Chevrolet Readies A New Strategy To Stop Ford and Dodge From Eating Camaro's "Lunch"

Will it be enough?

From 2010 to 2014, the Chevrolet Camaro was undisputed sales champion of the U.S. sports cars. But since 2015, the Camaro has been falling behind the likes of the Ford Mustang. At the time, Chevrolet officials were okay with giving up some volume to boost profitability. Unlike Ford which started focusing on lower-end models, Chevrolet decided to target performance-oriented models with high price tags.

But this year, the Camaro has been outsold by both the Mustang and Dodge Challenger - the latter using a platform that is over a decade old. Chevrolet is now planning to fight back by focusing on the lower-end of the market, a place where Ford and Dodge have been making big inroads.

"Frankly, they've been eating our lunch. The low [transaction prices] of a four-cylinder ... that's where the bulk of the sales are and that's where our pricing strategy needed improvement. We plan to go head to head — and win," said Al Oppenheiser, chief engineer of the Camaro to Automotive News.

"What's happening in the sport car segment, there's a lot more volume in the low-to-mid part of the market. We do a phenomenal job with our loaded SS's, and it's great business for us, but the reality is there's an awful lot of people who just want a great looking sports car somewhere in that $30,000 range, and that's what we're going to deliver," said Steve Majoros, Chevy's marketing director for cars and crossovers.

Karl Brauer, executive publisher of Kelley Blue Book said Chevrolet adding the 1LE package for the turbo-four Camaro will allow it to be better compete with the Mustang. But he also questioned whether Chevrolet went far enough with the 2019 refresh to address some of styling issues that have turned off some buyers.

"It doesn't hurt to have a lot of value for the money. I just wonder if that alone is the real stumbling block," said Brauer.

"It just doesn't have the personality that the other two cars offer."

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

I so totally agree with this story and the thoughts of Kelley Blue Book's executive publisher. I think Camaro does need to be in the bottom entry level segment, but I still do not think they have gone far enough in fixing the image issues and value.

I am a Mustang fan but I am not a hardcore fan, I actually was considering Camaro somewhat because of its performance but was not a fan of exterior.  However, after I sat in one it sealed it for me - it was night and day compared to the Mustang, not even close.  I am not sure the pricing is the biggest issue.

Edited by ykX

The new Camaro looks so fckn ugly that nothing will help the refreshed one sell. They done screwed the refresh up.

Maybe they do a quick MCE and give it a new front end for '20.  The big problem they can't change w/ this generation, though, is the chop top and micro windows.

10 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Also the trunk opening that can barely fit a bag of marshmallows through it.

The Mustang trunk opening isn't massive by any means but my god they've made the Camaro hardly livable for anybody who wants to daily it.

Camaro Trunk.jpg

Mustang Trunk.jpg

I haven't sat in or looked too closely at the 6th gen interior, have they improved over the Fisher Price plastics of the 5th gen?

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I think the interior was a major improvement over the 5th gen. At least looks-wise. It was too long ago to really remember what anything felt or sounded like.

Of the 3, I'd go with the Challenger--bigger, bigger interior, bigger trunk and a sunroof available (the Mustang hasn't had a sunroof option in decades).

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

Also the trunk opening that can barely fit a bag of marshmallows through it.

Camaro Trunk.jpg

Mustang Trunk.jpg

WOW, Been awhile since I looked at them, then again, I love my SUVs. Yet thank you for posting the pics, that is a pathetic trunk.

So ya made me go look and WTF, Mustang has just as crappy a trunk. Looks like GM and Ford joined forces in the crappy trunk area.

See the source image

Clearly Challenger wins here for a trunk opening but also seems to have the same failed trunk design. Why is it so hard to have a proper opening. No wonder people love the CUV / SUV for hauling stuff.

See the source image

These trunks make it very hard to have as a daily driver, I give the win to Challenger for space access.

2 hours ago, ykX said:

Cool to hear, what all did you like about the interior of the Camaro over the Ford?

So the interior is that much better than the Ford?

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I agree, like the Honda Mess, I think GM needs to roll out a MCE on the Camaro to fix the exterior style issues. Trunk issue, Window issues, etc.  will have to be fixed in an all new model.

On the subject of tiny pony car trunks, my favorite Mustang of the ones I've had was a hatchback.  A bit shallow, but w/ the backseat folded down, quite a bit of space.

