55 replies to this topic

Toyota.vs.GM

Red-Line

• Members
  • Pip
  • 214 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:13 PM

Has CAFE strike again?You be the judge.

Edited by Toyota.vs.GM, 10 March 2008 - 03:47 PM.

Cubical-aka-Moltar

American Cubicle Dweller

• Premium Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,453 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE(Toyota.vs.GM @ Mar 10 2008, 12:13 PM) View Post

Good riddance...one less 6000lb pig. They still have the GMT-900s, which are more useful.

scharmer05

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:43 PM

It needed to be done sooner or later. It has a soft spot in my heart though.

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • 30,044 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:48 PM

I thought it was going to be updated to the 900

Dodgefan

`Cuz I'm Awesome

• Admin
  • 23,504 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 01:00 PM

QUOTE(moltar @ Mar 10 2008, 02:42 PM) View Post
Good riddance...one less 6000lb pig. They still have the GMT-900s, which are more useful.

+1

Nick

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 01:27 PM

As it is right now, the H2 doesn't truly support the Hummer namesake one bit, and the only premium thing about it is its price tag.

If it were to be redone on an architecture made to have the ability to tackle off-road duties, as well as be equipped with components which allow and aid for extended off-road capability, then and only then could it live up to its Hummer name. Otherwise, it is just a disappointment.

The H2 should be (or at least should have been) positioned to have the Range Rover directly in its sights. The Range Rover is a true premium vehicle. A beautiful vehicle inside and out; truly deserving of the price tag it holds. Not only that, but it is arguably one of the best off-road capable vehicles available to consumers.

Granted, the majority of these vehicles will never touch the smallest patch of gravel. The point is they are capable of it. They live up to their namesake and no excuses or exceptions are made when creating them.

It's a shame what has happened to Hummer. The H3, while much more "Hummer" than the H2, is still not enough.

I love Hummer and would hate to see it die, but barring some major turnaround (hopefully Hummer's upcoming products will be worthy of their name,) I'd say it might be time to put Hummer out of its misery.

RJB

GXP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE(moltar @ Mar 10 2008, 02:42 PM) View Post

+2 What a waste of a vehicle that should have never even come out.

siegen

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 01:58 PM

Cubical-aka-Moltar

American Cubicle Dweller

• Premium Subscriber
  • 22,453 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:02 PM

QUOTE(Nick @ Mar 10 2008, 01:27 PM) View Post
As it is right now, the H2 doesn't truly support the Hummer namesake one bit, and the only premium thing about it is its price tag.

If it were to be redone on an architecture made to have the ability to tackle off-road duties, as well as be equipped with components which allow and aid for extended off-road capability, then and only then could it live up to its Hummer name. Otherwise, it is just a disappointment.

The H2 should be (or at least should have been) positioned to have the Range Rover directly in its sights. The Range Rover is a true premium vehicle. A beautiful vehicle inside and out; truly deserving of the price tag it holds. Not only that, but it is arguably one of the best off-road capable vehicles available to consumers.

I'd love to see GM field a legit Range Rover competitor also..the question is which brand would it fit better under---Hummer, or Cadillac? An Escalade replacement that is more of a premium luxury SUV instead of a tacky blinged up Tahoe/Yukon could be a compelling RR competitor...

ltdaniels

Stock Member

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:06 PM

what about the hummer jeep?!

FUTURE_OF_GM

The Lewis Black of C&G

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE(Nick @ Mar 10 2008, 03:27 PM) View Post

Granted, the majority of these vehicles will never touch the smallest patch of gravel. The point is they are capable of it. They live up to their namesake and no excuses or exceptions are made when creating them.

It's a shame what has happened to Hummer. The H3, while much more "Hummer" than the H2, is still not enough.

I love Hummer and would hate to see it die, but barring some major turnaround (hopefully Hummer's upcoming products will be worthy of their name,) I'd say it might be time to put Hummer out of its misery.

I agree about the H2.

Maybe GM could bring it back as a hydrogen vehicle? That'd be a cool twist on things.

I'd say slow sales and gas prices killed it, not CAFE. Well that, and now that GM has the better selling H3 and a complementary H3 SUT, it kind of makes the H2 redundant. GM makes too much money off the thing to let CAFE kill it.

That's fine by me though, I'd rather see Hummer focus on more capable products that better support the image that the company is slowly, and unfortunately, losing.

GM needs to take the $$$ for the H2 update and throw it at making the H3/H3 SUT and H4 even better.

(Yeah, I know the H3 truck is not technically an SUT)

ZL-1

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,712 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 03:42 PM

QUOTE(moltar @ Mar 10 2008, 08:02 PM) View Post
I'd love to see GM field a legit Range Rover competitor also..the question is which brand would it fit better under---Hummer, or Cadillac? An Escalade replacement that is more of a premium luxury SUV instead of a tacky blinged up Tahoe/Yukon could be a compelling RR competitor...

I agree

Oracle of Delphi

Proto European

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,388 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 03:48 PM

Is that all they announced today? That's odd! popcorn.gif

wildcat

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:05 PM

What, did we miss another obituary? unsure.gif

P.S. - I bought some organic popcorn at the grocery store yesterday, but haven't tried it yet.

PurdueGuy

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,194 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE(wildcat @ Mar 10 2008, 08:05 PM) View Post
What, did we miss another obituary? unsure.gif

P.S. - I bought some organic popcorn at the grocery store yesterday, but haven't tried it yet.

I hate inorganic popcorn. lol

seriously, though... what's different about it? Pesticides & fertilizers used? Genetics? Oils for cooking?

back on topic

I personally think the H2 is a silly vehicle, but it has seemed to sell pretty well, and people seem to either love it or hate it. Granted, the "hate it" crowd sees it as the spokesperson for silly big SUVs that rarely leave the pavement, but it's gotta cost GM very little to develop/build since it shares so much with the Tahoe, I'd think it's somewhat of a cash cow. I don't mind GM selling silly vehicles to silly people at a nice profit if that's what they really want to buy...

turbo200

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:20 PM

I still think the H2 style wise is pretty cool. It's a Hot Wheels car for 21st century. I don't think it's a design that will age terribly. In fact it still is pretty cool going down the road, though its effect is so common here it's a non-event. The execution of the concept is all wrong. There should be a more efficient way of tackling all of that vehicle's purposes and packaging them. It's horrendously packaged, and of course most of the execution in terms of quality/refinement leaves a bad taste. I would say about the only place it feels expensive/high line is the outside, though that needs updating too. The new Hx and H3 will fill the product vaccum well. Chief among priorities should be building a bigger platform than H3 that can offer a high line package while managing more efficiency, and live to a true heritage of being an off-road wonder. Hummer's lineup would then parallel Land Rover, with 2 medium large Suvs, one reasonably priced and the other exclusive and high end, and one compact.

I agree with those that believe Land Rover does a much better job at reaching the market and building this theme.

Brougham-Holiday

GXP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:51 PM

If they would just dump the whole Hummer brand I would be a much happier person. Only GM would dump Oldsmobile and keep a brand like Hummer. Just another brand without a purpose.

vonVeezelsnider

Denali Member

• Premium Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:32 PM

Kill Them All.

Oracle of Delphi

Proto European

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,388 posts