Chevrolet Captiva Coming To Canada

CadillacCTS

So my GM rep was in town yesterday, and I noticed on my allotment list that it contained "Captiva" on the Chevrolet list. I questioned him about whether or not it was a mistake, and he told me it wasn't and that it would be in Canada as a 2007 model shortly after the new year. I had been told this a few months ago, but I wasn't too sure about it. He confirmed that it is true and that it would be brought over from Europe.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Well, most of you do realize, this is essentially very much the same as what will be the new VUE, just different trim and fasicas?

That said, I also wonder what it would do to the Equinox, if sold side by side to one another...definately odd, if it is true.

Here's some better pics of a Captiva:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The dash does have a weird Sorento-ness to it, but it all otherwise looks quite nice. Still doesn't make sense to sell it in Canada, but neither did selling Daewoo-Suzuki's there as Chevys.

Guest YellowJacket894

Whoever manages GM Canada is on drugs. No joke to that.

Having this and both the Equinox at the same dealership makes no sense. One is just going to cannibalize sales from the other.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like the Captiva and would rather see it here (in all of North America) than the Equinox with some appropriate styling changes. But having both it and the Equinox smells like pointless overlap to me.

Edited by YellowJacket894

So, they're rebadging the Vibe as a Chevy. At least the side view looks like a Vibe.

And then they complain when they give Pontiac look alike cars. The bow tie on the front grill looks out of proportion, almost truck like. I'd call this car, Global Warning. lol

Guest YellowJacket894

I also like the fact a manual transmission is available. The whole car makes me think of a poor man's BMW X3, which isn't a bad thing.

Note to GM: Build more SUVs with manual transmissions. Give your SUVs a little more soul and make them more driver focused.

I really like the styling of this Captiva. I agree it doesn't seem necessary to have both this and the Equinox, as they are simliar vehicles...but give me the choice and I'd take the Captiva.

Of course being here in the United States, I don't think we will have that choice. But if we did, The Captiva with anyting more than a 200hp engine would be at the top of my list. I like the Opel Antara, which will be the new Saturn Vue...but the front end of this just looks a LOT better to me.

Guest YellowJacket894

Posted Image

Oh God...it's the Chevrolet Sebring!

Holy $h!! Until your post, I never thought twice about that connection. But, for everything wrong with the Sebring, the Epica pretty much fixes it. Hell, since the Epica came first, the Sebring wishes it was an Epica.

A thought: could this also mean that the Captiva or Epica could possibly come here (the U.S.) as a Suzuki?

Not only hints of Kia, but the centre stack of the Captive sure reminds me of the updated one in the Cadillac SRX regarding the shapes of things.

And, did anyone notice the tone of the green illumination? That green IS very Korean, or Ford, if you like. American Chevrolets have more of an aqua green illumination combined with white/whitish numerals in the IP.

Well, most of you do realize, this is essentially very much the same as what will be the new VUE, just different trim and fasicas?

217293[/snapback]

It's larger than the new Vue, with an extra row of seats, and different sheetmetal all over. As a Korean-built model it will also have different powertrain options-a different 2.4 L and a smaller 3.2 L V6, while the Vue will get the new, smaller Dual VVT 2.4 L and the upgraded 3.6 L.

Yes, the Epica is coming too, but he didn't have a time frame for it. To touch on concerns over Equinox sales....When I won a GM trip in September to France and Italy, I was lucky enough to get the chance to view the Captiva up close. It is much bigger than it appears in pictures, im pretty sure it is bigger than the Equinox. The interior can not be justified in these pictures, as I thought it looked way better in real life. To further prove that the Captiva is coming to Canada, It is already on our vehicle locator under Chevrolet.

Edited by CadillacCTS

Yes, the Epica is coming too, but he didn't have a time frame for it.  To touch on concerns over Equinox sales....When I won a GM trip in September to France and Italy, I was lucky enough to get the chance to view the Captiva up close.  It is much bigger than it appears in pictures, im pretty sure it is bigger than the Equinox.  The interior can not be justified in these pictures, as I thought it looked way better in real life.  To further prove that the Captiva is coming to Canada, It is already on our vehicle locator under Chevrolet.

217465[/snapback]

The Equinox is another size class higher, thanks to a longer wheelbase (2850 v 2707 mm) and overall length which pushes it closer to Highlander and Murano. The Captiva benefits from being a newer product with more refinement and better design, however it is apparently noticeably cheaper than the Antara as far as materials go.

So, they're rebadging the Vibe as a Chevy.  At least the side view looks like a Vibe.

And then they complain when they give Pontiac look alike cars. The bow tie on the front grill looks out of proportion, almost truck like.  I'd call this car, Global Warning.  lol

217319[/snapback]

Uh...no. The Captiva isn't even remotely like the smaller and lower Vibe wagon, and is much more a taller, upright SUV with "car" mechanicals underneath.

It looks quite good, but I still wonder what it will do being sold side by side with the Equinox, even if they are somewhat (but still not greatly) different in size.