So the interior is that much better than the Ford?

I maybe was not clear, I dislike the exterior of the Camaro but I really hated the interior, not even close to Mustang's interior.  Visibility is horrendous, claustrophobic feeling, just didn't feel right from the first moment.   Didn't like how interior looks as well.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

, Mustang has just as crappy a trunk.

Are you drinking that Chevy Kool-Aid or something? The Mustang's isn't good but it definitely isn't as small of an opening as the Camaro's.

Yes, the Challenger clearly has the advantage in any competition that involves more space to the user.

Current Camaro has a convertible like cargo capacity.. like less than 10 cubic feet IIRC.  It is really bad.  The Mustang is pretty much what I would expect, probably 12-14 cubic feet.

33 minutes ago, frogger said:

Yup, pretty spot on.

Camaro Trunk Cap..PNG

Mustang Trunk Cap..PNG

Sounds like the Camaro needs a brand new model rather than just an MCE, just on looks and trunk space alone.  As for the 4cyl, that is the reality that we live in if they want higher Camaro sales.

Back in the F-body days, the majority of Camaro and Firebird sales were V6 models, not the faster and hairier V8 models.  The Mustang had the exact same sales mix.  Apparently, not much as changed in 50 years.

Yeah, no sh!t sherlock.  The Camaro used to be about being an affordable sports car, then they wanted it to be about putting 500-600 hp V8s in there and charging $70,000 for it, but that is what the Corvette is for.  The Camaro's focus should have always been $25-50k price range, they lost focus.

Nothing they do will help Camaro sales unless they totally redesign the car to give it more interior room and windows you can see out of.  The Camaro has a disproportionate number of male buyers )or potential buyers), mostly older male buyers, which means you have a lot of larger people trying to fit in this car.  Every year at the auto show I see guys in their 50s and 60s saying the Cadillac CTS is too small, not enough head room, too hard to get in and out of, etc.  Compare that to a Camaro.  If people can't fit in it or can't see out of it, doesn't matter what the price is.

1 hour ago, riviera74 said:

Hmmm; what's the 'F-Body days'?
    '67 :: 17K 6's  /  65K 8's
    '73 :: 14K 6's  /  32K 8's
    '83 :: 32K 4's  /  11K 6's  /  32K 8's
    '91 :: Firebird, Formula, T/A & GTA. F-bird had the 6 standard, but had 2 optional V8s. I don't have the engine breakdown handy. 24K Firebirds, 6,343 T/As.
    '99 :: 18K Firebird 6's  /  1,602 Formula 8's  /  16K T/A 8's

Firebird V8s was always a strong seller, and by the above, was usually the majority of sales.

9 hours ago, balthazar said:

Hmmm; what's the 'F-Body days'?
    '67 :: 17K 6's  /  65K 8's
    '73 :: 14K 6's  /  32K 8's
    '83 :: 32K 4's  /  11K 6's  /  32K 8's
    '99 :: 18K Firebird 6's  /  1,602 Formula 8's  /  16K T/A 8's

OK. Does that apply to the Camaro?  I agree that this does NOT apply to the Firebird.

I suspect it might be even more lop-sided at Chevy- found these numbers~
    Camaro :
    '67 :: 58K 6's  /  162K 8's
    '73 :: 3K 6's  /  93K 8's
    '77 :: 31K 6's  /  187K 8's

'83 :: 63K 4's  /  28K 6's  /  63K 8's
    '91 :: 31K 6's  /  69K 8's

Edited by balthazar

In the 70s-90s V8’s were rather common though.  The V8 of then also made in the 250-305 hp range for a lot of those years.  Those are V6 numbers now, or even turbo 4 numbers now.

V8’s today are not that common, mostly only in high dollar luxury sedans or sports cars and full size trucks which is changing quickly.  Back in the 80s every Cadillac (minus the Cimarron) had a V8, now most Cadillacs are V6 and they sell more 4’s than 8’s.

Times changed and the Camaro is stuck in the past trying to be a V8 car but a V8 car of today is super expensive which is not what the Camaro should be.

V8s were common in the '70s, but 6s were quite common too. In '70, the Biscayne, Bel Air, Impala, Chevelle, Nova & Camaro all came standard with a 6. Actually, the Nova came with a base 4. ElCamino, 1/2-ton, 3/4-ton & 1-ton trucks and vans were also all standard 6s. Only the Monte, Caprice & Corvette came with a standard 8.

