Climate Change

MGZ06

Climate Change  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Will you contribute to reducing the effects of climate change?

• Of coarse, We have generations to come and need to help them
    • Maybe, I might buy energy efficient products
    • Never thought about it
    • Ah who cares, i'll be gone befor it gets too hot.

Before I begin, I just to let everyone know this is not another tree huggers rant.

Scientists say 2007 may be warmest yet

Im not sure how much this really effects those in the southern states but this weather is crazy. It's nice to have warm weather but something just does not sound right when there is no snow at all, alteast here in the Windsor/Detroit area, and tempertures resembling a spring day.

It has been pretty warm here too. It is 46 Degrees here in Northeast Wisconsin at 12:51 P.M I hear though that by next weekend it will be much colder. Time to get the Christmas stuff down outside before it starts to get really cold.

"Global Warming" is a huge myth. The planet isn't warming due to man...geologically, we are still exiting an ice age. No $h! the climate will gradually get warmer. What man is doing is eating away the ozone layer, which causes greater incidences of skin cancer.

"Global Warming" is a huge myth. The planet isn't warming due to man...geologically, we are still exiting an ice age. No $h! the climate will gradually get warmer. What man is doing is eating away the ozone layer, which causes greater incidences of skin cancer.

Actually - We can't say conclusively either way.

The warming we are seeing may be as a result of natural global trends, or may be as a result of the ozone damage caused by man. I believe it's a combination of the two. How much have we contributed? Hard to say... I don't even really want to venture a guess.

Still doesn't make the end result any less frightening, even if it is naturally caused. If the Ross Ice Shelf decides to say goodbye to Antarctica, we'll have giant tsunamis and suddenly, higher global ocean levels. Yikes.

That's it, I'm going out and buying a Stanley Steamer. :P

When you have an extra-warm (so far) winter like this, global warming stuff boils to the surface. I personally don't believe humans can change Earth's climate, it's out of our hands.

Thank You.

Yes, both my 1964 Super-88 & a 2007 Prius are just drops in the bucket...

If anything is to blame in 2007 it's NOT cars... factories, planes, the

destruction of the Rainforest and the fact that the earth's climate is NEVER

stable have a lot more to do with it.

I am going to err to the side of caution and say that I am concerned. I think that we do need to do something. I think that all of the small steps combined ought to help. I don't think we'll see its detrimental effects in our lifetimes; however, in later times, it will be a problem

I hate this - we see all this nonsense come out every time the weather gets abnormally warm. Here's a novel thought - it's cyclical, and nothing anyone says is going to do anything about it. IIRC, the past few winters have been abnormally COLD and snowy. The jet stream and El Nino have a lot more to do with weather patterns than anything we do on our own.

The weather here has been very disturbing for months, excessive rain, consistently warm, with violent swings in temperature before/after large storms.

The grass is green and growing in January ! I've never seen that before.

Something is definately wrong, just what that might be isn't sure.

If, in fact, human activities are to blame, we would do better too look at doing something about the largely unregulated Industrial polluters around the globe than at cars. They have been getting a free ride on the backs of auto manufacturers for far too long.

But, as someone who has spent most of my waking hours outside for the last two decades, I'm certain that something is very,very, wrong.

i can't prove this--> , but supposedly the temps dropped about 3 degrees the day after 9/11, maybe from no planes flying.

we're nearing the end of 1 earth wobble cycle which takes something like every 40,000 years, the Mayans calculated that to be 2012's winter solstice (love the history channel) an uncle, he's a geologist professor, said there's a correlation to this cycle and the ice ages we know about, makes sense.

actually the ozone layer is supposed to be getting better on average.

so if it's a yearly average temp , i'd say yes, unless it's also a mild summer... all depends on how they figure this average.

Countless microclimate simulations have proven that significantly increased concentrations of CO2 (500 ppm) in the atmosphere will increase temperature. It's just a characteristic of the gas...

However, greenhouse gases are one of several factors that affect climate, and how big a role it plays is the debatable part. Personally I like the "better safe than sorry" approach.

The weather here has been very disturbing for months, excessive rain, consistently warm, with violent swings in temperature before/after large storms.

The grass is green and growing in January ! I've never seen that before.

Something is definately wrong, just what that might be isn't sure.

