Drew Dowdell

2020 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Reveal

the long wait for the mid-engine Corvette is over...

The time has come for the Corvette to mid-engine architecture.

Powering the Corvette is a 6.2 liter V8 LT2 making and SAE certified 495 horsepower and 470 lb-ft of torque when equipped with an optional exhaust system. In Z51 form, the car is expected to hit 60 mph in less than 3 seconds. The base output of the engine has not been revealed yet. The LT2 engine is based on the LT1 with a new aluminum block. This new engine features a dry-sump oiling system and three scavenger pumps to fight oil starvation in high-G maneuvers on a track.

People looking for three pedals will be disappointed to find that no manual transmission will be offered.  Instead an 8-speed dual clutch automatic will take over shifting duties and likely execute them faster than any human could. The DCT is setup with a low first gear for quick take off and tall seventh and eighth for fuel economy. The gears in between are close ratio to keep the engine strongly in the power band.

Those who want a removable roof will be happy to find that option still there and can be stored in the rear compartment. There will be 3 interior seat options, six interior colors, six seat-belt colors, and two optional stitching packages.

The suspension is a double-wishbone design with oil over dampers, while the Z51 package gets magnetic ride control. A front lift system can lift the nose and use GPS to mark the location where you lifted the nose for future use. An electric brake system is more precise and is tunable by the driver. All Stingrays get an electronic limited-slip differential.

The front trunk and rear trunk combined can handle 12.6 cubic feet of cargo space. The structure of the Stingray built from high-pressure diecast aluminum and has a carbon fiber rear bumper.

Pricing will start at less than $60,000.

Another monotone charcoal interior from GM.  Fans of the C7 should like the looks, I think the C7 is ugly through, the C6 and C5 were both better designs.  Interior ergonomics look a mess with that long strip of buttons.  Appears like it will be fast though, I bet the performance is good with the mid-engine design.  A base C8 will probably perform with or better than a C7 Z06.

Early images (meaning there will be other colors options for the interior) and it will still smoke 90% of the cars coming from Germany for less money. I do agree about the buttons. Somebody was drunk on the job when they designed that one.

Aside from the stupid buttons along the side of the driver, it looks pretty damn sharp.

@smk4565—I know everyone has an opinion about looks but the C7 looked far better than the previous two.

smk4565

Posted (edited)

Pricing is what I am waiting for.  And will they price it at a point where a lot of current Corvette buyers are not going to pay?   And that is key because Corvette isn't going to conquest Italian sports cars.   Even contesting Porsche will be hard.  This seems like an NSX but for what the NSX actually should cost, because the NSX pricing is a joke, that car is $50k overpriced.

I am also curious on all performance specs when they come out.

Edited by smk4565

I like it, but those center console buttons are a joke.  How is that intuitive at all to hit anything specific while driving?!

Given that these are unofficial leaks, I have my doubts about the “final look” of it.

1 minute ago, surreal1272 said:

They're real.

Corvette isn't going to conquest Italian sports cars.

Why not- it's been doing that for most of it's history.

I think this was a hell of an engineering effort to put this together and I am shocked it starts under $60k.  I imagine that $60k Corvette is like the $35k Tesla Model 3, but even selling this much performance at the $70-80k range is a bargain.

I do really like the carbon fiber rear reinforcement bar and the front suspension lift that will rise automatically with GPS.  I like intuitive things that make it easier and who want to have to stop and hit a button everyday pulling into the driveway.

They did a really good job with this overall, high pricing would have killed them, they priced this right.  I am not a fan of the styling, looks too like a Ferrari and I don’t like Ferrari styling, and that center console is nuts, but performance per dollar is a win.

Why not- it's been doing that for most of it's history.

Because it is a Chevrolet.  I wouldn’t buy another Chevy (I owned one) no matter how good it was and Ferrari and Lamborghini drivers are way snobbier than I am.

overcooked like the current corvette and camaro. damn.

a strip of buttons? a touchscreen that looks like a tablet somebody dropped there?

it doesnt say corvette when i look at it. at all.

the recent chevy design language has got to go. all angles and fake vents, no elegance. this design will age quickly and badly like the current camaro.

they botched it. at a time when they absolutely HAD to hit a home run.

performance will probably be remarkable, but what does it matter when you look like that.

