Buick Regal GS Gets Rated

Buick Regal GS Gets Rated

William Maley - Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

June 15, 2011

post-10485-0-63582000-1308158361.png

The time has come; Buick has released the final numbers for the Regal GS due out later this year and they are impressive. The Regal GS is rated at 270 HP and 295 lb-ft of torque. That will propel the European-derived sedan from 0-60 in 6.7 seconds according to GM.

“The Regal GS 2.0L turbo delivers the highest specific output of any production engine GM has ever offered, and at 135 hp per liter is the most power dense engine ever certified by SAE. We’ve been combining direct injection and variable valve timing with boosted engines since 2006, and there’s no question the Regal GS turbo has the responsiveness and acceleration of some V-6s, while delivering the fuel economy you’d expect of a four-cylinder,” said Mike Anderson, Ecotec global chief engineer and program manager.

GM claims that the peak torque of the engine is achieved at 2400 RPMs, while 95% of torque is available from 2300 RPM to 4900 RPM.

A six-speed manual will be the only available transmission at launch, but Buick is promising a six-speed automatic later on. With the manual, the car is expected to get an estimated 28 MPG highway.

Buick Regal GS Cranks 270 HP and 295 Lb-Ft of Torque

Exclusive Ecotec 2.0L turbocharged engine delivers more launch force than imports

2011-06-15

DETROIT – The 2012 Buick Regal GS, which arrives at dealerships this fall, has been SAE-certified to deliver 270 horsepower (201kW) and 295 lb.-ft. of torque (400Nm) for an estimated 0-60 mph performance of 6.7 seconds.

Regal GS’s exclusive Ecotec 2.0L direct-injected turbocharged four-cylinder engine delivers more torque than Acura TSX V-6, Audi A4 Sport, Lexus IS 250 and Volvo S60 T5. Torque is the twisting force that gets a vehicle moving and what the driver feels when accelerating.

“The Regal GS 2.0L turbo delivers the highest specific output of any production engine GM has ever offered, and at 135 hp per liter is the most power dense engine ever certified by SAE,” said Mike Anderson, Ecotec global chief engineer and program manager. “We’ve been combining direct injection and variable valve timing with boosted engines since 2006, and there’s no question the Regal GS turbo has the responsiveness and acceleration of some V-6s, while delivering the fuel economy you’d expect of a four-cylinder.”

Ecotec 2.0L turbo highlights include direct injection, continuously variable valve timing, forged steel crankshaft, twin scroll design turbocharger and an efficient intercooler system. The peak torque of 295 lb-ft is achieved at a relatively low 2400 rpm. There is 95 percent of peak torque available between 2300 and 4900 rpm.

The GS’s engine is mated to a standard six-speed manual transmission, and gets an estimated fuel economy of 28 mpg on the highway. A six-speed automatic transmission will be available later. The entire GS powertrain is covered by a five-year, 100,000-mile warranty.

Further reinforcing Regal GS’s performance appeal is its Interactive Drive Control System chassis technology, which delivers enhanced vehicle stability. The driver selects among three operating modes that change the suspension settings, and steering sensitivity through the variable-effort steering system. “GS” mode optimizes the car for dynamic driving, tightening the suspension and steering response. “Standard,” or the default mode, is the setting for all-around use. “Sport” mode provides a level of performance between standard and GS modes.

Regal GS also features a four-wheel-independent suspension, with a unique High Performance Strut (HiPerStrut) front suspension design. The HiPerStrut system helps reduce torque steer and maintain negative camber during cornering to keep the all-important tire contact patch on the pavement. The driver experiences improved grip and increased cornering power, along with crisper handling, steering precision and feedback.

The four-link independent rear suspension is designed to minimize unwanted toe and camber effects during spirited driving maneuvers, enhancing vehicle stability and tire grip. Both front and rear dampers incorporate active Computer Damping Control, continuously changing damper characteristics in real time to maintain optimal vehicle ride comfort over varying road surfaces and profiles. More aggressive, performance-oriented damping characteristics can also be selected by the driver when choosing “Sport” or “GS” mode.

Braking power comes from a large diameter four-wheel disc brake system featuring big, four-piston Brembo front calipers for optimal feel and modulation. A standard, four-channel anti-lock brake system is tuned to reduce stopping distances over varied road surfaces and conditions. The Regal GS also features standard StabiliTrak electronic stability control with integrated, full-speed traction control.

