08 Malibu on chevy.com

C.H.U.D.

The guages on this thing are amazing. They took a trick from Honda nad faded the blue into the black. Thats very cool. This car looks to be competitive in every way with the Accord. I hope it gives it a run for its money. I hope its not a too little too late with the new 2008 Accord coming out.

The new Malibu is sort of bizzare but it's a nice alternative to the Accords & Camrys of the world.

I'll take bizzare or strange over "WATCHING PAINT DRY MAKES ME TOO EXCITED" cars like the

Camry, Taurus, Accord, Ford 500 & Fusion....

Edited by Sixty8panther

The back end is the only thing that bugs me about this car. It looks like it was rearended by a truck, and the tailights scream Mitsubishi Diamante. It somewhow does not flow with the rest of the car. But I will reserve my further opinions on it until I see it on Saturday.

The guages on this thing are amazing. They took a trick from Honda nad faded the blue into the black. Thats very cool. This car looks to be competitive in every way with the Accord. I hope it gives it a run for its money. I hope its not a too little too late with the new 2008 Accord coming out.

Yup... love it!

I really love this car!

Posted Image

From what it looks like there is no middle seat headrest and no armrest in the back seat. Shouldn't all new cars have these two little things. One of them can save your life. IMO, it is kind of unacceptable.

From that angle there's no way you can see enough to make either of those assertions.

Anyone else notice the Bowtie emblem that's on the front and rear lights, that looks sharp.

Yeah, I noticed it... I'm undecided. I thought that was really cool, but then I thought it was like overkill.

I wrote Chevy some feedback on the new Malibu. I commented that the side styling is a bit too dull looking and that a bodyside molding should be at the very least an option to help protect from door dings. I also commented that the tail lights need to be redone and made more like a Cobalt coupes. The 3.6 V6's dismal 26 mpg highway rating was also discussed as was the 2.4 Ecotec's loss of 11 hp compared to many 2007 versions of this engine. The lack of a rear seat center armrest is unforgivable seeing as how they let this slide on the G6, previous gen Malibu and the new Aura and now this! Is it my imagination or is the 2008 Malibus only real gain is V6 hp over the previous version, styling aside. I was expecting a much better effert than what is shown here from all the talk from the dealers when they previewed this car last year.

Edited by ponchoman49

I don't know...the more I look at it, the more I am starting to NOT like it.

The weird body crease on the corner of the front bumper just below the headlight, the flat boring side profile, and the way the grill area protrudes ever-so-slightly but enough to make me think Camry. I also HATE this color. So blah and unexciting. Couldn't GM pick another color to parade at the Auto shows, haven't we seen enough of it with the Aura? It doesn't do the car any justice if you ask me. At least the red metallic has more 'POP' and class. Come to think of it now, GM really made the LT look more upscale and expensive than the upper grade LTZ just because of the color they showed each in. Plus I really don't care for the aftermarket looking chrome grill inserts on the LTZ. Am I the only one who thinks they got this part of the marketing backwards?

In fact I think I am odd-man out here, as I actually think the best view of the car is the rear-3/4 shot. Specifically I think the only thing I am really liking on this car is from the C-pillar back at this angle. Probably because the tails and rear are looking like a Passat to me and I like the Passat.

The interior materials do seem far better than in past vehicles, but I'm still not convinced that there is enough rear seat leg room for my tastes. Guess I'll find out more for myself when I attend the Chicago Auto show in about a month.

Edited by CreativeVision

I really like the small details Chevy did to the car... they really took there time. I love the Chevy logo on the headlamp projector.

Posted Image

Also, the molded lips above the tailpipes in the rear lower fascia... these are the things GM's designers would have overlooked in the past.

Posted Image

Compared to the last Malibu, this one looks great, but overall, it doesn't tickle my fancy. I wouldn't even rank it in my personal top three for exterior styling, Camry, 6 (both of which need skirts or else they are meh) and the Fusion all rank way ahead.

• 4 months later...