You know you grew up in the 90s when...

mustang84

You know you're a 90's kid if...

* You've ever ended a sentence with the word "PSYCHE!"

* You can sing the rap to "The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air"

* You remember when Kurt Cobain, Tu Pac, and Selena died.

* You know that "WOAH" comes from Joey from "Blossom" and that "How Rude!" comes from Stephanie from "Full House"

* You remember when it was actually worth getting up early on a Saturday to watch cartoons.

* You got excited when it was Oregon Trail day in computer class at school.

* You remember reading "Goosebumps"

* You know the profound meaning of "Wax on, wax off"

* You took plastic cartoon lunch boxes to school.

* You remember "Wannabe" by the Spice Girls

* You remember the craze and then the banning of slap bracelets and slam books.

* Where in the world is Carmen San Diego? was both a game and a TV game show.

* You watched Power Rangers but would never admit it

* "I've fallen and I can't get up"

* You had a pair of rollerblades

* Two words... Trapper Keeper.

* You ever got injured on a Slip 'n' Slide

* You remember boom boxes vs. cd players

* You knew all the characters on "Saved By The Bell"

* You played and or collected "Pogs"

* You had at least one Tamagotchi, GigaPet or Nano and brought it everywhere

* You watched the original Ninja Turtles and had all the action figures

* Yikes pencils and erasers were the $h!.

* Your sister would get a new beanie baby every week

* You remember a time before the WB.

* You were addicted to "Are You Afraid of the Dark?"

* You remember how stupid it looked when your parents did the "Macarena"

* You thought Brain woud finally take over the world

* You have played the games Crossfire, Hungry Hungry Hippos, and Connect Four

* You had a Talkboy or a Gameboy, or envied those that did

* You know what a "Gak Attack" is and had a can of your own

* Doug, Ren & Stimpy, Rugrats, Hey Arnold!, Salute Your Shorts, Wild & Crazy Kids, Rocko's Modern Life, Hey Dude, Double Dare, Pete and Pete, and Ahh! Real Monsters were better than this SpongeBob $h!

* You know where the reference to whizzing on the electric fence comes from

* You felt bad for the Trix bunny because the bastard kids never gave him any Trix

* Your parents made you wear acid washed jeans and flourescent oversized shirts

* You always wanted a pair of LA Gear sneakers

* You had a bowl cut or know someone that did

* You always wanted to punch the TV whenever the dog from Duck Hunter would laugh at you

* You used to say "rad," "dude," and "awesome" a lot

* You know what a Big Wheel is

* You remember the "blue jean pencils" they gave out on Arbor Day

* You can sing the rap to "The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air"

* You remember when Kurt Cobain, Tu Pac, and Selena died.

* You know that "WOAH" comes from Joey from "Blossom" and that "How Rude!" comes from Stephanie from "Full House"

* You remember when it was actually worth getting up early on a Saturday to watch cartoons.

* You remember reading "Goosebumps"

* You know the profound meaning of "Wax on, wax off"

* You took plastic cartoon lunch boxes to school.

* You remember "Wannabe" by the Spice Girls

* You remember the craze and then the banning of slap bracelets and slam books.

* Where in the world is Carmen San Diego? was both a game and a TV game show.

* You watched Power Rangers but would never admit it

* "I've fallen and I can't get up"

* You had a pair of rollerblades

* You ever got injured on a Slip 'n' Slide

* You remember boom boxes vs. cd players

* You knew all the characters on "Saved By The Bell"

* You played and or collected "Pogs"

* You had at least one Tamagotchi, GigaPet or Nano and brought it everywhere

* You watched the original Ninja Turtles and had all the action figures

* Yikes pencils and erasers were the $h!.

* Your sister would get a new beanie baby every week

* You remember a time before the WB.

* You were addicted to "Are You Afraid of the Dark?"

* You remember how stupid it looked when your parents did the "Macarena"

* You thought Brain woud finally take over the world

* You have played the games Crossfire, Hungry Hungry Hippos, and Connect Four

* Doug, Ren & Stimpy, Rugrats, Hey Arnold!, Salute Your Shorts, Wild & Crazy Kids, Rocko's Modern Life, Hey Dude, Double Dare, Pete and Pete, and Ahh! Real Monsters were better than this SpongeBob $h!

* You know where the reference to whizzing on the electric fence comes from

* You felt bad for the Trix bunny because the bastard kids never gave him any Trix

* You always wanted a pair of LA Gear sneakers

* You had a bowl cut or know someone that did

* You always wanted to punch the TV whenever the dog from Duck Hunter would laugh at you

* You know what a Big Wheel is

197861[/snapback]

All the stuff above - yep. The stuff below I don't get - maybe some American stuff in here? I've never heard of Oregon Trail day or Arbor Day.

All the stuff above - yep. The stuff below I don't get - maybe some American stuff in here? I've never heard of Oregon Trail day or Arbor Day.

