• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

CadillacCTS

Chevrolet Captiva Coming To Canada

So my GM rep was in town yesterday, and I noticed on my allotment list that it contained "Captiva" on the Chevrolet list. I questioned him about whether or not it was a mistake, and he told me it wasn't and that it would be in Canada as a 2007 model shortly after the new year. I had been told this a few months ago, but I wasn't too sure about it. He confirmed that it is true and that it would be brought over from Europe.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks like Daewoo went for an '03 Kia for inspiration...

Posted Image

Posted Image

But truth be told, I don't think it's any worse than the RAV4's, Liberty's, Escape's, etc.

Edited by empowah

Well, most of you do realize, this is essentially very much the same as what will be the new VUE, just different trim and fasicas?

That said, I also wonder what it would do to the Equinox, if sold side by side to one another...definately odd, if it is true.

Here's some better pics of a Captiva:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The dash does have a weird Sorento-ness to it, but it all otherwise looks quite nice. Still doesn't make sense to sell it in Canada, but neither did selling Daewoo-Suzuki's there as Chevys.

...I also wonder what it would do to the Equinox, if sold side by side to one another...definately odd, if it is true.

Where I live, it seems there are more 'nox's on dealer lots than in driveways so it can't hurt sales too much ;(

Guest YellowJacket894

Whoever manages GM Canada is on drugs. No joke to that.

Having this and both the Equinox at the same dealership makes no sense. One is just going to cannibalize sales from the other.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like the Captiva and would rather see it here (in all of North America) than the Equinox with some appropriate styling changes. But having both it and the Equinox smells like pointless overlap to me.

Edited by YellowJacket894

Probably alot nicer with the Nav screen...

217315[/snapback]

Maybe, but those dead buttons and that "storage" box scream "cheap"

Vehicles should have good looking interiors without the NAV screen, anyway.

So, they're rebadging the Vibe as a Chevy. At least the side view looks like a Vibe.

And then they complain when they give Pontiac look alike cars. The bow tie on the front grill looks out of proportion, almost truck like. I'd call this car, Global Warning. lol

Guest YellowJacket894

I also like the fact a manual transmission is available. The whole car makes me think of a poor man's BMW X3, which isn't a bad thing.

Note to GM: Build more SUVs with manual transmissions. Give your SUVs a little more soul and make them more driver focused.

CadillacCTS: Any word on Epica? I assume the new one already sold in Europe comes to Canada in the spring?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh God...it's the Chevrolet Sebring!

I like the Captiva. But I don't think it's necessary for both it and the 'Nox to be around.

I really like the styling of this Captiva. I agree it doesn't seem necessary to have both this and the Equinox, as they are simliar vehicles...but give me the choice and I'd take the Captiva.

Of course being here in the United States, I don't think we will have that choice. But if we did, The Captiva with anyting more than a 200hp engine would be at the top of my list. I like the Opel Antara, which will be the new Saturn Vue...but the front end of this just looks a LOT better to me.

Guest YellowJacket894

Posted Image

Oh God...it's the Chevrolet Sebring!

Holy $h!! Until your post, I never thought twice about that connection. But, for everything wrong with the Sebring, the Epica pretty much fixes it. Hell, since the Epica came first, the Sebring wishes it was an Epica.

A thought: could this also mean that the Captiva or Epica could possibly come here (the U.S.) as a Suzuki?

Not only hints of Kia, but the centre stack of the Captive sure reminds me of the updated one in the Cadillac SRX regarding the shapes of things.

And, did anyone notice the tone of the green illumination? That green IS very Korean, or Ford, if you like. American Chevrolets have more of an aqua green illumination combined with white/whitish numerals in the IP.

I think the Captiva will be very competitive in its segment due to its atractive exterior and very nice interior options. I also realy like the way they advertise the cars capacity. :thumbsup:

post-2966-1163920039_thumb.jpg

post-2966-1163920072_thumb.jpg

Well, most of you do realize, this is essentially very much the same as what will be the new VUE, just different trim and fasicas?

217293[/snapback]

It's larger than the new Vue, with an extra row of seats, and different sheetmetal all over. As a Korean-built model it will also have different powertrain options-a different 2.4 L and a smaller 3.2 L V6, while the Vue will get the new, smaller Dual VVT 2.4 L and the upgraded 3.6 L.

Yes, the Epica is coming too, but he didn't have a time frame for it. To touch on concerns over Equinox sales....When I won a GM trip in September to France and Italy, I was lucky enough to get the chance to view the Captiva up close. It is much bigger than it appears in pictures, im pretty sure it is bigger than the Equinox. The interior can not be justified in these pictures, as I thought it looked way better in real life. To further prove that the Captiva is coming to Canada, It is already on our vehicle locator under Chevrolet.

Edited by CadillacCTS

three rows of seating, a quality interior, available manual tranny, and attractive sheetmetal all contribute to this car's good attributes. chevy has enough SUVs, though a three row crossover seems imminent for us.

Yes, the Epica is coming too, but he didn't have a time frame for it.  To touch on concerns over Equinox sales....When I won a GM trip in September to France and Italy, I was lucky enough to get the chance to view the Captiva up close.  It is much bigger than it appears in pictures, im pretty sure it is bigger than the Equinox.  The interior can not be justified in these pictures, as I thought it looked way better in real life.  To further prove that the Captiva is coming to Canada, It is already on our vehicle locator under Chevrolet.

217465[/snapback]

The Equinox is another size class higher, thanks to a longer wheelbase (2850 v 2707 mm) and overall length which pushes it closer to Highlander and Murano. The Captiva benefits from being a newer product with more refinement and better design, however it is apparently noticeably cheaper than the Antara as far as materials go.

So, they're rebadging the Vibe as a Chevy.  At least the side view looks like a Vibe.

And then they complain when they give Pontiac look alike cars. The bow tie on the front grill looks out of proportion, almost truck like.  I'd call this car, Global Warning.  lol

217319[/snapback]

Uh...no. The Captiva isn't even remotely like the smaller and lower Vibe wagon, and is much more a taller, upright SUV with "car" mechanicals underneath.

It looks quite good, but I still wonder what it will do being sold side by side with the Equinox, even if they are somewhat (but still not greatly) different in size.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.