Drew Dowdell

2020 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Reveal

the long wait for the mid-engine Corvette is over...

The time has come for the Corvette to mid-engine architecture.

Powering the Corvette is a 6.2 liter V8 LT2 making and SAE certified 495 horsepower and 470 lb-ft of torque when equipped with an optional exhaust system. In Z51 form, the car is expected to hit 60 mph in less than 3 seconds. The base output of the engine has not been revealed yet. The LT2 engine is based on the LT1 with a new aluminum block. This new engine features a dry-sump oiling system and three scavenger pumps to fight oil starvation in high-G maneuvers on a track.

People looking for three pedals will be disappointed to find that no manual transmission will be offered.  Instead an 8-speed dual clutch automatic will take over shifting duties and likely execute them faster than any human could. The DCT is setup with a low first gear for quick take off and tall seventh and eighth for fuel economy. The gears in between are close ratio to keep the engine strongly in the power band.

Those who want a removable roof will be happy to find that option still there and can be stored in the rear compartment. There will be 3 interior seat options, six interior colors, six seat-belt colors, and two optional stitching packages.

The suspension is a double-wishbone design with oil over dampers, while the Z51 package gets magnetic ride control. A front lift system can lift the nose and use GPS to mark the location where you lifted the nose for future use. An electric brake system is more precise and is tunable by the driver. All Stingrays get an electronic limited-slip differential.

The front trunk and rear trunk combined can handle 12.6 cubic feet of cargo space. The structure of the Stingray built from high-pressure diecast aluminum and has a carbon fiber rear bumper.

Pricing will start at less than $60,000.

Another monotone charcoal interior from GM.  Fans of the C7 should like the looks, I think the C7 is ugly through, the C6 and C5 were both better designs.  Interior ergonomics look a mess with that long strip of buttons.  Appears like it will be fast though, I bet the performance is good with the mid-engine design.  A base C8 will probably perform with or better than a C7 Z06.

Early images (meaning there will be other colors options for the interior) and it will still smoke 90% of the cars coming from Germany for less money. I do agree about the buttons. Somebody was drunk on the job when they designed that one.

Aside from the stupid buttons along the side of the driver, it looks pretty damn sharp.

@smk4565—I know everyone has an opinion about looks but the C7 looked far better than the previous two.

Pricing is what I am waiting for.  And will they price it at a point where a lot of current Corvette buyers are not going to pay?   And that is key because Corvette isn't going to conquest Italian sports cars.   Even contesting Porsche will be hard.  This seems like an NSX but for what the NSX actually should cost, because the NSX pricing is a joke, that car is $50k overpriced.

I am also curious on all performance specs when they come out.

Edited by smk4565

I like it, but those center console buttons are a joke.  How is that intuitive at all to hit anything specific while driving?!

1 minute ago, surreal1272 said:

Given that these are unofficial leaks, I have my doubts about the “final look” of it.

They're real.

Corvette isn't going to conquest Italian sports cars.

Why not- it's been doing that for most of it's history.

I think this was a hell of an engineering effort to put this together and I am shocked it starts under $60k.  I imagine that $60k Corvette is like the $35k Tesla Model 3, but even selling this much performance at the $70-80k range is a bargain.

I do really like the carbon fiber rear reinforcement bar and the front suspension lift that will rise automatically with GPS.  I like intuitive things that make it easier and who want to have to stop and hit a button everyday pulling into the driveway.

They did a really good job with this overall, high pricing would have killed them, they priced this right.  I am not a fan of the styling, looks too like a Ferrari and I don’t like Ferrari styling, and that center console is nuts, but performance per dollar is a win.

Why not- it's been doing that for most of it's history.

Because it is a Chevrolet.  I wouldn’t buy another Chevy (I owned one) no matter how good it was and Ferrari and Lamborghini drivers are way snobbier than I am.

overcooked like the current corvette and camaro. damn.

a strip of buttons? a touchscreen that looks like a tablet somebody dropped there?

it doesnt say corvette when i look at it. at all.

the recent chevy design language has got to go. all angles and fake vents, no elegance. this design will age quickly and badly like the current camaro.

they botched it. at a time when they absolutely HAD to hit a home run.

performance will probably be remarkable, but what does it matter when you look like that.

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

They're real.

I went brain dead there and only looked at the digital exterior pic and the one interior pic. Knowing this, I still like the look but those buttons are just a nightmarish disaster.

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

I have checked other sites and they show interiors with two tone interiors and several different colors. This shot may be closer to the base model interior which isn’t bad at all (again aside from those buttons).

52A2E990-5351-4523-97D2-D9B7740434DD.jpeg

13E73459-79F3-4CA8-B765-5328DEC848EF.jpeg

6 hours ago, balthazar said:

It’s not a Chevrolet tho; it’s The Corvette.

Which dealership sells and services it?   And it actually is and has always been a Chevrolet.

Wow, I am more than pleased with this.  It still embodies what a Corvette should be... a halo car for Chevrolet.  It is still a bit humble/corny/"American", with a stupendous measure of performance, and the starting price just puts icing on the cake.

I was prepared to pan it as too foo-foo for a Corvette, too Euro-centric, but it wears our flag on its sleeve so proudly, and that aspect endears it to me instantly.  It is one of those designs that bonds immediately to the viewer... not every vehicle is able to do that... there is an adjustment period often required.  Not here.  Not with me.  I've already built "mine" (and I will wear that configurator out again and again), with no goofy wing to distract from that perfect ass.

I hope they sell the heck out of them.  I can learn a frickin' row of buttons, the buttons do not scare me.

ykX

Posted (edited)

I can't say I love the look but it is still looks like a Corvette and it is a cool looking mid engine supercar that starts at $60k!