How is the Camaro 'stuck trying to be a V8 car' when it comes standard with a 4 and also offers a 6?

The V8 of then also made in the 250-305 hp range for a lot of those years.

Camaro V8s ran up to 450 HP in '69. But power levels in the '70s were not overly impressive worldwide- the top-shelf MB 6.9L only made 250 HP in the '70s.

Edited by balthazar

Guest 56Toledo

Posted

The Camaro has been one ugly car since it came back in 2010, and somehow, it's gotten uglier. It's useless for carrying anything in the trunk, and the interior is bad. I had hoped to consider the Camaro when I was car shopping this time, but I need a trunk. Not a huge one, but something reasonable, and of the Challenger, Mustang, and Camaro, the Challenger is the only one of the three that I can live with. That it's easily the best looking of them on top of that, made it an easy choice. It's my second one. I really liked my 2010 R/T, and the new R/T Scatpack is so much fun.

useless backseat

can't see out of it / no windows / loooowwwwww roof

can't see over the gauge hood

no trunk

transformers styling has run its course

it's not a usable daily transportation device.  not enough people who buy cars like this as a spare toy car.

only people who can afford em are getting my age and older and they don't wanna bend so far down to get into cars anymore either.

Camaro XUV

image.png

Edited by regfootball

I guess I may be one of the few that isn't bothered by the poor visibility of the 6th gen.  I tend to drive using my mirrors rather than the windows anyway.  But what gets me is the naming convention.  From the article:

"Chevrolet has cut prices on the Camaro 1LS, 1LT, and 2LT as part of the 2019 refresh. They have also introduced a 1LE version for the 2.0L turbo-four to better compete with the Mustang EcoBoost. The 1LE brings a chassis package from the 1LE V6, 20-inch wheels, and a six-speed manual for only $30,995 (includes shipping)."

What's with all the trim level letters?  I'm shopping right now and when it comes to Mustang, it's pretty clear.  You have the ecoboost and the GT.  Trim is either "premium" or not.  I think this must hurt sales too.  Use names, not letters.

On 9/12/2018 at 8:12 PM, Guest 56Toledo said:

The voice of reason.

On 9/23/2018 at 11:45 AM, Cmicasa the Great said:

Never understood this BS about backseat or gunslit windows.. Its silly.. when comparing it to the Mustang... which has an unusable backseat and the window visibility is not much better. Best thing for people complaining about such things is to buy an SUV. Cause in truth.. with exception to the backseat thing.. the Challenger isn't much better in terms of visibility. Car enthusiasts have become BORING.

The Camaro is competing also with the Vette to a degree. Ford has no competitor to the Mustang.. and Dodge definitely doesn't. U wanna see sales jump?? Chevy should thumb its nose at the enthusiasts... and make a Camaro Sedan

At least it isn't showing desperation by making a Camaro ish SUV like Ford has suggested with the Mustang.

Hey I like GM and my hatred of Ford is pathological enough to get me committed to a mental institution under close supervision. But even I would easily pick a Mustang over a Camaro.

Biggest advantage of the Camaro is no one else would want to borrow it or ride in it....the pure definition of "personal car."

17 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

excuse me wow GIF by Mashable

Blazer.jpg

On 9/23/2018 at 11:45 AM, Cmicasa the Great said:

The Mustang is much easier to get into and out of..... even in my old age I can feel the difference between a Camaro and Mustang.  Once I get into a Camaro, I am comfortable... but getting in and out is a chore compared to Mustang.

The Camaro is a personal car.. a PONY car.. defined as " an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image."

Which I think Chevy hit the nail on the head.. altho even I will admit.. in terms of looks after the 2019 change.. the Mustang is the best looking, while the Chally is the most sinister, the Camaro remains the best performer.

Ask me for 2018 and Camaro would have been my #1 in both subjective categories.. as I am completely bewildered as to why the hell they changed the look only 3 model years in.

Personally, I think Camaro needs a new style. This one has run its course. If they wanted to improve it, change the entry / exit. Change the bunker look and open up the greenhouse and add a 4 door sedan along with CUV inspired auto's.

