What is your next car purchase? revisited...

intrigued

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since my family is here, I asked them their wish list. Here it is.

Me: Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (its that red one's fault. Dammit!)

J: Cadillac CTS-V

Son: G8 GT (wife says no. haha)

Daughter in law: Enclave CXL

Daughter: Camaro (no)

Camaro could be quite the car for the daughter. Should attract quite a bit of male attention, which could be either good or bad.

Chris

Thats one reason it got the automatic no.

On Sunday we happened to be in the area of the Pontiac dealer that has the performance red G5 GT I've shown interest in. Luckily it was unlocked and we were able to sit in it and get a good feel for how comfortable it would be to own and use. I will say that after that experience, I'm less interested in the car. Being a two-door is definitely a big negative, as the "easy slide entry" passenger seat isn't so convenient to use, and is on the passenger side (the side blocked in with the garage wall at my house). It's trunk opening is very narrow and I could foresee it being difficult to load bulky items in there. The fit and finish of the dash & console are in need of some attention before being taken off the lot. Overall, the wife said it's a shame the car isn't available as a sedan and stated that she'd rather have the Vibe GT instead (this dealer already has a 2010 Vibe GT on the lot). This dealer also has the G8 V6 Sedan I'd want if I could get one... Pacific Slate Metallic with Onyx Leather and other upgrades. And like Camino stated in another thread, I am not too thrilled with the prospect of driving a 4cyl engine-equipped car as MY daily driver (like the HHR; great vehicle, but needs a V6 to make me truly happy). I'm going to hold out and see if any G8 deals can happen between now and when my lease ends in November - even if it's for a V6 model. If not, then I'll have to bend my rules and let the wife pick out a Vibe GT for herself and I'll inherit the G6 V6 Sedan that is currently her daily driver.

Now that Ford has announced investing $550m to retool the Expedition plant for global Focus production, I'll get that over the Fiesta, so long as it has similar styling. The Focus will be made in the US (not Mexico, like the Fiesta), and it will undoubtedly be safer, too.

Now that Ford has announced investing $550m to retool the Expedition plant for global Focus production, I'll get that over the Fiesta, so long as it has similar styling. The Focus will be made in the US (not Mexico, like the Fiesta), and it will undoubtedly be safer, too.

The new Focus looks SO awesome. I bet it handles great too.

plus, 6 speed manuals standard!!! Yayyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!1111oneoneeleventy

We got two Atlantis Green Milans in today, I had been wanting to see that colour. It is very dark, in fact I had to look at the sunny side to tell it from Tuxedo Black. It's a shame the Milan 2.5L manual is configured so constrictively, it is an absolute base model only, whereas the Fusion with the same powertrain can be had in base and SE trims.

As a small car fan...I am really happy. Mito may be coming here from Alfa/Fiat, a 500 based small car may come, the cooper will remain in production, the Solstice and Sky will hang around for another year, even though the SS is going the HHR is staying in production, the Focus and Fiesta are coming here, I'm starting to like the Nissan Cube...should be lots of cool small stuff on the market. Plus the Chevy Cruz looks good also...

Chris

GMC...G8 V6 Sedan FTW!

Chris

I agree Chris... here's a picture of my dealership's G8 inventory (they have a few more scattered around the lot too, including 3 GXP models); the Pacific Slate Metallic (V6) on the front end is the one I'd like to have:

DSCN9944.jpg

Here's another shot, just of the Pacific Slate Metallic one:

DSCN9941.jpg

I have been looking online at a really nice, low-mileage 2000 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi, but I'm thinking that if I'm going to go with a V6-equipped car, a brand-new G8 V6 Sedan would be the better choice. I'm just going to have to wait until a pull-ahead program is offered for my lease period or wait until October/November when the lease ends and see what G8 V6 inventory is left and if I can afford one.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

As a small car fan...I am really happy. Mito may be coming here from Alfa/Fiat, a 500 based small car may come, the cooper will remain in production, the Solstice and Sky will hang around for another year, even though the SS is going the HHR is staying in production, the Focus and Fiesta are coming here, I'm starting to like the Nissan Cube...should be lots of cool small stuff on the market. Plus the Chevy Cruz looks good also...

