hundreds of pro-GM and GM defense posts by you that support this assertion. You cannot say the same thing about me and that is the big difference here. I guess since I'm on here defending the Seltos, you'll be calling me a Kia fanboy next. 

And the Land Rover reference was about the design which you brought up but you can't seem to keep your arguments straight so we will just leave that one alone before you blow a fanboy gasket. You can't even make the comparison to the Escape anymore but a picture is worth a thousand words and your words about it mean jack squat. 

Edited by surreal1272
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

The point here is that I have yet to see you levy the same level of "copy cat" criticism at GM, that you reserve for the Koreans. There is not one reason why they have to look alike just because they are the same class of vehicle, based on your "logic". That is just asinine. The Camaro and Mustang are the same class of vehicles but look nothing alike so try again. The Equinox and Escape are the same class of CUV but look nothing alike. That is what you seem to missing here while resort to name calling and that ridiculous yet predictable defensive attitude. All makes copy each other (at some point) but you stick to very specific brands because well, who the F knows but they are right there for everyone to see.

And I'm not a fanboy of any brand genius so your deflection is just that, deflection. The Lexus reference was made because they are generally at the top of just about every reliability survey out there. Sorry the facts bother you so much that you have to resort to baseless attacks. Besides, you've made three different brand fan claims against me in the last three months (FCA, Ford, and now Toyota). Pick one and stick with it junior. You, on the other hand, are clear cut GM fanboy by every definition of the term. Deny it all you want but there are literally hundreds of pro-GM and GM defense posts by you that support this assertion. You cannot say the same thing about me and that is the big difference here. I guess since I'm on here defending the Seltos, you'll be calling me a Kia fanboy next. 

Defensive? No. But here we have another triggered diatribe from you.

You are so fixated on people on here who are apparent "fanboys" that you search out that you can't even concentrate on the subject at hand and that's the Koreans copying all other manf's, something others on here have agreed with like with the fugly new G90. So are they all GM fanboys or Acura fanboys or MB fanboys too because they mention something good about said brand and knock on another make that you like? Your logic just doesn't pencil out.

Edited by USA-1

9 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

He laughs to hide the truth. 

Thanks for playing. 

Checkmate! 👍🏻

Edited by USA-1

I liked the Seltos until I saw more of the Trailblazer.  Now I am solidly back in the Chevrolet camp.  And the brown interior in the Trailblazer is really brown... not orange like current GM non-black or gray interiors.

• Haha 1