2007 Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra

Okay, so NOW what do you think of GM's new pickups?  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Okay, so NOW what do you think of GM's new pickups?

• Wow! Blown away! Where do I sign?
    • Great! However, I would change...
    • Not bad, an improvement, but not enough
    • No. Not an improvement at all.
    • No way! Horrible on all accounts!

GMTruckGuy74:

The tailights are slightly different. The Chevy has the backup light in the middle of the stack. The shape is slightly different also, as well as the detailing.

As you can probably tell, I kinda like the GMC more at this point.

175055[/snapback]

Oh, I know there's a differentiation with the taillights. I just think GM should have designed a separate tailgate that matches the Sierra styling rather than cut corners and have the two share one design. I just think a flat panel would have been better suited on the Sierra rather than the bumped out Silverado version.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I know there's a differentiation with the taillights.  I just think GM should have designed a separate tailgate that matches the Sierra styling rather than cut corners and have the two share one design.  I just think a flat panel would have been better suited on the Sierra rather than the bumped out Silverado version.

175356[/snapback]

A flat panel would look better on both trucks.

No manual...eh, whatever.

Excessively large bowtie on the back...I can deal with it, though I really don't like that trend.

The inside...nice enough. Not amazing, but good for a work truck.

The exterior styling? Not good. It looks more like a toy and less like a work truck. I see elements of Tacoma and Dakota in it as well, which really throws me off.

The contour on the tailgate makes it stronger than a flat tailgate... and will also make it sound better when it is slammed shut... a flat panel would sound hollow, the contour resists resonating more and makes the gate close with a "thunk" rather than a "clang".

The contour on the tailgate makes it stronger than a flat tailgate... and will also make it sound better when it is slammed shut... a flat panel would sound hollow, the contour resists resonating more and makes the gate close with a "thunk" rather than a "clang".

175669[/snapback]

OK, I'll give you that. But the execution leaves a bit to be desired - it looks... somehow upside-down and contrived, it tries too hard. A simple recess with embossed lettering would have been much nicer.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know where these will be appearing in person? I am going to the Iowa State Fair, and if they are there I will take pictures and report. Before you laugh, the Silverado has been the best selling vehicle in the state for a few years, they want to sell to farmers, and there have been instances of new models appearing. the last one I saw was the refreshed front of the Ford Superduty, before it his showrooms.

Anyhow, can someone confirm or deny?

Well I love Both the Sierra and The Silverado. One thing is I would NOT buy a regular cap. The longer bed with the humped out bedsides just doesn't look good to me. After I pay off my fourwheeler in 3 months Im either going to buy a brand new Silverado (This one) or a 2005 - 2006 Can't decide yet. :scratchchin:

This guy posted this in another forum but I had to repost so you guys didn't miss it.

5point7

I'm a frequent reader but first time poster.

I had the chance to test-drive a new Silverado yesterday and I thought I would give my review. I have never driven an import Full-Size truck so this comparison is between the current F-150 and RAM.

The model was a 4-Door 4x4 5.3L Black Silverado. Not sure about what suspension.

From the outside the truck looks even nicer in person. The interior is REALLY where the HUGE jump is from the last models. Interior is great! This particular one was fully loaded with DVD player and wireless headphones in the center console. Speaking of the center console, it is HUGE! The cockpit is am excellent place to be... very nice leather and comfortable seats.

Where I was MOST impressed was the AMAZING ride and handling! This alone puts the RAM to downright shame and the F-150 can't compete either. It rides like a cadillac and handles like a car! I was SO impressed with how balanced it felt!

The Vortech was plenty strong. I got to hit the pedal on the GM Tech Center grounds pretty good and it has good pickup for a truck. I would GUESS 0-60 in around 8 Sec.

This truck was only driven on a road course with stop and go and plenty of pedal hammers... the onboard computer (in front of the driver) said MPG average of 24MPG! Thats pretty impressive! The display also shows if you are in 4 or 8 cyl mode and it is obviously seemless.

I am not even in the market for a truck but these trucks impressed me SO much... I am 99% sure I will be getting one in the end of the year!

GM should be VERY proud, its a great truck!