Chris

Like the Fiesta, Fusion, Cruze does look good....

That slate blue is great. GM seems to have some of the best colors in any era, be it the 50's, 60's, 70's, or now.

1960's...Verdero Green and Cortez Silver FTW

1950's, the Turqoise on the 57 Chevy is just THE color for that car, my 57 was that color (but I repainted it dark blue and white).

Now-That slate is just as hot on the G8. Like I said elsewhere (I think in GM4life's thread) GM cars just look "right" in dark colors to me.

And Satty...I feel the same way about fox body ragtops.

Right now I am not in the position to buy one...but fun, cheap, and easy to modify sounds good to me. I also like your idea of the Wrangler.

Only problem is that once you own a convertilbe and get addicted, your addicted. I seldom drive mine with the top up unless it's a thunderstorm or a blizzard.

...and yes, Dave...the Cruze looks very, very good. GM may have a bright future in spite of all of us here and our doubts. The Cruze is one HUGE step in the right direction.

Chris

There is a white, late 80's GT sitting in a parking lot with a big FOR SALE sign in the window. I should stop and see how much they're asking. I've got a friend who currently owns 3, had been as many as 5, but he lost one in a divorce and got rid of one after raping it for the parts he needed. I've also bee looking around eBay for '93-'98 convertibles, the V6s are going really cheap.

• 2 months later...

I got to play around with a Clubman today while we were picking up a new accessory bike rack and I fell in love, but not necessarily with the one they had in stock. Another dealership has a Mellow Yellow Cooper with the stick in stock, but nothing can happen until we get something clarified with C4C. I bought the Buick last July but the title wasn't issued until October, so we're waiting to see what they mean by "continuously insured and registered to the same owner for the full year preceding the trade-in."

The title says I purchased it on July 31st, and the plates expire this month, so I'm pretty sure they'll go on that and not when the title was issued.

The dealer said the C4C credit plus another trade-in wouldn't be a problem, but finding an acceptable Clubman might be since I'm not willing to wait for months like the wife did. The yellow one in KC isn't really equipped how I'd like.

The title says I purchased it on July 31st, and the plates expire this month, so I'm pretty sure they'll go on that and not when the title was issued.

The dealer said the C4C credit plus another trade-in wouldn't be a problem, but finding an acceptable Clubman might be since I'm not willing to wait for months like the wife did. The yellow one in KC isn't really equipped how I'd like.

I do not think it should be a problem. Date of sale is when actually the title is transferred - while paperwork may take a while. Do you have insurance since that date? Good luck. Which other car are you trading in? Prius?

I want a convertible soooooooooo bad. Fox body Mustang convertibles seem to be calling me.

I've thought before about a Fox ragtop to go with my '87 GT hatchback, if I had the garage space. I looked at a clean '86 GT convertible about 10 years ago... I do want a Mustang GT convertible sooner or later, most likely an '05-09 or the '10+...

Rob

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

It's going to take a while, but besides upgrading to a MINI Cooper S or MINI JCW, I have been thinking about a colleague's Scirocco... hers is a TDI, but I wonder if VW sells a 170hp turbo I4 engine on that car...

Here's that crazy GMTG74 again :P

As much as it pains me, I'm going to give up on my quest for a 2009 Pontiac G8 (V6). I missed out on my opportunity back at the beginning of July due to family issues, and since then the incentives I can qualify for have not been good enough for me to afford the monthly payment. The GMC Sierra SLE Crew Cab 4WD has been out of the question for a long time now and unless I hit the lottery to afford both the monthly payment AND the weekly gas bill, won't be back on the list. So where does that leave me? Other than the G8 Sedan, there's no other 2009 GM vehicle I want, so I will pass on going for a 2009 at this time (though I'm sure the labor day sales event may attempt to lure me back in...). I am not satisfied with a small-sized vehicle (i.e. HHR), nor for a daily driver with a 4 cylinder engine (the only Malibu I can afford).

I am at this time considering a slightly older used car (I know, I should be looking at used trucks, especially SUVs, but they're still selling at much higher prices than what I'm comfortable paying). I don;t want to say anything more about it until I check it out. But I'm considering going with used for the time being, and then looking at 2011 MY vehicles (maybe even 2012, if I can hold out that long!).