GM made a Honda mistake like the ugly Civic mess that dies after one model year. Admit the changes were wrong and move forward.

Hell no.. Why abandon a market that still brings in mad profit and in reality.. using the numbers of the Mustang and Chally only.. has only seen a 1% decline in sales with almost no real new investment dollars. With the Camaro, I bet GM is seeing as a platform car.. ATS/CTS/Camaro. Certainly better sales are desired.. but the Alpha platform is getting utilized profitably. Yeah.. I bet the Chally is extremely profitable along with the 300 and Charger.. but Jesus.. outside of Jeep.. where else is FCA getting profit from in the U.S?

19 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Pacifica sales maybe?

...Ram.

...and Durango. The products they ahve are actually pretty decent for what they are. The new Ram is really growing on me. I did not expect to like it as much as I do.

2 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Or abandon a declining market segment entirely.

This is where GM if they have some thinking heads will learn from the mistakes of Pontiac. Keep the Pony car, but build a family of performance from it with the 2 door pony car, 4 door performance sedan and performance 4 door CUV. Streamline the product line onto a single platform that allows to maximize profits, brand, auto name, etc. to drive sales.

49 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Yep, the Durango as well.

I'm not much of an FCA fan but what they do have, sells pretty well and they're pretty good vehicles.

4 door performance sedan

It's called the ATS or CTS already.

They don't sell well.

It's called the ATS or CTS already.

They don't sell well.

or the SS from the previous generation. Prior Camaro and the SS were both on Zeta.

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Yeah but wasn't that mostly direct orders? It's hard to hold sales against something like that when most can't or won't see one just sitting on a lot.

The problem with the stereotypical "enthusiast car" is they're expensive. We want a V8 and we want RWD. Those combinations already narrow their customer base down to about 3/4 of the United States before anything else.

Just now, ccap41 said:

I'm sure you could do direct orders, but no, they weren't only direct order.   They were limited in the total number sold. Chevy only planned to sell X of them every year.

It's called the ATS or CTS already.

They don't sell well.

That is Cadillac, I am talking a Chevrolet family series that helps to reduce cost by spreading the DNA over a wider range of products.

Chevrolet Camaro - 2 door

Chevrolet SS - 4 door

Chevrolet Blazer - 4 door CUV

etc. etc. etc.

I still believe if they truly focused on quality auto's that delivered on the performance creed and pushed down that you could have a family of auto's on a single platform that would deliver what people are wanting from fuel efficient commuter auto to performance, CUV etc.

It's called the ATS or CTS already.

They don't sell well.

again.. not true. The ATS and CTS are not exactly US only vehicles... and do decently in China. This would be like saying Buick isn't a strong brand because they are only selling about 300K in the US.. when one looks at the real numbers.. they see an additional 1 Million Globally. I'm not saying the ATS and CTS are 3Series and 5 Series selling equivalents.. but I wouldn't doubt that along with the Camaro.. at least in the Global sense they are doing pretty decently. AGAIN!!! GM is not a singular company. Judging its sales on certain other targeted vehicles is not necessarily telling.

And G8 prior to closure of Pontiac .

What I'm often perplexed by the most is HOW THE HELL is the Challenger ever really being called a competitor to the Mustang and Camaro in the first place? By that rationale I should call my Yukon a competitor to the Rav4.

Dodge 198″ L x 76″ W x 56-58″ H

Chevy  188-190 L x 75″ W x 53″ H

Ford  188″ L x 75″ W x 54-55″ H

Yet the first page of this thread is littered with Trunk pics. Well YEAH.. the Challenger has a bigger trunk. Its a FULL SIZE car almost the same length as an XTS

13 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Dodge 198″ L x 76″ W x 56-58″ H

Chevy  188-190 L x 75″ W x 53″ H

Ford  188″ L x 75″ W x 54-55″ H

They are all 3 retro Pony cars.

Chevrolet Camaro - 2 door

Chevrolet SS - 4 door

Chevrolet Blazer - 4 door CUV

etc. etc. etc.

I know what you're talking about but this would be on Alpha and I don't see any conceivable way that this would be priced enough below the Cadillac siblings to sell.

Is this SS going to be ATS or CTS sized?

31 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

The trunk pics were of the Mustang and Camaro.

As @Drew Dowdell  would say, they're priced against each other targeting the same market of people. That's why they're compared.