197863[/snapback]

There wasn't an official "Oregon Trail Day"...it just that most schools in America set aside time to play the game Oregon Trail...I remember playing it in 5th grade during our computer class

Arbor Day is the day they plant trees and talk about conservation...the blue jean pencils were made from recycled denim

You guys didn't have Trappers?? Those were like a staple of elementary school back in 3rd & 4th grade, and even up through middle school :P

Gak was the gooey stuff from Nickelodeon that came in a container, they have a commercial of it on RetroJunk.com

The whole acid washed jeans and flourescent shirt thing was just an early 90s trend

Edited by mustang84

Oregon Trail is the $h!!  Yes, 99% of those apply to me...I miss the 90's. :(

197873[/snapback]

You have died from cholera.

Last year I had a friend who was taking an American History class. He had to write a paper on something, I suggested he play Oregon Trail and write his paper on it. He decided to go ahead and do it, playing a newer version of the game than the one we all know and love (crappy graphics, those damned rabbits that you can never shoot whilst hunting). As a way to thank me for giving him the idea, he named one of the characters David, and he died about a month into the trip. He got an A on the paper, which was pretty much just a 13 page, play-by-play of the game. It took him a while to write it because he kept having everyone die in the game.

You have died from cholera.

197876[/snapback]

I always ended up with some numbskull on the party that would always get snakebites or get lost...I always wondered why they never made a "drop" feature members of your party, since you could dump everything else!

I used to shoot like 3000 pounds of buffalo but only be able to carry 300 back. :P

I was always the cheapskate. I never took the toll road or hired an Indian guide...so half the time I would end up hitting rocks or having my raft overturn.

oh man I dont even want to go into details on how i had to get stitches from a slip n slide. I really showed those kids how its done.

Alot of this stuff i havent even heard of since when i was around in the 90's i never payed attention to pop culture.

Lawn Darts anyone? I wonder if my set is worth anything. What i great concept. Get hammered then try to throw metal spikes into a ring. So many people had to be rushed to the hospital because of those.

Edited by capriceman

Haha I remember most of those. My mom has a pair of old LA Gear sneakers. I never knew they were big or popular. They look like crap. I never had a pair of rollerblades though and I have tried them. Lets just say that there is a reason I never had them lol. I remember boom-boxes. I never had one though, the first one I got was a CD player in 2000 lol. I missed a whole decade of music. BTW, you know you were a 90s kid if you listened to the boy bands or the Hamsterdance haha.

Last year I had a friend who was taking an American History class.  He had to write a paper on something, I suggested he play Oregon Trail and write his paper on it.  He decided to go ahead and do it, playing a newer version of the game than the one we all know and love (crappy graphics, those damned rabbits that you can never shoot whilst hunting).  As a way to thank me for giving him the idea, he named one of the characters David, and he died about a month into the trip.  He got an A on the paper, which was pretty much just a  13 page, play-by-play of the game.  It took him a while to write it because he kept having everyone die in the game.

197880[/snapback]

God, someone was always getting typhoid or my wheels would break or I'd run out of food or all my &#036;h&#33; would get rogued by Indians or bandits. Stupid game. <_<

Still do it.

Got a Nintendo DS now.

* Doug, Ren & Stimpy, Rugrats, Hey Arnold!, Salute Your Shorts, Wild & Crazy Kids, Rocko's Modern Life, Hey Dude, Double Dare, Pete and Pete, and Ahh! Real Monsters were better than this SpongeBob &#036;h&#33;

Absolutely!

197861[/snapback]

I still say dude and awesome all the damn time.

SOme of the styling and phrases do date back into the 80's, even earlier like Hudson said. Stonewashed jeans 70's, what did you call them acid washed? that began in 80's, LA Gear, Dude is actually kind of old, Awsome, Sick, Twisted, boom boxes I had one of the early ones in 76 Panasonic, it was small.

The cartoons and games. I watched most of them with my daughter though. The shows, seen them all too.

Its kinda cool really, there was less generation gap between us 70's brats and our 80/90's children than we had with our parents. Now today its getting bad again, worse really.

Who remembers Samurai Pizza Cats? VR Troopers? Beetle Borgs?

198040[/snapback]

I remember the Samurai Pizza Cats!! And Beetle Borgs too! No clue on VR Troopers...

Who here remembers Mr. Wizard? Count Duckula? Maya The Bee? The Noozles? Adventures of the Little Koala? The Littl' Bits?

Those are some early 90s Nick shows I remember as a small child...

COUNTERPOINT:

You know you DIDN'T grow up in the 90s when you talk to somebody who grew up in the 90s and mention someone like Donna Summer and they say:

"Who?"

:lol:

For me, the 90s means Bill and Hillary (:puke:), becoming licensed as an architect in '97 and the birth of the '98 Intrigue...among other things.

Bill Clinton was one of the greatest Presidents of this country. He brought people together like very few Presidents have done.

---

The 90s were alright...but def not my favorite decade. That honor goes to the 80s.

THAT SAID...the tennis skirt is dying to make a comeback. I miss seeing those everywhere :(

Damn I just had the mother of all Post-traumatic Stress Disorder flashbacks.

I think it was the mention of Power Rangers that set it off.

