Car and Driver Reviews G6 Convertible

"High on style, this real smoothie comes with a right-on price."

On the whole, Tony Swan thought favorably of the GTP convertible, saying that despite its flaws (body flex, torque-steer, overweight, gritty powertrain, rock-'n'-roll cornering), "[$30K] is an attractive price for an attractive boulevard cruiser with four-season usefulness." Tony Quiroga added "the G6 gets a passing grade because the rest of the class brings the average down, so what would usually be a nearly failing grade is slightly above average."

Highs: Zoomy good looks, room for four, quiet in coupe mode, smooth ride.

Lows: So-so performance, hints of cowl-shake, miniature trunk.

The Verdict: A slick boulevardier with an attractive price, but autocrossers need not apply.

Why do they ALWAYS have to frame something positive to be negative??

Or, it truly is an average auto, converted into a slightly flexible, albeit useful & handsome, hardtop 'vert....

Thus a little disappointing, just like its sister Epsilon-mates....EpII can't get here fast enough!

No, that's not my point. I'm not saying the G6 kills all, but I'm saying how they manage to frame it to sound negative, even through the reality is not as bad as how their language sounds like.

But oh well... ambiguity of language... depends on how you interpret it.

No, that's not my point. I'm not saying the G6 kills all, but I'm saying how they manage to frame it to sound negative, even through the reality is not as bad as how their language sounds like.

But oh well... ambiguity of language... depends on how you interpret it.

Well, you should read the review yourself to be fair. Quiroga's comment was in their "Counterpoint" section.

The whole article describes an adequate product....a Pontiac Sebring, if you will...there's nothing wrong with that....and since the entire 06 production run is already spoken for, the General's mission has been accomplished here.

If their Zeta reviews are similar, then we're in trouble. Otherwise, it's not an enthusiasts' vehicle, although that may be exactly what the market wants anyway. There's nothing wrong with mediocre press, so long as the model is a sell-out...for now.

Both Motor trend and C & D make things sound a lot worse than they are. Usually if you read the whole article, they generally like the GM car they are testing but they love to nitpick(I remember one test of the HHR where they kept bringing up that the tilt steering only had 5 positions, who cares! Then to make it worse the last paragraph usually just sums up the negative points.

Both Motor trend and C & D make things sound a lot worse than they are. Usually if you read the whole article, they generally like the GM car they are testing but they love to nitpick(I remember one test of the HHR where they kept bringing up that the tilt steering only had 5 positions, who cares! Then to make it worse the last paragraph usually just sums up the negative points.

Maybe, just maybe, its the vehicles themselves...

Kappas, GMT900's, vette's & other World Class product get good reviews. The rest of the stuff is mediocre...trust me, our flagship franchise is a GM regional powerhouse. The new stuff in our showrooms is marginally better than the stuff we're taking on trade.

GM can do it. They just need to do it consistently.

"gritty powertrain"

I love the crap these guys make up to smear the car when they can't come up with anything else. What the hell is a gritty powertrain? I would be suprised if the author of the article knew what the word gritty meant.

What next, a "salty transmission"?

"gritty powertrain"

I love the crap these guys make up to smear the car when they can't come up with anything else.  What the hell is a gritty powertrain?  I would be suprised if the author of the article knew what the word gritty meant.

Prefer the term 'agricultural' or just 'ancient'?....drive any import G6 competitor in V6....you'll find an extra gear or two in the automatic powertrains attached to a smooth motor that embarasses the pushrod crap GM is stuffing into these puppies...

You can take it personally, or come to realize GM is not putting its best foot forward....there are a number of engines and tranny's in their own stable to vastly improve the offering. THEY have chosen not to offer it to us (or to the mags that give them deservedly mixed press.)

Edited by enzl

I've owned my G6 GTP convertible for a week and I just returned from a 700 mile, one day road trip.

This is a great car for $32K!

I love the styling, ergonomics, acceleration and handling.

I've owned much more expensive, high performance cars; for example, Mercedes E55 AMG, Lotus Esprit and several Corvettes. So, I feel I have a basis for comparison.