The Camaro used to be almost that big and got ridiculed for it.

Was that the 90's-00's with the 17ft front overhang?

49 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

I said nothing about "brand" and just the two individual items, ATS and CTS, don't sell well. Compared to their copmetition, they don't.

I know I know, "THEY DON'T OFFER THE VARIATIONS THE COMPETITION DOES."

I mentioned those two vehicles because if GM decided to make a RWD Chevy sedan it would very likely be one of those platforms stretched or shrunk.

14 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I know I know, "THEY DON'T OFFER THE VARIATIONS THE COMPETITION DOES."

Yeah.. they don't offer variations.. so why would they sell in the same numbers.. Its FACT.. one that detractors such as yourself love to ignore. I find it illogical and irresponsible for a supposed enthusiasts to not even recognize that there is ZERO way for an ATS to sell in the same numbers an C Class if it doesn't offer the same variety of ways to buy.

and if GM decided to do a RWD Chevy sedan they could use one of two platforms.. the AlphaL or Omega.. depending on the desired size. It has occurred to me that due to the WHINING by certain reviewers who seemingly spend more time in the backseat of an ATS than the front.. that the Alpha (regular) platform may be scrapped in favor of the AlphaL used for the CTS and ATS-L (China) for the upcoming CT4. I also believe what I was told that the CT5 is actually on Omega already. Which would be completely plausible considering that the 5series is actually riding on a modded version of the 7Series platform

15 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Was that the 90's-00's with the 17ft front overhang?

No.. that was the 2010-2016 C5 (Zeta) Camaro. It was on a full-size platform.. which was far heavier than Chevy wanted it to be. The current Alpha based Camaro is simply put.. the BEST performance sports coupe on the market hands down.. when it comes to performance.. which U'd THINK.. in the category it competes would be the thing to want.. BUT.. apparently backseat space is a thing when doing lateral gs of 1.01.. and 120mph 1/4s.  Hell.. 0-60 in 3.9secs in a car that costs $37K is INSANE. And truthfully.. the styling issue with the Camaro really hinges on ONE THING.. the EMBLEM they decided to throw on the front for some reason.. other than that.. now after seeing this live pic and not Chevy's wretched CGI (why do they do that? ) I might retract my comment about it not being as good looking as the Mustang or Chally

2019-chevy-camaro-video.jpg

17 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

2019-chevy-camaro-video.jpg

Performance alone matters when you earn money by going fast.  Since most car enthusiast are not professional racing drivers, exterior looks, interior feel and livability matters.   I am not a fanboy of a single brand and with open mind  wanted to like and maybe purchase a Camaro because it is a better performance car, but I don't really like the looks and I really hated the inside which sealed it for me.  It would be a second car for me so  I don't care about trunk or the backseat.

The FACT is that it seems majority of people who in the market for these cars seems to have similar opinions.

Edited by ykX

14 minutes ago, ykX said:

OR... the price was too high for admission as Chevy seems to think. I'd wait and see. It seems plausible that if Dodge and Ford are kicking out lower end models with a cheaper entry price then it would spawn sales. Again.. looks are subjective. Personally I think the retro looks of all should be re-evaluated.

BTW.. amd I the only one who wants to punch a mofo in the face the next time I hear the term "Gun-Slit Windows?" Its stupid.. and writers sound like a copy cat bitch when they say it

35 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

2019-chevy-camaro-video.jpg

For me the style is Meh at best, as a performance car, that front nose is just a blunt piece of steel / plastic with a curved grind on it. I honestly think the peeps in this division could not come up with a better looking nose so just took a plastic  block, ground off the side to give it a round shape and then say put the lights here, emblem here and we will use the Hideous look from Chevrolet full size trucks with the Roman gladiator side spikes and glue it onto the car and call it a day. I love a family consistent style, but in this case the Truck front end does not work on the Camaro. Green house is a problem for me as the bunker look is just so over and blah also. Interior can always use a better update.

Pro's, best damn powertrain around I think.

4 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

and as to the trunk.. apparently U can put a kid back their and the backseat with a booster

attachment.php?s=8fb03d65c3396edf611c2e1

attachment.php?s=8fb03d65c3396edf611c2e1

I thought in 2 door cars that was the only thing the rear seat was good for little kids. :P Thanks for running out with the rugrats and showing us this! :metal:

not my kid LOL

1 hour ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

the EMBLEM they decided to throw on the front for some reason..