The GS cuts a sportier stance, too, with a lower ride height than other Regal models and aggressive 19-inch, 5-Twin Spoke alloy wheels and all-season tires (20-inch, 5-Twin Spoke polished alloy wheels with performance tires are optional).

“The 2012 Regal GS is well balanced with dynamic ride and handling, powerful brakes, great acceleration and excellent fuel economy,” said Robert Casparian, Regal product marketing manager. “And the fact that one can get such great performance in a gorgeous sport sedan makes it even more attractive.”

The extra power is a nice surprise, makes it stand out from the pack a bit more. Although I would have thought it would be faster than 6.7 seconds to 60 mph, unless GM has a conservative time. I've seen 0-60 times for a Camry V6 as low as 5.9 seconds and it gets 29 mpg highway. Front wheel drive has about hit is performance limit, the Regal GS at $35k can't offer performance that has already been done, and by some cars costing less.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

The time has come; Buick has released the final numbers for the Regal GS due out later this year and they are impressive. The Regal GS is rated at 270 HP and 295 lb-ft of torque. That will propel the European-derived sedan from 0-60 in 6.7 seconds according to GM.

6.7? That's not very impressive.

Still looks pretty good though.

I've seen 0-60 times for a Camry V6 as low as 5.9 seconds and it gets 29 mpg highway.

Yeah, but you're still driving a Camry.

I doubt if 99% of Camry owners know what the 0-60 time is, let alone care...or know if their appliance has a 4 (which some Camry owners call a 'V-4', I've heard that) or a V6...

Anyway, the Regal GS seems like a nice car...kind of a SAAB 9-3 Turbo style and experience in a Buick package...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 1

I doubt if 99% of Camry owners know what the 0-60 time is, let alone care...or know if their appliance has a 4 (which some Camry owners call a 'V-4', I've heard that) or a V6...

Anyway, the Regal GS seems like a nice car...kind of a SAAB 9-3 Turbo style and experience in a Buick package...

Yeah, I've heard Accord owners say V4 also... and my brother had said that even some techs had asked if he drives a V4 or V6.

The Regal does seem to match up well with the S60 T6 as well. I think that's its closest competitor.

• Agree 1

The extra power is a nice surprise, makes it stand out from the pack a bit more. Although I would have thought it would be faster than 6.7 seconds to 60 mph, unless GM has a conservative time. I've seen 0-60 times for a Camry V6 as low as 5.9 seconds and it gets 29 mpg highway.

The weight plays a big factor -

Camry V6 Curb Weight - 3483 lbs

Regal Turbo Curb Weight - 3671 lbs

Regal GS Curb Weight - 3710 lbs

The extra power is a nice surprise, makes it stand out from the pack a bit more. Although I would have thought it would be faster than 6.7 seconds to 60 mph, unless GM has a conservative time. I've seen 0-60 times for a Camry V6 as low as 5.9 seconds and it gets 29 mpg highway.

well, the GS being ~ 40lbs isn't bad. but the ~200lbs more than camry is a fairly big '1 more person" to haul everywhere, all the time, in base turbo form.

If they made a version w/ AWD they could probably get the weight closer to the magic 4000lb number.

i think if the mid range roll on acceleration is better than launch out of the gate it will be better for this car real world. but numbers are what they print in the reviews.....

a 4 cyl that is as fast as a turboX saab is what i hope. that should be fast enough for front drive. 28 mpg highway is a big plus. could have been less.

• Agree 1

There is no suprise here and this number is not all they can do so I would expect more in the future. Even a Turbo Upgrade kit may be in the works like my SS or the Solstice.

With the better trans axle it will be easy to go over the 300 HP level.

The weight issue is the car now the turbo. It is the price you pay for a better ride and more sound deadening. Remember this is a lot better level of a car than the Camry.

As for AWD I was not really wanting it in this car till they can either lose some weight or find a lighter or add a V6. AWD would not only add weight but rob more power from the engine.

• Agree 1

I've seen 0-60 times for a Camry V6 as low as 5.9 seconds

Did the driver intend the car to go 0-60 in 5.9 seconds or was it on autopilot? :AH-HA:

It's nice to hear the numbers are up a bit. As has been mentioned, the weight is really bogging down the performance numbers, but I'd say it's a solid entry all around. Anyone know if this is the "updated ecotec"? I know they were supposed to get updates sometime in 2012--just didn't know if it was for MY 2012, or in the actual 2012.

