2007 Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra

Okay, so NOW what do you think of GM's new pickups?  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Okay, so NOW what do you think of GM's new pickups?

• Wow! Blown away! Where do I sign?
    • Great! However, I would change...
    • Not bad, an improvement, but not enough
    • No. Not an improvement at all.
    • No way! Horrible on all accounts!

I'll take a Ram-the Fords don't have enough power, but I agree, these trucks' dashboards continue to look dated (the only one that never did IMO, was the 1995-98 models'). The exteriors look so boring and non-descript, and its too bad there's no Sandstone or Gold Mist colors, according to the Dealerworld Site which lists the following:

Black, Summit White, Silver Birch Metallic, Blue Granite (Chevy)/Stealth Grey (GMC) Metallic, Dark/Deep [Navy] Blue Metallic, Sport Red Metallic, Victory/Fire Red, Graystone/Steel Grey Metallic, and Desert/Medium Brown Metallic.

174340[/snapback]

If you're going to take a Ram, you sholdn't be critiqing any othe trucks dashboards.

Or, be bitching about Ram colors. The RAM 1500 also doesn't come in anything close to Sandstone or Goldmist....Khaki brown, which is similar to the 07 Silverado pics in the thread (Medium Brown I assume)

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like them-I like them a lot. Strong, bold (at least in presence), attractive,...you get the idea.

I think I like the GMC better-especially the Denali, but it's really, really close. One of them will (hopefully) be my next truck.

I dont like em...they look kinda frumpy...

and they look very simular, theres not a big difference so I dont know why gm keeps stating they are differentiated. Only way you can tell is with the emblems and grilles. The lights are the exact same shape, just different layout.

174073[/snapback]

I agree....."frumpy" is how I'd describe them.

I like the cleaned-up lines aft of the A-pillar though.

I'm really happy about the interiors. Hopefully materials and fit-and-finish on the "lower-level" interiors will be a match for the "upscale, SUV-like" interiors.

Frumpy they are unfortunately. However, the beauty in these trucks will be the powertrains, ride-and-handling, and work capabilities.

Haven't read the article yet, but the pictures of the Chevrolet look much better than the ones I've seen so far.  I was getting a little worried after the pics of the red Chevy.  The lines on both of these seem to flow much better.  They WILL be a big hit....no doubt.  BTW, when are the HD's coming out?

What are the benefits for GM to have GMC?  I am not an advocate of GMC going the way of Oldsmobile, but seems like a lot of work to differentiate two trucks that are identical.

174119[/snapback]

benifits of GMC is it demands a higher price point, and it is also GM's brand with the highest average income from the consumer

GMC has many advantages, like more night time visiblity, generally slightly higherbuild quality, more options and the DENALI which is not avalible with Chevy...

no manual transmissions :(

174220[/snapback]

some of us like Manual transmissions, not because of off roading, just because of every day driving...

My next vehicle must... Must be a manual transmission... regaurdless of what it is... sedan coupe truck... whatever its gotta be manual

At first blush, these new trucks impress in many ways. I will reserve further judgement until it all sinks in a bit more. This line is so complex in all of the details and options that a true assesment will take me days to form.

I will say this the Chevy and the GMC are more differentiated than they have ever been before. Disagree? Take a closer look. This alone tells me that GM really does "Get it".

I will venture a guess that I have owned more GM trucks of more generations than most, if not all, C&G members so I will try to respond more fully to these new trucks later this week. 8)

You're changing your statement. You initially stated that manual trans was a requirement, now you're saying it's a preference for many serious off-roaders. Well, auto trans is also a preference for many serious off-roaders.

174317[/snapback]

I doubt if very many 'serious off roaders' would want a 6000lb, 20-ft long truck. :)

Posted Image

174848[/snapback]

Durrrrrrr!

Sorry, had to do it.

--------------------------------------

Other comments.

The Sierra looks WAY too much like the F-series SD in that picture.

But, WOW, thats a lot of interior utility, impressive to say the least.

Edited by bowtie_dude

Maybe it'll warm on me....still waiting-and those cabs still look way too small when compared to the competition, not to mention stale before on sale. Thanks for more pics though!

Guys - you're hurting my feelings here: all these Silverado pics and almost no Sierra's? Come on now - I need my daily fill of GMCs!!!!