I think Pontiac has done a great job. :thumbsup:

I've owned my G6 GTP convertible for a week and I just returned from a 700 mile, one day road trip.

I've owned much more expensive, high performance cars; for example, Mercedes E55 AMG, Lotus Esprit and several Corvettes. So, I feel I have a basis for comparison.

I think Pontiac has done a great job.  :thumbsup:

Congrats!

I don't mean to come down on the purchase...its a nice car...and a hit. Exactly what Pontiac needs...I'm looking forward to some seat time in the future. As a dog owner, I love the 4 seat 'vert, regardless....

Congrats!

I don't mean to come down on the purchase...its a nice car...and a hit. Exactly what Pontiac needs...I'm looking forward to some seat time in the future. As a dog owner, I love the 4 seat 'vert, regardless....

enzl,

No offense taken. :)

We all have different wants and needs and opinions. This is the first Pontiac that has really grabbed me, since the 1960's GTO's. 8)

Congrats! Saw my first one on the road yesterday. It sure looks great . Good luck.

It blows my mind that this thing weights as much as a V8 Lucerne and has a detuned 3900 with 227 hp while the 3500 keeps the same power ratings as everything else. How does GM always manage to take one step forward and two steps back?

I don't understand their product-planning decisions.

Obviously they have engineered the 3.6L for the G6 because it's going to be available in the top model......yet they put the old pushrod 3.9L in their range-topping convertible....

Sometimes I really believe that GM does deserve all the criticism on product decisions that they receive in the press.

It blows my mind that this thing weights as much as a V8 Lucerne and has a detuned 3900 with 227 hp while the 3500 keeps the same power ratings as everything else. How does GM always manage to take one step forward and two steps back?

That's like asking what the square root of a million is... no one will ever know.

161712[/snapback]

You came from owning Corvettes and an E55 and you love the handling and acceleration of the G6? No offense intended, but I am having a hard time believing that a former Vette/E55 owner is going to be impressed by the dynamics of a G6...

It is definetly the eggs that came first.  I have never understood why people have trouble with that one.

163424[/snapback]

and how did the egg get there? or more so, who kept the egg incubated then raised it and eventually turn into a delicious and tasty dinner?

1000? really? i didnt think our human computers could handle such an equation. are you sure about that?

1000? really?  i didnt think our human computers could handle such an equation.  are you sure about that?

165911[/snapback]

Let's start with an easy example...

4 = 2 x 2 = 2^2

square root of 4 = square root of (2)^2 = 2

... now let's move on to one million...

one million = 10^3 x 10^3 = (10^3)^2

squar root of one million = suare root of (10^3)^2 = 10^3 = 1000

... get it? Next time, pick the square root of infinity.

Edited by AAS

:duh:

thanks for the math lesson.  it was a joke.

next up, vocabulary: do you know what pedant means?  :AH-HA_wink:

the square root of infinity is easy.

:)

165921[/snapback]

you're welcome...

I hate vocabulary, so I don't know what it means and I'm not going to look it up.

and how did the egg get there?  or more so, who kept the egg incubated then raised it and eventually turn into a delicious and tasty dinner? 

165911[/snapback]

For the sake of simplicity assume a chicken evolved from a turkey. The turkey laid an agg that underwent a mutation of the DNA sequence. The turkey sat on and hatched the "first" chicken egg, neither knowing or possibly caring that it would produce a chicken rather than a turkey. Hence the chicken egg came first. It's all about mutation of the sex gamates.

You came from owning Corvettes and an E55 and you love the handling and acceleration of the G6? No offense intended, but I am having a hard time believing that a former Vette/E55 owner is going to be impressed by the dynamics of a G6...

165843[/snapback]

I also had a Lotus Esprit and I'm still very happy with the handling of my '06 G6 GTP convertible for a lot less $$.

:thumbsup:

For the sake of simplicity assume a chicken evolved from a turkey.  The turkey laid an agg that underwent a mutation of the DNA sequence.  The turkey sat on and hatched the "first" chicken egg, neither knowing or possibly caring that it would produce a chicken rather than a turkey.  Hence the chicken egg came first.  It's all about mutation of the sex gamates.

