Sign in to follow this  
mustang84

Video testing the Lexus auto-park feature

31 posts in this topic

Paolino    99

That was SO funny. Yup... it's going in an e-mail ;)

Bimmer325    18

The only thing I've learned from this video is that Automobile journalists are a bunch of f@#king tools.

Cool, guys.

How about a video that doesn't involve making a mockery of this feature?

FAPTurbo    1,080

How about a video that doesn't involve making a mockery of this feature?

210123[/snapback]

I'd be doing something similar if I was the vehicle behind the Tool using this feature on a crowded street...

Bimmer325    18

Is this really any surprise though?

210130[/snapback]

In all honesty...Yes.

I've personally seen the LS park itself, and it did so flawlessly.

Granted, it wasn't driven by a group of losers straining themselves to be funny (yet failing miserably).

Flybrian    0

In all honesty...Yes. 

Granted, it wasn't driven by a group of losers straining themselves to be funny (yet failing miserably).

210133[/snapback]

At some Lexus event, right? I have to wonder how it performs in the real word where there are more than champagne glass pyramids or two RX330s parked a perfect nineteen-and-a-half feet from each other. Read their blog entry to see what other problem could potentially befall this system and think about it.

By its very nature, it needs to be careful and cautious and check itself (unrelentingly) lest it wreck itself, so what does it do if it detects pressure from road debris, a light touch to the accelerator from a driver not paying attention, or someone walking between the car and the curb that its trying to park next to? Just give up? Probably. Again, it's designed to err on the side of caution whereas a human driver can simply determine that its okay to run over the road reflector or that the guy running between the cars is moving fast enough.

I can also see many less-than-ideal situations where - by fault of car or driver - the car is mispositioned and will refuse to park, thereby sitting in the middle of the road like a big pile of crap while fifteen other drivers who know what they're doing try to get around. Meanwhile, the LS driver is furiously arguing with the computer or repositioning the car because he doesn't know the turning limits or radius of his own car (something seemingly few in this country do).

Also, anyone who uses this in real life to perpendicular park is f@#king dunce and shouldn't be allowed to drive.

I know this sounds like mindless Lexus-bashing, its not - I'm saving up my malcontent for the Tampa Auto Show next week! This is something that has been tauted in various forms in Japan for years and there, regardless if it works well or not, its a necessity. Here, not so much. Even the smallest parallel parking spaces are reasonably-sized and can accomodate large vehicles. That's where I find this to be a parlor trick and nothing more, cute as it may be. I've seen 80+ year-olds somehow slip Grand Marquis and Park Avenues into parallel spaces yet people our own age can't do it with a Del Sol. We're losing an ability in this country called driving and replacing it with riding. Self-parking combined with lane-departure warning, radar cruise control, and other features are treats to drivers like us but subsitutes for real skill for the vast majority. There's a huge difference between features like a parallel park mirror that aids in a certain task and something that simply does it for you.

pow    106

Give me an auto-tilt passenger mirror and parking sensors and I can parallel park anywhere. Reversing cameras are only good on large SUVs and minivans, and self-parking is pretty much useless.

VenSeattle    8

Give me an auto-tilt passenger mirror and parking sensors and I can parallel park anywhere. Reversing cameras are only good on large SUVs and minivans, and self-parking is pretty much useless.

210208[/snapback]

Bingo! I have no problem parallel parking my Buick thanks to those two features.

They take all the guess-work out of parallel parking: the distance you are from the curb & the distance between you and the car sitting behind you.

Croc    268

In all honesty...Yes. 

210133[/snapback]

I'm with you on this one Bimmer...they definitely weren't trying to test the feature...they already had their own vision of the outcome in mind when they were doing it...and being really obnoxious spazzes wasn't helping either.

I think it's an unnecessary feature...but I won't mock it until I see some more objective magazines...and certainly one of a higher caliber than Automobile...come to similar conclusions.

Intrepidation    846

I can parallel park my car with nothing but the wheel, the pedals and my eye. It's pretty funny...it also shows the the technology, while coo,, is pointless. How friggin' lazy do you have to be to not park the car yourself, which would take far less time, even if the system was working "flawlessly"

Croc    268

OK...read Dan Neil's review on cars.com...yea he panned it so I'll defer to the majority on this...but man those Automobile guys were obnoxious...

toyoguy    0

In all honesty...Yes. 

210133[/snapback]

Technically automobile mag likes the car.

The new LS460 is not just the peer of the leading trio, it provides a new benchmark for the category

but the feature is there more for advertising then actual use, that and journalists are the last people to figure out how to work any form of technology.

balthazar    1,882

I've parallel parked 18-foot vehicles all my life with no gimmicks like auto-tilt mirrors or parking sonar. It's a fundamental basic of learning to drive- if you can't do it, you shouldn't be driving.

Fly is dead-right: this overwrought technical coddling of drivers is creating a pool of worse & worse drivers overall, and it "raises the (perception) bar" as far as the competition having to match this in the near future because it's "better"... until you can't buy a new car without all this electronic bullsh!t on it.

I still don't really know what to think of this feature. Can't see the video, just commenting on the LS in general.

On one hand, I agree that it is an essential skill. For me, I like to be connected to the road and know I have the skill to drive properly, which is part of the reason why I drive a manual. However, I also understand those who drive automatics - and how that ideal could be extended to want this feature.

Also, as for the, "If you can't do this, you shouldn't be driving!" comment - I bet people in the past looked at prepared food and thought it was a travesty...

"If you can't churn your own butter and kill your own cow, you shouldn't be eating!!"

Intrepidation    846

I think i'd be a great feature for larger vehicles or ones with poor outward visibility...still I prefer to do it mysel...I'm not too fond of entrusting the car to do it.

pow    106

I've parallel parked 18-foot vehicles all my life with no gimmicks like auto-tilt mirrors or parking sonar. It's a fundamental basic of learning to drive- if you can't do it, you shouldn't be driving.

210290[/snapback]

I wouldn't call them gimmicks... they genuinely aid visibility, and they're useful in the same way towing mirrors are to large trucks. Parking radar and auto-tilt mirrors don't replace the driver, but they make reversing safer.

Drew Dowdell    5,000

Give me a big freakin car with actual edges and a sharp turning radius. I could park my '85 Continental in spaces that would make Focus drivers jealous. Mostly because I could see the edges of the car because it wasn't a big jelly bean and because the front wheels could turn at such a sharp angle that you'd think they were going to fall off.

Polish_Kris    0

This is a pretty dumb feature, and kind of point-less, it is not working the way it is designed. I understand the idea of the back-up camera, but this backing system is useless

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this