TED - that's one awesome looking truck you have pictured.... is that an official GMC picture??? The Stealth Gray Metallic (pictured on the Sierra Crew Cab) has become one of my new favorite colors by GM and looks great on that Sierra Crew Cab.

Derek77 - do you have a link to the launch website for the GMC Sierra???

I'm very excited about the new GMC Sierra. I forsee one in my driveway by 2010 :P

Guys - you're hurting my feelings here: all these Silverado pics and almost no Sierra's?  Come on now - I need my daily fill of GMCs!!!!

TED - that's one awesome looking truck you have pictured.... is that an official GMC picture???  The Stealth Gray Metallic (pictured on the Sierra Crew Cab) has become one of my new favorite colors by GM and looks great on that Sierra Crew Cab.

Derek77 - do you have a link to the launch website for the GMC Sierra???

I'm very excited about the new GMC Sierra. I forsee one in my driveway by 2010  :P

174886[/snapback]

http://autodeadline.com/Photos?kw=sierra

Done.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

SLT interior

Posted Image

Denali interior

Posted Image

A few initial impressions:

- The GMC wins in the looks department this time, it is a much cleaner design. That's only fair as the Tahoe looks much nicer than the Yukon. I have high hopes that the bulging fender look will work better on the HD models.

- These trucks are going to be class leaders in so many categories that they almost have to be a homerun for GM.

- The LTZ dash looks so out of place in the trucks, I much prefer the LT dash. Let's leave the woodgrain to Buick and Caddy.

- The storage and bedrail systems are way overdue and most welcome.

-Hopefully, GM will eliminate the Chevy's chrome bumper on all models as it really looks like crap. Grafting the Avalanche nose onto these trucks would improve the look tremendously.

- For me, only an HD truck works in most situations and I would purchase an Avalanche before a half ton Silverado. However, that is the strength of this platform, it can be so many things depending on the customer's needs and wants.

EDIT: The huge,ugly chrome grille really hurts the Chevy's look. It should join the chrome bumper in oblivion.

Here's the Sierra SLE interior (what a lot of you have called the "Work Truck" dash):

Posted Image

And WTF? Chevy gets a LARGE bowtie emblem for the middle of the tailgate and GMC keeps the letters (small) in the right rear corner still????

Chevy rear:

Posted Image

GMC rear:

Posted Image

And it's nice <SARCASM> to see that while GM differentiated the Sierra from the Silverado even more this generation, they cut corners and share the same tailgate design :nono::duh::hissyfit:

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Guest YellowJacket894

The angle at which this photo from the Pre-launch site was taken really makes me like the Silverado. It also looks damn good in blue, too -- just about all Chevy trucks do.

Posted Image

http://autodeadline.com/Photos?kw=sierra

Done.

Posted Image

SLT interior

Posted Image

Denali interior

Posted Image

174894[/snapback]

Wow, that is one NICE gauge cluster. Beautiful!

And I actually like the SLT interior better than the Denali. Too much plood in the Denali, IMO.

But I like the Sierra exterior better as well. Kind of a classy handsome look.

The angle at which this photo from the Pre-launch site was taken really makes me like the Silverado. It also looks damn good in blue, too -- just about all Chevy trucks do.

Posted Image

174943[/snapback]

Whats the red lettering, I wonder? Just Silverado with red paint instead of chrome?

Here's the Sierra SLE interior (what a lot of you have called the "Work Truck" dash):

Posted Image

And WTF?  Chevy gets a LARGE bowtie emblem for the middle of the tailgate and GMC keeps the letters (small) in the right rear corner still????

Chevy rear:

Posted Image

GMC rear:

Posted Image

And it's nice <SARCASM> to see that while GM differentiated the Sierra from the Silverado even more this generation, they cut corners and share the same tailgate design  :nono:  :duh:  :hissyfit:

174941[/snapback]

I noticed that on the Yukon, too. Struck me as a little odd...

Guest YellowJacket894

Whats the red lettering, I wonder?  Just Silverado with red paint instead of chrome?

174947[/snapback]

I think it reads "VortecMAX."

(EDIT: GMTruckGuy beat me to it.)

Edited by YellowJacket894

The red lettering is the Vortex Max badging.