FYI,

The folks at Inside Line managed to extract a little bit of extra news from General Motors at the debut of its new GMT900 pickups yesterday. Apparently the General plans to unveil hybrid versions of both pickups by Fall of next year. The hybrid pickups will feature the same dual-mode hybrid drivetrain (High - Low hybrid) that's set to appear first in the Tahoe Hybrid and be able to achieve a combined fuel economy rating of 25 mpg while mated to a V8 producing 365 horsepower and 350 ft-lbs. of torque.

• 1 month later...

I really like this new truck alot. I checked out the 07' F150s and found the interiors to be very cheaply done. I hope the new Chevrolet/GMC performs as well in the IIHS crash tests as the F-150 does though. The 02-06 Chevrolet did not do so well in this test.

Any photos of what the "base" W/T dash panel will look like? Or even exterior for that matter. I have not yet saw photos of the "W/T" model.

• 1 month later...

I think GM has a huge hit on their hands. Both look pretty good on the outside (the Sierra's better), the work truck interior suits everyone who's going to use it as a truck perfectly, the premium interior takes care of anyone who wants something nicer, the power (other than the V6) is great, tons of features (I think the power rear windows will be a huge hit), and the lockable storage bed.

The F-150 better watch out, I think.

174000[/snapback]

I don't think that the F-150 should be Chevy's concern right now. If you ask me, that ridiculous 4L60E is going to kill this truck. Consider: the new Tundra is packing 380hp and a 6speed automatic. These are numbers that don't appear in GM's lineup until 3/4 ton and beyond.

I don't think that the F-150 should be Chevy's concern right now. If you ask me, that ridiculous 4L60E is going to kill this truck. Consider: the new Tundra is packing 380hp and a 6speed automatic. These are numbers that don't appear in GM's lineup until 3/4 ton and beyond.

210801[/snapback]

Yeah, in the top model. I believe the other models are either a 4L V6 or 4.7L V8 mated to a 5-speed. How many of the top models are going to be sold? The majority of sales will be the 4.7. Also, the Sierra Denali will have the 6.2 and 6-speed for anyone who wants the best truck on the market.

That said, yes, the 4-speed needs to go, but I don't see it killing the truck in any way. Most truck buyers could care less if their truck has 6-speeds or 4-speeds (and even less about 5 vs. 4). All they care about is how it performs doing what they need it to do.

That said, yes, the 4-speed needs to go, but I don't see it killing the truck in any way. Most truck buyers could care less if their truck has 6-speeds or 4-speeds (and even less about 5 vs. 4). All they care about is how it performs doing what they need it to do.

210834[/snapback]

:thumbsup:

210834[/snapback]

The truth, and nothing but the truth.

Yeah, in the top model. I believe the other models are either a 4L V6 or 4.7L V8 mated to a 5-speed. How many of the top models are going to be sold? The majority of sales will be the 4.7. Also, the Sierra Denali will have the 6.2 and 6-speed for anyone who wants the best truck on the market.

210834[/snapback]

Alright, so I may have exaggerated a bit. I still believe that the performance is going to suffer and I personally would find the huge spacing between gears annoying. You know the mags are going to rip it apart for having the 4 speed.

Do we know when the 4speed is going away?

Alright, so I may have exaggerated a bit. I still believe that the performance is going to suffer and I personally would find the huge spacing between gears annoying. You know the mags are going to rip it apart for having the 4 speed.

Do we know when the 4speed is going away?

212769[/snapback]

The mags can rip it all they want. The question that needs to be asked is whether the people who are actually going to buy the truck are going to care if the mag rips it because of that. So many of them have gotten great use out of the 4-speed for years they might feel more comfortable with it than the 6-speed. But who knows, we'll find out...

I heard 2008 MY was the last year for the 4-speed, at least in the trucks. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised to see it stick around in some cars (Cobalt, lower-level Epsilons) past then.

Perhaps this is why the Big 2.5 are doing better in trucks than they are in cars...the average truck buyer is a little more independent and knowledgeable. He/she base their buying decisions on their own impressions, not those of CR or MT. The media's constant harping about the number of gears the automatic has is having an impact on the car buyer because they don't know any better, so they buy a Camry. The truck buyer says,"hell, this thing tows great, runs smooth, gets better gas mileage than the Toyota with the 12 speeds...f'k it, I'll buy the Chevy!"