• Agree 1

I've seen 0-60 times for a Camry V6 as low as 5.9 seconds

Did the driver intend the car to go 0-60 in 5.9 seconds or was it on autopilot? :AH-HA:

It's nice to hear the numbers are up a bit. As has been mentioned, the weight is really bogging down the performance numbers, but I'd say it's a solid entry all around. Anyone know if this is the "updated ecotec"? I know they were supposed to get updates sometime in 2012--just didn't know if it was for MY 2012, or in the actual 2012.

I would expect this to be an updated LNF. Not sure what they would call this one. I think they had a LNX and LNY floating around for while but it never came to market both were 300 HP 275 LBS FT from 2600-5600 RPM with 2.1 liters. It got lost in the chapter 11.

I expect this engine will be Premium recomend as GM has practiced of late. On regular it will lose about 20 HP. While premium is not that much more they do not want to scare any potential buyer off because of the fuel. The new systems are sweet as you can run regular with no risk of damage but are rewarded with the extra power putting the good stuff in. My SS was this way till I upgraded the Turbo and the GTP is still this way.

While it may seem petty and silly to most here the thought of the price of premium does scare a lot of folks out there.

I never tried it in the HHR but I have done it in the GTP just to see the difference. It is not a lot but noticeable. There is more torque steer with the premium in the GTP.

• Agree 1

I must say I'm impressed, more car than I was expecting.

*sigh* but I can't help but long for the carrot that was dangled in front of us in the first place...bloody Europeans.

I wonder how much it would cost to black-market an Insignia OPC and switch the grilles and badges....

*sigh* but I can't help but long for the carrot that was dangled in front of us in the first place...bloody Europeans.

I wonder how much it would cost to black-market an Insignia OPC and switch the grilles and badges....

Even more than the price that GM would have charged.

Like everything else at GM this is only the begining and not the end. I would just keep your eyes open and just see what all is coming. GM is not telegraphing its moves 5 years out anymore. In most cases we know little about what is more than a year out anymore.

Just look at those here and elsewhere that use to hint and leak GM news that no longer speak openly even with strong hints.

I expect a lot of suprises coming.

I too wish the OPC would have made it intact but even in Europe it is expensive let alone what it would have been here. It may have been a tough sale here as once you get to that level people have a lot of very good choices.

Edited by hyperv6

The weight definitely hurts. I only used the Camry as an example, but the Altima V6 and Sonata 2.0T are quick also. 0-60 in 6.7 seconds and 28 mpg isn't anything special, several cars in the mid to high $20s offer that. I wonder how they will price it. I just think they will end up asking over $35k for it, maybe near $40k optioned up. That is CTS money for a FWD Buick, no thanks.

The CTS starts where the GS will leave off. This is just one of many models that made the OPC not a good idea here. The OPC is expensive in Europe alone and would have been as much or more here. At that price there are a lot of good choices to pick from makeing the Buick a diffcult sale.

The GS and Regal are still old GM yet. I expect we will get some good suprises in the future. It is too soon to expect them yet.

Lets face it at least GM had the Euro car of the year here for Buick vs a restyled Sebring as a 200.

6.7? That's not very impressive.

Indeed.

Like everything else at GM this is only the begining and not the end. I would just keep your eyes open and just see what all is coming. GM is not telegraphing its moves 5 years out anymore. In most cases we know little about what is more than a year out anymore.

Just look at those here and elsewhere that use to hint and leak GM news that no longer speak openly even with strong hints.

I too wish the OPC would have made it intact but even in Europe it is expensive let alone what it would have been here. It may have been a tough sale here as once you get to that level people have a lot of very good choices.

Maybe the 325 hp, AWD version will come as the GSX.

Not mind blowing, but respectable power.

Yes, but didn't GM say in the past that the Regal (this generation, at least) would only come equipped with four-pots? That's a little worry I have to consider. True, I'd love to see the 325hp AWD come over as a new GSX/Grand Nat/GNX, but I fear it not happening.

I also have to wonder how much more they can do to this car/engine to make it even better/sportier/whatever

Edited by Turbojett

this car has higher power ratings than a v6 malibu/aura and that car had scoot. it was closer to 6.0 with an automatic than the GS with a stick and more power.

this car will prob be at 5.9 0-60. The TurboX with its AWD was like 6.2, I'll be shocked if the GS can't at least match the AWD Trubo X in 0-60 times.

this car has higher power ratings than a v6 malibu/aura and that car had scoot. it was closer to 6.0 with an automatic than the GS with a stick and more power.

this car will prob be at 5.9 0-60. The TurboX with its AWD was like 6.2, I'll be shocked if the GS can't at least match the AWD Trubo X in 0-60 times.