174955[/snapback]

Oh, kickass! I'd like to see a nice closeup of that one. Bout damn time GM started putting engine badging on their trucks, Ford and Dodge have had Triton and Hemi (formerly Magnum) on their trucks for years.

I assume Vortex Max is for the 6.0L equipped trucks?

GMTruckGuy74:

The tailights are slightly different. The Chevy has the backup light in the middle of the stack. The shape is slightly different also, as well as the detailing.

As you can probably tell, I kinda like the GMC more at this point.

Wow, that GMC looks awesome! Not so fond of the Chevy, which will be the first time I've ever liked a GMC more than the Chevy version.

The GMC reminds me a lot of a streamlined 90s models. The Chevy looks too much like the product of a Japanese manufacturer.

I'm with a lot of the people on here who prefer the pure pickup interior. It looks a lot cleaner, more rugged, more durable. That, combined with the fact that it sounds like you can't even get the high-end interior with a bench seat, guarantees that if I'm able to buy one, I'll go with an SLE 3500 Crew Cab Dooley.

Out of the hundreds of pictures (leftlanenews) I've seen... not one single photo of a regular cab shortbed 2WD yet. I'm starting to worry, as that is my bodystyle of choice. I see foglights are only available on Chevy LTZ. I hope foglights are available on GMC SLEs.

I gotta tell you guys... Stealth Gray/Blue Granite looks a little boring on the 800s, but a 900 GMC SLE in Stealth Gray with gray interior and sport suspension with 20s would look fine in my garage.

Out of the hundreds of pictures (leftlanenews) I've seen... not one single photo of a regular cab shortbed 2WD yet.  I'm starting to worry, as that is my bodystyle of choice.  I see foglights are only available on Chevy LTZ.  I hope foglights are available on GMC SLEs.

I gotta tell you guys... Stealth Gray/Blue Granite looks a little boring on the 800s, but a 900 GMC SLE in Stealth Gray with gray interior and sport suspension with 20s would look fine in my garage.

175109[/snapback]

Regular cab shortbeds are a rare breed these days. Sorry to say there may be reason for you to worry.

Foglights only on LTZ?! That is beyond stupid. I really have mountains of hate for the people who pick what goes into each trim level and especially those inane option packages. It's bad enough on a car, but horrible on a truck - these things need to be tailored to each customer far more than any car model.

This problem has ticked me off for years.

Out of the hundreds of pictures (leftlanenews) I've seen... not one single photo of a regular cab shortbed 2WD yet.  I'm starting to worry, as that is my bodystyle of choice.

175109[/snapback]

I think there was one at the press intro. They had every variation, including the basic plastic bumper front Silverado!

The truck on the far left, completely obscured (with the ladder on top) is the single cab shortbed I believe.

EDIT: Never mind, thats the long bed I think.

post-206-1154568674_thumb.jpg

post-206-1154568877_thumb.jpg

The GMC looks sleek! while the Silverado looks tough. Im glad to see the MAX is coming back! now it's just a waiting game to see them at the dealers.

Good job GM! finally something new.

I really dislike the big fender flares on the Chevy, and there's no reason for that tailgate sculpting. The GMC looks better overall, but the front is a little bland.

I can't imagine GM dropping the 2WD regular cab shortbed style. Though the trend is towards bigger and bigger cabs, that configuration still seemed to be pretty popular with the GMT800's. The regular cab long beds are mostly for contractors and fleet use now. I recently drove a 2006 Silverado extended cab, and it felt more spirited than my Crew Cab. I'm sure it's due to having 400 pounds of less weight to haul around. The regular cab loses about another 400 pounds. That's got to be the most fun to drive configuration.

Posted Image

I posted over in the "High Resolution Pictures" topic this comment, but wanted to share it here also... look around in the second & third rows and int he background and you'll see the HEAVY DUTY versions!!!

Hey TED, can you zoom in on the red Sierra in the second row? It's located in between the red Sierra crew cab & brown Silverado in the front row. That red Sierra is defintely a HD version - you can see that the front hubs are sticking out of the wheels, there's an additional air intake opening in the bumper, running lights on the roof, and it has the trailering mirrors. Plus next to it is a silver Silverado W/T model too! If you want to see the Silverado HD, look in between the black Sierra Denali & blue Silverado VortexMAX in the front row and there's a silver Silverado HD along with another (silver) Sierra HD to it's left.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74