Even with options at $70-80k it probably will smoke most of the stuff coming out of Germany and Italy that costs three times as much.

Good for GM for pulling it off, I really hope it justifies the hype.

I am doubly excited not because I will be able to afford even the base C8 Corvette but because I think at this price point most of the Vette crowd will flock to get it, dumping the C6 and C7 which means in the next year there should be very good deals that might allow me maybe to grab one at a price point I can afford.  I would love to have C6 Z06 or C7 GS.

Edited by ykX

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

What does service have to do with it; I can get a Jeep serviced at a Chevy dealer. Are there any Chevy emblems or nameplates on a Corvette?

You are just being obstinate...Corvettes have always been Chevrolets.  Nothing wrong with that.  I'm sure on the title or registration it will say Chevrolet.   It's not a separate brand.   And there is a little bowtie on the winged bird emblem.

Edited by Robert Hall

I assume the convertible version will follow within a year to 18 months.    It will be interesting to see how the Corvettes' usual 65 yr old male buyers react to it...

The styling is kind how I expected it to be, some C7 general styling cues with mid-engined silhouette and proportions..a slight resemblance in profile to the F430, but squarer and bigger scoops.  At least they didn't go full Silverado with the front end.

Edited by Robert Hall

21 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Other than the Ford GT (tho that’s actively ID’d as a ‘Ford’), I don’t think there’s any other singular model more separate from its parent brand. It hasn’t said Chevrolet’ on it, I believe, in about 50 years.

Point being; that it how the car is perceived by consumers; as a ‘Corvette’ 1st, and as a ‘Chevy’ around 95th. Potential buyers aren’t thinking ‘Oh, the same brand made the Aveo, I can’t buy one!’ There’s a towering ‘firewall’ of perception there.

Ferrari had been owned by Fiat for 40 years now.

Edited by balthazar

On the plus side, after decades, it looks like a completely different car yet still identifiable enough as a domestic and a Corvette.  It would be nice to see a cut-away showing the placement of the engine and how it meshes with the transmission.

This week, Hagerty obtained a document from General Motors' executive director in charge of program management, Michelle Braun that says development on future car and truck programs has been paused due to the COVID-19 outbreak. But the document also mentions some intriguing information on upcoming powertrains for the C8 Corvette. Here are the details,
      Corvette Z06: 5.5L DOHC V8 known as the LT6 that will produce 650 horsepower and 600 pound-feet of torque. No mention of any type of forced-induction. Corvette Gran Sport: 6.2L OHC V8 with a hybrid system that's expected to produce 600 horsepower and 500 pound-feet of torque. Corvette ZR1: Twin-Turbo 5.5L DOHC V8, dubbed LT7. Output is expected to be 850 horsepower and 800 pound-feet. Corvette Zora: The powerhouse of the C8, it will take the Twin-Turbo LT7 and augment with a hybrid system. This is expected to produce 1,000 horsepower and 975 pound-feet of torque. Hagerty's report says the rollout of the new engines will begin in 2022 with the LT6, but the COVID-19 outbreak may push the plans back.
      Source: Hagerty

Source: Hagerty
    • By David
      According to MotorTrend, fords Mach e while pissing off the mustang faithful has already sold out all production for America and Europe for the first year. As such with GM having a flexible EV platform and considerable new EVs coming over the next 3 years, this begs the question of Could GM produce a Camaro EV CUV and call it the Z28? With the first nine auto's off the EV platform to be a Cadillac, one has to wonder how GM might fit the sporty performance into their product line and having a performance CUV Camaro could be the magic ticket.
      To quote the MotorTrend story: we'd expect a Chevy Camaro electric SUV to at least match the 255 horsepower Ford is targeting for the base Mustang Mach-E. For higher-trim variants, Chevy would likely have to adopt a dual-motor all-wheel-drive setup to stay competitive with the 332-hp, 417-lb-ft Mach-E 4 and 459-hp, 612-lb-ft Mach-E GT.

• You can't fit comfy in anything though so that's a moot point.  You'd complain about the rear seat space in an S-Class or a Range Rover..but not a CT6. 🤔 If they were doing everything to cut corners, it wouldn't have been the first Lincoln to have its own switchgear and engines not used from a Ford. "The expansive rear seat provides plenty of room for passengers to stretch out, and options such as our test car’s $4300 Rear-Seat package make for a sybaritic experience back there, with heating, cooling, power-adjustable lumbar support, and powered recliners for the occupants. " - You're just massive "All of the cabin's touch points are high-quality; Lincoln has created its own switchgear for the Continental (and eventually the rest of the Lincoln line) with knurled-metal control knobs on the steering wheel and A/C system, and unique turn-signal stalks. Just about the only Ford-style switchgear I could find in the cabin were the window switches on the doors, and the overhead storage binnacle mounted just forward of the optional panoramic moonroof. "
    • A world of ENDLESS payments for minuscule differences. Poor financial strategy.
    • So sorry that happened to your van.
    • First off ROOM inside. I could not sit comfy in the front and have anyone sit behind me. Even if a short person was upfront, I could not sit comfy in back but had to slouch due to no head room with a bunker sucking window view out. The car had style, but everything they could to cut corners they did including not making it a roomy true to life RWD Big Car that big people could sit in. Failure from the get go by Ford. Hard plastics on what was supposed to be the relaunch of luxury. Anything but that. So if you wanted to compare it, was a Ford version of a Kia.
    • Yeah, I could see EVs being commodity appliances.   But are enough people willing to drop $40k or more on an unknown brand appliance?   Maybe if they are made available as monthly subscriptions/leases... I could see someone 'subscribing' to an EV online, have it delivered to their house, then use it for a period of time (24 months?), subscription is up, it gets picked up and disposed of, a new, improved one is dropped off....just like a phone... strange new world..