It will all end somewhere, or else we'll be driving 2,000 hp minivans with 12 speed transmissions that will cost $100k to buy because some magazine declared that 900 hp and 11 speeds isn't enough.

• 2 weeks later...

OOOKKAAAAAYYY... Wow look! The new Silverado and Sierra same the SAME brake setup as my THIRTY SEVEN (37) year old hearse!!

Why oh WHY do manufacturers still put drum brakes on vehicles? I don't care how great a truck it is, I wouldn't even consider it without four wheel discs. Thanks, but I'll take a Ram/F-150/Titan over the Silverado/Sierra.

YOu clearly don't know much about braking systems.

First of all, rear discs don't make much sense, except perhaps on high end performance vehicles For many of us where salt and sand are an issue, rear drums are preferable: they are more protected from the elements and will last longer. There are many cases of rear disc systems seizing up, due to long term esxposure to the elements. GM has used the "drum-in-hat" set up on vehicles like the Intrigue, but this system is expensive.

Or do you like $1,000 brake jobs?

Don't assume I don't know anything before you start typing... that's a courtesy that I'll extend to you as well.

For the past few years (part time) I've driven a Ram 3500 with 14,000+ pound gooseneck trailer three or four days a week and never once had a problem with the brakes. Down here in Mississippi there are quite a few nasty elements to contend with—dirt, sand, the dealership, gravel, rookie hands...

The transmission, though, was a different story.

YOu clearly don't know much about braking systems.

First of all, rear discs don't make much sense, except perhaps on high end performance vehicles  For many of us where salt and sand are an issue, rear drums are preferable: they are more protected from the elements and will last longer.  There are many cases of rear disc systems seizing up, due to long term esxposure to the elements.  GM has used the "drum-in-hat" set up on vehicles like the Intrigue, but this system is expensive.

Or do you like $1,000 brake jobs?

217517[/snapback]

The Vortec Max package on the 2007 Silverado and Sierra replaces the rear drums with rear discs. Also includes larger sway bars and a beefier rear axle. Package is geared toward increased towing capacity.

• 1 month later...

I voted "Great! But I would change." I went and test drove a Sierra Crew Cab Z-71 SLT (black) and a Silverado Crew Cab Z-71 LT2 (dark blue). I don't like the Silverado's front end. It's too big and the curve in the middle looks like it could create the Coriolis Effect if the truck ever did a 360 in a parking lot or something. I much prefer the looks of the Sierra. The Chevy also had the "work truck" dash and although it looks great, the area for the ashtray was misaligned on the model I drove. I do love the wheels on the Z-71 Chevy and wish GMC would offer an 18 inch rim for their Z-71 package as well. The thing I was most amazed about was how quiet and comfortable the trucks are. I think they are best in class on many levels, but I hope GM will ramp up 6-speed auto production so they go into the truck quickly and they continually update the trucks with equipment and detail changes to improve both quality of the truck and the perceived quality of the truck.

I bought a brand new '07 Silverado Z-71 the day before Christmas. I walked in the showroom after only having seen pictures and was immediately sold on the looks and build.

It is a truck you will fall in love with. I promise.

I previously owned a Silverado SS, which I loved as well, and to go from that to the new truck was well beyond a night and day difference. Everything about it seems to be engineered to a much higher standard.

The pictures don't tell you about the vast improvements in ride quality and overall solid feel, or about the feeling you get when driving it. It really does feel like you are riding in a high-end SUV.

About a week after I had it delivered I took it up to northern Maine for some late season hunting in the snow and this vehicle is an absolute beast off-road. You feel like you are in some sort of cross between a bullet-proof space capsule and a tank.

I obviously can't speak for the long term reliability of this truck, but I can tell you I have never driven or ridden in one better. 100% off the chart home run for Chevy. Thank you Jesus.

P.S. I love the input jack they put on the dash for my iPod, as well as the locking underseat storage that is just the right size for my pistol. :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...