165951[/snapback]

hot $h!. never thought about it like that in evolutionary terms. same as if an alligator or platypus had sat on an egg for however long only to find out it wasnt what they thought. or whatever is closest on the evolutionary scale.

or if someone asked where did the first man/woman come from and you said a monkey. i think i dig what you are saying. so yeah basically an egg didnt appear from thin air.

I hate vocabulary, so I don't know what it means and I'm not going to look it up.

thats too bad. no gold star for you this time.

walc: congrats on the car. havent seen any around here yet but it looks like a very nice ride. i know motor trend seemed like they liked it.

"gritty powertrain"

I love the crap these guys make up to smear the car when they can't come up with anything else. What the hell is a gritty powertrain? I would be suprised if the author of the article knew what the word gritty meant.

It's just more SUBJECTIVE crap to try and dissuade people from buying a brand or car...

FACE IT: Cars are by-in-large the same these days... Reliable, neutral driving characteristics unless pushed to the absolute limit and overall safe. Therefore, the auto reviewer has to try harder now to make his existence relevant... And that's where the 'feel' and subjective crap that no one else can experience, comes in. And unfortunately, that's where the authors overall opinion and bias shine through the best.

"A gritty powertrain."

Well, I guess in that case my '73 Camaro has a 'bumpy' powertrain (Cammed) my '82 Toyota has a 'boiling' powertrain (Since that's what it sounds like--a rapidly boiling pot of water) and my '99 Silverado has a 'rock on rock' transmission. (Since it shifts heavier than most automatic because it's built for towing/hauling.)

Can someone please flick provok's needle?  He's stuck again.

Question:  are Croc and Evok the same person?  Are they at least related?  Or do they just share the same sunny viewpoint?

169289[/snapback]

I have seen enough of your posts to realize they are not worth my time. But if you want to have at it . . .

ive seen so many contradictary reports about this car its almost laughable.

most convertables...oh, it has flex, oh its suprisingly solid over the worst expansion bumps and ruts, oh this, oh, that, and the other thing...oh, blah blah blah.

cry me a river. everyone who reviews anything has their own opinions. thats what they are paid to do, and good for them...doesnt make them, right.

some are consistent, others bitch and moan for no reason or because they want everything to be as perfect as to what they envision perfection.

big deal. and sometimes you find a critic who you can agree with. someone who time in and time out is on the money. and even then you dont always agree.

and some feel as long as youre talking about it theyve done their job.

thats my take.

Let's start with an easy example...

4 = 2 x 2 = 2^2

square root of 4 = square root of (2)^2 = 2

... now let's move on to one million...

one million = 10^3 x 10^3 = (10^3)^2

squar root of one million = suare root of (10^3)^2 = 10^3 = 1000

... get it?  Next time, pick the square root of infinity.

165912[/snapback]

Infinity, obviously. Anything times infinity is infinity, so infinity times infinity is infinity.

Got it?

I have seen enough of your posts to realize they are not worth my time.  But if you want to have at it . . .

169297[/snapback]

Hows that ? Is that

A. similar too

B. worse

C. different

D. no comparision

to this post

"skip . . .

skip . . .

skip . . .

skip . . .

skip . . .

skip . . .

skip . . .

skip . . .

skip . . .

skip . . .

skip . . .

skip . . .

skip . . .

skip . . .

skip . . .

skip . . .

skip . . .

skip . . ."

yea, always worth our time.............your posts

:pokeowned:

shush

Hows that ? Is that

Oh razor so happy to have you back.

Sam locking you in the store and making you work OT again?

I thought they would send the greeters home when they closed up?

Either way, good to have you back.

Edited by evok

Oh razor so happy to have you back. 

Sam locking you in the store and making you work OT again?

I thought they would send the greaters home when they closed up?

Either way, good to have you back.

169344[/snapback]

saywha ? guess I got left behind yet again because I have no idea WTF your talking about

either way you just made yet another informative post......please try to stay focused :P

saywha ? guess I got left behind yet again because I have no idea WTF your talking about

either way you just made yet another informative post......please try to stay focused  :P

169350[/snapback]

razoredge,

I think evok was mimicking the fact that your above post is completely indecipherable to 99.9% of us.