The article states 6.7 seconds.

The article states 6.7 seconds.

yes i know but it will be faster.

Maybe the 325 hp, AWD version will come as the GSX.

Not mind blowing, but respectable power.

Yes, but didn't GM say in the past that the Regal (this generation, at least) would only come equipped with four-pots? That's a little worry I have to consider. True, I'd love to see the 325hp AWD come over as a new GSX/Grand Nat/GNX, but I fear it not happening.

I also have to wonder how much more they can do to this car/engine to make it even better/sportier/whatever

This engine is not even close to what can or could be done. It is just a matter of what GM whats to do with it. THe LNF in stock form can do 400 HP with no upgraded parts. Even then only the pistons and Valves are recomended for upgrade. GM is walking a line for performance and MPG. I would not be suprised to see the Eco Turbo breaking the 300 HP barrier soon. Torque with the GM upgrade was only limited by the driveline. They the Solstice 6 sp was sitting at 340 FT LBS with the full 5 year 100.000 mile factory warranty in place.

I suspect this car will not last long and will get a 2.0 version in the near future. This one will not sit still 8 years like many past models.

Camino you are not the target buyer here and it should not appeal to you. Again you have to look big picture as many here are no longer the average car buyer anylonger. Todays buyers are changing for better or worse to cars many of us here have no use for. Yes they will still offer us something but not in the numbers we used to get. It is like everything else time and markets change and that is why they have oldies stations on the radio. This is a Camry with some personality.

This car is to be a good sporting car to drive at a lower price than most rwd sports sedans. GM at this point as to work with what they have and could not do a clean sheet of paper car in only 2.5 years. This car will spark interest as it really is a good car but it is not the home run we are looking for. It is a good solid double and there meat of the batting order is still to come up.

I expect more power in the furure as well as weight reduction in the next version. I would not be suprised to see it alittle over 3300 pounds. The use of lighter and stronger steel is coming to the market with most companies. It is more expensive but will shed weight keep the 5 star ratings in place and will be cheaper than carbon fiber.

Lighter cars will cost more but do more for performance than anything else. Handling and braking will also improve not just 0-60 and MPG.

When it is outdone in both power and MPG by a ten-year-old LS1, that's just weak in my book.

Spin it any way you like, but that isn't progress.

As I said, not impressed.

Apples and oranges....Buick didn't have anything with an LS1 10 years ago. You can't compare something from then w/ now, and where it counts in this segment--interior content--the new car wins against anything Buick had 10 years ago..

It's a 4cyl FWD sedan, obviously not your niche of interest (not mine either) so for you to be 'not impressed' is as certain as the Pope is Catholic..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

When it is outdone in both power and MPG by a ten-year-old LS1, that's just weak in my book.

Spin it any way you like, but that isn't progress.

As I said, not impressed.

Outdone in MPG?? :confused0071:

GTO - 16/26

Camaro - 17/26

Corvette - 17/26

Regal - ??/est. 28

Outdone in power, sure. That's to be expected when you compare a V8 to a turbo 4.

But then again, it IS a sedan, and we already know that that's two strikes against it in your book.

I am going to throw one out there:

Camaro 3.6 - V6, RWD, 312 hp, 278 lb-ft torque, 3,741 lbs, 29 mpg

Regal GS - I-4, FWD, 270 hp, 295 lb-ft torque, 3,671* lbs, 28 mpg*

* - Estimated

Any more argument about I-4>>>V-6, and FWD>>>>>>>>RWD when it comes to fuel efficiency?

* - Estimated

Any more argument about I-4>>>V-6, and FWD>>>>>>>>RWD when it comes to fuel efficiency?

An even better example of why I'm critical of the GS.

I forgot one more number:

Camaro 3.6 - 0-60 5.9 sec (Car and Driver) (GM number - "under 6 seconds")

Regal GS - GM number - 6.7 sec

Contrary to you Camino, however, I like the GS, but for different reasons.

Oh, I dislike the Regal for other reasons to be sure. But it is this GS package that I find so disappointing.

It just doesn't measure-up.

I won't call it disappointing, GM should not portray it as a uber-performance vehicle. The problem is the weight of the Epsilons, the platform is about 300-400 lb too heavy.

Car and Driver will knock 0-60 to low 6 for sure.

For what the car is in the class it will play it can stand on its own. Audi A4, Acura TSX, VW CC, Lincoln MK-whatever, and lower Volvo S-60 have something to worry about.