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

They're real.

I went brain dead there and only looked at the digital exterior pic and the one interior pic. Knowing this, I still like the look but those buttons are just a nightmarish disaster.

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

I have checked other sites and they show interiors with two tone interiors and several different colors. This shot may be closer to the base model interior which isn’t bad at all (again aside from those buttons).

52A2E990-5351-4523-97D2-D9B7740434DD.jpeg

13E73459-79F3-4CA8-B765-5328DEC848EF.jpeg

6 hours ago, balthazar said:

It’s not a Chevrolet tho; it’s The Corvette.

Which dealership sells and services it?   And it actually is and has always been a Chevrolet.

Wow, I am more than pleased with this.  It still embodies what a Corvette should be... a halo car for Chevrolet.  It is still a bit humble/corny/"American", with a stupendous measure of performance, and the starting price just puts icing on the cake.

I was prepared to pan it as too foo-foo for a Corvette, too Euro-centric, but it wears our flag on its sleeve so proudly, and that aspect endears it to me instantly.  It is one of those designs that bonds immediately to the viewer... not every vehicle is able to do that... there is an adjustment period often required.  Not here.  Not with me.  I've already built "mine" (and I will wear that configurator out again and again), with no goofy wing to distract from that perfect ass.

I hope they sell the heck out of them.  I can learn a frickin' row of buttons, the buttons do not scare me.

ykX

Posted (edited)

I can't say I love the look but it is still looks like a Corvette and it is a cool looking mid engine supercar that starts at $60k!

Even with options at $70-80k it probably will smoke most of the stuff coming out of Germany and Italy that costs three times as much.

Good for GM for pulling it off, I really hope it justifies the hype.

I am doubly excited not because I will be able to afford even the base C8 Corvette but because I think at this price point most of the Vette crowd will flock to get it, dumping the C6 and C7 which means in the next year there should be very good deals that might allow me maybe to grab one at a price point I can afford.  I would love to have C6 Z06 or C7 GS.

Edited by ykX

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

What does service have to do with it; I can get a Jeep serviced at a Chevy dealer. Are there any Chevy emblems or nameplates on a Corvette?

You are just being obstinate...Corvettes have always been Chevrolets.  Nothing wrong with that.  I'm sure on the title or registration it will say Chevrolet.   It's not a separate brand.   And there is a little bowtie on the winged bird emblem.

Edited by Robert Hall

I assume the convertible version will follow within a year to 18 months.    It will be interesting to see how the Corvettes' usual 65 yr old male buyers react to it...

The styling is kind how I expected it to be, some C7 general styling cues with mid-engined silhouette and proportions..a slight resemblance in profile to the F430, but squarer and bigger scoops.  At least they didn't go full Silverado with the front end.

Edited by Robert Hall

balthazar

Posted (edited)

21 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Other than the Ford GT (tho that’s actively ID’d as a ‘Ford’), I don’t think there’s any other singular model more separate from its parent brand. It hasn’t said Chevrolet’ on it, I believe, in about 50 years.

Point being; that it how the car is perceived by consumers; as a ‘Corvette’ 1st, and as a ‘Chevy’ around 95th. Potential buyers aren’t thinking ‘Oh, the same brand made the Aveo, I can’t buy one!’ There’s a towering ‘firewall’ of perception there.

Ferrari had been owned by Fiat for 40 years now.

Edited by balthazar

On the plus side, after decades, it looks like a completely different car yet still identifiable enough as a domestic and a Corvette.  It would be nice to see a cut-away showing the placement of the engine and how it meshes with the transmission.

Haven't seen any engine bay pics...I assume the engine will be north-south ahead of the transaxle.

At least if you have a problem you can save time and money by buying malibu taillamps instead.

• By Drew Dowdell
      People have been waiting decades for a mid-engine Corvette, now the wait just got a little longer; the C8 Corvette has been officially delayed.  You can blame the 40 day UAW strike and the fact that Chevrolet still has C7 Corvette orders to fulfill before Bowling Green can be switched over to build the new car.
      Once the C7 orders have been filled, the plant will be shut down for an undetermined amount of time in order for new tooling to be brought in and training on the new car is completed.  As of now, the scheduled start of production is February 2020.