If, in fact, human activities are to blame, we would do better too look at doing something about the largely unregulated Industrial polluters around the globe than at cars. They have been getting a free ride on the backs of auto manufacturers for far too long.

But, as someone who has spent most of my waking hours outside for the last two decades, I'm certain that something is very,very, wrong.

Yes, it is astonishing how the past 200 years have changed the atmosphere composition more rapidly than it has changed the past 10,000 years. With exponential population growth, it all seems inevitable.

I think we've all been so fixated to cars being our sole transportation that millions commuting in their gas-burning cars seem normal. But when you stop and think about it... it really dawns on you. How could this, everyday, in thousands of cities, not affect the atmosphere?

Posted Image

To those of you who believe humans can't change the global climate...you're completely ignorant or in denial. The amounts of carbon dioxide that our cars and factories give off is far more than the plants can take in and convert to oxygen. Matters are made worse by the huge deforestation that goes on, especially in places like South America. CO2 is a greenhouse gas. It traps heat in...and the more of it there is them more heat gets trapped..hence global warming. The article about cows is quite interesting...but why do so many cows exits? For human consumption primarily...so we're still at fault. There are other factors that contribute to the warmer than normal temperatures we've experienced this winter (not so much El Nino but rather North Atlantic Oscillation and Arctic Oscillation). There are indeed factors that humans are not responsible for, however we are responsible for other factors....and to deny that s just...stupid.

I'm no tree hugger...hell I want a V8 in my next car...or a V10...but I at the same time I won't try to be oblivious to our contribution to the changing climate.

Guest YellowJacket894

I... could care less. I hate the cold. The warmer, the better. If that means flooding oceans, so be it. People can move to higher ground. I hear Montana's population is pretty scarce, yet its a big state. Send the beach goers there.

"I have a suggestion to keep you all occupied: learn to swim."

In the '70s, they said we are headed for the next Ice Age. Before that, in the '20s I believe, it was global warming. Several years ago it was global warming again. Now they changed the name again to Climate change. I've got a feeling we don't really know and that's the reason for the name change to climate change. Society is so quick to jump to conclusions saying that this is the cause and if you don't believe it, then you are crazy. They always fail to mention that the sun is burning hotter now than it ever has. All the solar activity that has been going on the last few years has been crazy.

Here's a good question. Since some believe we are the cause of global wa....I mean climate change, why are the polar ice caps on Mars melting? Are we the cause of that too?

Yes, it is astonishing how the past 200 years have changed the atmosphere composition more rapidly than it has changed the past 10,000 years. With exponential population growth, it all seems inevitable.

I think we've all been so fixated to cars being our sole transportation that millions commuting in their gas-burning cars seem normal. But when you stop and think about it... it really dawns on you. How could this, everyday, in thousands of cities, not affect the atmosphere?

Haven't they been recording temperture for the last 100 years only?

Edited by Derek77

To those of you who believe humans can't change the global climate...you're completely ignorant or in denial. The amounts of carbon dioxide that our cars and factories give off is far more than the plants can take in and convert to oxygen. Matters are made worse by the huge deforestation that goes on, especially in places like South America. CO2 is a greenhouse gas. It traps heat in...and the more of it there is them more heat gets trapped..hence global warming. The article about cows is quite interesting...but why do so many cows exits? For human consumption primarily...so we're still at fault. There are other factors that contribute to the warmer than normal temperatures we've experienced this winter (not so much El Nino but rather North Atlantic Oscillation and Arctic Oscillation). There are indeed factors that humans are not responsible for, however we are responsible for other factors....and to deny that s just...stupid.

I'm no tree hugger...hell I want a V8 in my next car...or a V10...but I at the same time I won't try to be oblivious to our contribution to the changing climate.

Population is the core issue.

And what should we do about this? Start killing off people? Not trying to be a smart ass, but what do we do about that?

Although at times I look outside, and it's friggin' cold and snowing, and I curse Al Gore's name... many more times I look at the evidence and see that humanity is changing the planet...

How much our impact is debatable.

There is money to be made in environmentalism by the way. Already, resourceful people and companies are turning methane from cattle into clean burning natural gas to run power generation, heat homes, etc. Other companies are pumping C02 into the ground instead of the atmosphere and thanks to some ingenutiy, diesel buses are being equipped with particulate filters that eliminate over 90% of poisonous gases. The Western World, as always, will have technology and resourcefulness on its side to counter the changes.