* - Estimated

Bingo!

That recipe fails here.

Agreed!

* - Estimated

And one that's more readily acceptable than the anecdotal LS1 evidence... (and I'm pretty sure the Regal could achieve 35 MPG highway if driven like a little old lady)

* - Estimated

And one that's more readily acceptable than the anecdotal LS1 evidence... (and I'm pretty sure the Regal could achieve 35 MPG highway if driven like a little old lady)

Dude, I have gotten 32 mpg with a 405 hp LS6 by shifting just above 2000 rpm and taking 60 seconds to reach 60 mph. Am I a granny? :P

* - Estimated

g6 v6 was 17/25 and was a bit of a slug.

Power (SAE net): 280 bhp @ 5500 rpm<br style="font-size: 12px; ">Torque (SAE net): 295 lb-ft @ 2150 rpm

Curb weight: 3924 lb<br style="font-size: 12px; ">

C/D TEST RESULTS: <br style="font-size: 12px; ">Zero to 60 mph: 6.0 sec

those were the test numbers for the v6 turbo AWD saab turboX wagon.

if the Regal does not match this, it would more likely be to lost traction from only having fwd as opposed to the AWD of the turbo X, but the epa ratings on the turbo X were 15/24 i think.

i suspect the Regal will be in that 5.8-5.9 range, and will probably EPA at 18/28. GM's v8 Grand Prix with dinosaur 4 speed auto turned a 5.7 albeit with higher power ratings and less curb weight.

G8 GXP which was faster was like 13/20........those who like to save gas money may mind. and edmunds didn't really say it was much faster....

Performance

The 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP is powered by a 6.2-liter V8 that pumps out 415 horsepower and 415 pound-feet of torque, which is 54 hp and 30 lb-ft more than the G8 GT's 6.0-liter V8 can manage. Our test car was equipped with the optional six-speed manual transmission. At the test track, we recorded an impressive 0-60-mph sprint of 5.2 seconds en route to a sizzling 13.4-second quarter-mile at 105.9 mph.

car and driver got 4.7 time from the g8 GXP. that with a 3800 pound curb weight but that very low EPA rating and one second faster basically on the 0-60.

VW CC has 'only 207' hp yet manages a 6.4 0-60 which actually amidst all this penis waving should actually be the most alarming number which the Regal should feel shamed by........

regular regal turbo manages 7.5 0-60......the GS has like 25% more power so if the weight is close, the GS times should decrease about 25% from that.

Edited by regfootball

I know this is hard to beleive but most buyers today don't want RWD or even a V8. The Regal is a sporting car for them and it will sell as witnessed by the large number of them on the roads here at least in the midwest.

when 80% of the market is already in FWD sedans it shows where the market is. Even when offered RWD and V8's that get mythical levels of MPG most buyers pass. The market has changed.

0-150,000 sales mean more than a second on 0-60 MPH. Like I have been told here before it is about results but to get to the point it is about sales.

The Regal is not the second coming of BMW as it is more a sporting Malibu. GM has had to work with what they had and the car has sold well in Europe and China. Many here will find it to their needs too. It is a Camry with some personality.

GM is not just getting to new product that was developed post chapter 11. I expect weights to start to decline with the use of new materials but the fact is they are not here yet. GMh and all other MFG's have to keep their 5 star crash ratings in the mean time and that means weight.

The Regal is not where GM is going just a Vehicle to buy time and help keep them viable till they get to the product they want. Not not all of their new cars are going to BMW killers either.

In the long or short of it even while this is not a car for most people here it is a car the market has taken too and should do well in sales. The next version of this is the one to expect greater change as in less weight. If they fail then that will be a problems as the rest of the market is moving this direction too.

The LS engines love to cruise the highway - super efficient in that mode.

Around town they are just too much fun to make good mpg numbers.

:neenerneener:

If driven around town and like they should they fall well short of the ultra high numbers. Whle they still do pretty well they fall short of what the average buyer wants. The Regal is not a car trying to be a replacment for the LS loving Camaro owner.

It will do well with the people who are into this type of car. God knows there are a ton of Regals here on the roads. Most with under 50 year old drivers.

Edited by hyperv6

The lack of RWD and a V8 has nothing to do with my criticism of the GS.

It simply fails in its mission to provide performance while maintaining MPG.

Isn't that what potent 4-bangers are supposed to do?

No, this car lacks the capabilities that it promised.