I hear you GMTG74. Glad to know there are other people here only attracted to a few new GM vehicles.

Used new Bu V6 perhaps?

Or go cheap, get a Malibu Maxx, and then spend some coin on a nice vintage GMC truck.

Or get that Scion TC your step son is lusting after....(NOT!)

Chris

I hear you GMTG74. Glad to know there are other people here only attracted to a few new GM vehicles.

Used new Bu V6 perhaps?

Or go cheap, get a Malibu Maxx, and then spend some coin on a nice vintage GMC truck.

Or get that Scion TC your step son is lusting after....(NOT!)

Chris

Nah, he has a more interesting and little older ride in mind, and that I approve of, if it happens. An interesting mix of nice and not commonplace.

A new car isn't in the cards for a while I think. However the next one will be a 2002+ 300M Special. If we get and `02 or newer we'll be able to audio controls which I really want. pre `02 LH cars didn't have that feature available, and modifying them to be able use audio controls is very difficult and not worth the effort. More importantly perhaps is that `01 and newer models had side airbags. I'd love to get Pro Am seats for it too, and I would swap out the fake carbon fiber from real walnut trim.

Nah, he has a more interesting and little older ride in mind, and that I approve of, if it happens. An interesting mix of nice and not commonplace.

I went to see it today... I'm going to the bank tomorrow to see what can be done. Look for a message or e-mail from me in the morning (I'm too tired tonight to write!!). Let's just say while it's not perfect (but darn close I think), I'm in love :lovey:

I went to see it today... I'm going to the bank tomorrow to see what can be done. Look for a message or e-mail from me in the morning (I'm too tired tonight to write!!). Let's just say while it's not perfect (but darn close I think), I'm in love :lovey:

Great!

A new car isn't in the cards for a while I think. However the next one will be a 2002+ 300M Special. If we get and `02 or newer we'll be able to audio controls which I really want. pre `02 LH cars didn't have that feature available, and modifying them to be able use audio controls is very difficult and not worth the effort. More importantly perhaps is that `01 and newer models had side airbags. I'd love to get Pro Am seats for it too, and I would swap out the fake carbon fiber from real walnut trim.

I love real walnut trim in a car.

Chris

...and GMTG74, Satty...keep us posted...

Chris

Sorry that I'm being secretive here... I don't want to jinx it by saying what it is just yet. caddycruiser knows because of his expertise in this particular car and he has been a great help to me so far. Hopefully very soon I can make a post about this car; if it doesn't work out, then I'll spoil the fun and let everyone in.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Sorry that I'm being secretive here... I don't want to jinx it by saying what it is just yet. caddycruiser knows because of his expertise in this particular car and he has been a great help to me so far. Hopefully very soon I can make a post about this car; if it doesn't work out, then I'll spoil the fun and let everyone in.

It's A Caddy!

:scratchchin:

Yep, I know what it is... :neenerneener:

Perhaps... :AH-HA_wink: Stay tuned. We'll see soon enough if confirmed, which I'm helping out with. Let's just say it's a lot different than Roger's '07 Aura...a lot.

Edited by caddycruiser

Taking the spotlight off Roger for a bit...me.

Hmm. G8 GT now and it will stay regardless, and for some time. That said, next up may be the addition of some kind of SUV, small or medium, think Equinox'ish. At least that's my latest thought, though last time it was Corvette. And after that, Tahoe. Both of which would be used, if the pick. But probably something more practical with some height and also a 4-cyl/6-speed or efficient V6, of some sort. No rush. Just a friend to the G8, eventually.

Oooh. Or a Solstice coupe, too. I'd do that before a Corvette, for sure, and keep with my Pontiac lineage. Wow, all GM's. A lot of outside possibilities too...but just too many to go through.

May or may not have something finalized tomorrow, depends on how long it takes to get 2 cars on a trailer 400 miles on mostly 2 lane roads.

Quoting myself, what a douche. Anyways, Jetta Sportwagen TDI, the deal deal was, by far, the most complicated thing I have ever been a part of. It was supposed to be here today, but it'll be Monday.