It'll be places like Africa that will suffer the most. If anything, the continent that's already plagued with war, will get even worse due to drought, famine, and the quest to find water. The Middle East is sure to get hotter, and they're already pissed off.

And what should we do about this? Start killing off people? Not trying to be a smart ass, but what do we do about that?

Nature will take its course. If population is the problem, then lots of people are going to die until population is no longer a problem.

Camino is right about the factories being the worse polluters. I would also like to contend, however, that volcano eruptions release more greenhouse gases than gasoline combustion.

On the subject of deforestation, the schools have been preaching to me since grade school to "save the rainforest". How do you suppose I do that? They never told me that part.

Nature will take its course. If population is the problem, then lots of people are going to die until population is no longer a problem.

Camino is right about the factories being the worse polluters. I would also like to contend, however, that volcano eruptions release more greenhouse gases than gasoline combustion.

On the subject of deforestation, the schools have been preaching to me since grade school to "save the rainforest". How do you suppose I do that? They never told me that part.

I agree with you with what you said.

To add about the factories being the worst polluters, China has to be the worst. But the Keto Treaty wasn't going to do anything about them. People can't expect us to just cut all our greenhouse gases and turn a blind eye to what they are doing over there. At times I think that is all Global Warming is about, punish America for being the wealthest and most powerful nation.

Posted Image

This may sum it up in one way I think about it...

What happens when YOU get a fever? You get real hot to help you kill off parasites, bacteria, virus' etc...

When I saw one of these cartoons, I felt a little smaller...

That being said... I still want a muscle car, but I think I sound selfish by saying that. Although that car would be a drop in the bucket, I'd likely have SOME guilt. Still, my Dad and I who like big vehicles, do have a soft spot for the Earth, and we have started a lot of energy saving efforts in our own home, like soft fluorescent lighting instead of halogens, turning the heat way down and just wearing a sweater, etc.

Edited by Captainbooyah

in the 3 days or so after 9/11 when no planes were allowed to fly, scientists recorded a noticeable drop in atmospheric CO2.

I'm not smart enough either way to know if global warming is human caused. What I am smart enough to know is, there is no reason at all to try and use as much energy as possible. I try not to be wasteful. 90% of my house uses compact florescent bulbs, my apartments all use compact florescent bulbs, I recycle the debris that I create when rehabing a house. If/When I have to replace heating/kitchen appliances, I choose the most efficient models I can afford. Yes I do drive an Avalanche..... rarely. I own one, but it mostly sits at the house unless I'm doing construction work. I'm down to about 500 miles a month on the CTS. I take the bus when/where I can.

I'd like to replace all 3 of our current vehicles with E85 burning models. We now have two E85 stations in town.

It's not difficult to be "green", you just have to care.

Yup. Everyone grab a Desert Eagle and a Shotgun and shoot random people (start with Toyota Camry and large SUV owners) :P

Seriously though. I have no idea what should be done. Of course people who drive big gas guzzling SUVs who don't need them can get something that actually suites their needs and use less gas and most likely is cleaner running. We can recycle instead of throwing everything away.

As Oldsmoboi was saying, we can use more efficient florescent bulbs, not leave everything on, and stuff

Other than that it's mainly large companies that burn coal and oil...here in both America and China that need to clean up their facilities. Of course it doesn't help that our moron president lifted environmental regulations and still wants to drill for oil in Alaska. Did you know that America ranks with 3rd world countries like China as far as how much we pollute. We don't rank with the other modern nations that actually make efforts to clean up. I read about that in my world history class. Some food for thought.

The other problem, regarding oil consumption by cars really can't be fixed until decent electric cars or more likely, hydrogen-powered cars can be mass-marketed. Even so though, this still leaves the billions of gas burning cars that already exist.

There's no simple solution, unfortunately.

Edited by Dodgefan

Hey, I'm not anti-enviro. I think we should cut pollution as much as possible. At the same time, I'm not gonna freak out over nice weather in winter...it's a blessing.