I said the same thing when I first saw it. That alone made everything else look worse. Move that up or down or ANYWHERE BUT THE MIDDLE OF THE BUMPER.

1 hour ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

That seems like it would be the ideal size.

1 hour ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

It isn't so much the size of the windows when I sat in one as much as it was where you sat in relation to the windows. The driver seemed to sit so low it made the windows feel even smaller.

47 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

attachment.php?s=8fb03d65c3396edf611c2e1

attachment.php?s=8fb03d65c3396edf611c2e1

That's not with @dfelt sitting in the driver's seat!

17 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

not my kid LOL

I'm glad it isn't because who takes their kid out places in their pajamas?!

The front of the Camaro doesn't look bad on a dark gray or black car...with dark colors all the black plastic up front blends in better...but on a white, yellow, bright red car...ugh..

@ccap41 Thanks, yes you are so right, with my 6'6" frame, that seat has ZERO leg room as the seat is against the back seat. :smilewide:

Silverado outside mirrors, a roof bulge, and a periscope would make the Camaro more drivable for you..;)

At 6'6" there probably isn't much space behind you in any vehicle, lol.

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

At 6'6" there probably isn't much space behind you in any vehicle, lol.

For cars that is so true even the lovely CT6, the leg space is very limited. :(

• By David
      Lots of interesting stuff happening as GM by divisions starts to release more info on their EV programs.
      First is a interesting video on their Ultium batteries. This clearly shows how versatile they can build the battery packs.
      https://plants.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/bcportal.html/currentVideoId/6157651202001/currentChannelId/Most Recent.gsaOff.html
      Multiple-cell-configurations-within-Ultium-modules.mp4

They have released a video of a side profile of the new Chevrolet Bolt morphing into the Bolt EUV. I was able to download the video and as such, way more visual detail than on the posted web sites below are showing.
      chevrolet-bolt-euv-teaser-1598391287.mp4

Have to say the upcoming update to the Chevrolet Bolt and the EUV is nice looking and should sell even better than the old Bolt. Truly a much more CUV look.
      Automakers for the most part were hurting in sales during the second quarter. The COVID-19 pandemic and the economy coming to a screeching halt for a brief time caused new car sales to drop by a third according to Automotive News. But there is a slim silver lining to this, full-size pickups have moved into being the best-selling segment of vehicles.
      According to data from Automotive News, one out of four vehicles sold between April and June was a pickup truck. This helped put them ahead of compact crossovers, which have held the top spot for some time. The reason is that trucks didn't take as big of a hit due to 0 percent financing offers from automakers to help bring in buyers. A large number of dealers said they sold the majority of trucks sitting on their lots.
      Mark LaNeve, Ford's vice president of U.S. marketing, sales and service provides another reason why trucks didn't fall off a cliff. Speaking to AN, he said that people need trucks for work and "affluent consumers who often buy such vehicles have been less affected by the pandemic."
      Trucks still took quite the hit in the quarter,
      Chevrolet Silverado: Down 14% Ford F-Series: Down 23% GMC Sierra: Down 4% Ram: Down 35% Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

Trucks still took quite the hit in the quarter,
      This week, Hagerty obtained a document from General Motors' executive director in charge of program management, Michelle Braun that says development on future car and truck programs has been paused due to the COVID-19 outbreak. But the document also mentions some intriguing information on upcoming powertrains for the C8 Corvette. Here are the details,
      Corvette Z06: 5.5L DOHC V8 known as the LT6 that will produce 650 horsepower and 600 pound-feet of torque. No mention of any type of forced-induction. Corvette Gran Sport: 6.2L OHC V8 with a hybrid system that's expected to produce 600 horsepower and 500 pound-feet of torque. Corvette ZR1: Twin-Turbo 5.5L DOHC V8, dubbed LT7. Output is expected to be 850 horsepower and 800 pound-feet. Corvette Zora: The powerhouse of the C8, it will take the Twin-Turbo LT7 and augment with a hybrid system. This is expected to produce 1,000 horsepower and 975 pound-feet of torque. Hagerty's report says the rollout of the new engines will begin in 2022 with the LT6, but the COVID-19 outbreak may push the plans back.
      Source: Hagerty