In the future, please don't tell one of the biggest contributors to this site to "shush". Thanks.

Can someone please flick provok's needle?  He's stuck again.

Question:  are Croc and Evok the same person?  Are they at least related?  Or do they just share the same sunny viewpoint?

169289[/snapback]

The same person? Related? Not hardly. I go at it with him occasionally...just via PM because I know to respect the people who are privy to far more knowledge than I have. See, evok is one of the posters here who does not have his head inserted up his or (in your case) someone else's ass. That makes him a fairly rational and objective person. You on the other hand like to behave like a young girl and view the world through the realm of "feelings." Whether or not I agree with and support evok in any of his posts is due entirely to the substance of his posts and the cogency of his arguments, NOT whether I think he is a nice, kind or compassionate individual. Plus his employment of biting sarcasm and a subtle sense of irony results in a complex and developed sense of humor that is enjoyed immensely by me and utterly lost on you.

I hope that answers your question, Bill. :)

razoredge,

I think evok was mimicking the fact that your above post is completely indecipherable to 99.9% of us. 

In the future, please don't tell one of the biggest contributors to this site to "shush".  Thanks.

169411[/snapback]

Actually I think evok was asking razoredge if his absence from the site was due to accruing a lot of overtime as a Walmart greeter.

Call me stupid (and I'm sure you will), but I'm still confused about that event in chat. Someone logged in as "Croc", saying "I know you don't like us, but please lay off evok." Then "Croc" disappeared. A very strange manifestation. Somebody needs to come clean (and I'm not saying it was either of you.) Edited by ocnblu

Call me stupid (and I'm sure you will), but I'm still confused about that event in chat.  Someone logged in as "Croc", saying "I know you don't like us, but please lay off evok."  Then "Croc" disappeared.  A very strange manifestation.  Somebody needs to come clean (and I'm not saying it was either of you.)

169422[/snapback]

Why are you confused? The situation was already explained to you over a month ago. You never indicated to me that I needed to use smaller words.

---

To the people who have no idea: Apparently someone logged onto chat calling themselves Croc and posted "I know you don't like us, but please lay off evok." Then the user logged on as Croc logged off. Well, it wasn't me, and it isn't all that strange when you realize you can type whatever the hell you wanna type in as your user name for chat. Go ahead...try to log in as joshieslittlebluemalibu, or retard411, or forddeath2doane or anything other than your own s/n. Someone logged in as Croc in chat and posted that, then signed off. Was it me? Nope, I had been at work all day...and I haven't been in a chat room since elementary school. I think they're kinda dumb, and for something like what was allegedly posted, I would normally use PM. Unlike so many people here, I don't believe in making big public declarations about things.

---

G6: Can't wait for an improved vehicle that is at the bare minimum better than the current AURA

---

G6: Can't wait for an improved vehicle that is at the bare minimum better than the current AURA

169471[/snapback]

Bad things happen in chat rooms. I watch those 60 Minute and Dateline NBC shows. Dateline has enabled the police to capture and convict some nasty people attempting to do some nasty stuff because of those chat rooms. All caught on tape.

G6: The article is spot on when you compare it to the competition. Which I might add they did when you read the whole article. And what exactly is the main competition. The Chrysler Sebring! That is not saying much.

Let's see how well it does against the NG Sebring coming out soon.

You are right, Mr. Fly: I should not have spread my argument to this thread by adding to the personal attack spiral that was already in progress.

Croc: you did not read my last sentence. I am not blaming you, sir. Nor am I blaming evok. I guess you had to be there for it to stick in your head as odd and out of character for either of you.

I have but one criticism for the G6 convertible. If they could not have engineered the folding hardtop for adequate trunk space, they should have gone for a traditional canvas roof, which also would have had a simpler mechanism and therefore most likely been more trouble-free over time. The car is a knockout, stylingwise, and seeing the top in action is fascinating, an attention-getter, which, it seems to me to be a goal of a convertible driver. The Sebring, with that high beltline and slab sides, might be a less-attractive bucket to be seen in.

Edited by ocnblu