I like the seats, and don't find the interior to be all that bad. I wish we had it. My wife and I are in the middle of our adoption classes for 2 more kids, and this could be the prefect vehicle for me, as she refuses to give up her gas hog Suburban.

The Captiva looks infinitely better than the upcoming Antara/Vue.  I think the center stack look good, not great, too.  Too bad the Captiva isn't coming to North America.  It would do incredibly well.

217501[/snapback]

Umm isn't it the whole point of this thread that it is coming to North America?

I am not sure how this vehicle will impact the Equinox's sales; however, anything that is different than the Torrent has got to be a good thing. I am tired of trying to justify the Torrent to customers who are looking at the Equinox. The Pontiac dealers blabbering that the Torrent is a better vehicle just confuses people. This kind of canablism does not benefit GM now that Toyota is kicking our asses in the large, urban markets.

The Captiva looks far better inside, although I"d like to see the cloth seats, too. The Equinox's cloth seats are AWFUL, UGLY and they stain easily, although the 2007 seats are a little LESS ugly.

Chevrolet has a HUGE gap in its line up, with the demise of the extended Trailblazer. We desperately need a 7 passenger vehicle that isn't a tank like the Tahoe. We are losing sales left and right to the imports because the Tahoe/Suburban is too big (and damned over priced!) for this market.

Although I like the Equinox over all, we are losing sales to the Sante Fe, Xtrail, etc. because of their "edgier" looks. Something smaller and more athletic looking would be well received in the market, I believe.

Yes, the Epica is coming too, but he didn't have a time frame for it.  To touch on concerns over Equinox sales....When I won a GM trip in September to France and Italy, I was lucky enough to get the chance to view the Captiva up close.  It is much bigger than it appears in pictures, im pretty sure it is bigger than the Equinox.  The interior can not be justified in these pictures, as I thought it looked way better in real life.  To further prove that the Captiva is coming to Canada, It is already on our vehicle locator under Chevrolet.

217465[/snapback]

Which dealer do you work at? The Epica did come to Canada in 2004, along with Aveo and Optra. It's pathetic sales led to it's cancellation following the 2006 model year. The Epica will not return. You may have the only allotment list with Captiva on it becayse ours surely don't. Other vehicles currently on the Locator system:

-2006 Captiva

-2007 LUV, Damos, Labo,

-2007 Lumina, Caprice, Spark, Vivant, Corsa

Don't believe a model is coming just because it's on Locator. We have not had any reason to believe the Captiva is on it's way to Canada. I don't think GM is just going to drop it on our doorstep without any launch. When the Optra, Aveo, and Epica came in 2004, we had a launch long before the vehicles were delivered to dealers. All other new models were available on GMinfonet long before thier delivery. Don't hold your breath for a Captiva in Canada!!

The exterior is nice and the interior appears to be nice (especially with the NAV) but fail to see why this and the Equinox are needed. If I have it right, the Captiva is smaller than the 'Nox but has a third row. Just doesn't make much sense to me.

I took a look at the Chevrolet Captiva on the European Chevy website and to be perfectly frank, I hope it comes to Canada.

I like the styling inside and out, and if the quality of material and construction is there, I would definitely try it out.

I like the seats, and don't find the interior to be all that bad.  I wish we had it.  My wife and I are in the middle of our adoption classes for 2 more kids, and this could be the prefect vehicle for me, as she refuses to give up her gas hog Suburban.

217488[/snapback]

these are all theta ..right? I tend to lean twards the antata myself!They are the same vehicle ...right? Antara was going to be the next vue last I heard.

Posted Image

Posted Image

What gives?

Edited by prototype66

Not only hints of Kia, but the centre stack of the Captive sure reminds me of the updated one in the Cadillac SRX regarding the shapes of things.

And, did anyone notice the tone of the green illumination? That green IS very Korean, or Ford, if you like. American Chevrolets have more of an aqua green illumination combined with white/whitish numerals in the IP.

217400[/snapback]

if you look on the Korean website for GM, the Captiva is their Winstorm.

http://www.gmdat.com/gmmcc/gmmcc.jsp?carID...ntsID=brandpage

Those vehicles show up on the GMCL allotment report because the same model table that drives allotment and locator is used by the GMLAAM for some of their systems.  They ain't coming anytime soon.

218300[/snapback]

That's excactly what I was saying. If the Captiva was coming to Canada, we would know about it already.

these are all theta ..right? I tend to lean twards the antata myself!They are the same vehicle ...right? Antara was going to be the next vue last I heard.

Posted Image

Posted Image

What gives?

218019[/snapback]

Similar, but they share no common sheetmetal, and the Captiva is longer and has an optional third row, whereas the Antara only seats 5. They both use an updated version of the Saturn Vue's swb Theta platform.

• 1 month later...

Posted Image

Oh God...it's the Chevrolet Sebring!

LOL It is! But I'd take the Chrysler...I think it looks better...anyway the Malibu mops the floor with this thing.

I like the Captiva, but in the American lineup it would look too much like the Vue, and people would bitch about it being badge engineering.