• By Drew Dowdell

• By Drew Dowdell
      If you're currently a Ford Mustang owner or lessee, until the end of October there is $3,000 waiting for you on the hood of any 2019 Chevrolet Camaro.  Chevy's Camaro has consistently ranked third in sales behind the Dodge Challenger and Ford Mustang ever since the 6th generation model debuted for 2016. Sales fell further in 2019 after a disastrous redesign of the front fascia on SS trim models, down 7.6% year to date.  This despite the greater availability of 4-cylinder models and packages that put the V8 in easier reach.
      While the Camaro is down 7.6 percent, the Mustang has also fallen 10.1 percent and Challenger is down 11 percent year to date.  The Ford and the Dodge however sold 20,000 units and 10,000 units more respectively.
      Camaro sales were just 50,963 in 2018, down from a 2011 high of 88,249, and are on pace to be much lower this year.

• By Drew Dowdell
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Ahead of the 2019 SEMA show in Las Vegas, Chevrolet gave us a preview of the 2021 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2.  After the refresh, the Colorado will show greater differentiation from trim to trim.  All Colorados will feature embossed Chevrolet tailgates instead of the rear bowtie badge. The bowtie up front will be revised.
      The WT, LT, and Z71 will get updated center bars, lower fascias, and front skid plates for 2021. The WT and LT get gold bowties while the Z71 gets a black one.
      The ZR2 off-road variant gets a new look (shown above), and will be the only Colorado to get a lettered front fasica.
      The ZR2 continues to get Multimatic DSSV Position senstitive dampers, standard front and rear locking differentials, 2-inch suspension lift, 3.5 inch wider track, off-road rocker protection, cast iron control arms, autotrac transfer case, multiple skid plates, and now standard red tow hooks.
      Over 520,000 Colorado pickups have been built to date.
      The Colorado will continue to be built at GM's Wentzville Plant and the 2021 will go on sale midway through next year.

• 442 : I have seen where your automotive passions lie, and I have no issues with that, of course. Always; to each, his own. I know I am generally very particular- that's just me. There's no singular automotive segment that I like unilaterally. • 1960 Eldorado Seville coupe, for me? Why, thank you, anonymous wealthy donor, I shall love it like my own child! • 1960 Merc Park Lane coupe, for me? Ummm, may I politely allow another to appreciate this automobile over myself?
    • I can relate...i like a lot of stuff from a lot of manufacturers.  I'm sure some of it is due to what I was exposed to at an early age.   '60s-70s muscle cars and pony cars, full size American cars from the '60s-80s (esp. '69-72), personal luxury coupes.  Mustangs were my first loves. Over the years have gained an appreciation for German luxury and performance sedans, esp. the big Mercs of the 80s to today.  I like Northstar Cadillacs.  I like JDM performance cars like the older Skylines, though I've only seen a few in person.  Like a variety of Porsches and other European performance cars.  Like modern Volvo wagons.   I love a variety of Jeeps.  Love vintage race cars.
    • Impossible, they're only 3 inches apart. I assumed the GX will replace the Encore, but that's a curious way to go about it; just enlarge the next Encore. This continual halving of vehicle segments is not sustainable.
    • I get you. And yes, I see what you are sayin' and I agree with it. My choice of words, whether worded wrong or right, I did not realize the impact it might have.  And yes, I have formed that theme and bias.  I like muscle car type cars. I like performance oriented cars.  I like automotive rivalries and what cars come out of that rivalry.  I usually like how cars have evolved as a product in their own environment.   Skylines, to me, are muscle car like.  Originally, the cars were normal cars that were stuffed with higher performance engines in them creating a faster car. And over the years and decades, we got what we have today.  So I like Skylines.   Any car stuffed with a big V8 where normally a smaller engine resides, I like. The AMG Hammer in the late 80s and more often than not, the modern AMG V8 cars, I enjoy those. I like Ford GT40 versus Ferrari 250s.  I like Lamborghinis versus Ferraris. I like Chevy versus Ford versus Dodge. And if you have the patience to read my posts, you will clearly see what cars I usually have passion for.

1. InvictaMan