It's just so... disturbing. It also damages the plants quite a bit. I saw a Cherry tree in full flower just before Christmas, by now it may be leafing out. If it does, it will be severely damaged when it does get cold.

we may be having an impact, but the earth has survived before, anyway a super volcano will destroy all of us before the climate becomes intolerable for everything. :lol:

to think we know the future about things we don't is foolish.

if technology can't change fast enough, evolution will solve the problems, be it good or bad.

but i'm terrified of ManBearPig!!!!!!!!!

It's just so... disturbing. It also damages the plants quite a bit. I saw a Cherry tree in full flower just before Christmas, by now it may be leafing out. If it does, it will be severely damaged when it does get cold.

Cherry trees have survived it before and will survive it again. This isn't the first winter in my lifetime where warm weather confused the flora.

confused flora.

Flora and her sister Fauna. Great names for a set of twins, BTW.

I am not overly concerned for the short-term. At least, here and in other developed countries, there is awareness. It is the emerging nations that, in ramping up their production, consumption and general standard of living, will pose a much greater danger. And those people (no specific nation mentioned, as a matter of fact) make more babies than we do. In fact, it is interesting to note that the lowest birthrate in the world belongs to the Italians (and I thought they were supposed to be Catholic and family-oriented...LOL).

i guess its a bad thing I put two coal 1,000,000 BTU furnaces and 8 fuel oil furnaces in my home. plus I bought a 87 Ford non turbo diesel and i run off road use only extreme dirty diesel all the time. Plus I have lawnmowers running 24-7-52.

I dont care as long as gas goes no higher than $3.00 a gallon im fine with that.

I am not overly concerned for the short-term. At least, here and in other developed countries, there is awareness. It is the emerging nations that, in ramping up their production, consumption and general standard of living, will pose a much greater danger. And those people (no specific nation mentioned, as a matter of fact) make more babies than we do. In fact, it is interesting to note that the lowest birthrate in the world belongs to the Italians (and I thought they were supposed to be Catholic and family-oriented...LOL).

America is just as bad as developing countries and we lag far behind other developed ones.

birth rate is quite low in Japan, Italy, and Germany.

being catholic doesn't mean you have to have a lot of kids :P:lol: just means they shouldn't use birth-control other than around natural occurances.

but technology SHOULD give them cheap alternatives to their increasing need for resources, hopefully.

Turning your a/c up or down two degrees seems kind of pointless when China and India are pumping out millions of tons of CFCs, doesn't it?

When it saves you money its not pointless. I have a programmable thermostat that lowers the temp to 65 in the winter and raises it to 80 in the summer. I also use compact florescent bulbs where and when I can and when regular bulbs blow. All that for the sake of saving money.

America is just as bad as developing countries and we lag far behind other developed ones.

Where is the info on how bad America pollutes? I'm not saying its not true, I just want to see it for myself. But without seeing the data, I'll say that it might be because we produce more than any other nation.

EDIT: I must say I'm very impressed that this hasn't become political. Except for one comment saying our president is an idiot, like its his fault the EARTH has warmed a degree and controls the weather, but I'm very impressed.

Edited by Derek77

Perhaps. I do drive a 30 mpg car, but that's basically cancelled out by my commuting/pleasure runs.

We have to try and be conscious of what lies ahead, but on the plus side, I should be long gone before we really screw ourselves over. Sorry great grandchildren!

plant a tree and don't idle your car for 10 mins.

Great idea... I have no problem doing that, it's a good idea regardless of global warming or not.

As a few have said this crap goes back and forth all the time, every time we have a huge

blizzardor it's -23* farenheit here in N.E (Winter of 2002-'03) there's talk of global warming

causing more extreeme swings in temprature, percipitation etc. Then there's the other

scientists & what not who say we are headed for an ice age... round and round the merry

go round we go. And of course population has to do with it as well.

Edited by Sixty8panther

Great idea... I have no problem doing that, it's a good idea regardless of global warming or not.

As a few have said this crap goes back and forth all the time, every time we have a huge or it's

-23* farenheit here in N.E (Winter of 2002-'03) there's talk of global warming causing more

extreeme swings in temprature, percipitation etc. Then there's the other scientists & what not

who say we are headed for an ice age... round and round the merry go round we go.

And of course population has to do with it as well.

Yes, and as for population, I saw a video that recorded the world's estimated population for the 2,000 years. This was represented in dots. It increased slowly until the 1700-1800s and exploded in the 20th century. We're growing too fast...eventually there won't be any room left on the planet for us.