Anyway, for those that are asking, VR Troopes was basically a Power Rangers knockoff that was actually imported by the same people. It was basically in the same format. Bad American actors act out the non- action scenes, and the action scenes are grainy Japanese footage overdubbed with the American actors' voices of these spandex-wearing behelmeted superheroes fighting "viruses" (big pupper monsters) in computers--replete with fake energy blasts everytime somebody took a hit (I wonder how many cast members got horrendous burns from that)

As I remember it, it was also on early in trhe morning or on right before I got home from school, so I usually missed it, but I have caught it a few times.

Powerrangers was the exact same way of course, only they fought monsters on terrestrial earth.

Dammit, I feel old.

You feel old? I used to sell tons of Oregon Trail CD-ROMs to you little wipper-snappers when I was an assistant manager at Software ETC. Then there was Oregon Trail 2, and all you little weenies got all excited.

Here's one from the 90's (even though I'm more of an 80's kid):

* Getting scared &#036;h&#33;less when that undead doberman jumped out at you for the first time in Resident Evil for the PS.

I remember most of them, and I wish that I could find a good version of Oregon Trail to play today. I had a ton of fun playing that when I was a little kid namely because I would always hunt and like it was said before, shoot 3000 pounds of meat and only be able to carry 300, but it was still fun. The only thing I ever bought was more ammunition whenever I stopped in towns.

Bill Clinton was one of the greatest Presidents of this country.  He brought people together like very few Presidents have done.

198166[/snapback]

Wait...you're at SC...and you're a Democrat?! I'm completely non-partisan and fairly apolitical. The barf icon was for Hillary but I don't like him much either. One of the things that you, young man, as a student of commerce ought to glean (I'm being comical, ignore me) is that Bill came in at the end of a recession and left before the beginning of another one...he couldn't have picked a better spot in the business cycle, which graphically undulates with predictable spikes and troughs. I think the moniker "Slick Willie" for Clinton is appropriate...I don't trust the smooth talking BS and he swept a lot under the rug that needed attention later.

I am not a big fan of Bush either, but no other modern day Pres has had to deal with an attack on our soil of such magnitude. He can be a "bull in a china shop" from certain vantage points and there is certainly some validity to the special interests aspects of the war and his policies that people are upset about...including some of my staunchly Republican college friends.

Good points and bad points for both of them, I guess. Back to the lighter side of the 90s, please...

Those are all great memories but how could everyone have forgotten Captain Planet, and HE-MAN, haha trapper keeper everybody had em you look back now and think wow what a bunch of dorks we were, i still have my pogs in the garage lol..cuz if i threw em away they would be worth a fortune the next day.

The 90s were alright...but def not my favorite decade.  That honor goes to the 80s.

198166[/snapback]

I've always thought the 80s were more interesting even though I don't have as many memories of it as the 90s. From all the 80s movies I've seen and TV I've watched, it was just a cool decade...the 90s were like the hangover after the party got busted. Although I'd rank the 90s higher than the 00's...we're already halfway through this decade and there's nothing about it that really stands out as great.

I've always thought the 80s were more interesting even though I don't have as many memories of it as the 90s.  From all the 80s movies I've seen and TV I've watched, it was just a cool decade...the 90s were like the hangover after the party got busted.  Although I'd rank the 90s higher than the 00's...we're already halfway through this decade and there's nothing about it that really stands out as great.

198320[/snapback]

Agreed. This decade is just now starting to turn into 80s Part Deux...and while I love the callback...it was more original and interesting the first time.

So far I'd say this is the decade of "punk," electronic minimalism and American Idol from a music standpoint.

For clothes, this is the "vintage," "worn" and "destroyed" decade with some severe 80s influences...but in a more organic, less angular style. The velour tracksuit is to this decade what the tennis skirt was to the 90s and oversized sweatshirts were to the 80s. Oversized sunglasses : fanny packs : shoulder pads.

Let's see if I'm right in 5 years...

Edited by Croc

They're Pinky, they're pinky, and the brain brain brain brain brain

what about freakazoid, toejam and earl and the genesis, how cool the genesis was back in the day, it was the anti-nintendo and black and all cool and stuff.

i remember vr troopers. i did watch power rangers, remember when the simpsons was an appointment.....and for the latter years friends and seinfeld....the early 90's was all about fox night lineup. I was like 6 years old and watching married with children, not getting half the jokes but seeing how some people related to each other. then there was herman's head, and get a life.....

oh ya back to the cartoons...

ya that dog from duck hunt pissed me off like nothing else. remember when aladdin and lion king came out? biggest disney movers ever doubtless

wasn't there a solar eclipse in like 1992?

the 2000s have been calamitous compared to the easy living of the 90's.

and yes, about 99% of the first comments apply to me.

WHO HERE REMEMBERS THE DOUBLE BIG MAC??

Anyone remember when Wendy's had a salad bar?

Two words: bumblebee girl

Ally McBeal? Dancing Baby?

Linda Tripp?

TLC?

Lori Beth and her Vital Information for Your Everyday Life?

Calvin Klein?

Dennis Rodman?

Oh the 90s...